The Elks at Bass Rocks Reviews

Ellyse · Married on 09/02/2016

3.2
      3.5
      3.0

Was a little frustrated that at the last minute Taylor was assigned to handle our wedding, given I had never spoke with her till the day before.

The day of the wedding there were a few things that happened which we were unhappy with... my husband was put in a separate room from his wedding party by himself at her insistence, after 30 minutes alone he had to put his foot down and tell her he wasn't going to sit there alone. We are still unsure why this was necessary.

A few of those helping me by keeping tabs on some organizational aspects commented that she was rude and made comments to them which were described as "snarky". At one point, one of those friends who runs a well known restaurant (which hosts weddings) actually had to start telling Taylor how she should handle some of the seating issues that arose.

Lastly, at the end of the night we were told that some of the cards weren't put in the correct spot and had been locked within their office. The following day when my parents called to ask if someone could unlock the office to collect the envelopes there all of the sudden weren't any envelopes within the office. I am by no mean saying that these were stolen we just felt they did not feel there was a need to check... a few friends and family members had to cancel and rewrite checks.

Taylor seems like a nice person but I felt she lacked some of the experience that was needed to have the day go smoothly.

Sent on 12/22/2016

2.4
      2.5
      2.0
      2.0

We recently had our wedding here. We had worked with Stacey, the event director for almost a full year and absolutely loved her. Then without warning her job was eliminated and the Elks chose to start some kind of change. We learned this later though our caterer. We felt kind of duped because we weren't told this at all. We had a contract and we should have been told about this!

The assistant director was ok, but Bryn didn't know us and thank god she had Stacey's notes from before. We were disappointed and it added stress to our day. Everything went good but we really missed the way Stacey was always so attentive, kind and thoughtful. Especially about returning our emails and calls. Since she was forced out of her job, the communication was the worst. Stacey was always on top of things, returning our emails so fast! This is a loss for the Elks and we hope that wherever she is she will see this and know that she was missed.

Unless things really improved we would not recc the Elks.
    It went from being run so professionally and with actual caring to just another venue that doesn't really care about you; they just want your money. We went with the Elks not only because of the view (it is gorgeous) but because of Stacey. Her sincerity was genuine.
    The Elks are fools to have lost her.

Sent on 05/03/2014

1.8
      0.5
      1.0
      2.5
      0.5

It really saddens me to have to write this because when we initially went with the Elks Stacy Dexler was our coordinator and she was fantastic! I chose this place because my mothers ashes had been spread at Bass rocks and its more affordable since both my parents have passed. At my 8 week meeting prior to the event we went over the details with Stacy's old assistant Bron and she assured everything would run smooth. Several times I mentioned and have it documented I wanted bottle wine service and included the types of wine, and the day of her assistance had to ask again if I wanted wine service. Several times I told her I wanted open bar all evening and even have it documented that I wanted to run my credit card and wanted to ensure the tip, she responded that I could pay the bar tab with my card and the 18% would be added. The day of my event a staff member asked my future mother in law for a credit card for the cocktail hour???? Whom in no way shape or form, EVER did we or her mention she would pay for a cocktail hour, and she was surprised and embarrassed she was asked. Along with that, they started charging my guests for drinks. They never gave an itemized receipt, just the credit card so we could even see if they charged for the tipping on the wine service which they were NOT supposed to. If it wasn't for Bron, I would recommend this place, however the fact that on the rehearsal she didn't even have the names of our wedding party, and didn't even ask those simple questions to double check??? is SOOOOOO unprofessional. The caterer SEVERAl times went over the food choices, resent emails to double, triple check, same with all other vendors. She couldn't even provide me a copy of her notes prior to the even to ensure we were all on the same page? I guess its my fault that I planned a wedding without any help because both my parents have passed and I forgot to ask her to double check to see if her job was done correctly.

Sent on 05/28/2014