The Elks at Bass Rocks Reviews

The Elks at Bass Rocks 5
The Elks at Bass Rocks 6
The Elks at Bass Rocks 7

Deena · Married on 08/01/2010

AMAZING, GORGEOUS, PERFECT location for our wedding ceremony and reception. Kelly is absolutely fantastic, and willing to accomodate any and all requests. We had our chuppah and ketubah ceremony at Elks, as well as the reception. Our friends and family are raving about this place...we had the most perfect wedding here!!

Sent on 08/07/2010

Mary · Married on 04/17/2010

Great Location. Right on the water and the wedding coordinator Kelly is phenomenal. She helped us with so many aspects to help us create a perfect day.

Sent on 06/18/2010
  • kati may

Kati · Married on 09/25/2009

Kelly Barusso (event coordinator) is an absolute gem. From the moment she toured us around the property, shared our catering options (there are several companies to choose from), and helped us envision different creative options...I was in love every step of the way.
    The value you receive is unique for the location. The property is located on Bass Rocks, which is also known as the "Back Shore." The Atlantic sprawls across a panorama of windows. For anywhere on Cape Ann, particularly Gloucester, there is no where you will get more for your money.

Sent on 10/25/2009

Jill · Married on 08/07/2009

We had our wedding on August 7th at the Elks. It was an absolutely perfect day and the most perfect venue. The Elks has windows on three sides of the ballroom so you get a constant view of the Atlantic. The wedding/event coordinator Kelly was the most helpful person ever. She coordinated everything with all my outside vendors so everything flowed smoothly. All my guests had a wonderful time and told me it was by far in the top 3 weddings they have been to.

Sent on 09/18/2009

Colleen · Married on 07/01/2016

This is an amazing venue...Beautiful location and the staff was very helpful....I highly recommend going with vinewood caterers...everyone raved about the food!!

Sent on 02/12/2017

The Elks at Bass Rocks was the perfect location for our wedding (second week of August). Beautiful views and very helpful and friendly staff. Deborah, the coordinator is extremely helpful and allowed us to have a worry free wedding day. I absolutely recommend this venue for anyone looking for an Oceanside ceremony/reception without a wedding factory feel.

Sent on 08/29/2015

Kamella · Married on 10/07/2011

The Elks at Bass Rocks new Event Manager is Stacey. She is a blessing to work with. She doesn't let you lift a finger the day of and is very organized which helps to make everything run smoothly.
    I even had a problem with the band getting stuck and traffic and not have arrived before some guests started to arrive but not one guest mentioned that they noticed that.
    She is very responsive the whole way through the planning and day of.

The Elks itself is a wonderful venue. They are very experienced in having weddings. There is just enough space to play around with your layout. They have many trusted vendors who really enjoy working at the Elks (so they have said).
    The location is gorgeous. It overlooks the ocean and has these big rocks that make for an excellent photography location.

It's a little bit out of the way but well worth it. The towns nearby are also cute and will give your guests a nice little vacay if they wanted.

Sent on 11/01/2011

Cassie · Married on 10/22/2017

We chose the Elks in August of 2016 for our fall 2017 wedding. At the time we were working with Debra and Taylor - both were great, but then in the spring of 2017 Taylor left and Emily was our new coordinator. Everyone was great, but we really appreciated Emily's attention to detail. Her personality perhaps just felt more organized to me but that's probably just preference. We had some hiccups because when I first met with Emily, it was clear that some details were not properly communicated to Taylor, but Emily made it very easy to pick up. She took care of loose ends and worked with us to ensure we could meet in the middle. She was on top of all the details we needed and gave me great tips and reminders. I definitely think anyone who wants any type of event at the elks will be in capable good hands!

THE LOCATION!! It's RIGHT on the ocean in beautiful Gloucester - you can't get any better than that! When we visited it for the first time we immediately fell in love. As far as inside, it's spectacular! We got REALLY lucky in that when we saw the place and signed for it, half the floor was still carpeted and the bridal suite was still old. We were told it was going to be remodeled and would be completely new by the time of our wedding. Sure enough they updated all the light fixtures, ripped out the ugly old carpet and made the entire venue hardwood, updated the bridal suite and put new and better furniture, and added a TOILET to the wash room in the bridal suite. We REALLY really lucked out.

