The Essex Room Reviews

90 | Essex, MA

90 Reviews for The Essex Room

Nicolle · Married on 11/12/2016

Beautiful, friendly, incredible food, helpful, nothing but compliments from all my guests for our wedding

Sent on 11/25/2016

Mary · Married on 10/22/2016

The entire team at The Essex Room was outstanding to work with!! From our initial meeting with Faye, through the entire planning process with Donna and Lauren. We honestly could not have asked for more or dreamed of a more perfect reception. PS... the food was exceptional! Our guests are still talking about it.

Sent on 11/29/2016

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you Mary. We send you both happy holiday wishes as a married couple.

Kristin · Married on 10/15/2016

If you want great value plus really top-notch staff and extraordinary food, look no further than the Essex Room. We had a great experience and our guests are still raving about everything, and will for a very long time. We are thrilled we made this choice, and could not recommend the Essex Room with greater enthusiasm. Thank you for helping to put our wedding "over the top." We love you.

Sent on 10/20/2016

Amy · Married on 10/09/2016

We loved working with everyone at The Essex Room and the food was AMAZING!

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you Amy! We loved having you here and being part of such an important and personal event. We all wish you and Brian and happy holiday as a married couple.

Catherine · Married on 09/24/2016

Living in Texas and planning a New England wedding can be a bit of a challenge. I sent inquiries to multiple venues, all beautiful, We selected The Essex Room after a conversation with Maureen Woodman followed by a tour of the venue and the outside area. Maureen was the only person who actually called me within an hour (on a a Sunday, no less) to talk about my vision for the wedding. We first met with Faye Broderick which reinforced that we selected the right venue as I knew we were in great hands for making sure every detail was covered. In addition to Maureen and Faye, Donna Roy, Lauren Muise, Norman Lemcke and Chef Ned and the rest of the staff are INCREDIBLE. Donna was extremely responsive to my numerous e-mails and they were easy to work with to schedule to tours of the venue for a variety of vendors (florists, photographer, our officiant, etc.) for times that I was in Massachusetts. Donna and Lauren checked & double-checked all the details and coordinated / executed everything professionally and perfectly on our wedding day. They set everything up just the way we wanted with the centerpieces we brought in, didn't have to worry about anything. Norman is fun and personable and great with postings and updates on social media and a willing dog handler if you want to include your furry friend in your wedding ceremony. (Bear, our 135 lb. Mastiff, has few manners and drools on everybody so he did not participate in the ceremony, to my and Norman's dismay! ;-) This was the right decision by my husband, btw!) The ceremony on the manicured lawn was lovely, the bar service for cocktail hour and reception was terrific & the food was amazing. Our guests rave about every aspect: from apple cider donuts pre-ceremony to passed hor d'oeuvres & cheeses to clam chowder & mouth-watering filet / chicken / risotto served for the main course. Chef Ned is very talented in the kitchen and our guests LOVED talking to him about the cheeses and other menu items. Highest recommendation!

Sent on 10/09/2016

Magen · Married on 09/03/2016

My husband and I cannot praise The Essex Room enough! We planned our wedding in 90 days - 90. Days. And we could NOT have done it without the amazing team at The Essex Room.
    First of all, the food is made in house and is DELICIOUS (we are still hearing compliments from our guests 4 months later). Chef Ned accommodated all of our guests with dietary restrictions AND accommodated our desire for an off-beat dessert (ice cream sandwiches with homemade cookies... they were so so good!)
    Secondly, they were incredibly flexible with our meager budget. Some venues didn't even want to meet with us because of our budget, but The Essex Room made us feel valued and helped us have the wedding of our dreams without overspending!
    They also provided top-quality referrals for vendors, and honestly they just handled every single detail so we didn't have to! They went above and beyond with decorations - hand-crafted pinwheels and tassels in our colors, outdoor decor for our cocktail hour, etc. Our day went perfectly and we didn't need to stress about a single thing. We feel so blessed to have found The Essex Room - visit once and you'll feel the same way.

