The Lodges at Gettysburg Reviews

The Lodges at Gettysburg 5
The Lodges at Gettysburg 6
The Lodges at Gettysburg 7

Emily · Married on 10/01/2011

Our wedding was Oct 1st, 2011. We heard about The Lodges at Gettysburg through word of mouth. It was just being built and we were their 2nd wedding. The building is absolutely beautiful. It has a rustic feel to it, with stone, hard wood and cast-iron chandeliers. It does not take much decorating to make the room beautiful. The Coordinator was extremely helpful and down to earth, she made it very easy to feel comfortable with her. The Lodges do have The Carriage House cater. The food was excellent and the service was very professional. It was a little more than what we wanted to spend for the food/venue, but it was definately worth it all. We actually ran out of white wine early in the night and the catering company ran out and got us more during dinner so it worked out perfectly. All the guest kept complimenting on how pretty the reception room was. After the reception, my husband and I stayed in the bridal lodge. It was very nice and very comfortable. And the next morning, they provided bagles, danish, juice and coffee. Dispite the rainy weather, everything worked out perfectly!

Sent on 10/20/2011

Kim · Married on 08/26/2017

The Lodges is beautiful and required minimal "extra decorating" which was great. Beth was easy to work with, very responsive and made every effort to accommodate our specific and off the wall requests. We loved that all our guests could stay right on the property and spend the whole weekend together with us. It was tons of fun. The only negative I have is the short "window" for our guests to book rooms under our "block" and after the reception I had set my bouquet aside to bring home but it went missing which was devastating. The ended up finding it hidden in the back of a refrigerator and reimbursed my gas for the long drive back to retrieve it. Overall it was a wonderful experience.

Sent on 09/04/2017

Kelly · Married on 10/09/2015

We fell in love with the Lodges on our first visit, and we managed to book a Friday evening wedding. The location had everything we were looking for -- a beautiful outdoor spot to get married, a gorgeous indoor space for the reception, and it allowed our guests to spend the night at the same place as the reception and ceremony, for maximum convenience and safety.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of snags. My parents felt several times like they had difficulty getting a breakdown of the bill -- with such a large amount of money being spent, my parents wanted to know what every penny was going toward. We had paid to have a bonfire after the ceremony, as well as a bonfire the night before, as a way to gather friends and family who arrived the day before the ceremony (as we didn't have a rehearsal dinner). Well, the bonfire the night before was a disaster -- there was absolutely no lighting around the fire or on the path down to it, so no one could see anything. Then, the day of the ceremony, there was an epic deluge (NOT the fault of the Lodges, and they did a great job moving the ceremony inside). However, it meant we couldn't have a bonfire after, and my parents had some problems getting a refund.

Also, as part of the wedding package, we got to choose to have several rooms be ready before the official 4 PM check in time. This was crucial, since some of the wedding party was arriving the morning of the wedding. When one of my bridesmaids arrived at 9 AM and tried to check in, the woman at the desk (right in front of me!) said, very snidely "I don't think so!" I pointed out that I was getting married in a few hours and had specially arranged that my bridesmaid be able to check in and have a cabin ready. The rude staff member then said "well why didn't you say so!" to my bridesmaid. I later found out this same staff member had given my Matron of Honor a lot of trouble when my MoH went to the desk to pick up her welcome bag.

