The Gables Inn and Gardens Reviews

14 | Ward, SC

14 Reviews for The Gables Inn and Gardens

14 The Gables Inn and Gardens Reviews

Abby · Married on 06/03/2017

Really couldn't have picked a better place to get married!! They were incredibly helpful the whole time and I would absolutely recommend this wonderful venue! Vickie worked with us from start to finish, making sure it was all the way we wanted it. She gave us suggestions and ideas for how to save money and recommended two of our other vendors. We had a horrible time trying to find a caterer, and when we told Vickie, she and her team pulled it all together for us! I bombarded Vickie with emails, especially in the two months leading up to the wedding, and she didn't even bat an eye. Just answered all my questions, and got it all back to me within a day or two, tops. The day itself went off without a hitch, and I'm so grateful to The Gables for making it that way! The venue itself is absolutely gorgeous, and they've decorated it beautifully. It's really flexible for anything from a tiny guest list to an enormous one, and they customize your package based on exactly what you want.

Since it was a two hour drive for most of the wedding party, we all stayed the night before. The team coordinated keeping the guys out of the way so we could get ready, and they cooked us a fantastic breakfast. A juice bar, parfaits, muffins, quiche, bacon (and some cupcakes on a tea cart that were amazing and totally not for breakfast!).

We decided to stay at the Gables for the first night of our honeymoon, and they put together a gift basket for us and even very politely and patiently dealt with some guests who overstayed their welcome (literally three hours after everyone else was gone). They took everything in stride and handled everything perfectly. I couldn't be happier!!

Sent on 06/27/2017

The Gables Inn and Gardens's reply:

Thank you for the wonderful review! It was out joy and pleasure and we hope you guys will come back for a weekend retreat sometime.

Michelle · Married on 04/22/2017

The Gables Inn & Gardens is, in a word, FANTASTIC! Vickie and her partners exceeded our expectations and our wedding was one that we will always remember. From the first meeting, they made us feel like we were a priority, they listened to what we wanted, were always available throughout the planning process and their input was invaluable. We could not have asked for a more perfect experience and highly recommend them. The location is stunning and makes for a perfect wedding destination weekend. My wedding party and family had a great time and The Gables took great care to be sure it was possible for us to completely relax and enjoy our day. The price is beyond reasonable for everything they do and the extra touches they did for the "First Night Honeymoon" made our night perfect.

Sent on 06/21/2017

The Gables Inn and Gardens's reply:

Thank you for the wonderful review.

Sundy · Married on 12/17/2016

My daughter's wedding day, March 4, 2017, was perfect and mostly because Vickie, Robin, and the Gables Inn staff made it that way. They worked so hard to make her reception perfectly sweet and elegant. It began the night before the wedding with the bridal party staying the night in the beautifully decorated B&B with a pretty brunch the next morning, then the freedom to get ready in the house as the staff continued to work meticulously to ready the house for the reception. The wedding ceremony was at Spann Methodist Church, a precious, historical church around the corner. And upon returning to The Gables everything was perfectly set out and everyone (150+ guests) had seating and tables and were made to feel so welcome. And the best part, as mother of the bride...I didn't have to do a thing! From food, to decorations, to hanging all the bridal portraits, to setting out the guests favors, to setting out the sprinkles to toss at the bride and groom, to coordinating with the DJ on timing the announcing of the wedding party and bride and groom, to cutting and serving the cake, etc....everything was taken care of and I got to relax and enjoy the party. Then the bride and groom left, but only for a little while so everyone could clear out. They returned to spend their first night as husband and wife at the B&B and were served a delicious breakfast before leaving for their honeymoon. The Gables Inn and Gardens staff are VERY accommodating and love to serve. I highly recommend them for any occasion. It was absolutely perfect!!

Sabrina · Married on 11/18/2016

My husband and I loved how The Gables Inn and Gardens decorated and were professional. They were always around for questions and they didn't rush anything and they always made sure we were taken care of. We loved the people and the atmosphere they created. They really did make our day magical. I highly recommend this place and these great people. 5 stars isn't enough.

