The Grosse Pointe War Memorial Reviews

33 Reviews for The Grosse Pointe War Memorial

• Sarah

Sarah S. · Married on 10/10/2020

Best Service!!

If I could give The War Memorial a higher rating, I would! My husband and I had a lot of stress trying to replan our wedding during the pandemic. Originally, we were only supposed to use The War Memorial for our ceremony, but wanted to try to do a dinner there afterwards as well. Unfortunately there was no availability, but then the team contacted us as soon as there was a cancellation, and my husband and I could not be happier with the service we received. Our contact at The War Memorial was Nikki and she is the most amazing person! Nikki was right there with us every step of the way providing her insight and making sure everything was exactly what we wanted. I felt completely at ease and that was because of the team at The War Memorial. It is an absolutely gorgeous setting, but the people are what made the day so amazing. Leading up to the day was also so much less stressful because of the support from Nikki and her team. I don't think we have received this high level of service before. Not only that, but the food was absolutely incredible!! I could go on and on, but I'll just finish with I don't think our day would have been as easy and carefree without the team at The War Memorial.

Photos by Mark Adrian Photography

Sent on 11/01/2020

Christina D. · Married on 11/17/2018

The Best Venue!

This is an amazing venue! The staff truly went above and beyond for us. They had really helpful suggestions on timing and pretty much all the secrets on how to have a wonderful, memorable wedding. We had our ceremony and reception in the ballroom, with cocktail hour in the house and it worked out perfect. The food was GREAT! Our guests are still telling us what a wonderful time they had. I can't say enough about this venue, it's a beautiful place with great staff!

Sent on 12/22/2018

Lauren · Married on 06/02/2018

Our wedding at the War Memorial was absolutely unforgettable! Alondra was our coordinator and was so accommodating and on top of things throughout the whole process! She took care of last minute requests without pause and helped everything to go smoothly. At no point during the day did I feel stressed or worried that something was not going to be taken care of because she took charge and was readily available behind the scenes. The actual venue was so beautiful and made for some incredible pictures!

Sent on 08/21/2018

Gina · Married on 08/26/2017

I can't say enough about this venue and the wedding coordinator, Andrea. We had an outdoor ceremony and reception in the ballroom. Andrea truly went above and beyond in every aspect of the planning process. She was extremely professional and prompt when answering emails and phone calls (within the hour!). She was extremely on top of every detail. Everything on our wedding day went perfectly- even better than we expected. We had multiple guests tell us it was the best wedding they had been to. There are so many stunning photo backdrops. Even though our reception was in the ballroom, we were able to take a couple photos in the library of the Alger House. The food and cocktails were amazing, the servers and bartenders were great and the cocktail hour was elegant with the butler passed hors d'oeuvres . If you're even considering The War Memorial as a wedding venue, I would highly recommend it!

Sent on 10/04/2017

Kim · Married on 08/18/2017

My daughter’s wedding on 8/18/17 was exquisite. Grosse Pointe War Memorial offers rich history with a gorgeous view of Lake St. Clair, beautiful gardens and an elegant ballroom. Andrea was our wedding coordinator and she was a pleasure to work with. Andrea was professional, prompt, organized, and we respected her opinion. Andrea went above and beyond to make sure this was a perfect fairy tale wedding for my daughter. I felt as if Andrea cared about my daughter’s wedding as much as we did. I can’t say enough good things about the War Memorial. The service was impeccable by all of the staff at the reception, which includes the banquet manager Nikki, bartenders, to the wait staff, to the chefs and cooks. The food was phenomenal and our guests raved about the plated short-rib dinner that was served. The appetizers served before the reception was done with elegance by the staff and even honored my request to serve our guests appetizers out into the gardens. Overall experience and customer service has been truly exceptional. I highly recommend Grosse Pointe War Memorial as your wedding venue.

Sent on 09/07/2017

Elizabeth · Married on 05/06/2017

Awesome venue! Very professional and attentive. The best view you could ever ask for.

Sent on 05/26/2017

Ashley · Married on 09/10/2016

This venue is amazing and everyone raved about the food!! Andrea and Alondra were wonderful to work with. I was able to relax on my wedding day because they were so attentive to every detail. Even with a quick switch due to weather, everything flowed perfectly. I couldn't have asked for a better team!

