The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain Reviews

114 Reviews for The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain

1 User photo

The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain 1

Katie · Married on 10/22/2011

My wedding took place at the Comus Inn on 10/22/11. I found the Comus Inn while searching for a wedding venue online and the second my husband and I arrived we knew it was the perfect place for our wedding! And after we did a tasting we were very impressed with the food as well. Cheryl does a great job, she is very laid back which is exactly what I needed. She answered all of my questions and responded quickly to emails. We shared the venue with another wedding on our wedding day but everyone at the Comus must have worked very hard to turn things over because I never even saw evidence of another wedding! And we split the tent cost with the other wedding so I considered it well worth it! Our wedding day was amazing and ended up being so perfect! We loved the Comus and so did our wedding guests! We will be back for our anniversary next year!

Sent on 11/06/2011

Laura · Married on 10/10/2010

We were very happy with the excellent food and service at The Comus Inn. Our wedding ceremony and reception went perfectly and the Comus staff were thoughtful and responsive. Cheryl was especially helpful guiding us through the entire planning process, and was always quick to respond to questions and concerns we had. We had a lovely wedding and the Comus did a wonderful job!

Sent on 11/13/2010
  • lalaarts

Laura · Married on 06/06/2009

The Comus Inn was the location for our wedding and reception. It offers a stunning view of Sugarloaf Mountain and the fields leading up to its base. The Inn itself is a restaurant with a generous private floor for weddings, which includes an indoor area that opens to a huge outdoor patio and lawn. I was very happy with this venue and so were our guests. The food was good, service was fantastic, and view was incredible. Cheryl, the special event manager, followed through with all of my requests and was always responsive. My guests seemed just as romanced by the setting as we were and we were very happy to have selected this location for our ceremony and reception-we will be dining at the Comus for many anniversaries to come.

Sent on 06/28/2009

Kevin · Married on 06/28/2008

The Comus Inn is a great place to get married and/or have a reception. Depending on the size of the wedding, there is indoor/outdoor flexibility. The outdoor views are fantastic, and the interior is very nice with good views of the outdoors. If it's raining there may not be a great place for wedding photos, but if it isn't there are tremendous outdoor photo ops there. I thought the servers were great and the food is quite good. They also had a variety of food options which was very helpful to us. Cheryl was very responsive and easy to work with. No major complaints. I highly recommend the Comus Inn.

Sent on 03/16/2009

Geneva · Married on 08/22/2015

This is a beautiful venue and reasonably priced considering it's location!! Elisabeth, the event coordinator is fantastic and organized.

Sent on 12/29/2014

Bridget · event on 03/30/2013

I hosted a baby shower tea. The event was lovely with attention paid to every detail. The tea sandwiches, scones and pastries were delicious and beautifully served on tiered trays. Each course's tea was served in a different style of tea pot. All of our guests raved about the event. I highly recommend afternoon tea at the Comus Inn.

Sent on 04/22/2013

Sarah · Married on 09/24/2011

I had my reception at the Comus Inn on the outdoor patio. It was absolutely gorgeous. The wait staff were amazing especially the head waitress who personally tended to myself and my groom. The food was absolutely delicious, especially the Prime Rib, which I would highly recommend. Our guests LOVED having sugarloaf mountain as a backdrop and took tons of pictures of themselves and their families during the cocktail hour. There were a few wedding crashers from the restaurant upstairs and I think a few locals living within walking distance. We didn't have an open bar so it wasn't a big deal. I did have some trouble with the events manager who was very unorganized. She could be difficult to get a hold of and unreliable. She didn't always get my emails so I had to pursue her constantly and check several times to see if she had gotten my emails or acted on the ones she did read. My mother in law hosted the rehearsal dinner at the Comus Inn as well and had just as much trouble with her. She also wasn't very good at giving suggestions on food or drink options or pairings. I found her very frustrating and I had to aggressively pursue her during a time when I had a lot on my plate planning a wedding and moving. But the reception turned out to be amazing and the rest of the staff really knew how to pull off an event. I would recommend the Comus Inn to anyone with the caveat that you need to be on top of things.

Sent on 10/25/2011

Veronica · Married on 06/04/2011

We had our wedding ceremony and reception at the Comus Inn in early June and for the most part, everything went great. We were lucky and had gorgeous weather, so during the reception the many kids that attended my wedding were able to run around on the grass and roll down the hill without bothering other guests that were eating and dancing. The food was good, and the staff was very nice.

