The Mackey House Reviews

156 | Savannah, GA

156 Reviews for The Mackey House

Kimc · Married on 04/28/2012

KimCM S says : 04/28/2012

The Mackey House did an AMAZING job with my wedding. They take care of SO much and are so helpful that I was able to enjoy my day without worrying about details. They were very flexible with details that I wanted to add to make my wedding unique. For example, I designed my own center pieces instead of using theirs and fully expected to have to set them up myself. However, at the rehearsal they let us know that we could set one up as an example and they would do the rest! They also let us put pictures of ourselves all over the house so that it looked like our own home. They put up flowers and paper lanterns in my color scheme without me having to ask. They worked with my wedding band to make sure they sounded great. The food was AMAZING. I would recommend them to anyone getting married in Savannah!!

Sent on 05/24/2012

J · Married on 08/03/2011

I want to get married again! Oh, same husband but I want to get married at The Mackey House! This is Savannah's best kept secret but it should not be. This house is a photographer's dream! From the large Spanish-moss dripping trees out front to welcome your guests as they arrive to the fountain in the middle of pond that has beautiful white ducks swim across. I love to photograph brides on the white picket bridge that covers a small stream for beautiful, breath-taking photos. Below inside is a spacious changing area for brides and grooms and upstairs that holds several hundred people. The dj is fun, The Mackey's are a wonderful family that go above and beyond to make sure your wedding is your dream come true. Can't argue with experience! I am honored to be their wedding photographer. Jamie Dream Weaver Photos

Sent on 08/20/2011

Tucker · Married on 07/18/2011

"Beautiful location for a wedding", tucker from Lawrenceville, Georgia
    The Mackey was the perfect place for my daughters wedding. It turned out to be a beautiful wedding and reception.Fred and Laura were wonderful to work with.Everything went so well. The food was great and plenty of it.They really do there best to make sure you are pleased.I would also definately recommend using Dave there DJ he is was so wonderful to work with.He made sure everything went off without any problems.Dave is absouletly worth the money.All of our guest were really impressed and had a wonderful time. Definately a beautiful day to remember.

Sent on 08/17/2011

Jen · Married on 05/15/2011

Jenny Martin says: May 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm
    I truly cannot thank you enough!!!!! It was the most BEAUTIFUL baby shower. I could have never even dreamed that it would be so enchanting. All of my guests commented that they have never had so much fun at a baby shower:) We all loved the decorations, and it was so nice to have such a special day at the most amazing place. Thank you sooooo much I will never forget it, I don’t think my friends will either!!!!! Thank you again and again!!!!

Sent on 05/17/2011

B · Married on 05/14/2011

Crystal and I cannot thank you enough for opening your beautiful home to us on our wedding day. We Got married on May 14,2011 in the pavilion located on site. After we just moved up stairs for the reception. The transition was easy for all our guest and their was even an elevator for some of the grandparents! If you are looking for a truly southern venue than look no further! This Place is simply beautiful. Fred and Laura Mackey are some of the easiest folks to work with when it comes to planing a wedding. The wait staff are very professional and nice, the food is to die for and the DJ is GREAT! If you are looking into outsourcing your DJ please give Dave a look. Not only is he really nice, funny, and gets the crowd going, he knows the lay of the land and since he has been performing weddings there for a long time he can act as your wedding “planner”. He truly has a confidence about him and really knows how to make all your transitions go smoothly. We could not have asked for a better venue for our wedding or better people to host it. Thanks again Fred and Laura for making our special day come true!

Sent on 06/26/2011

C · Married on 05/06/2011

Thank you again and again for helping us make this “surprise vow renewal ceremony” for my daughter Kristy Weed so “special”! We were just blown away with how absolutely beautiful and perfect everything was on May 6, 2011! Words just cannot describe it, absolutely breathtaking! Everything including the whole staff was just PERFECT!!! Thank you for allowing Kristy & Jeff to make these wonderful memories in such a magical dreamland!

Cindy Perry

Sent on 05/13/2011

M · Married on 04/30/2011

If you are looking for a classic southern wedding venue, then the Mackey House is the place. Our daughter, Elizabeth, was marriedA pril 30, 2011 at the Mackey House and the entire event went off flawlessly. From the hospitality and expertise of Laura and Fred Mackey to the wedding coordinator Dave, you could not ask for a more professional, dedicated and knowledgeable group of individuals.

The grounds are well-manicured and picture perfect. The house is magnificent with the furnishings to accompany it. It is southern hospitality at its finest.

