The Elks at Bass Rocks Reviews

The Elks at Bass Rocks 4
The Elks at Bass Rocks 5

4.2
      3.0

The Elks at Bass Rocks is a beautiful venue at a gorgeous location. We went for a more casual-style reception that threw a lot of the traditional reception elements out the window and the venue was very supportive and helpful making our event truly our vision. They are not very timely in responses until they need answers from you, but all the details worked out perfectly in the end!

Sent on 12/19/2016

Lindsay · Married on 07/31/2011

3.5

The Elks is a key location for wedding reception. I chose not to have my ceremony here because I wasn't keen on the thought of cars (and possibly loud motorcycles) driving by during my ceremony (which someone I knew told me this had happened to their nephew with the motorcycles during his ceremony). I actually worked with 2 coordinators there as they were in the process of switching from Kelly to a new coordinator. In the interim they had Samantha and the new permanent coordinator is Stacey, so I got to have both of those ladies working with me on my wedding day. Aside from a couple of miscommunication issues in the midst of the switch, everything was amazing. Stacey and Sam were right by my side at every moment they needed to be, to let me know of what needed to happen next. The hall is beautiful and they had recently had the ladies room redone, which it desperately needed! I had been to a wedding there a few years before. The location cannot be beat. Staring at the ocean all night was exactly what I wanted to do and there is no missing that at the Elks! The only thing that I will be really bummed about forever is that someone stole part of my cake topper. It was 2 adirondack chairs and someone took one. I have no idea if it was a staff member or a guest, but it was a low blow, and I'll always be saddened by that. The staff working the venue were all employees of the caterer aside from the bartender, I think, so unless it was Stacey herself (which I absolutely know it wasn't!) then the Elks is not responsible for that.
    Every day I wish I could have my wedding over and over, it was just so fun and beautiful, and I would always choose the Elks as my venue!

Sent on 04/23/2012

The Elks at Bass Rocks's reply:

Hello Lindsay! I appreciate the comments that you have written about our venue in your review. Your wedding was lovely and it made me upset, too, that someone would actually take something from you that clearly was important to you. I so wish that I could have prevented the theft of your cake topper :-(. Thank you for letting me use some of your pictures for the website. You looked stunning and thank you for taking the time to write. I wish you and Jared many years of happiness together!

Gabi · Married on 10/19/2014

3.5

The Elks was beautiful and everything came out beautifully! My only small complaint is that we booked at a time when the venue was in between event coordinators, so during that shift we had a hard time getting a hold of anybody. It made for some frustrating times six months before the wedding... but they came through in the end and it turned out fine. Kayla was our day-of coordinator and she was wonderful!

Sent on 12/02/2014

3.4
      1.5
      3.0

Our wedding day went off without any issues and our day of coordinator, Kayla, was on top of everything from start to finish. The only problem that I encountered was during the planning, and it was a major communication issue. After our final meeting, I was told that I would receive an updated itinerary - about a week later, I was sent a very old version with no updated information. After being told many times by Deborah that she would send me the correct one in a few hours, or the next day, I didn't receive it for over a month. While I kept a pretty low stress level throughout the planning, I did become extremely frustrated that I was not receiving the level of service I was paying for. Aside from the frustrating communication about the itinerary, I was surprised to walk into the final meeting and feel that I was much more prepared for it than the Elks. Miscommunication in the meeting also led to a misunderstanding on table numbers, which I was asked to change after I had already finished completing all assignments. With only a month from the wedding, I felt as if I was getting the run-around, and having all of my preparations complete early on was becoming a detriment. Overall, the actual wedding day went very well, but it was frustrating working with the Elks up until that point. A key piece that makes me rate this higher than I initially wanted to is that they do work very well with the other vendors - which again, made the actual day of go perfect. Your guests do not see any of the background prior to the wedding, all they see is that they had a fantastic time at a venue with an AMAZING view.