The Essex Room's reply:

Thanks Magen! We had such a great time working with you. Thank you for making us part of this very personal and special day. Enjoy your holiday as man and wife. Please send our best to your parents (Glo and Ed) and wish them a happy holiday from us. P.S. Tell Glo that Norman still talks about how much fun he had with her.

Colleen · Married on 08/27/2016

My husband and LOVED the Essex Room when we visited, not because they gave us food and lemonade, but because of the personal attention we received throughout our planning process and day of the wedding. We worked with most of the staff there: Lauren, Donna, Faye, Maureen, Norman, even Chef Ned and they were all fantastic. They even accommodated a request we made 5 days before the wedding. Everyone there had an eye for details, especially Lauren and Donna, who creatively used our decorations in a way I didn't even think of. We had our ceremony and cocktail hour outside and since the weather cooperated we had the most beautiful background, though the outside area is small, photographers know how to work the angles to make the parking lot disappear. From the food to service, everything was perfect, and our guests kept raving about the food! We can't thank the Essex Room enough for hosting our perfect day!

Sent on 11/07/2016

Colleen,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for us. It was truly a pleasure working with you and Michael. If you have any pictures that you would like to share we'd love to see them! Best Donna

Samantha · Married on 08/13/2016

Donna Roy and her staff were incredible. I asked for a few changed like moving of a swing and and archway and they did it without any questions asked. At one point during the evening my bustle fell down and a staff member was there to get it secured in place. There was never a time I felt like I couldn't call with a question or concern. I loved working with the Essex Room. They brought a family feel to our weeding that we wouldn't have been able to get anywhere else!

Samantha,
    Thank you, it was such a pleasure being a part of your day! Happy Holidays and and best wishes for the New Year!
  • Samantha

Samantha · Married on 08/13/2016

The Essex Room was the first venue my husband and I visited. After visiting them, we compared every venue to the Essex Room. The staff was warm, welcoming, friendly and so flexible. Donna and her team handled anything that came up with incredible professionalism and Chef Ned (and his food) was amazing. They treated us like we were a part of the family. The staff at the Essex Room made our wedding day the best day of our lives.

Sent on 07/18/2017

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you for the kind words Samantha. It was an absolute pleasure working with you and we were so honored to be part of such a special day.

Michelle · Married on 08/06/2016

I can't say enough good things about the people who work at the Essex Room. Donna, Norman, Lauren, Chef Ned, and others just made sure the day went perfectly. Weather was a major concern for me, and Donna went out of her way to help me feel comfortable if we had to do either option. She went out of her way to help me with various small details to plan for both, and was so great about being organized. The day went smoothly thanks to the team wrangling my friends and family, and EVERYONE is raving about the food - Chef Ned really out did himself! Everyone who worked there wants the day to feel personal to you, and was flexible about making that happen. The venue itself is BEAUTIFUL, and we got some great pictures. Overall, I am SO happy I went with the Essex Room, and am looking forward to booking another event there in the future!

Sent on 08/08/2016

Carol · Married on 08/06/2016

Be sure you are ok if weather does not cooperate!!!

Sent on 08/15/2016

Patricia · Married on 07/23/2016

My fiancée and I were looking for a relaxed but beautiful place to host our wedding, and after seeing the Essex Room and meeting with the staff, we knew it was the right place for our reception. Donna, Lauren, Chef Ned, Norman, and Maureen were all enthusiastic and a pleasure to work with. They kept us on schedule and on track so that none of the big or little details were missed. We had a beautiful and fun wedding that our guests enjoyed, and we knew we were in such good hands, we were able to relax and enjoy our reception. Thank you to everybody at the Essex Room that made our wedding a wonderful event!

Sent on 08/02/2016

Katie · Married on 06/18/2016

Our wedding date is soon approaching and we couldn't feel more at ease than with the Essex Room team. They have been simply great all along the way. The food options at our tasting confirm we will have the best food at any wedding. The entire team has been super friendly, accommodating, flexible, helpful with reception and ceremony ideas and overall welcoming. We truly feel that us and our wedding day matter to each of them and we aren't just another couple getting married at their venue. I read a review posted here in Wedding Wire when we were deciding on which venue and someone mentioned that the people of Essex Room is what made it so great, and I couldn't agree more! I can't wait to see how the entire day unfolds!!!

