The Clebourne House Reviews

36 | Fort Mill, SC

36 Reviews for The Clebourne House

I completely DISAGREE with this last comment about The Clebourne House. I would 120% recommend this venue to anyone who wants a beautiful event and to work with a wonderful staff, especially Candace. We booked with Candace over a year out from our wedding, which was the best decision we could have made. She was always very willing to speak with us whenever we had questions. We met on location MULTIPLE times before the event to discuss things with her, have our family see the venue, etc. She ALWAYS returned our calls and emails and gave us advice and guidance for our event. We used most of her recommended vendors (because they were wonderful and really some of the best priced out there), but we did however use some that were outside of her recommendations. She was not rude at all to us about using other people as this was our decision. I know this other person is angry, but please do not relate this to The Clebourne House because this is one persons opinion and mine (and I know others) on the other hand couldn’t be more opposite. I had a wonderful experience with Candace and The Clebourne House. Our event was beautiful, food & cake were delicious, and everything was very well directed. Our guests had a wonderful time and loved the venue. My husband and I could not ask for anything more, except that we had had MORE time to enjoy the wonderful event!!

Sent on 10/18/2012

Angele · Married on 04/30/2011

Candace was so wonderful to work with, she was very professional and accommodating. I could not have asked for a more pleasant experience! My reception was beautiful and she also allowed me to have my bridal portraits taken at the house and they turned out just amazing! I enjoyed working with Candace and hope to get the chance to do so, again, in the future!

Sent on 12/05/2011

Carrie · Married on 07/03/2009

We loved having our wedding there. Great pictures and a nice, semi-formal atmosphere for us to have a smallish wedding (70 guests) and a sit down dinner. Food was delicious and very easy to work with! They even helped to supervise my other vendors!

Sent on 02/25/2011

John · Married on 06/18/2016

So very pleased with this venue and services rendered. So very helpful and easy to work with. Thank you for making everything so easy for us.

Sent on 06/24/2016

Guillermo & Jean · Married on 09/28/2013

Guillermo & Jean Alvear

We had a pleasant experience with Candace and her team at the Clebourne House. The venue was exactly what we had in mind for our wedding and there was plenty of room to accommodate the ceremony and the reception for an inside or outside wedding. Candace was very accommodating with the menu options and she allowed us to make some changes specific to our needs. After the contract was signed, she set up a few appointments to meet with us. Our parents came with us and Candace made it a point to remember their names. Every email we sent her was replied within a reasonable time and she never left a question unanswered or up in the air. The day of the wedding, Candace was very efficient and she kept us on schedule as discussed on our previous meetings. Her staff was very good to our families and we kept getting complements from our family members on how beautiful the wedding was and how organized and professional the staff were.

She made a recommendation when we looked for a DJ, photographer, and videographer but that particular team disappointed us a week before the wedding. We were so please with Candace that we trusted her recommendation but in the end, it wasn't her fault that that particular team did not meet our expectations. After we found a new DJ, photographer, and videographer, Candace collaborated with our new vendors and responded to every question they had. Our new vendors did such an excellent job, that I'm sure she will recommend them to other couples in the future.

For all the couples out there looking for a venue, we are definitely recommending the Clebourne House and make sure you do your homework when it comes to outside vendors so there's no surprises the day of your wedding.

Sent on 10/02/2013

Christine · Married on 05/17/2013

Candace at the Clebourne was great to work with. She listened to all of our concerns and really worked to make sure we were happy on the wedding day and the days leading up to it. All of our guests absolutely loved the venue. We were able to hold the ceremony and dancing outside and dinner inside on a beautiful May evening. And the honeymoon suite upstairs was so convenient after a long day of prepping and celebrating. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day and I would recommend the Clebourne to anyone!

Sent on 06/28/2013

Ashley · Married on 10/10/2015

The Clebourne House is a beautiful venue with helpful and accommodating staff. The owner, Candace, made sure our special day was amazing!

Sent on 12/06/2015

3.0

Our wedding was beautiful and went off without a hitch! We did have some trouble with communication with the coordinator, Candace. It would generally take several days to get a response to emails or phone calls. Candace was very helpful, but also late to every meeting we had. She was clearly stressed on the day of our event and even snapped at some of the groomsmen.
    The food was okay. We were disappointed with our buffet because we were told that there would be staff serving the food, and there wasn't. Because of this, guests didn't know they could take both meat options. We had a ton of leftover food!
    The bar staff and servers were tremendous and very friendly!
    The location is so gorgeous and was the perfect setting for our day. We loved being able to have our ceremony and reception all in one place.
    Overall, my husband and I are happy with our experience and the value that the Clebourne House offered!

Sent on 10/12/2016

Sarah · Married on 05/28/2016

3.0

Candace was great! She was very responsive. The only complaint I have is the price. Compared to other local vendors, our reception was expensive. The food was ok at best and some of the finishes weren't as nice as what I would expect for the price (i.e. wine was served in plastic cups instead of real glass and chairs are black plastic and it is nearly $5/chair to cover them). We had 6 last minute cancellations and could not get any money back with only 5 days notice. The day of, we had another 8 not show up. We paid the full price (which includes food, open bar, linens). Other vendors offered to charge 1/2 price for no shows or last minute cancellations. That would have saved a lot of money. The cake was great and the atmosphere was really relaxed but nice. We stayed the night and not having to travel was great.

Sent on 06/07/2016
  • kyger99

Nim · Married on 09/18/2010

1.5
      1.5

The venue was beautiful! Once we decided to go with an outside caterer (my husband is a chef and had his own connections) the professionalism and value dropped as they were not willing to work with us on a few items and the communication on those items did not come out until the last few weeks of the wedding.

Sent on 10/03/2010

0.4
      0.5
      1.0
      1.0
      0.0
      0.0

My husband and I were very unhappy with The Clebourne House, and we would not recommend them as a wedding venue

After being given the “salesperson smile,” we found that as we got closer to our wedding day the director/owner of the Clebourne house, Candace, became increasingly more difficult to work with. As you can find in other reviews, if you choose to go with people (officiants, caterers, photographers etc) outside of Candace's suggestions, the helpfulness that she is willing to give will decrease quickly.

She was incredibly rude to our guests, as well. Many guests mentioned how pushy, loud, and rude she was when dealing with our ceremony and reception. She was unorganized and unprofessional both during our year of planning and especially during our wedding day.

Further, Candace requires anyone who books with her to also use her catering. Our food tasted terrible, our buffet was tiny, and she tore it down before all of our guests were finished eating. Not only that, but she promised us hot roast beef and gave us cold-cut roast beef from a deli counter. When we mentioned to her that we had wanted hot roast beef, she denied ever having that conversation with us.

All-in-all, Candace is extremely difficult to work with. She didn't respect us or our ideas/vision for our wedding, and she made the whole planning process more stressful than necessary. My wife and I don't have fond memories of our wedding day because of all of the things that Candace did to make us feel unwelcome, unwanted, and unappreciated on our special day. When we tried to speak to her about these grievances, she wouldn't discuss any of the real issues we addressed. She wouldn't even return our emails after she sent a first response email that basically said, "too bad". Bottom line, Candace wants your money, and once she has it, you're not important to her anymore.

Though The Clebourne House seems like a good deal, it really isn't. Our advice is to book somewhere else.

Sent on 08/30/2012