Thank you Mackey House for making our daughter’s wedding the perfect event!

Mike and Becky Nunnelly

Sent on 07/12/2011

Emily · Married on 06/16/2018

We had our wedding here in June. It was so beautiful. The grounds at the mackey house can't be beat! The staff was excellent and took care of moving the ceremony when it started to rain right before our ceremony was to take place. Throughout the process they were very flexible and willing to work with us to make the day exactly as we wanted. I would highly recommend this venue!!

Sent on 07/19/2018

Stephanie · Married on 06/18/2016

The Mackey House did an excellent job for our wedding. Everyone was super attentive to all of the details we requested and very prompt with any e-mails we sent. The venue was so beautifully decorated everywhere (the twinkle lights were my favorite) and provided such a great backdrop for all of our pictures. We had many guests commenting on how nice it was to be able to wander around the property and see how nicely everything was set up, even in areas where the main events weren't happening. Everyone we worked with at The Mackey House was helpful in making sure our wedding day was everything we wanted and within our price range. I was concerned the deck was going to be cramped considering the amount of guests we had (150), including a 5 piece band and photo booth, but it all fit perfectly and still allowed ample space for dancing. I would HIGHLY recommend The Mackey House for any events!

Sent on 07/30/2016

Jessica · Married on 04/08/2016

The Mackey House proved to be an exceptional venue for our wedding. Throughout our engagement process we never second guessed or regretted our decision to choose The Mackey House. It was our first and only venue we looked at, because we feel in love with it right away! The grounds were beautiful and at night it looks like a fairytale. The venue gives you an option in case of rain, which is a huge relief for any couple. During our engagement, Dave was fantastic and on point with every detail we wanted. He was super organized in our two meetings and brought a lot of suggestions to help make the day different and unique. On the wedding day, there was terrible traffic that caused guests to be late. Dave came to me, the bride, and then the groom to ask what we wanted, not our parents. That was very important to us, because he understood the wedding day was about us, no one else. We had a late start to the reception due to photos and lots of drama at the reception with our dads. All our bridal party and several guests raved about his great personality during the event and were so shocked how smoothly he ran the entire day. The Mackey House was everything we could have dreamed of and made our wedding day absolutely beautiful!

Sent on 06/04/2016
  • Bobbie

Bobbie · Married on 07/17/2015

The Mackey House is absolutely gorgeous and the perfect venue for our wedding! The entire staff was very helpful.

Sent on 07/23/2015

The Mackey House's reply:

What makes the Mackey House truly unique is that we offer an almost unlimited ability create options, decorate and accessorize our venue to meet any taste, creative vision and/or theme for a wedding or other event. It's this ability that ensures that every event is "perfect", as Bobbie commented, for their function. The Mackey House staff is truly second to none in terms of creative ideas, experience, skills and ability to assist and manage every event.

Blair · Married on 03/20/2015

I can not say enough how beautiful everything came out!! My ceremony and reception we stunning! All of guests raved about how much fun they had. Highly recommend!

Sent on 03/24/2015

The Mackey House's reply:

Stunning is a pretty good description of this event. Blair and Stephen had a fabulous group of guests and they partied like it was "1999". This was a full destination wedding for the couple and their guests and everyone will be talking about this event for quite a while. Savannah and The Mackey House make destination weddings truly memorable.

Tracy · Married on 05/02/2014

My husband and I eloped at The Mackey House in Savannah, GA this year. We were thrilled with how everything turned out on our special day! Dave was wonderful and made us feel very welcome! Thank you to all the staff and the beautiful Mackey House for being a part of our wedding day and helping make such beautiful memories!

Sent on 05/13/2014

The Mackey House's reply:

Tracy and Jerry had a beautiful, intimate wedding. The guests attending were truly some of the most important people in their life and the love and affection everyone shared was inspiring. Thank you for allowing The Mackey House to share the moment.

Diana · Married on 04/20/2013

We had our reception only at The Mackey House & it was SPECTACULAR!! I love this venue! The owners are great to work with & so accommodating. We live in Atlanta & they made themselves available on the weekends we were in Savannah to meet with us to make sure all the plans were set. I was never the girl with this fantasy wedding idea in my head & Laura was great at just making it all happen for us. I honestly had very few ideas on the particulars & I just left it up to her team to fill in all the blanks. They did a wonderful job & I couldn't have been happier. DJ Dave did a fabulous job at the church helping with music & coordinating & then being the MC for the night at the house. I couldn't have done it without him guiding us. I look back now & wish the reception had been about 5 hours longer. :) We had a fabulous time in that beautiful, big house. It was really cool to have the pool covered & to be out dancing on it. This gave us a ton of space to party. The food was amazing! I have heard nothing but good things from our guests. One big plus for anyone familiar with the gnats in Savannah, they have none at the Mackey House! This was a huge win for us after looking at places down at Tybee and getting eaten alive, then going out into the woods to this beautiful house & not one bug bite. WIN! I now have a friend looking to get married there. Keep up the GREAT work Mackey's! Thanks again!