Sent on 06/06/2016

The atmosphere and setting made me fall in love with the Lodges. Both Beth and Suzie were wonderful to work with and I cannot say a harsh word about either of them. They were both there if I needed or wanted anything and were always willing to do anything to help. It was supposed to rain the day of our outdoor ceremony and they waited until the very last min with a back up rain plan. The weather held out for us but knowing that they were committed to waiting as long as they could for our outside wishes was comforting. Our food and drinks were commented on by all guests and they were very satisfied for the most part. Some wished they had more meat in the beef and crab cake option. All in all, our day went very well and I would highly recommend the Lodges for your wedding. There were a few things that I do think could be improved dealing with guest accommodations and catering. First, check in time was at 2pm the day of our wedding and some guests were not able to get into their rooms as late as 3:30pm, our wedding was at 4pm. This really caused a problem because out of town guests were pushing it for time to get ready. I do know that they had 3 weddings our particular holiday weekend, one Friday, Saturday, and then ours on Sunday. I understand being busy but more care needed to be taken to make sure rooms were ready at check in time. Some guests were also missing their welcome bags when checked in and they were given to them later. 2 guest rooms that I know of for sure, never received their welcome bag. This was extremely frustrating to me because I spent a lot of time on them. The last thing that I think could be improved upon was the catering employees were very loud and cursing about the venue, in the room where the bridal party was waiting to be introduced. Again, I understand that this is one individual and should not be held against the place as a whole, but there was no need for his language or volume to the point where my husband had to say something to him.

Sent on 09/09/2014

The Lodges at Gettysburg's reply:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very pleased that your wedding ceremony and reception went very smoothly. I did want to clarify that check-in time is at 4pm, not 2pm. The housekeeping staff worked extremely hard to have better than 3/4 of the guest lodges ready by 2pm, after being sold out the night before. I did investigate with the person who distributed your gift bags and was assured that they went into the rooms that you had listed on the tags. We have never had an incident of this nature and I am terribly sorry if there was any error on our part. It is also out of character for any staff member to use foul language, the employee has been reprimanded and this incident will never occur again. Thank you for letting us know that this happened.

We were very honored to be chosen for your special day and hope that you will return and stay with us on your one year anniversary!

Desirae · Married on 05/10/2014

Beth and Susie were great! I felt stress free the day of and we started on time. The venue is great and my guests loved it! We didn't need to spend a lot to enhance the venue, which to us saved us money and stress. The food was great!! Our guests went back for second and thirds and told us how great the food was. The cabins were great for our guests so no one had to travel and they were like mini suites instead of typical hotel rooms. I would recommend this venue to anyone.

Sent on 05/13/2014

4.2
      3.0

The second I walked into the ballroom at The Lodges at Gettysburg I knew I found my wedding venue. The grounds are gorgeous and they are continuously making updates to enhance the already beautiful scenery. It was perfect for a fall wedding. The lodges are spotless and such a cool place for all of your guests to stay. Susie, your "day of coordinator", was the best!! She was so accommodating, and really went above and beyond to make sure our day was flawless. We even had a hiccup with the rain and decided to have the ceremony outside with a half hour to spare, and she didn't even hesitate. The only thing that stopped me from giving a 5/5 would be the interactions I had leading up to the day. I found Beth to be very unhelpful and was always the one reaching out to her. It felt like pulling teeth to get answers or schedule meetings. There were also discrepancies in pricing from what Melody told me the first time I went to the venue and what Beth charged me on our final invoice, claiming she couldn't honor the other prices. Other than that the venue was great and our day was perfect!

Sent on 04/09/2015

3.0

This venue was SO perfect for our wedding! We couldn't imagine getting married anywhere else. The cabins were comfortable for out of town guests. The atmosphere at the lake was picture perfect and the rustic ball room was a great mix of both my husband and my styles. We were able to do pretty much anything that we requested including fireworks at the end of the night. The day ran pretty smoothly with a few hiccups. The hair and make up crew was running late and our fireworks were not timed correctly. Beth was our coordinator and she did pretty well, had some issues with communication. She wasn't there to coordinate on our wedding day though. Susie stepped in and was AMAZING! Overall, I wouldn't have wanted to get married anywhere else. This place holds a special place in our hearts!

Sent on 09/27/2016
  • Jamie Q.