Ashley · Married on 11/12/2016

I am still blown away by how amazing our wedding turned out! Vickie and her team at The Gables were so wonderful. My husband had a unique vision for our wedding and wanted a beautiful tree decorated with white Christmas lights for our ceremony and I believe I googled "wedding venues with trees" because of the lack of venues in my immediate area that were willing to keep their location open past dark or were in our price range. I found The Gables through Wedding Wire, called, and when we went for our first meeting we fell in love! This beautiful bed and breakfast inn was the perfect location and they were willing to help in any way possible. During the process, Vickie kept in close contact with me and made sure that we had everything lined up the way we wanted it. They went above and beyond!! The price we paid was very reasonable considering that they did all of the set up, the clean up, and my husband and I got to spend the night in one of the beautiful rooms! Vickie made sure that on our special day we had little to worry about- just show up and get ready. The team is so special and kind- we had an outside wedding at night in November and I decided I wanted to purchase blankets for my wedding guests to use, then after the ceremony was done the blankets would be donated to one of our local groups that assist and help the homeless. When Vickie heard of our idea, she loved it, and on behalf of The Gables, we together donated 66 blankets to Walking Tall: Haircuts for the Homeless, which is a local charity mission in my area. A few words that were said about our wedding and the venue by family members were that it was "astounding", "phenomenal", and "magical." We are so glad that we chose The Gables and so grateful for everything that they've done for us. It was such an amazing experience and I wish I could do it all over again! This review doesn't give enough credit to the wonderful individuals we got to work with during our experience!!!

Allison · Married on 09/24/2016

Our wedding was perfect at this location. I wish there was a way to rate Gables Inn and Gardens to give it more than 5 stars! Vickie, Robin, Theresa, Bert, and Matt were so helpful, accommodating, and friendly-we couldn't have picked a better location or staff to work with. They were able to give me ideas and suggestions to help with planning, and eased any worries I had. Many of our guests as well as vendors commented on how friendly everyone was, and how beautiful the location was with lights in the evening. The venue has many features that make it a wonderful place for a wedding. My bridesmaids and I stayed the night before and the food for the bridal brunch was excellent. My husband and I would highly recommend this location if you are looking for a beautiful, historical, and versatile location with a friendly atmosphere for your wedding ceremony and reception. -Sullivan's

Kayla · Married on 09/10/2016

If you are looking for a quaint vintage-style wedding venue, this is the place to go! I am getting married here and I've also stayed here over night prior. It is wonderful and I absolutely love the atmosphere here!

• Kayla

Kayla · Married on 09/10/2016

Vintage. Intimate. Romantic. Victorian. These are a few words to describe this venue. It was the perfect setting for my small (80 people) wedding. The staff get to know you on a personal level and do whatever they need to accommodate your requests. If I had any suggestions it would be to either bring your own coordinator/director or requsets to hire one. This will help keep the day of events punctual and smooth. Please consider the Gables inn and gardens for your vintage wedding!

Michele · Married on 05/13/2016

The owners at The Gables Inn and Gardens have been wonderful in helping me plan my dream wedding. The venue is beyond gorgeous. The house and gardens are something out of a dream. The staff has been extremely professional and helpful with all of my wedding needs. They are always available to answer any questions, and have offered wonderful ideas to make my day perfect. I know I can be a bit tough to deal with, but they have been extremely patient with me, and have gone above and beyond to ease my wedding jitters. I know I am in good hands. I HIGHLY recommend this venue for anyone looking for that fairy tale wedding.

JamiLynn · Married on 03/05/2016

I am honored to have been the 1st wedding at The Gables Inn and Gardens in Ward, SC. I cannot even being to explain how amazing my wedding was, there simply are not enough words to begin. This house is so beautiful inside and out, along with the grounds and landscaping. Time really feels like it stands still when you're here. The staff of The Gables was so helpful through the entire process of moving furniture to accommodate my wants/needs and decorating. You will not regret having your wedding here!

Jordan · Married on 04/21/2018

Vickie & Bert went ABOVE & BEYOND to make sure my husband & I had a beautiful wedding & wonderful start to our marriage. I will forever be grateful for their hard work, lovely accommodations, & kind words during this special time. I would recommend to anyone looking for a venue that truly cares.

I had a special request to show a video in lieu of the Father Daughter Dance and they did everything they could to make that moment as special as possible.

