The Essex Room Reviews

90 | Essex, MA

90 Reviews for The Essex Room

• Miriam

Miriam · Married on 08/24/2008

We loved the Essex Room from the moment we arrived for our first visit and we were not disappointed after that! Faye, the manager there, is amazing to work with, she is super responsive, went out of her way to help us out with many issues, and was just generally great. The atmosphere is very relaxed and we loved having our ceremony next to the beautiful marsh. They are very reasonably priced, and allowed us to bring in an outside caterer which was an absolute must for us. One thing to note is that you have to buy alcohol through them.

Sent on 09/05/2008

Victoria · Married on 07/13/2018

The Essex Room and staff are amazing! They made our wedding day everything thing and more. We had an unexpected hicup during pictures and they made it go as smooth as possible and made me and the bridal party feel comfortable and at ease and no one had a clue anything happened! Truly amazing! I wish I could do it all over again! They put my vision to life and the food, the guests still can’t stop talking about it! Maureen, Lauren, and Donna are the best and I hope to be in touch with them in the future! Thank you for making my wedding dreams come true! #gobingorgohome #greatestcomebackofalltime

Sent on 07/17/2018

Victoria,
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your wedding was so much fun, your guests truly enjoyed everything from the food to the great entertainment. Our dance floor was packed all night! Best Donna

The Essex room and it's staff did a wonderful job with our wedding! From the first time we met with them go talk about what we were looking for, up through the actual event, the staff (Maureen, Faye, and Norm) were all so helpful and willing to work with us to make our wedding as perfect as it could be. We were so happy with the outdoor ceremony and the reception inside the Essex room went so smoothly. We would definitely recommend the Essex room for weddings!

Sent on 08/26/2015
  • W

Hattie · Married on 01/15/2011

Woodman's was the perfect place for our reception! They helped us piece together our ideal menu and our guests really enjoyed the beautiful space! The staff was professional and friendly, everything was taken care of before we even thought to worry about it!

Sent on 04/07/2011
  • Erin

Erin · Married on 09/16/2017

The Essex Room was the first venue (and vendor) we looked at. Upon e-mailing for more information, they were very transparent with pricing, menus, policies and other info via email. Lauren was very responsive before even meeting me and throughout the entire planning process. When we arrived at our appointment to view the venue, we felt comfortable and impressed from the start. Lauren gave us a tour and answered all our questions, and Chef Ned came in after a snowstorm to make us some samples of clam chowder, stuffed clams, bacon wrapped scallops and other goodies. This was a huge selling point for us since the food is definitely one of the highlights here.

I changed my mind about many things, many times and Lauren was patient and understanding every time. We also ran into a couple snags with outside vendors and Lauren was able to assist us to ensure everything was resolved to our satisfaction
    and gave us guidance and support.

We had our ceremony and reception on site and everything went so smoothly. We had a fairly simple, yet elegant wedding and people gave us so many compliments about the food, friendliness of staff and beauty of the venue inside and out. The value of The Essex Room can't be beat on the North Shore (or Boston). We were initially on the fence about whether we could swing this venue due to our budget, but I'm so glad we went for it. I didn't worry about a thing on my wedding day (which is saying something for me, a natural worrier) and for the quality of food, professionalism and little extras they throw in (cider and donuts for your guests upon arrival to your ceremony?!) you definitely get what you pay for and then some!

Sent on 09/19/2017

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words. You and Joe are such a sweet couple, and it was our pleasure to be apart of your special day.

Jennifer · Married on 10/03/2015

Faye and the rest of the staff at The Essex Room were incredible. They went above and beyond to make our day as special as we dreamed.

Sent on 10/18/2015

I had my wedding here and everyone said it was the best wedding they have ever been to. Everyone raved about the food saying it was the best wedding food they ever had. We has chicken and beef and the chicken was nice and moist (not dry) and the beef was cooked perfectly! Would and am recommending them for anything and everything and will probably use again in the future if I have to hold a big event!

Sent on 04/30/2014

The Essex Room's reply:

We here at The Essex Room want to thank you for your kind words and endorsement. We all take pride all in knowing we helped in making you day extra special!

Brianna · Married on 06/05/2016

3.0

This venue has the best food around, it is not typical wedding food, it is quality cuisine. The chef is spectacular and creates beautiful plates. As far as flexibility with planning they are a little stiff when working within their own guidelines and are pretty strict on how things are setup and how things will flow. However, it made for a spectacular, smooth, and beautiful day. The staff was very responsive and helpful whenever I had questions. All my guests raved about their experience and the food. We had a truly wonderful wedding and were so very grateful to donna lauren norman and chef ned for being on our team and kicking some wedding coordinating ass! Xoxo

Sent on 06/06/2016

The Essex Room is a beautiful hall. The staff is professional and cooperative, and the food (Woodman's of Essex) is fantastic.