So you have a day of coordinator, GORGEOUS views of the ocean both inside and out (inside they have alll windows along the side that faces the ocean so you get an amazing view from inside), updated venue, elks pricing for drinks, updated bridal suite that you can use up to 3 hours before the start of your wedding for a SUPER reasonable price. When I say this is a hidden gem I mean it. We opted for a Sunday wedding which made it even cheaper. USE THE ELKS!!! :)

Sent on 11/22/2017
    The Elks at Bass Rocks 8

Robert · Married on 04/08/2017

Taylor and her team were extremely helpful during our special day and Kara and I couldn't have been happier with our selection of the Elks. The view of the ocean was exceptional and the renovated space was beautiful. Even our guests had complimented on how beautiful the venue was and loved the views.

Taylor and her team were well organized and made the day for us go seamlessly from the ceremony to the wedding event itself.

I would recommend to any future couple the Elks at Bass Rocks for their special day as they won't be disappointed.

Sent on 04/24/2017

Emily · Married on 07/18/2014

Our wedding at the Elks at Bass Rocks was absolutely wonderful. We chose the venue about a year out from our wedding, and although our wedding coordinator abrubtly switched over this time period, the level of service and professionalism did not waver one bit. The event manager, Bron, was a pleasure to work with, and our day-of coordinator (Fay) was great as well. Throughout the process I felt like I could ask any question, no matter how small, and the response was always timely, friendly and informative. Bron and the staff at the Elks worked closely with our vendors to make sure that the big day, and everything leading up to it, ran as smoothly as possible.
    In short, my wedding at the Elks at Bass Rocks was perfect. I could not have asked for a better venue to work with. I would highly recommend the Elks at Bass Rocks!

Sent on 09/04/2014

bonnie · Married on 04/25/2009

The Elks is a beautiful venue! Especially with all the refurbishing that was just done. And really you cant beat the view! Kelly is fantastic to work with and helped keep me on track - she's and excellent DOC!

Sent on 06/06/2009

Laura · Married on 07/23/2016

I knew The Elks at Bass Rocks would be a beautiful setting for our wedding but I had no idea how incredible the whole experience would be! The location is unparalleled as far as having a gorgeous backdrop for any event, and breathtaking wedding photos. The event coordinator Deborah went above and beyond to ensure our day went perfectly and it did! Her organization, attention to detail, and abilities in coordinating and streamlining the event from behind the scenes truly made the difference in making the night go smoothly. I continue to get comments and positive feedback from our guests and family regarding the venue and Deborah's efforts.

Sent on 08/25/2016

Jannine · Married on 06/17/2016

Guests LOVED the venue. I was very happy with the vendors to choose from. The wedding director made sure that things were executed as I requested.

Sent on 12/19/2016

3.5

We are so pleased we went with the Elks for our wedding reception. Deborah and Taylor are very experienced, which shows in their professionalism and how smoothly the day of the wedding went. They offer great advice for the order of events, but are very accommodating and understanding if you want to switch things up. They make sure that your special day is reflective of you as a couple and that you and your guests have an exceptional experience. The interior reception hall is clean, bright and lovely. And the views of the ocean spectacular!

Sent on 06/15/2016

Cindy · Married on 10/11/2015

For as long as I can remember, I had wanted to get married in Gloucester. I had been a frequent visitor to Gloucester for the majority of my life and dreamed about my wedding by the ocean. Elks at Bass Rocks was everything in a venue that we could have asked for. Not only could we have our ceremony and reception at the same location, but along with it came the million dollar view, and a ceremony that could be performed outside with the ocean as our backdrop. In my mind it didn't get much better than that.

Our coordinator, Deborah was a talented professional who clearly had the experience to handle any type of ceremony and reception. And the day of, she was a rockstar in helping everything go so smoothly. She was an important part of one of the biggest days of our lives.

