The Cheney Place Reviews

89 | Grand Rapids, MI

89 Reviews for The Cheney Place

I booked the Cheney Place after seeing pictures online! I wasn't living in town yet, but after seeing pictures and [making] my husband go look at it for me-I booked it! they worked really well with me, were the right price at the time, and were still making updates! By the time my wedding rolled around it was everything that I had wanted, and the "look" of this venue was simple but has enough of its own character that I didn't have to do too much to make it look exactly how i wanted-which is what i needed in a venue! Over-all I would totally recommend this venue to anyone whole loves this look!

Sent on 09/24/2013

The Cheney Place's reply:

Thank you so much for your positive review! :) It's our goal to make your reception everything you hoped it would be, and we're so happy you enjoyed your day!!

Jeanne · Married on 12/08/2012

Lynn, Victor, and Aleece Hansen are fabulous! The Cheney Place was the perfect venue for us to host our daughter's wedding reception! We found them just as their venue opened and we were able to book it...I think that will be more difficult in the future because this venue is AMAZING!!! From the lighting to the bride and grooms elevator entrance, everything was perfect!!! Thank you!!!

Sent on 12/13/2012

Shawna · Married on 09/03/2016

I am so glad we went with The Cheney Place for our wedding. There were 2 must haves for us - Open Bar, and we wanted the day to be as easy as possible. No, it was not cheap - and it was worth every single penny. What I have to say is longer than allowed but I'll try my best.

The number one reason we chose The Cheney Place was because they do it all for you. They set up all your decorations and everything for you, and then they tear it all down. I put everything together and made lists of where I wanted things to be and dropped it off. Then I came back after the honeymoon and picked it all up. It was SO nice to not have to worry about fitting set up and tear down into the day and just focus on us and having an absolute blast.

The number 2 reason we picked them is that it is absolutely gorgeous and required basically no extra decor like a banquet hall would. The second floor is amazing, with multiple seating vignettes with vintage couches, tables, chandeliers, etc. It made for AMAZING -AMAZING - photographs. Our guests are still talking about it.

While the cost was more than other venues we looked it, it was worth the ease and peace of mind. We didn't have to worry about a single thing on the day of our wedding. Your coordinator coordinates with all your vendors, tells everyone where to be and when, lines everyone up, - everything. We really just showed up, got ready in our separate bridal and grooms suites, had fun, got married, had more fun, then went to our hotel.

They only do 1 event a day so you are never competing with someone. I would say the only "down side" is that they are VERY busy. There was a wedding on the Friday, and Thursday before our Saturday wedding, and another event the Wednesday before so we could only have our rehearsal dinner the Tuesday before. My family is all out of state so they couldn't be there - but they didn't need to be with the awesome coordinator and staff put you exactly where you need to be!

Sent on 08/28/2017
  • Molly

Molly · Married on 01/02/2016

The venue is awesome. They provide excellent service, sweet personalities that are down to earth and knowledgable and the place it's self is so darling!

Sent on 09/20/2015

The Cheney Place is a unique venue and a beautiful blank canvas for your wedding. I received MANY compliments on my reception venue choice. The building is a little bit deceiving from the outside but when you walk in you will be very impressed. The crew is accommodating and friendly and also worked well with the other vendors. I am SO happy I went with The Cheney Place for my wedding reception!

Sent on 07/17/2015
  • User2512097 · 2+ years ago

My husband and I absolutely loved having our reception at The Cheney Place!!! It is such a cool building, and all of our guests loved it. The owners of the venue are incredible people and is a large part of what made our experience so wonderful. They were very easy to work with, extremely accommodating, and very reliable.

Sent on 02/04/2013

Jessica · Married on 04/15/2016

We loved having our wedding and reception at The Cheney Place! Jenna was fabulous to work with! She used her experience to help us design the most beautiful reception. We loved that the team at The Cheney Place set up all the decorations and all we needed to do was show up! And the space..... It was just beautiful :)

And no clean up was required either - how can you go wrong with that??

