The Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds Reviews

The Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds 6
The Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds 7

Heather · Married on 10/05/2018

Beautiful, Unique Venue

Danielle was our point of contact at The Conservatory from our first walk-through to running our rehearsal. Day of, Alida was the venue coordinator. They were both wonderful to work with and it the process felt seamless. Danielle was responsive, most quickly by phone, but also detailed in her responses to emails whenever we had questions. We didn’t do the option of the day-of-coordination but found we were in good hands with the venue coordinator and our full service caterer which was one of the recommended caterers.

The Conservatory is beautiful and while we got lucky with weather and we didn’t need to use it, there is a great rustic indoor option separate from the main reception area for an indoor ceremony. It was really important that we chose a venue with a rain option and I honestly wouldn’t have been upset if we had to move our ceremony inside.

The patio has multiple backdrops for an outdoor ceremony. We chose the Zen Garden and with all the landscaping and greenery, we didn’t need any additional flowers or arch. It was breathtakingly beautiful especially in the evening with the light. The venue itself and also areas around the the fairgrounds make for no shortage of diverse photo opportunities (a lake/fountain, rustic barns, stables, gardens, benches, fences, etc).

It was the perfect venue for our ~100 person wedding. It felt intimate enough for that guest count but I also imagine that if we had double the guests it would have fit comfortably. For the reception, I would recommend getting the dance floor and bistro lights through the Conservatory. It was really magical.

One thing to keep in mind for the marriage license is that despite the address, the venue counts as Frankford Township, not Augusta, NJ. We caught it quickly before it was any issue, but sounds like others may not have been aware and could cause delays. Not an issue with the venue at all, but something that we thought could be helpful to share.

We had a great experience and all of our guests and vendors kept commenting on how beautiful and unique the venue is. We would highly recommend The Conservatory for your wedding!

Sent on 10/26/2018

Susan · Married on 04/08/2018

I just got married there on April 8th, and I couldn't be happier about my wedding experience. People raved about the open, airy feel. The weather was so cold so we had the ceremony in the Farm Fun Room, and it was beautiful. The bridal prep area is a little small and needed a little sprucing up, but we got some inexpensive fabric that our florist attached to the wall with a garland, and it was perfect. I stayed and prepped at the Holiday Inn Newton-Sparta (It was only 10 minutes away) and then dressed in the prep room. We ran a shuttle back and forth for the bridal party and guests. There are no steps-which was perfect for our less mobile guests. We had an afternoon wedding so we got the benefit of the bright sunny day, sunset, and the indoor lighting in the evening. Definitely consider this when discussing lighting needs/packages with your dj. Danielle was very helpful and great to work with. She made us feel like she was just as excited for us to be getting married as we were. The Conservatory requires that you work with one of three approved caterers-we went with Frungillo's. They were fabulous. People repeatedly commented on how great the food was. Dawn was our day-of manager, and she was great. And because of the relationship between the venue and the caterer, Danielle and Dawn worked seamlessly together. We did not pay the extra $1000 for the premiere day-of package, and we didn't feel for a second that we should have. They took care of everything. We went with the long rectangular tables instead of the rounds. It may cost more to rent the linens, but I thought that the look was beautiful and changed the feel of the reception. We drove around the grounds the day before to stake out some places for pictures. I highly recommend doing this as there are a lot of places that would be good for some more unique pictures besides the gazebo. In the Farm Fun Room, we hung a garland behind our officiant and brought in some plants which they placed on some cool barrels.

Sent on 04/22/2018
    The Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds 8
    The Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds 9
    The Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds 10
    The Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds 11
    The Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds 12
    The Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds 13

Lauren · Married on 07/06/2013

The Conservatory is a great place for your wedding and the grounds that surround the building are beautiful. MaryAnn is extremely helpful at the front desk, and Butch and his crew on the grounds were Such a big help the days leading up to the wedding. I would definitely recommend this venue,

The only one downfall is that there are no bathrooms in the building, but it is very easy to bring a trail into the Side building called the "Fun Farm".