Sent on 09/13/2016

Erica · Married on 07/30/2016

My husband and I had the wedding of our dreams at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial. I couldn't tell you how WONDERFUL, AMAZING, KIND Andrea was through the WHOLE process helping plan our wedding. Andrea was never late on any email, or phone call. She was always on time for everything. She made the whole planning process so smoothly, and never ever had me feeling stressed once. I knew as long as she was there everything would go according to plan, and it sure did! Our ceremony and reception was truly perfect. All our guests couldn't believe how beautiful the venue was, some said it was their favorite venue they have ever seen! We had sooo many compliments on how great the food was, everything was prepared perfectly. We chose the salmon and chicken picatta (best part it was steaming still when it came out :) ) The waiters were constantly filling up everyones waters and made sure everyone was satisfied. We got married end of July, but that didn't bother us because the AC was turned up at perfect temperature. Like I said before, if you're looking for a venue I highly recommend this one. Ask for Andrea no matter what, she is truly an amazing employee and wonderful at what she does but, also she is just a great person in general!!!!!!

Sent on 08/08/2016
  • F

Felicia · Married on 10/24/2015

Ask for Andrea!! I fear that wordy reviews are often skimmed & looked over, so if you take anything away from this review, it is this: talk to Andrea. She was incredible.
    Like many engaged couples, you browse all of the different wedding/reception venues. For us, we loved the food & consistency of the Italian halls in the nearby areas... But we wanted something classic, historic & with a beautiful ballroom & view of the water, The Grosse Pointe War Memorial was our top contender. We looked at The Whitney (a little small for 120+ guests) & The Colony Club (they took quite a while to get back to us & the lack of communication was concerning.) I do not mean to discount these venues, but as a new bride, I would appreciate this honesty. The GPWM was great with all communication. Our guests LOVED our location. Even more, our wedding was at the very end of October, & we were told that an outdoor ceremony was impossible. Andrea made it possible. Instead of a quick 'no', she waited until the late afternoon to call it & lo and behold, chairs were quickly set up & the ceremony took place on the back steps overlooking the gorgeous water.
    Further, she worked hard to make sure we weren't over-paying for teens who were only to eat a meal but not consume alcohol, which saved us money. She made sure that our many guests with food allergies were well taken care of. She was honest. A month before our wedding, the executive chef left & we were so worried about the food (my family can be very picky about their meal.) She didn't have to tell us, but she did & assured us that the food would be impeccable. Frank Turner & Fabrizia (executive & sous chef) are AWESOME. The food, drinks & dessert table were all delicious. For those of you who haven't been to the GPWM (they've recently renovated the ballroom & it's stunning.) please check it out. And to the staff at the War Memorial, thank you!

Sent on 10/26/2015

Everyone kept saying to us how beautiful our venue was and what a great view it was of the lake. They made our day stress free and everything was perfect!

Sent on 12/28/2014

Amanda · Married on 09/05/2014

Very beautiful location. Been there a few times for weddings including my own. Staff was very nice. Would highly recommend.

Sent on 09/13/2014

Victoria · Married on 08/05/2014

The Grosse Pointe War Memorial is amazing! Cheryl was more than helpful anytime I had a question. If I ever had to leave a voicemail, Cheryl got back to me in a timely matter. I had my ceremony and reception at the Grosse Pointe War memorial and I couldn't have been happier with my choice. The views are amazing and all my guest complemented me for weeks about the overall quality and service at the GPWM. If you are going for an upscale, vintage theme, like myself, this venue is PERFECT! My husband and I couldn't have asked for a better wedding venue. I give the GPWM five stars.

Sent on 09/08/2014

Meredith · Married on 06/01/2014

I had always liked the idea of a lakeside wedding and the War Memorial proved to be the most beautiful setting. We worked with Cheryl and she helped keep us on track on making our day the most memorable day ever. Everyone that we worked with at the War Memorial was so very helpful. They are very organized and efficient. The food was great and the service was wonderful.

Sent on 07/18/2014

Beautiful, elegant location! Wonderful service! Great quality! Wish I could do it all over again!

Sent on 01/03/2014

Beautiful, elegant, classy location! This was truly a dream wedding for my husband and I! We had our ceremony on the lawn and our reception in the ballroom. The food here is excellent, the views are amazing, and it lends such a romantic, classic vibe that is so perfect for all of the photography! We didn't have to take any off-site photos! Cheryl was very helpful for my husband and I, and also our families as we all had a lot of questions regarding preparations, deadlines, policies, etc. We couldn't have been happier with this venue's ceremony and reception package. We are so happy to know that we will always have our beautiful memories and photos from this venue. Wish we could do it again! We highly recommend this venue!

Sent on 03/05/2014

Kathryn · Married on 08/02/2013

My daughter's wedding on 8.2.13 was absolutely spectacular and highly due to the Grosse Pointe War Memorial and all it has to offer, from its beautiful location and views but more importantly its wonderful staff, from coordinator Cheryl, who was patient with and had an answer for every question, to the impeccable service by all of the staff at the reception. I am so glad my daughter picked this venue!