Sent on 07/09/2013

Kendall · Married on 10/21/2012

The Mackey House made our day the most magical, perfect Savannah wedding we could have ever imagined. Their venue package includes SO much. They're the best value we found by a landslide, and you sacrifice NOTHING. The Mackeys are warm, sweet people -- as are everyone who works with them. We selected their in-house DJ/MC/Director Dave, and that shouldn't even be a question for you. Dave works directly alongside the Mackeys, and he is integral in the operation. He's a fantastic planner, and he's a true God-send when it comes to keeping things smooth. Our family and friends were as blown away as we were at our rehearsal, and he calmed everyone's nerves. The only thing we struggled with was we are both working professionals and we didn't have a wedding planner, so our preferred method of contact was email, but that was not their best method of contact. However, that was more reflective upon us than them. When we called, they answered or responded within a day. Our night was perfect, and planning was SO easy.

Sent on 10/31/2012
  • Alasia

Alasia · Married on 01/19/2020

A lovely venue

We fell in love with this venue two years before the wedding so we booked it! It was beautiful, they kept up with our records, they made sure to provide a list of preferred vendors, making my planning so much easier, and they were very open to letting us come and tour the ground as needed by appointment. My family and friends raced over how beautiful it was! The only reasons I rate responsiveness as a 4 is because trying to get in touch with someone there by phone can be a bit tough. And over the two years we booked, they had at least 4 different people that had to take over our event; that was a bit tiresome. Overall it’s a beautiful venue!

Sent on 01/20/2020
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 04/27/2019

Beautiful Spring Wedding

We got engaged March 2018 and booked Mackey a week later after looking at other venues and not being blown away. I found Mackey online and called and was informed they only had 2 weekend in spring of 2019 left, although I almost pulled the trigger without seeing it I drove down there the next day from Atlanta and immediately was sold from pulling onto the property. It is so so beautiful with the Spanish moss and I loved the fountain and natural flowers planted throughout. When I envisioned my wedding I didn’t want a stuffy feeling hotel ballroom I want something that felt like an intimate garden party and encompassed the southern charm of Savannah which Mackey Property did. The guy who gave us a tour was awesome and then I communicated with two ladies throughout my planning process. What I was very impressed with after hearing that Mackey house was very “strict” was I asked if we could do the southern tradition of burying the bottle of bourbon to ward off rain on our wedding day. I really expected to be told no or sent off into the woods somewhere but Mr. Mackey himself met us when we arrived to do that a month before our wedding day and let us bury right there near our ceremony site! I loved it. After the ceremony my husband and wedding party all came over and dug it up and passed it around! We had exactly 100 people and although Mackey provides tables and chairs in your cost I did end up renting larger tables to seat 10 people instead of there’s which seat 8 just to avoid have a bunch of tables for spacing. I honestly can say 10 tables of 10 was comfortable but I wouldn’t do many more people than that for a deck reception! I have no complaints I felt Mackey did everything they promised however I would like to see the downstairs area a little more updated. Another thing was my husband left his sunglasses in the get ready room and we never saw them again. But overall it was a great experience!

Sent on 09/18/2019
  • Kelsey

Kelsey F. · Married on 01/19/2019

Magical Night

Our wedding was more than perfect! We had such a magical experience at The Mackey House. Brooke and Elizabeth were very responsive and helpful during the whole process. I didn’t have a wedding planner and they made planning our big day incredibly easy. The venue is truly beautiful with the gardens and garden lights. We originally were going to get married under the arbor but with a January wedding we decided to get married next to the brick fireplace. Our ceremony felt intimate and I’m so happy we decided to move it “indoors”.

I would have liked to have access to the venue the whole day, not just 3 hours prior, to really enjoy the ready rooms and be able to get ready on site.

All of our guests LOVED this venue and we did too.

Photos included in review were taken by Carrie Friesen Photography.