Sent on 07/01/2011

NORIKO · Married on 08/22/2010

We visited the Comus Inn for dining several times before we made our decision for wedding venue. We liked their quality of food and wonderful view of Sugarloaf and those were main reason of our decision making. However, it was surprising that the venue provided a event manager on the day, which was not noticed. And the manager conducted everything perfectly for us. Before the ceremony started, she checked bridal parlor to see if I need help, cheered me up. She seemed always observing what's going on among guests during the reception. Because of the perfect management, we got many compliments for our choice of venue. Everybody impressed food quality, service quality on top of its beautiful nature. My husband and I were so busy that we could not pay attention though, she solved most issues before we noticed. I would say that their service level is extremely high which we cannot experience from modern American service industry.
    Anyway, we could have perfect wedding day and we would recommend this place for wedding venue. They will listen to you until you're satisfied and make your dream true.

Sent on 11/11/2010

Matilda · Married on 08/01/2009

We chose The Comus Inn for our August 2009 wedding based on the setting - the stunning views and quiet country atmosphere were exactly what we were looking for! When we ate at The Comus Inn for the first time we realized that with such an incredible menu it would be the perfect location to entertain our guests. It was always a pleasure to work with The Comus Inn. The staff was incredibly conscientious and helpful - always willing to do what they could to help make our day just the way we wanted. We could not have asked for a more perfect setting! The views, food, service, and accommodating staff were above and beyond our expectations!

Sent on 08/12/2009

Halley · Married on 10/18/2008

We were able to book The Comus Inn on fairly short notice, which was great. Our wedding and reception were beautiful. The food was fantastic....people still comment on it (especially the mac and cheese bar). The people who serviced our wedding/reception were very professional, courteous and accomodating. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and we would highly recommend The Comus Inn!!

Sent on 08/02/2009

Marcia · Married on 06/21/2008

3.0

Spectacular venue. Service was excellent. Food was delicious and beautifully presented

Sent on 08/06/2008
  • Carie

Carie · Married on 09/14/2013

My wedding at the Comus Inn was a dream. This venue is so beautiful, and the staff were so nice. Cheryl and T were great to work with. The barn being finished inside was a great touch, and a nice place for my new husband and I to hang out after we had just gotten married. If you're looking for a scenic wedding with great food and great service, this is the place. The #1 thing wedding guests complain about is the food, and my guests loved the food at Comus (we had stations.)

So many articles I read talked about the bride and groom forgetting to eat and stuff like that, but the staff at the Comus Inn made SURE we ate, and served us food even though it was self- serve stations. They do not allow dogs on the property but realizing how important it was for my dog to be in the wedding, Cheryl compromised with me and let me have them as long as I had a handler that could take them offsite after. That was very important to me.

The Comus Inn is not for couples on a small budget - but you get what you pay for. I balked at the price of the tent rental (which is not included in the venue rental fee) and some of the other additional charges or things that were not included - but in the end the location, food, service... the way it all came together... it was worth every penny.

If I had one word of caution for future brides make sure you have someone who knows exactly what you want and can help setup. As other brides have said, some things didn't go as planned day-of. There were details that I outlined that did not happen the way I wanted them to but I didn't have time myself that day to worry about. I should have reviewed everything I wanted with the staff way ahead of time to make sure they could happen the way I wanted. Just be very clear of your expectations and confirm it in advance.

However, those little details don't ruin everything when you get married in a beautiful place like the Comus Inn to the man of your dreams - so it really was a perfect day.

Sent on 10/02/2013

Lena · event on 08/04/2012

Beautiful view Polite staff Food was first rate
    What more can you ask for? Even the rain stayed away.
    The ladies that have gotten back to me have raved about the food and the view. Most had never been out to the Maryland country-side, and said they were going to bring folks out to see how lovely the "Inn" is.
    It was a much easier drive than they had expected.

Sent on 08/07/2012

Tara · Married on 06/15/2012

The location was beautiful and perfect for an outdoor wedding. Cheryl was very helpful in the planning and very responsive to any questions I had. We were thinking of holding our rehearsal dinner at the venue as well, but had a minor issue with responsiveness on that manner. During the wedding there was only one minor hiccup. With the event being outdoors, we chose to have unity sand. Our container slipped off the table and was cracked during the setup. I'm not upset over that, as things happen, I just wish they had informed someone before hand and taped it up. As it was, we attempted to fill it and had sand fall out all over the table. We could not fill the container as planned. They taped it after the ceremony for us and displayed it for the reception.

