The Empress Estate Reviews

• Monica

Monica · Married on 11/05/2016

3.2
      2.0

Very disappointed in this venue. Don't let their beautifully edited photos for you, the location is actually in the middle of absolutely nowhere, and although the venue is generally quite pretty, it could have been cleaner and the rooms for overnight guests could have been much much better. Also comma the owner is very Brash and pushy. It is quite obvious that they have not been doing this for that long, as they made a lot of rookie mistakes or falling behind and actually forced us to do the manual labor of bringing our alcohol and Decor in, which they wouldn't even let us bring to the venue until the moment we arrive to start getting ready. It was pouring rain that day and it was so sad for me to see my mom and maid of honor get their hair and makeup ruined doing manual labor that we were, for some reason, paying for.

All in all there was just way too much stress and too much that went wrong caused by the people that were trying to run this place. Unfortunately it really borders on having ruined my wedding day. If you're going to have a very small wedding, something perhaps a little bit more low-key than this would probably be a great wedding venue for you, but if you have high expectations, you may want to look into having your wedding somewhere else for your expectations may actually be mad. It seems like these people, although they were fairly nice, we're really just shooting from the hip

Sent on 01/19/2017

The Empress Estate's reply:

We are sorry to hear that one of couples experience with us was disappointing. We pride ourselves on being a stress-free venue and most of our past brides feel we deliver nothing short of just that.

Our location does have the “feel” of being remote. We are surrounded by lush forest and have spectacular views of the Woodland Valley from our hillside veranda. Our “remote” locations is something our couples absolutely love! No traffic or neighbors. We are only 1.5 miles up the hill off of I-5 and 30 minutes from Portland,Oregon.

Having a Bride ask for us to carry her personal belonging from her car to her room and her extra decor items into the building was a new situation for us. Most of our Brides enlist the groom and all of his buddies/groomsmen to carry all the ladies things from the car inside. I am sorry your mother, bridesmaids and yourself had to carry personal belongings without any help from your bridal party in the rain. Regarding your alcohol delivery, Washington State Laws and Regulations do not allow our staff to receive alcohol “curbside” or in the parking lot. Our licensed bartenders are the only ones who can handle the alcohol on the clock once it is INSIDE our venue. This is not a policy, It is the law.

We are sorry you had assumptions about what was included in your package and the services that we do and do not offer. We send our couples ALL of our policies and keep very detailed files of the timeline and set-up for their Special Day. In addition, we send all of our couples detailed emails with EVERYTHING that is discussed during their wedding planning sessions so nothing gets missed or misinterpreted.

We really do our best to ensure a magical wedding day, as we know this is one of the most important days of our couples lives. We thank you for the compliments of our staff and venue and are happy you had no other issues regarding the Empress.
  • marina

marina · Married on 09/28/2018

2.6

So disappointing

My wedding day was a bit of a disaster to say the least. I don’t know what happened, but nothing went right with the empress estate.

- cocktail hour was moved without my consent making people have to hike up hill to get to the chateau without a break in between
    - cake was supposed to be black with brushed gold as accent. It was just black and smashed in the back. So ugly. It was also cold and not very good.
    - the owner refused to serve a guest a glass of plain ice because he thought it was for cocktails (he did serve him once he realized it was for his pregnant wife)
    - he was rude to my coordinator and my florists (he yelled at them and told them “they’ll never know nearly as much as him” )
    -they didn’t let my Mother play her usb drive on the TV with photos of my husband and I and yelled at my photographer for asking
    - Lindsay Seltzer was my designated coordinator through empress estate and she was just an awful woman. She left halfway through the wedding and the owner who was clueless stepped in. I’d never even met him.
    -their decor is also the tackiest decor I’ve seen in a while and I work in the industry as a make up artist. I’ve seen a lot of wedding decor. It’s unfortunate that considering how pricey they are, they don’t offer more customizable and updated options. Honestly, I’d reallly like some of my money back.

The food was good. Beautiful grounds. That’s it really. I was really excited to get married there and it was such a bummer that I had to write a bad review instead of a good one.

