The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain Reviews

The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain 1
  • M.Mirosh

Mania · Married on 06/12/2011

4.2

Comus Inn is a beautiful venue! Our pictures are amazing! Cheryl (the coordinator) is very helpful and responds to emails/calls right away..

Sent on 07/17/2011

Joanna · Married on 08/22/2009

4.2
      3.0

Good food -- friendly staff -- great location, beautiful scenery/view of Sugarloaf Mountain -- very expensive, especially the tent rental -- isn't as equipped as other wedding venues (no arch provided, no outdoor speakers for wedding ceremony, everything is essentially extra fee-wise)

Sent on 08/27/2009

3.0

The venue itself was wonderful & the staff was extremely friendly - such a beautiful location for our wedding reception. The wedding coordinator with the venue was definitely lacking. It would take 3+ days to get email responses and she usually was not there when we called. We always had to reach out to try to extract information, it was never sent to us ahead of time. We also did not get some of the pertinent information correctly delivered to us the first time like the number of guests at a table & the floor plan for tables until the day before which was a little stressful because everything had to be rearranged. The food itself was great & the servers were very personable but I was extremely disappointed with the number of appetizers (not the responsibility of the food staff). We requested on the paper we were required to fill out prior to the reception to have some appetizers in a private room for the wedding party since there was going to be a lot of pictures taken during the cocktail hour & when we finished with pictures & my mother asked where the appetizers for the bridal party were she was told they ran out. I had specifically said when we were planning this that I did not want to run out of appetizers because I thought that was extremely tacky at a wedding & was assured by the coordinator that she estimated these things for all the weddings there and we would not run out. We ran out part way through cocktail hr & no one in the bridal party got to have any nor did some of the guests. It was a very disappointing start to the reception. I would definitely recommend the venue because it was gorgeous, all the guests loved the food, & the staff and chefs for the reception were great, but do not expect the coordinator to be of much help.

Sent on 01/14/2017

Amy · Married on 10/11/2008

3.0

Our wedding and reception was held at the Comus Inn. It was absolutely gorgeous! It is the perfect location for a fall wedding. The food for the reception was wonderful and the staff really helped us to pull all the details together. People are still telling me what an amazing site the Comus was for our wedding!

Sent on 10/28/2008
  • User2039266 · 2+ years ago

3.8
      3.0

The Comus Inn is a beautiful venue!!! Working with Cheryl and the other staff on planning the wedding was great! They were very responsive and accommodating. Cheryl is wonderful to work with. On the day of the wedding a couple things did not go as planned. I think they had a lot of weddings that weekend and were overwhelmed. Overall, I enjoyed the Comus Inn as our venue, but was a little bit disappointed about the service and set-up on the day of the wedding. If your a bride, make sure you give your self some time to check everything out before you get dressed and ready on the wedding day!

Sent on 09/18/2013

3.5

I wish there was a choice to rate the view and overall surroundings- if you like a farm country rustic setting there is no better choice than The Comus Inn. The view is absolutely beautiful and the location of the ceremony and reception is fantastic. The food is wonderful and the staff is generally great. My one issue was that when we originally signed up to have the wedding there, there was a designated wedding coordinator who was really great and knew all of the ins and outs. However, a few months after we sent in the deposit, we found out that the wedding coordinator had quit and there was a new person who was filling in. I am not sure if the new person was just new and so some of our issues should be excused due to inexperience but overall I would say that she made the planning process more stressful rather than less stressful. She was very hard to get in contact with and often it would take several go arounds in emails to get things straight. Even on the wedding night, she did a great job but there were a few details that were wrong (e.g. put the wrong number of place settings at several tables so that some people had to switch to random tables because there was no seat for them at the one we assigned). Overall, we had a wonderful night and loved our wedding. I would just say that if this person is still the coordinator then I would make sure to double, triple check everything and be prepared for a little bit of aggravation.

Sent on 09/10/2014

3.0

Some of my guest felt unwanted or was bothered buy the lady that ran the wedding. She never had a smile one her face. Don't get me I loved my wedding it was the best ever but a lot of that had to do with our DJ and photographer .

Sent on 04/07/2013

Denise · Married on 05/01/2005

3.0

The quality of service, responsiveness and cost was above average. Professionalism and flexibility was average. At times I felt that I had to follow-up or felt like I was asking for something special. Nice outdoor area and view is excellent.

Sent on 11/19/2008

3.0

We had an amazing wedding, and the venue was fantastic. The sunset was so gorgeous - a lot of our guests took a little break from dancing to take pictures of it during the reception. Really, we would highly recommend the Comus Inn.

That being said, we had some trouble with the flexiblility of the coordinator, and often experience a long delay in responding to emails and mix-ups/not properly updating the contract. Good communication and persistence is essential, but it's totally worth it because the venue is so gorgeous.

Oh yeah! And I'd highly recommend having them cater and do the wedding cake! The food/cake was delicious!