Sent on 07/30/2013

Justine · Married on 09/10/2016

Not only is the venue absolutely stunning, the people at the Conservatory are extremely helpful and courteous! We worked with three different coordinators over the course of our planning – which, admittedly was frustrating in months leading up to our wedding – but on the day-of, I would have had no idea that they weren't all the same person. The communication between the three of them must have been flawless, because our day went off without a single issue (to my knowledge!) and everything felt like exactly what I imagined. The only reasons their review isn't a full 5 is because of the following: when we booked, we were told we could do "anything we wanted" - including fireworks. Yet, just a few weeks before our wedding, we found out that we were not able to use chinese paper lanterns – even though they were less extreme than fireworks – because their landing could not be controlled. Additionally, as previously mentioned, I was a little frustrated about having to work with three different coordinators. I would have been more comfortable working with one that I had already met and spoken with, but instead I had to trust that the day-of coordinator was given all the correct information. However, I think this situation could easily be rectified if it's made clear from the beginning of the planning/contract process that one coordinator is the preference. I didn't know this would be the case, so I never asked!

Sent on 09/25/2016

Marie · Married on 06/28/2014

The grounds at Sussex County Fairgrounds are completely beautiful. The venue was perfect for the laidback, romantic wedding I wanted. Kristin, the woman I worked with, was very flexible and helpful. My guests couldn't stop raving about the space.

Sent on 07/17/2014

Mary · Married on 05/24/2019

3.4

The perfect Casual wedding

My husband and I wanted a wedding that didn't take place in a typical ballroom. We looked at over 10 venues before finding the conservatory. What's great about this venue is that you can do and create the wedding that you want. Since you have to provide your own alcohol we went all out and got drinks that aren't at typical venues like hard seltzer which was a hit. The price for the venue is also decent compared to other places. The biggest downfall was towards the end of the wedding planning. Several people had quit and no one knew who was going to be handeling the wedding which was a bit of a concern. Overall the wedding went well and everyone loved the scenery. If you are a hardworking person who doesn't care about doing alot of the work yourself I would say go for it, it is definitely worth it!

Sent on 07/01/2019

Katie Rego · Married on 05/19/2019

3.2

Beautiful venue!

The conservatory and the gardens are so beautiful!! We are so happy we had our wedding here! They bring out flowers from the greenhouse which really brightens everything up! The venue does seem to be going through some staffing changes though, so leading up to the wedding we had some issues getting responses/finalizing planning. That being said, it was still a great experience!

Sent on 06/11/2019

2.0

I absolutely loved having my reception at The Conservatory. It was the most beautiful venue that I looked at it, and I just had to book it... even though I did foresee that it would be stressful. Like another reviewer said, be prepared to get a full-service caterer that can manage everything for you. The venue provides no event staff besides maintenance workers at your wedding, so I would also highly recommend hiring a wedding coordinator to help run things.

The Conservatory has no running water and no permanent bathrooms. The rental fee only includes the tables, chairs, and the bathroom trailer. If you book this place, try to find a caterer with all-inclusive packages (which we did), otherwise your cost of rentals will be extremely expensive.

The event manager who was my main point of contact at the venue was hard to get a hold of sometimes. She also constantly made promises that were not kept. Before we booked the venue, she said the floors would be redone prior to our wedding. Never happened. When we asked about this, she said they weren't able to finish the floors because they were building permanent bathrooms. She said that these might be ready before our wedding, but was likely just trying to appease us. When we asked about the permanent bathrooms and they still weren't finished, she told us that she would give us the upgraded bathroom trailers at no charge. On the day of the wedding, we still only had the standard trailers... no upgrade. She says what she can to please clients, but does not seem to follow through.

Like I said, I loved having my wedding here, and I thought it was worth all the stress. This might not be the case for you. But if you want a unique and beautiful venue that will truly wow your guests, The Conservatory is great, especially if you hire the right vendors to help you put it all together.

Sent on 11/09/2015

1.0
      2.0

If you want a lovely venue, this is it. Lots of space inside, very pretty building, patio out back and barns to rent. Yet, it was hard for me to get in touch with anyone regarding the space, I had to wait at least a week at times for a response. In addition, I was told that my date was not available due to another festival going on, later to find out that festival was cancelled and they did not let me know.

Overall I had a wonderful wedding there, but be prepared to get a great caterer that can do all the coordinating with them for you. Also, you have to rent bathroom trailers because there are no bathrooms in the building.

Sent on 07/15/2014