Sent on 10/15/2014

Phil · Married on 09/14/2013

We had a great experience having our wedding at the Essex Room! Most important to us, was their ability to be flexible and relaxed about letting us have the party the way we wanted it. The location is spectacular, but non-pretentious. Guests had a great time staying in the B&B's nearby. Good value when compared to other venues.

Sent on 10/06/2013

Stephanie · Married on 08/31/2013

We absolutely loved how our wedding turned out! All of our guests had a blast, and many of them say it's the best wedding they have ever attended!

Sent on 10/06/2013
  • User2031532 · 2+ years ago

I absolutely loved the Essex Room! They were so professional, organized, and made everything so easy! The staff is top-notch and having my wedding there was one of the best decisions I made! The food was delicious and the value/service was second to none!

Sent on 06/18/2013

M · Married on 09/09/2017

4.2

The coordinator and staff were great to work with. Very responsive, suggestive, and also very understanding and willing to make everything right. We had a few walk throughs, details shared, and good questions asked. The night went perfectly with no issues.

Sent on 09/18/2017

Melissa · Married on 06/24/2017

4.2
      3.0

We had our wedding at The Essex Room 3 weekends ago. Donna was my event coordinator and she was amazing to work with. She had to attend to a family matter on the week of our wedding so both Lauren and Maureen stepped in and they were also amazing. Overall the wedding was a great event and the staff and chef at The Essex Room were great to work with.

Sent on 07/08/2017

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you for the kibd words. You and Erastus were a delight and we are so happy to have been able to meld the cultures into one great event. We wish you all the best on your new adventure.

Alexandra Lauren Papatsoris · Married on 09/13/2019

3.4
      2.0
      3.0

great physical venue, questionable management

I have a lot to say about the essex room. I will start with all the good things.
    The property is drop dead gorgeous. The lawn was so lush and green and gorgeous. The interior is very classy, all of my pictures had such a gorgeous backdrop whether it was indoors or out. The food is phenomenal. There is a gorgeous bridal suite (I'll come back to this) and overall, its a great PHYSICAL venue for a wedding or other event. The entire venue was transformed to my vision, I had a very specific vision for my wedding, I brought all of my own decorations/tablecloths etc and they completely exceeded my expectations and I am forever thankful for that.
    Maureen is a fun, bright, upbeat person, and a huge reason why I chose this venue, I was so excited to work with her. The day of the wedding she was far too overbearing, intimidating, and rude. I was expressing my desire to go around the tables and say hi to my guests and she barked at me every 15 minutes "time to eat!" "go outside and take sunset pictures" "time to cut the cake" "dance with your father" etc etc I even said "i need to say hi to my guests" and she goes "NO TIME!". By the time it was all said and done I had 20 minutes to dance before the event was over. Of course it was wonderful to have some direction, however, I didn't even say hello to 50% of my guests and quite a few people were upset that they didn't even get to see us.
    I felt mislead by management. when touring the venue I made it very clear that one of the most important things I needed to have was a bridal suite for my girls and I to get ready. I was told "absolutely, why else would we have a bridal suite?"..Come 1 month before the wedding, we are going over the day-of timeline, I ask how early I can come report to the bridal suite and the answer i get is "we don't allow that, our brides have to get ready elsewhere" *bridezilla moment ensued*. After some strongly worded discussion, they "made a rare exception". The servers and kitchen staff were very polite, however I got numerous complaints that my guests would get a drink from the bar, set it down to dance, and return to their almost full drink being gone. some guests even went as far as placing their phones or napkins on top of their drink to signal the staff to not take it. They would come back to their phone or napkin resting on the table and again, their full drink gone. This was a horrible problem as we had an open bar, and our bill was more than triple than anticipated given our pre-wedding discussions with management. While I was walking to the isle, my cathedral length veil snagged on the concrete, the coordinator assigned that day watched in disbelief as it happened, gasped loudly, and watched as my dad and I tried to fix it, in view of all of my guests (her gasp was so loud my guests reported hearing it which prompted them to turn their attention to me mid processional fixing my veil. I was so horrified that she just watched, gawked and gasped, rather than help me. I was mortified, and in the pictures my veil was completely wayward.
    I want to make it clear I am so thankful for everything management did for me and if our paths were to ever cross paths again I would give them the biggest hug, but the negative aspects are just overwhelming when thinking of this venue.

Sent on 09/29/2019

Alexandra,
    Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We learn from feedback and hearing that trying to fit all the formalities and photo-ops into the reception was stressful for you. It will certainly affect how we explain timing to future couples.
    We’re usually known for our exceptional customer service and we regret that we didn’t live up to those expectations here.