Sent on 05/17/2016

Laura · Married on 08/06/2016

Having our wedding and reception at The Cheney Place was one of the best decisions we made for our day! The space is gorgeous, and unlike any other venue around. It’s got tons of character and charm—this is definitely not your average ballroom or banquet hall! It was SO convenient to have everything all in one space, and we loved that the entire building was ours for the whole day. They only book 1 wedding each day, so every couple gets the VIP treatment. Our on-site coordinator, Jenna, was super-helpful during the planning process, and we trusted her guidance 100%. She was totally cool with us being super-specific about the details of our day, and took great care in making sure everything came together for a great result. Every guest was raving about our awesome venue, we would choose it again in a heartbeat!!!

Our only complaints (and they’re fairly minor): 1. No one told us that Jenna wouldn’t be onsite for the wedding rehearsal or the actual wedding day. Her team did a nice job, but since we had been working closely with her for the previous year, we would’ve felt better if she had been there or would’ve appreciated a head’s up. 2. The team onsite on the wedding day wasn’t very careful when packaging up our décor pieces after the wedding. Since The Cheney Place specifically advertises their takedown services, I was disappointed to find fragile glassware not wrapped or protected, and the ribbon backdrop I spent hours making crumpled into a ball. Again, these things didn’t ruin our day by any means, they’re just something for future couples to be aware of. We would still recommend booking The Cheney Place if you get the chance, it’s totally worth it!

Sent on 09/06/2016

Nicole · Married on 04/12/2014

I knew I wanted a rustic feel for my wedding reception and The Cheney Place provided just that. We chose to pay a little more for the all-inclusive package which meant that they did all of the setup and take down for the reception. Definitely worth it. It is a beautiful space and the reception turned out better than I could have imagined. Audrey was very quick to resond to any questions I had and was easy to work with. Due to weather, we weren't able to take any pictures outside on the day of the wedding so we did pictures on the second floor of The Cheney Place and they turned out wonderful!

Sent on 04/24/2014

Absolutely wonderful place. They truly take care of you and have everything available for the perfect wedding reception. Couldn't have been happier with the venue!

Sent on 10/24/2013

We choose The Cheney Place for many reasons: it's unique, factory meets modern look, convenient location, free parking, being able to choose whatever vendors we wanted, and having flexibility to make our reception really tailored to us.
    It was great to work with their staff, everyone was very helpful and understanding, giving ideas and suggestions as needed. We had some hick-ups at the beginning, since they are still a newer venue and working out there pricing and policies. Once we talked with the owner about our concerns things went smoothly.
    ADVICE: Read contracts carefully and watch for vendors trying to make changes after the fact!
    The space itself is amazing and we had so many complements on it. The old factory windows let in gorgeous sunset lighting adding to the event atmosphere. They've done a great job mixing in new, modern design elements in with the old charms of the original factory building. The space is huge and flexible, so you can arrange tables and seating as needed to maximize the space and help control the follow of guests/event.
    I would recommend The Cheney Place to couples looking for something unique and modern. It can be dressed up or dressed down to fit your style.

Sent on 05/27/2014

Cheryl · Married on 12/22/2017

3.5

Absolutely loved our experience with The Cheney Place. Our daughter' wedding was all she could imagine and more! The helpful staff and especially Aubree were terrific! We had many of our own design elements we wanted to incorporate and they were very thoughtful in helping and also very hands on to bring it to fruition. The list of catering companies helped us get on our way and Adeline Leigh's extensive menu was perfect. Thank you all for making this Jhenna and Jakes day so special!
    Sincerely, Cheryl Challah

Sent on 01/14/2018

Seth · Married on 07/31/2016

3.0

I am very grateful for the service the staff at TCP provided. My wife and I chose TCP primarily because of its location (our ceremony was in a nearby park). But what made it an especially enjoyable experience was the staff's flexibility, helpfulness and calm demeanor. One of our goals was to have as close to a "zero waste" wedding as possible, meaning avoiding as much landfill waste as possible, and instead utilize recycling and composting as much as possible. Between TCP and our caterers (shout out to Kangaroo Kitchen and Catering in Grand Rapids), we were able to do this pretty successfully and easily.

TCP is expensive, and if we were to do this all over again, we probably would not have our reception at TCP. This isn't because of any fault in their services or space; we simply spent more on the entire wedding than we would have liked... Many thanks TCP!

Sent on 08/04/2016

1.0
      3.0

It is a beautiful place to have a wedding. The venue is big with lots of character.
    I struggled with the fact I talked to a different person every time. There was confusion on some of the details.

Sent on 07/17/2014