Jamie · Married on 05/04/2013

3.8
      3.5

The Lodges at Gettysburg is hands down, a gorgeous wedding venue. The ceremony site is beautiful, on the water with the dock looked amazing. Gloryridge Hall is elegant- a modern, rustic look, which was everything we were looking for. The Lodges had a ton of perks- cute lodges to stay in for the night, no traveling between ceremony and reception sites, peace and quiet, an awesome bonfire site, and plenty of rooms to use for getting ready. We got a ton of compliments on the originality and beauty of the Lodges at and after our wedding. That being said, it wasn’t the easiest venue to work with. While the staff was responsive and nice, they were often confusing and misleading. At times, my husband and I weren’t sure if we were being lied to, or if honest mistakes were being made. It got to a point where all the mistakes or misunderstandings were adding up, and it does makes you wonder. I think the problem lies in the fact that the Lodges haven’t been around a long time, so they are still figuring out how things should run. At least, that seemed to be where the majority of our miscommunications came from. I also know our guests had a hard time booking rooms with them. Many people were not put on the room block which we had to correct, and since they are not a standard hotel, they don’t have a 24 hour staff there. And at the time of our event, they didn’t have their website set up to do bookings in a room block. So the guests called me and I had to intervene to either get someone to call them back or to move them into our room block. And in the end, there were guests told me they never even heard back and weren’t able to book a room at all. We were also overbilled, and had to spend time combing through our invoices to correct the error. So, would I recommend them? Absolutely! But I would advise you scrutinize the details of your event until they work out all their kinks.

Sent on 05/28/2013

3.8
      2.0
      3.0

I wish that I could give the venue a 5/5, I really do! It's beautiful, inside and out and we got so many compliments on it. Susie, the day of coordinator, was beyond amazing. She went above and beyond for us and when we decided to move the wedding back outside because the rain had stopped 45 minutes before the ceremony she didn't even blink she just got to work! However, we did a plated dinner and with close to 160 guests they did not have nearly enough staff. They had maybe 5 servers, and by the time most of us were done eating other tables still had not received their food. It was a huge hiccup and really delayed our night. We were also told that with 150 people a second bar would not be necessary but it absolutely was and I would recommend that to anyone with that amount of people. During the planning process be prepared to be the person reaching out to Beth, who is the event coordinator throughout the planning process. I had to reach out to her first every time to ask when we could schedule appointments, when we had to order table linens by etc. She was extremely rude and unhelpful and is the main reason I cannot give the venue a 5/5. After we had already paid the final invoice she realized that she made a mistake and days before the wedding we were told that we still owed a bunch of money because she did not do the calculations correctly. That is the last thing you want to be worried about days before your wedding when you thought everything was already paid for. Other than that the venue really was amazing and the lodges were so much fun for our guests to stay in!

Sent on 10/31/2014

3.4
      3.0

The venue is breathtaking and that is what sold me on picking the Lodges for my wedding. There are lovely indoor and outdoor options. They have an onsite salon and cabins right on the premises so everything is right there. This made for a nice weekend and made it very easy for the guests. The staff was mostly great. I believe the food choices could defiantly be better especially for what you are paying. Not very many seafood options. My only other gripe is the communication between the coordinator and myself. Considering this is one of the most important days in your life you would think there would be more contact from the coordinator but no I was always the one who had to reach out to set up appointments this get things worked out. A bit unprofessional in my opinion. If I had it to do again I think I defiantly would had looked around some more before booking this venue.

Sent on 02/15/2016

2.5
      2.5
      3.0

We planned a small private ceremony only (reception back home) as a destination wedding here. We booked the outdoor location on the deck and were well accommodated for just a small wedding party and no guests. We found the location beautiful (other than very high uncut grass) and the rooms were lovely, despite needing a good cobweb dusting. On the day of our wedding we came back from pictures around town for our sunset wedding to find the deck littered with trash from the previous wedding. The fountain was turned off in the lake. Our officiant arrived and informed us a drunk guest from that other wedding fell out the door and onto her as she checked with the front desk for our location. We scurried around in our formal attire cleaning up flowers and water bottles, paper and cans, while the officiant filled out our marriage license. As we finished the job, someone from the wedding party (not the staff) arrived in a truck to pick up some flower urns, and sure was surprised to see us. He said they were not informed of another wedding. While very nice and helpful previously, our "coordinator" was nowhere to be seen in this mess. We complained at the desk and when we returned home, we emailed asking for our ceremony fee back. We were refunded and offered a complimentary night on our anniversary.

Sent on 02/15/2015