The Gables Inn and Gardens 1

2.5
      2.0
      1.0
      2.5

Vickie was really set in the way she envisioned the wedding/reception and not open to much change whether it was what the bride wanted or not. It took months to see the center pieces even though we asked multiple times (we ended up making our own). The stage, seating, and reception tent/tables were not ready until the day of. Was told there would be a gazebo for the dances, was not there. Was promised a fresh coat of paint on the house that was supposedly going to be done at least a month before the wedding, didn't happen. Was told guests would not be allowed in the house (where the bridal party was getting dressed and ready) and that we wouldn't have to worry about being the "bad guys" and asking them to leave because she would have it handled, but the entire time guests were in and out of the house and opening the doors and it was super crowded and stressful. On the day of the wedding, (and even a bit at the rehearsal), Vickie rushed things and kept pushing the bridal party around. I will say, however, that the set up of the ceremony was beautiful and the location was absolutely stunning. My only thing would be that if you are going to have your wedding here, you are very forceful and adamant from the start about what you want and that you are not willing to have her change things unless she asks you first and you agree. You are going to have to be very stubborn to get things the way you want, because she really wants to have a say in things.

Sent on 03/25/2017

The Gables Inn and Gardens's reply:

It is always our hope that everyone is pleased with their experience at The Gables and in particularly the bride and groom. We work very hard to be sure things go as they envisioned and it is never my or anyone at The Gables' intent to undermine their wishes. It was never my vision but what I understood they wanted based on the last 2 meetings with bride and groom and followed what was discussed especially relating to the decorations for the tables and the final set-up. To include a last minute requested change as to the types of tables used for reception. The construction of a gazebo and the painting of the front of the house was indeed delayed. The couple chose to have their wedding all outdoors in the pecan canopy and the meadow and therefore the house was not part of the wedding backdrop. The rehearsal was indeed rushed a bit due to the late arrival of some of the wedding party leaving a short time to run through it in order for them to make their dinner reaevstion. Tents tables and chairs are never set up outdoors until the day of to avoid accumulation of dew or other unforeseen weather issues. We feel that we delivered what was requested and provided a beautiful wedding/reception However, if there was any misunderstanding about decorations, set up etc on my part then I do apologize and will address this with the bride and groom directly.
  • Caroline

Caroline · Married on 05/06/2017

0.6
      1.0
      0.5

The gazebo was supposed to be done for my wedding. The Friday before I went to the Gables and the gazebo was not finished. There were no sides, no roof, and the wood was bare. Vickie assured me that it would be finished by tomorrow. The next day I saw the “finished” gazebo with no roof, no sides, and still no finish on the wood. My contract clearly stated 12 round tables and 8 cocktail tables. On the day of there were 6 round tables and 6 cocktail tables for 100 people... There was a 95% chance of rain that evening during the outside reception so furniture was moved out of the main rooms and into the bedrooms . Nothing was damaged but Vickie had a childish conniption fit over the fact that we moved some furniture. All along Plan B was to move everything inside if it was going to rain, she was aware of this. I was assured no one would come inside the house and yet I had 7 guests see me in my dress before the ceremony. The aisle for the ceremony is poorly done. The pavers were not set properly so they move and shift under your feet, I was worried many of the elderly in attendance would fall, it really is quite dangerous. Vickie highly recommend Vickie Dooley to make my cake for my wedding. When I saw the cake Saturday morning I asked Vickie Dooley to stop and leave because it was horrendous. It looked nothing like the photos I sent to her for inspiration. A few other small details to note: I was told and it was in my contract that I would have one large 40 x 20 tent, instead they had 3 smaller tents the day of. Vickie was reluctant to remove some hideous hide-a-stumps. I had to ask her multiple times. Vickie’s lawn chairs were left out while guests were arriving so my friend removed them. Lastly, I found it extremely rude for her to show the venue to another couple Friday before my wedding while I was there trying to speak with her about multiple important issues but she was too busy attempting to sell the venue to the other couple.

Sent on 06/05/2017

The Gables Inn and Gardens's reply:

We try very hard to provide the perfect day for our clients and want them to come away from their experience knowing we went above and beyond all expectations. It is never our desire that anyone should be unhappy with the services provided and therefore we certainly very disappointing to have this couple feel they had a less than satisfactory result. However, In this particular instance there were a number of things that occurred which made it very evident to all of us that any satisfaction was going to be a challenge. We, in fact, have a number of issues and incidents that took place that caused us grave concerns, and in an effort to find clarity and closure, we would welcome an opportunity to sit down with the clients to discuss their concerns and the events that took place. We do appreciate all our clients and we welcome their reviews as it gives us an opportunity to make adjustments, changes, and improvements.