Sent on 10/23/2013

Ashley · Married on 08/06/2011

Everything was amazing. Cheryl helped us organize so much of our wedding. She had a time line set for us, floor setting, and food. We even suggested fried chicken as an entree and she let us add that to the menu and it was a huge hit! Everyone loved it! She was rapid to respond to all my questions and emails! We has a slight problem with the manager not reviewing our contract and cutting our open bar off an half an hour early, Cheryl got in touch with us to discuss solutions after the event. That was the only problem we had. Cheryl is amazing and takes off a lot of the wedding day stress and provided much needed comfort for stressful brides!

Sent on 08/25/2011

Wonderful location for a wedding. I highly recommend them. I had to ask all the questions though. There are some dips in the grass that need to be fixed as several guests almost fell. Beautiful scenery with Sugarloaf Mountain in the background.

Sent on 06/29/2013

Lindsay · Married on 10/23/2011

The Comus Inn was the perfect location for our wedding. We really wanted something outdoors and that wasn't too stuffy, and The Comus Inn really fit the bill. We had the ceremony outside and the reception on the tented terrace. The food was very important to my husband and I, and The Comus Inn didn't let us down. We loved the many options that fit any budget. Only caution is that although the staff is truly helpful and nice, the on-site wedding coordinator lacked enthusiasm at times.

Sent on 11/06/2011
  • Addy

Addy · Married on 04/30/2011

My overall experience with the Comus Inn was amazing. Cheryl was a fantastic event coordinator. Lisa was our head waitress for the evening and she was extremely attentive to all my needs.

The scenery can't be beat, the food was amazing. I had so many guests ask us how we even found this place and agree that it fit our personalities perfectly.

I highly recommend the Comus Inn to any future bride and groom!

Sent on 06/14/2011

Megan · Married on 10/13/2007

Comus Inn is a gorgeous venue for any event. The wedding was held outside under a tent facing a beautiful fountain. We had hors d'ouvres and cocktails inside while the tent area was turned over and set for the meal. I only wish we had more time to enjoy everything. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable.

Sent on 03/15/2009

Lauren · Married on 11/01/2014

4.2

The Comus Inn was everything I was dreaming of! Things turned out perfect on the day of the wedding. Food was excellent, Elisabeth the day of coordinator kept us all in check, and the staff was professional. They were easy to work with while planning and they were very helpful with everything along the way. It was absolutely perfect!

Sent on 11/16/2014
  • User3301949 · event on 04/28/2013

3.5

The comus inn is an absolutely beautiful location and the service was excellent. They were able to work with me and make arrangements work for my event.

Sent on 06/04/2013

4.2

Great location. The venue was absolutely beautiful and the service was very friendly. The bar tenders and servors were very accommodating and entertaining.

Sent on 08/14/2012

Valerie · Married on 08/08/2008

4.2

My fiancé and I choose the Comus Inn for our reception location. It was close to the church we were married in and the setting was unique. Since most of our guests were from out of town, we wanted to treat them to something special instead of a cold, ordinary hotel banquet room. The setting and view at Comus Inn is spectacular! We were married in August and down here that time of year you don’t know what the weather will bring. Fortunately Comus Inn was prepared. We had a tent with sides in case of rain and we also had fans, in case of extreme heat. Thankfully we were blessed with the most perfect day! We had the fans running, but as the sun was setting, we had a great breeze and it was actually cool!

The food at the Comus Inn is exceptional. We had a fairly extensive cocktail hour with a raw bar, which was the hit of the reception. We went for a food tasting to decide on the entrees and we gave our guests a choice of chicken, beef or salmon. The food at the tasting was incredible. My only complaint was the chicken we tasted at the tasting was NOT the chicken that was served at the wedding. That was extremely disappointing since I raved about the chicken and it was what I choose to eat that night. I don’t know how that got screwed up but I wasn't happy.

Other than the problem with the one dish we choose, everything at the Comus Inn was perfect. They did a fantastic job setting everything up. The tent and view were breath-taking. Cheryl was very easy to work with and she was very responsive to me and my many questions and concerns.

The staff did a great job tending to all my guests. They were courteous and professional.

All of our guests said our wedding was the best wedding they had ever been to. I believe a lot of that was the location we choose. The Comus Inn is a wonderful place to have your reception. It’s classy with great food and a spectacular view. I would highly recommend them.

Sent on 11/26/2008

Lauren · Married on 07/20/2008

3.5

The Comus Inn was exactly what we were looking for - a picturesque place for an outdoor wedding ceremony but with a great indoor space for an intimate reception. The service was professional, the food was good, and they were able to accommodate our relatively modest budget. They took care of the chair rental for us, and even had a cute private bridal suite to use when getting ready. All in all I would highly recommend it! It would make a good place for a rehearsal dinner, too.

Sent on 03/15/2009