Sent on 05/26/2016

Pat · Married on 06/18/2016

Ned's choice for our dinner was excellent, and we didn't change a thing on the plate. Their quality of food was our initial reason for picking the Essex Room; however, the biggest draw of the Essex Room is the hospitality and commitment to you as people. Donna, Maureen, Norman, Ned, and their teams are exactly that, a team, and they take the time and effort to get to know you personally and work with you as a friend would. They get excited about your ideas; they share their honest opinions, and they engage with you in a personal way. Your experience with them feels lighthearted and fun, and from day one of meeting with them, you feel welcomed, like a guest at a bed and breakfast. We chose an off-site location to have our ceremony, one the staff have not worked with at the time; however, Maureen and Norman made it work wonderfully. Every guest commented on how beautiful the ceremony was. My wife and I couldn't have been happier, and we are very grateful for our decision to host our wedding ceremony and reception with the Essex Room. Many thanks and praise to all of them, from management to staff.

Sent on 07/29/2016

Ashley · Married on 06/11/2016

We visited quite a few venues after being engaged, which made us think a decision could be difficult. But a few visits in we met with Maureen at the Essex Room and the decision was made that day. We were greeted so pleasantly, given a tour and then served amazing appetizers on the spot. We then sat down and asked a million questions which were answered without hesitation. We knew right away that the Essex Room was the place for us. Not only is the location on the gorgeous Essex River a huge seller, but the price was so much more affordable than the other waterfront spots we checked out. And still we were granted the same level of service. Several meetings up front where we showed our family the venue and asked more questions. It's such an exciting time and the ER staff made us feel even more overjoyed. The intimate food tasting was unreal, a full 3 course serving with just the two of us. SO much different than other venues where you're forced to sit down with total strangers. I don't want to say I was a difficult bride, but I'm all about the little details AND I'm the most indecisive person on earth. But with all of my decor ideas and changes the Essex Room didn't miss a beat. They set up hundreds of candles and signage for me exactly how I had asked. I was able to enjoy getting ready the morning of without worrying about a thing. The weather didn't cooperate and we had to move the cocktail hour inside, but the guests didn't even know about the last minute change. So seamless. And the day of was absolutely perfect. Great service from Donna, Norman, Lauren and all of the servers there. The bar got a bit over-crowded which was our only minor issue with such a large crowd, but wasn't a bit deal. Would maybe just suggest utilizing their second bar to other large parties. And they dealt with out shenanigans on the dance floor from the moment our first dances took place. It was the BEST day of our lives and we still hear from family and friends that it was such a blast.

Sent on 12/07/2016

Ashley-
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a heartfelt review. I will make sure to pass it on to our staff. It was our pleasure to host your and Eric's wedding here at The Essex Room. Enjoy your 1st Holiday Season as newlyweds!

Eileen · Married on 06/04/2016

My daughter and son in-law had their marriage ceremony and reception at the Essex Room and both were spectacular.
    Donna, Lauren and Norm were outstanding, they attended to every little detail as if we were their own family. The amount of care they took, setting the stage in the theme my daughter had chosen, adjusting any time we updated our plan. From the lemonade and cookies before the service, to the final dance and goodbyes, our guests felt welcome and embraced. I can't imaging a better wedding for my daughter.

Sent on 06/06/2016

Eileen,
    Thank you for your kind words. It was our pleasure to host Amy & Geoff's wedding and reception. They are a wonderful couple and all of us here at The Essex Room wish them the very best!

Nine months before our wedding, we decided to switch venues and couldn't have found a better one. Our wedding was wonderful and it wouldn't have happened without the help of the staff at the Essex Room. Right from the start, Maureen and the crew were accommodating of our budget, our food ideas, and our vision. Our wedding planner ended up needing to switch 2 months before our wedding and Donna jumped right in without missing a beat. Donna is quick to respond to emails, answer questions, and give suggestions. Donna and Lauren were extremely helpful during the rehearsal and day of the wedding. My level of stress was low knowing that I had them to keep everything in check. The team had a great sense of humor while waiting for the ceremony, after the ceremony, and during the reception.