Sent on 08/18/2013

Anqunette · Married on 05/27/2011

Our wedding at the GPWM was simply stunning. It was an elegant, classic yet fun event that was so perfect, my husband says he wants to do it again! If you qualify to get married here, don't hesitate to do it. You will not be disappointed.

We had our ceremony on the lawn overlooking the water and even though it was a bit misty, the staff wiped off the chairs and allowed us to still have the ceremony outside. Our reception was in the ballroom and it was so gorgeous, people's jaws dropped when they walked in. The service, from the bartenders to the wait staff to the chefs and cooks, was impeccable. We had a plated dinner of either filet of beef or cognac chicken for 150 people and our guests raved about the food. We also had enough room for a 13 piece band, a bar, a candy bar and a shutter booth.

Throughout the entire process, Cheryl and her staff were always available to answer questions and accomodate any request. They worked with my decorator, planner and all other vendors to make sure we had nothing to worry about on our wedding day. But what I love the most about the War Memorial is that it's unique. I didn't want to get married in a hotel or a banquet hall. The War Memorial is a magnifnificently maintained mansion that gives a wedding a storybook setting. I smile every time I look at pictures of our wedding and I wish the evening wasn't over in a flash.

Sent on 07/18/2011

David · Married on 03/19/2011

Our experience at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial was simply wonderful. The entire facility is beautifully appointed and well maintained, and the atmosphere is just right for a classy event. In the case of our relatively small wedding (100 guests), the library provided a perfectly intimate setting for our ceremony, and the Alger House was an ideal venue for our evening reception. The food was delicious, and the service was excellent. Our captain and his crew were friendly, professional, and extremely helpful over the course of the evening--many of our guests commented on how impressed they were by the quality and generosity of the staff, and we couldn't have agreed more.

As soon as we expressed an interest in booking a date, we were greeted with open arms by everyone on staff, a feature of our experience which never wavered. Cheryl (our wedding coordinator) was on top of everything, and remained equal parts patient and flexible as she helped us through the planning process. From our first meeting with her to the moments before Meghan walked down the aisle, she was the consummate professional, and her support and guidance were an invaluable resource.

Needless to say, we would strongly recommend the Grosse Pointe War Memorial to anyone seeking a wedding venue in the metro Detroit area. We cannot say "thank you" enough to the amazing staff for the vital role they played in our special day.

Sent on 05/31/2011

David · Married on 03/19/2011

Sent on 05/31/2011

Melissa · Married on 07/24/2010

We had our wedding recpetion July 24th at the War Memorial and it was perfect! The service was excellant and the food was great! The Captain, Chad, and Cheryl were absolutely wonderful to work with. Everyone was very profressional and accomodating. I couldn't be happier with our wedding at the War Memorial!! It was the wedding of our dreams!!

Sent on 08/04/2010

Sohyon · Married on 10/04/2008

Simply outstanding....the person, the captain, who was in charge of the place, made my day with zero stress. The room were fabulous. They started the fire place on demand for me.

Sent on 10/21/2008

Kristin · Married on 09/06/2008

I couldn't think of a more gorgeous location for our wedding. Growing up in Grosse Pointe, I always knew this would be a perfect place to hold a wedding reception. Its elegant Italian-style columns and architecture give it a regal look though it is not too overly ornate so it still has a "clean" look to it (especially the ballroom which is surrounded by floor to ceiling windows overlooking the lake).

The maize garden and fountain make the perfect backdrop for a cocktail hour and nothing compares to the sprawling lawn that runs right up to the lake - makes for gorgeous pictures.

Since this is not a "typical" wedding location (hotel, hall, etc.) it doesn't feel cookie cutter at all and rather you feel like you are throwing a party at a mansion from back in the day.

The service from Cheryl and Sylvia at the War Memorial was great and they did everything they could to make the day as perfect as it was. The food was also delicious and the servers fantastic! I couldn't have imagined my wedding day anywhere else!

Sent on 12/03/2008

Andrea · Married on 07/12/2008

Wonderful, wonderful venue. Great staff and absolutely beautiful location.

Sent on 08/13/2008

Rachel · Married on 05/31/2008

I will NEVER forget our wedding at the GPWM. I still can't believe that was our wedding. Besides the absolute beauty of the place and grounds, the service was amazing. Everyone RAVED about the food! The event coordinator Cheryl, was the best. Every question I had, she answered so quick and was VERY helpful during the whole planning. Her recommendations were right on and we had so much fun working with her.

Sent on 10/16/2008

Rebecca · Married on 12/16/2006

The food was exceptional. This site was immaculate.

Sent on 09/21/2008