Not only were the views stunning inside and outside, but the value of the venue was amazing. I had been disheartened by the other venues in Gloucester because of the price, but the Elks at Bass Rocks was extremely reasonable.

Our day was absolutely perfect, even the weather in October! We couldn't have been happier with our experience with the Elks at Bass Rocks.

Sent on 12/31/2015

My husband and I couldn't have imagined a better place to have our seaside wedding. The Elks at Bass Rocks is not only a fabulous venue on the water with gorgeous ocean views, but has a wonderful staff and is completely affordable! We were convinced that having our wedding in Boston would break the bank, so finding the Elks on the North Shore for our Sunday wedding was perfect.

The Elks is a gem. Bronwen and her staff are so attentive to details and wonderful to work with, even with some of our specific requests (for example, they were so cooperative when we asked them to set up two separate aisles with the chairs). They do work as one large team, so expect that you might not have just one point person emailing with you. It was a little confusing at first, but Bronwen helps with a lot of the planning and then someone else might be assigned to be the day-of coordinator. Kayla ended up working our wedding which was fabulous because she also works with our caterer, Vinwood, for seamless planning. Kayla is so sweet and loves what she does. She pays attention to every detail and we always felt comfortable emailing her late at night with even the smallest questions. My family loved chatting with her during all the prep and she always made us feel taken care of. I had a LOT of decorations and I was concerned about all of them getting set up in the reception hall. Under Kayla's direction everything was decorated according to plan and we were so thrilled when we saw the hall! It was just as we had imagined.

Because Vinwood works so closely with the Elks (I'm not sure if they are their exclusive caterer at this point) we ended up finalizing details with the Elks staff. Somehow our alcohol choices slipped through the cracks, but we were able to finalize that when we had our rehearsal and they ended up having the wine and beer selections we were hoping for. Because they have two bars at the Elks, they are always well stocked.

Sent on 10/19/2014

Jenny · Married on 07/14/2012

This is place to get married! Not only for the value but for the view, the people and the choices of caterers that you have!! I starting my planning process feb 2011 and first spoke and met with Kelly, who was great but by the end of 2011 Stacey was the new coordinator at the ELks, she was fantastic! She made me feel comfortable and was easy to work with. The Elks has new beautiful chivari chairs as well as a wonderfully large dancefloor! I couldnt have been happier on my wedding day! Everything was perfect, and I have the weather, the caterer and Stacey all to thank for that!! So thank you, thank, thank you!! You want to get married at a place that makes you feel comfortable, at ease and just have a lax wonderful wedding this is the place for you!!! VERY affordable too!!

Sent on 08/22/2012

Carolyn · Married on 07/09/2017

The Elks at Bass Rocks was a wonderful reception venue! My husband and I had our reception there on July 9, 2017. It is absolutely beautiful and a great value. The view of the ocean is unparalleled and the recent updates and renovations to the Atlantic Room and bridal suite are great. So many of our guests raved about how gorgeous the location was and what a wonderful time they had! Our on site wedding coordinator, Emily, was polished, professional, and detail oriented. Everything went off without a hitch and we couldn't have been happier. I will mention that two site coordinators left during our wedding planning process, and we were not told in advance of their departures. It was a bit jarring to email our coordinator and find out that someone else had taken their place, especially one month before the wedding! But the transitions went smoothly and seamlessly, so all worked out. I would enthusiastically recommend the Elks at Bass Rocks to anyone looking for a wedding reception site!

Sent on 09/03/2017

3.5

I will be having my wedding reception here and so far they have been great. Responsive to my emails and helpful in any specific questions and ideas that I have. I look forward to having my wedding at The Elks and trust they know their stuff!

Sent on 12/30/2014

Katelyn · Married on 07/14/2007

The Elks is beautiful. You and everyone else will get over that it's an "Elks" once you see the view. The cost is next to nothing and it's NON SMOKING!!! Sharine was also very helpful and very "on the ball" the day of the wedding.