-Ashley and Mike

Sent on 06/18/2014

Avenel · Married on 09/18/2010

3.2
      3.5

I recently had my wedding here and want to share my post-wedding perspective.
    Pros: The location is beautiful and rustic, with wonderful views of the Sugarloaf mountain. It was one of the nicest rustic, outdoor locations in the DC area I found, and they will work with your budget. Food is decent when individually served, but in bulk for a wedding, our meals were fine but guests mentioned that the fish dish was bland and dry.
    Cons: I would pay extreme attention to detail as the wedding manager on hand does not respond fully to questions. She would often respond to emails, but fail to answer several questions. This caused more stress than necessary. I ended up paying for a separate wedding planner for the day of and it was the best decision I ever made-partly because the wedding manager, who would have served as the day of manager, doesn't stay till the end of your event.
    Bartender and Food Service was good, but servers at the wedding did not circulate to refill water glasses or check on guests.
    The venue failed to tell me about music ordinances in the area which required the music to be turned down in volume significantly midway through my event, which was very disruptive (they did tell me that music had to be shut off at 10pm, but no information about lowering the volume was mentioned).

I would also look over your bill/contract very carefully to catch mistakes on what was previously agreed to. A several hundred dollar mistake was made on my bill and I did not find out until the DAY OF THE WEDDING (the last thing any bride wants to deal with on her wedding day).

At the end of the day I had a beautiful wedding, mostly because I am super organized and had other vendors who advocated on my behalf. I would not recommend a friend to get married here without explaining the caveats and insisting on a separate wedding planner.

Sent on 11/05/2010

2.5
      3.0

Working with The Comus Inn was far more difficult than I was anticipating, given their glowing online reviews. We were first assigned to one of the coordinators, Elisabeth. She was fine to work with, typically taking 2-3 days to get back to us. About 4 months after we signed the contract, Elisabeth stopped responding to emails. We finally called the inn about 2 weeks later and were told she had been let go and that our new coordinator, Megan, would get in touch with us soon. When we first met with her, it was clear that Megan hadn’t reviewed our file/plans at all, so we pretty much had to start from square 1 with relaying our different details. As we got closer to the wedding, Megan got less responsive, taking on average 2 weeks to get back to us. Sometimes she just didn’t respond at all. The week before the wedding, we were supposed to have one last meeting with her. When we got to the inn, Megan wasn’t there -- she had forgotten and left to “run an errand,” so we had to wait about 20 minutes for her to get back and she didn’t have any of our contracts/documents printed out. The crescendo was the day of the wedding -- Megan was a mess. It was pouring rain, so we went with our rain plan -- we had the ceremony under the same tent that the reception was in, so her staff had to take out all the chairs and set up the tables during the cocktail hour. I’m sure that was a TON of work for them, but it’s their rain plan and they supposedly do it all the time. So I was surprised to see how stressed Megan got -- she was red in the face, sweaty, totally disheveled. She was barking at her staff and got pretty nasty with our photographer when we were taking pictures. Several guests asked me who she was and what her problem was. She was not good at hiding her stress and keeping calm. In the end, our wedding was beautiful and I look back on the day fondly -- but working with Megan was, at best, frustrating and, at worst, embarrassing.

Sent on 09/25/2015

2.0

The Comus Inn is a beautiful location. They have a very nice wedding tent, the view of the mountain is beautiful and they have delicious food. However, there were A LOT of issues throughout the planning process, and unfortunately even on the day of.
    Since last November, they have had 3 different coordinators, so this was the cause of some of the problems. For example, we were quoted one price for cake by Coordinator 2, then were told that coordinator was wrong and it was actually going to be $2.50 more per person. Good customer service would have been to honor the original quote, instead of fight me on it. Some of the other problems we encountered were:
    - things added to the contract that we did not ask for but then were told were necessary, such as fans (the high was 74 degrees on the day of our wedding therefore we did not use these but paid several hundred dollars for them)
    - very rude bartenders
    - we paid for the reception to end at 11pm. We chose to do a sparkler exit, which required at least 15 minutes of our guests making their way to the front and lining up and lighting the sparklers, so we agreed this would be announced at 10:45. My new husband and I were in the limo at 10:47 driving away. This was probably the most disappointing issue we had, as we would have loved another 15 minutes of our wedding to enjoy with family and friends.
    - the dance floor was smaller than what we paid for, when I brought it up it was clear that I had caught them, they were just going to hope we didn't notice so they did not have to refund us
    The overall word I would use to describe the staff is sneaky, they add things to the contract without consulting you and hope you don't notice so they can make more money off of you. When I emailed my concerns to them, I was met with rude, insulting responses from the General Manager. If you fall in love with the location like we did, be prepared to go through everything VERY carefully, and to endure headaches and fights.

Sent on 09/18/2014

Lisa · Married on 05/03/2008

1.8
      1.0

It is an absolutely beautiful venue, but the dinner took over an hour to serve and the food that was provided at the wedding was completely different than the entrees on our contract and given to us at the tasting. The event coordinator was not very helpful and messed up several of the details. I recommend this venue only if you are willing to be very direct or have your our wedding planner/coordinator. My wedding was beautiful and the venue played a big part in that, but it was made extremely stressful and frustrating due to inconsistencies of the venue.

Sent on 08/24/2008

Jolene · Married on 05/01/2014

1.4
      1.0

The Comus Inn is a beautiful location, but Chelsea was not good at responding to emails. We had questions about having the wedding indoors if the weather was inclement however she did not want to answer them for some reason. My guess is because indoors is not the ideal location. She was quick to respond and ask us if we decided to choose the location though. We didn't feel comfortable in her ability to make it all run smoothly so we didn't use them. When we responded letting her know we chose a different venue, she never even wrote back to wish us luck, thank us for our time, etc. It was just a little rude, in my opinion. Things don't seem to be very organized over there. Maybe if you have a wedding coordinator other than Chelsea it would be ok.

Sent on 06/14/2014