Sent on 01/27/2019
  • Zoe

Zoe S. · Married on 10/19/2018

Fairy-Tale Atmosphere with Southern Charm

Honestly, you want to have your wedding here. It is a sprawling, yet charming and intimate atmosphere for you and your guests to enjoy the day in.

I enjoyed the vendor list and the in-house services. Combined with the Wedding Planner, they made the day effortless and move like a finely-wrought music box.

I would do it again. I would do it here. Sublime.

Sent on 02/02/2019

Celeste · Married on 06/04/2016

I am so glad that I picked the Mackey House for my wedding venue! They did an awesome job setting everything up the day of and made sure that I didn't have to worry about a thing. Everyone at my wedding raved about how gorgeous the venue was--which is obviously why I chose it! I was so glad that even with the ridiculous Savannah summer heat, my wedding guests had a great time and enjoyed themselves (especially glad that the Mackey House had a few giant fans on the deck where the reception was held). The only problem I had was responsiveness from the manager. I understand that they are very busy, and this was never a major problem. I always received an answer for all of my questions.

Sent on 06/27/2016

Lindsay · Married on 05/21/2016

My husband and I got married last week at the Mackey House and we honestly couldn't of dreamed of a more amazing wedding if we tried. Our family and friends had such a great time. The staff at the Mackey House did a fantastic job. We hired Dave Gibson as our day of coordinator as well as our DJ and he was just the best; could not of done it without him. All the vendors the MH recommended were top notch. (Wicked Cakes, Improvisions, Magnolia Catering) Thank you guys so much!!!

Sent on 06/01/2016

If having a wedding at the Mackey House, definitely sign up for Dave's help and have him DJ. He kept the reception upbeat, an everyone was dancing the entire night. We are from Dallas, and our wedding was perfect at the Mackey House- especially with the gorgeous Christmas decorations!

Sent on 12/28/2014

The Mackey House's reply:

Weddings are a truly special day and the perfect wedding will have a lot of details to manage. We are happy that most of our couples choose Dave as their Event Director and Entertainment Specialist as his experience and skills ensure a smooth event for the bride and groom and fun for the guests. Good planning and good execution make a great event. Thanks for the compliments on our holiday décor as well. We are constantly updating our decorating to keep a new, fresh and unique look for every event.

Elizabeth · Married on 05/03/2014

We had our May 3rd reception at the Mackey House and we could not be happier with our experience. We worked with Shelley and she was absolutely delightful. On our big day, every single guest was just floored with how beautiful the venue was. And we were thrilled with not only how beautiful it was, but with how smooth our entire event went. There is not a single thing that I would have changed or wished to be different. It was such a lovely evening and we are so grateful for everything they did to make our reception such a success!!

Sent on 05/20/2014

The Mackey House's reply:

We work hard to maintain a fresh and unique look to our facilities and grounds. We love the reaction and expressions we see from guests when they first arrive. But our biggest satisfaction comes from the bride and groom when they tell us their event was a job well done. Thank you, Elizabeth and Josh.

Katie · Married on 03/23/2013

The venue turned out to be absolutely beautiful! We had our ceremony in the garden and the reception in the outdoor pavilion. It threatened rain (100% forecast the night before), and Laura Mackey was so easy to work with when it came to having a backup plan! Turns out, it rained all day until about 2:45 when we arrived to the venue, and it stopped until after the reception! Nonetheless, everybody was very flexible when trying to plan a solution for the rain. I priced a variety of venues in the Savannah area and though it sounds expensive at first, the things they provide (including the set up and break down, tables, chairs, linens, etc) make it about the same as DIY at a much cheaper venue. We brought in outside catering from Paul Kennedy (highly recommend) and it worked out perfectly. The only negative I have is that I had set up a meeting to see some of the things they had to provide for centerpieces (which they advertise they have), and the woman I was supposed to meet with wasn't there and had left early for the day. She was then supposed to email me photos of the options, and I contacted her multiple times, but never received any photos. I just prepared ahead and did my own centerpieces. Other than that, our experience was flawless!!

Sent on 04/08/2013
  • Gina

Gina · Married on 03/16/2018

The Mackey House is a gorgeous venue! I mean, breathtaking. We received nothing but compliments from our guests about it. The one frustrating thing about the venue was the amount of venue coordinators I went through. I had a total of 4 coordinators, one after the other, in the amount of time that I decided to go with the venue. For some reason, staff doesn’t seem to stick around. It didn’t affect the day of at all though! The venue was well worth the money we spent.

Sent on 03/20/2018