Sent on 05/31/2008

4.2
      3.0

The Elks at Bass Rocks is a beautiful venue at a gorgeous location. We went for a more casual-style reception that threw a lot of the traditional reception elements out the window and the venue was very supportive and helpful making our event truly our vision. They are not very timely in responses until they need answers from you, but all the details worked out perfectly in the end!

Sent on 12/19/2016

Lindsay · Married on 07/31/2011

3.5

The Elks is a key location for wedding reception. I chose not to have my ceremony here because I wasn't keen on the thought of cars (and possibly loud motorcycles) driving by during my ceremony (which someone I knew told me this had happened to their nephew with the motorcycles during his ceremony). I actually worked with 2 coordinators there as they were in the process of switching from Kelly to a new coordinator. In the interim they had Samantha and the new permanent coordinator is Stacey, so I got to have both of those ladies working with me on my wedding day. Aside from a couple of miscommunication issues in the midst of the switch, everything was amazing. Stacey and Sam were right by my side at every moment they needed to be, to let me know of what needed to happen next. The hall is beautiful and they had recently had the ladies room redone, which it desperately needed! I had been to a wedding there a few years before. The location cannot be beat. Staring at the ocean all night was exactly what I wanted to do and there is no missing that at the Elks! The only thing that I will be really bummed about forever is that someone stole part of my cake topper. It was 2 adirondack chairs and someone took one. I have no idea if it was a staff member or a guest, but it was a low blow, and I'll always be saddened by that. The staff working the venue were all employees of the caterer aside from the bartender, I think, so unless it was Stacey herself (which I absolutely know it wasn't!) then the Elks is not responsible for that.
    Every day I wish I could have my wedding over and over, it was just so fun and beautiful, and I would always choose the Elks as my venue!

Sent on 04/23/2012

The Elks at Bass Rocks's reply:

Hello Lindsay! I appreciate the comments that you have written about our venue in your review. Your wedding was lovely and it made me upset, too, that someone would actually take something from you that clearly was important to you. I so wish that I could have prevented the theft of your cake topper :-(. Thank you for letting me use some of your pictures for the website. You looked stunning and thank you for taking the time to write. I wish you and Jared many years of happiness together!

Gabi · Married on 10/19/2014

3.5

The Elks was beautiful and everything came out beautifully! My only small complaint is that we booked at a time when the venue was in between event coordinators, so during that shift we had a hard time getting a hold of anybody. It made for some frustrating times six months before the wedding... but they came through in the end and it turned out fine. Kayla was our day-of coordinator and she was wonderful!

Sent on 12/02/2014

3.4
      1.5
      3.0

Our wedding day went off without any issues and our day of coordinator, Kayla, was on top of everything from start to finish. The only problem that I encountered was during the planning, and it was a major communication issue. After our final meeting, I was told that I would receive an updated itinerary - about a week later, I was sent a very old version with no updated information. After being told many times by Deborah that she would send me the correct one in a few hours, or the next day, I didn't receive it for over a month. While I kept a pretty low stress level throughout the planning, I did become extremely frustrated that I was not receiving the level of service I was paying for. Aside from the frustrating communication about the itinerary, I was surprised to walk into the final meeting and feel that I was much more prepared for it than the Elks. Miscommunication in the meeting also led to a misunderstanding on table numbers, which I was asked to change after I had already finished completing all assignments. With only a month from the wedding, I felt as if I was getting the run-around, and having all of my preparations complete early on was becoming a detriment. Overall, the actual wedding day went very well, but it was frustrating working with the Elks up until that point. A key piece that makes me rate this higher than I initially wanted to is that they do work very well with the other vendors - which again, made the actual day of go perfect. Your guests do not see any of the background prior to the wedding, all they see is that they had a fantastic time at a venue with an AMAZING view.

Sent on 07/20/2015

Nicole · Married on 06/23/2007

3.4
      2.0
      3.5

The day of the wedding was amazing but leading up to the weekend, it was very hard to get in contact with the coordinator, causing me to hire someone else to do day of coordination.

Sent on 08/27/2008