Sent on 07/20/2015

Nicole · Married on 06/23/2007

3.4
      3.5

The day of the wedding was amazing but leading up to the weekend, it was very hard to get in contact with the coordinator, causing me to hire someone else to do day of coordination.

Sent on 08/27/2008

Ellyse · Married on 09/02/2016

3.2
      3.0

Was a little frustrated that at the last minute Taylor was assigned to handle our wedding, given I had never spoke with her till the day before.

The day of the wedding there were a few things that happened which we were unhappy with... my husband was put in a separate room from his wedding party by himself at her insistence, after 30 minutes alone he had to put his foot down and tell her he wasn't going to sit there alone. We are still unsure why this was necessary.

A few of those helping me by keeping tabs on some organizational aspects commented that she was rude and made comments to them which were described as "snarky". At one point, one of those friends who runs a well known restaurant (which hosts weddings) actually had to start telling Taylor how she should handle some of the seating issues that arose.

Lastly, at the end of the night we were told that some of the cards weren't put in the correct spot and had been locked within their office. The following day when my parents called to ask if someone could unlock the office to collect the envelopes there all of the sudden weren't any envelopes within the office. I am by no mean saying that these were stolen we just felt they did not feel there was a need to check... a few friends and family members had to cancel and rewrite checks.

Taylor seems like a nice person but I felt she lacked some of the experience that was needed to have the day go smoothly.

Sent on 12/22/2016

2.4
      2.5
      2.0

We recently had our wedding here. We had worked with Stacey, the event director for almost a full year and absolutely loved her. Then without warning her job was eliminated and the Elks chose to start some kind of change. We learned this later though our caterer. We felt kind of duped because we weren't told this at all. We had a contract and we should have been told about this!

The assistant director was ok, but Bryn didn't know us and thank god she had Stacey's notes from before. We were disappointed and it added stress to our day. Everything went good but we really missed the way Stacey was always so attentive, kind and thoughtful. Especially about returning our emails and calls. Since she was forced out of her job, the communication was the worst. Stacey was always on top of things, returning our emails so fast! This is a loss for the Elks and we hope that wherever she is she will see this and know that she was missed.

Unless things really improved we would not recc the Elks.
    It went from being run so professionally and with actual caring to just another venue that doesn't really care about you; they just want your money. We went with the Elks not only because of the view (it is gorgeous) but because of Stacey. Her sincerity was genuine.
    The Elks are fools to have lost her.

Sent on 05/03/2014

1.8
      0.5
      1.0
      2.5
      0.5

It really saddens me to have to write this because when we initially went with the Elks Stacy Dexler was our coordinator and she was fantastic! I chose this place because my mothers ashes had been spread at Bass rocks and its more affordable since both my parents have passed. At my 8 week meeting prior to the event we went over the details with Stacy's old assistant Bron and she assured everything would run smooth. Several times I mentioned and have it documented I wanted bottle wine service and included the types of wine, and the day of her assistance had to ask again if I wanted wine service. Several times I told her I wanted open bar all evening and even have it documented that I wanted to run my credit card and wanted to ensure the tip, she responded that I could pay the bar tab with my card and the 18% would be added. The day of my event a staff member asked my future mother in law for a credit card for the cocktail hour???? Whom in no way shape or form, EVER did we or her mention she would pay for a cocktail hour, and she was surprised and embarrassed she was asked. Along with that, they started charging my guests for drinks. They never gave an itemized receipt, just the credit card so we could even see if they charged for the tipping on the wine service which they were NOT supposed to. If it wasn't for Bron, I would recommend this place, however the fact that on the rehearsal she didn't even have the names of our wedding party, and didn't even ask those simple questions to double check??? is SOOOOOO unprofessional. The caterer SEVERAl times went over the food choices, resent emails to double, triple check, same with all other vendors. She couldn't even provide me a copy of her notes prior to the even to ensure we were all on the same page? I guess its my fault that I planned a wedding without any help because both my parents have passed and I forgot to ask her to double check to see if her job was done correctly.

Sent on 05/28/2014