Sent on 05/26/2016

Everything was absolute WONDERFUL! The venue was just gorgeous! Our family/bridal pictures from outside are just perfect. We were also able to get a few pictures with the trees with lights on them in the dark that came out beautifully. The food was so delicious and spot on. The staff was very friendly and Donna was amazing. Every meeting we had with Donna was personal and productive. She was able to meet with us whenever was convenient for us and was extremely helpful/supportive with all our decisions. I would HIGHLY recommend this venue and Donna to any couple looking to get married.

Sent on 11/18/2015

The best thing about the Essex Room is the people.......the staff and planners were very attentive and helpful and obviously know what they are doing. No problem went unsolved and they go about their jobs calmly and competently. Food was great and the cheese spread was amazing. All our "foodie" friends commented on it.

Sent on 10/20/2015

Shayna · Married on 10/17/2015

The Essex Room was such a wonderful place to get married and we cannot say enough good things about the beautiful venue, delicious food, and amazing staff!! Our coordinator, Donna, was there with us every step of the way and truly cared about making our day perfect. She was always there to answer our many questions and was constantly going above and beyond (she even helped us make our own chuppah for our outdoor ceremony!). She and the rest of the staff thought of every detail, and on the wedding day, we were really able to enjoy ourselves knowing that everything was in such great hands. We received so many compliments on the food (Chef Ned is amazing -- people are still talking about the cheese spread!), and the staff really made the room look beautiful, with so many unique touches. We highly recommend this incredible wedding venue to any couple!

Sent on 12/11/2015

Hannah · Married on 10/10/2015

Faye, Ned and the rest of The Essex Room team went above and beyond to make our wedding day exactly what we hoped for. Over the course of almost a year, Faye worked with us to capture our vision for the decor, set up and schedule for our wedding reception. She was incredibly professional, considerate, and extremely flexible with my ever changing decisions. Not only did she help make the planning process enjoyable, but ensured the entire reception flowed exactly how it should have. We were also so grateful for Ned and his culinary expertise. Because my husband is Korean, we hoped to incorporate the cuisine into our cocktail hour appetizers. Ned delivered an amazing bulgogi slider and our guests continue to rave about them three months later! The rest of the appetizers and meal options made for the perfect fall menu. The venue itself is absolutely beautiful - we barely needed to decorate! We couldn't be happier we chose The Essex Room and we highly recommend it to anyone looking for a northshore venue.

Sent on 01/16/2016

The Essex Room did a wonderful job with my wedding. I can't recommend them enough. All of our guests loved the place and food. We had guests coming up to us all night saying the food was amazing and they loved everything. We didn't hear one negative comment about the wedding. Donna and Norm were great to work with along with Chef Ned who did an awesome job with the food. I love the Essex Room! They made our day extremely special.

Sent on 11/19/2015

We had the most amazing experience at the Essex Room. They were able to make the whole wedding gluten free since I have celiac disease. The whole staff was so helpful and caring. They answered emails very quickly, had very helpful advice, and were very easy to work with. I will miss our meetings and spending time with the team!

Sent on 09/09/2015

Jasmine · Married on 08/08/2015

My guests raved how wonderful the food, staff, and scenery were at The Essex Room. Donna and Faye were extremely helpful during the whole process, they responded to emails in a timely fashion and answered all my questions. The wait staff was also great! I would definitely recommend them to other brides.
    I also want to point out that 3 weeks before my wedding I found out that I couldn't have a sparkler send off like i had planned.But Donna and Faye spent an entire night searching the internet for a substitution for me! They managed to give me something very cute that made my pictures awesome!

Sent on 08/16/2015

Donna was amazing to work with!!! She was always on top of everything and let me know what I needed to do and when it needed to be done by! No questions went unanswered. The hall looked beautiful the day of and the guests couldn't say enough about the food, Ned (the chef) did an awesome job!!! I love that the halls is located behind Woodmans so that we can casually go back to the place that we got married as often as we want :)

Sent on 08/27/2015