Sent on 10/25/2018

Sarah · Married on 11/01/2017

2.5
      2.5
      1.5

The estate is beautiful for a wedding, but the owner is rude and disrespectful even to his own staff. There were quite a few problems with communication. The owner would try to tell us a different thing when I had proof through email that he had previously told us something else. There was a lot of confusion and frustration. The wedding coordinator, Katie, was the only person on top of everything that we were emailing her about and always ready for meetings and the rehearsal.

Sent on 11/25/2017

Krystle · Married on 03/20/2014

1.4
      3.5
      0.0

Angel there wedding planner was always on her cell phone taking calls during meeting which was annoying as it was my appointment! They tried to be nice and offer there tent use as my dad was disabled and I was told there was sides to tent.after ceremony's hey informed me there was no sides to the tent ! Also I had came for my rehearsal 48hrs before wedding they had a huge boat and 2 garbage trailers that hook onthe back of truck sitting outside venue , I had asked 4 times for it to be removed and wedding day came trailers were still I front for everyone to see and boat was now in back yard ! Angel and Stevie both assured me that they would be gone and they weren't .....they tried covering with green pieces that fallen from the trees and the boat was still there .I used one the little rooms on main floor as a changing/rest area for my dad and they told us not to bring anything that they had a nice curtain rod with nice heavy duty curtains so my dad could have privacy, showed up nothing was there ask Zoe they said someone was getting them but that time never came so we pinned sheets up. they also informed me 2 weeks before wedding that they would all be at the house but inform me that they would not be seen they would be in the kitchen ... Well I had 3 extra guest because they made themselves welcome and stayed where all guest were. Zoe was supposed to leave guest alone and just tell people where to park but that didn't happen I had more than one guest tell me that he had follow them to there car and watched her changed shoes and was following people to smoking area like there were smoking drugs or something. Guest felt uncomfortable ! They offered free beach stay but try to charge for cleaning and pet !they make u take your garbage after wedding And worse is Zoe had comment in front of guest about how much I spent on catering and wedding planner said he doesn't know how I got so cheap and they were generous ! Pretty place not worth hassle !

Sent on 05/09/2014

Alysha · Married on 04/22/2016

0.8
      0.5
      0.5
      1.0

I have never seen people so HEARTLESS! Beware of the contract agreement! They have you pay everything upfront before the wedding day. We got everything paid in advance. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the venue months prior because my father-in-law was passing away from ALS and couldn't make the three hour travel there. When I explained our circumstance to them, and asked if there was anyway to get a portion of the $7000 we paid them back to use toward finding a new venue closer to my father-in-laws house, they simply and coldly said "I'm sorry, you signed a contract, there are no refunds of any sorts." How ridiculous is that? I have NEVER heard of a venue taking all your money. I completely understand keeping a deposit amount, or heck, even half! But to keep ALL OF IT months before the date?! It isn't like I canceled a week prior. And it was scheduled for a Friday night, a less demanding day. Also, they completely lie to you. They promise you can have your wedding any color you want and if they don't have the right linens to match, they will order them because they are "constantly wanting to expand their options for other brides." WRONG! After paying for the venue and started coordinating the wedding details, I asked if they had anything in soft pinks, mint green or gold. They said no and gave me a list of colors they did have that I could choose from, if I didn't like what they had I could rent/buy at my own expense. Oh and one more thing, I heard they are in a law suit with surrounding neighbors.... not worth the false hope.

Sent on 10/10/2017

The Empress Estate's reply:

We are truly sorry to hear about your hardship. We do not wish to make things difficult here at The Empress Estate, however, we do have policies in place that we must uphold for all of our clients. When you book with The Empress Estate, we designate your booked date for your wedding only. When the wedding date is canceled, for any reason, before the wedding, The Empress Estate will typically not be able to book the approaching date again. Due to the fact that oftentimes couples will not book their weddings less than a year in advance, we find it difficult to recover from this loss. This is why we have the contract agreement mentioned and why we ensure everyone is aware of and agrees to the contract before booking at The Empress Estate.
    Thank you for sharing your concern. We wish you the best!
    Sincerely,