The Chef's Table Reviews

53 | Marshfield, MA

53 Reviews for The Chef's Table

4.2

The entire experience with Lauren and the rest of the staff was really pleasant. From the tasting to the cutting of the cake at the wedding she was just great. She had helpful ideas. Food was yummy.

Sent on 12/13/2014

1.0

The chefs table catered our wedding the food was outstanding and we received many compliments on our menu selection, we went with the short ribs and the Statler chicken . Day of they all really hustled and worked well and didn't come to me at all asking any questions , which was nice. The thing is I went with this company because on their website it states how they plan and help you plan your event with you, our venue does not offer this service and we needed the help,this was absolutely not the case . They did not help me in planning my wedding at all and rarely responded to any emails or phone calls whatsoever, that was a huge disappointment and caused my fiancé and I stress and A LOT of work, chefs table should not advertise that they help you plan your event they do not, but day of they did a great job making things run smooth and the food was excellent .

Sent on 10/26/2015

Katherine · Married on 06/03/2017

2.5
      1.0
      2.5

I was excited to work with Chef's Table for my wedding since they were based out of Marshfield (where the wedding was), got excellent reviews, and had a reputation of being very professional from other wedding vendors in the area. Unfortunately, they were extremely difficult to work with so we ended up eating the deposit and selecting another caterer, who turned out to be amazing and demonstrated how inflexible and expensive Chef's Table was in comparison.

The first issue was scheduling a tasting - they weren't able to squeeze me in during the month that I was still working in the area, so I had to make a 4 hour trip (during week day working hours only of course) from Vermont months later. Most of the food was pretty good, but it wasn't at all the menu we'd been discussing for months. They served us chicken and mashed potatoes when we were expecting the New England station with lobster rolls and clam chowder. Most of the apps were actually what we discussed, but when all 4 of us gave the same feedback that the crab cake's seasoning was off, they replied with "well that's just how it is."

The "event manager" that I'd been emailing back and forth with wasn't there for the tasting to hear our feedback or discuss event details. We didn't want to complain to the chef and other staff because it wasn't their fault they weren't properly informed about our menu. When I brought up in email afterwards that I was confused about why we never tasted our discussed dinner & dessert, she was unapologetic. Rather than offering another tasting or refunding our $200, she tried to shift the blame to me by saying I didn't respond to an email, when in fact, she was the unresponsive one! This was just the last in a long string of issues.

We ended up saving ~$7,000 by switching to a new caterer, who worked with us to create the exact menu we wanted, came to our house at a time we chose for our tasting, and helped with so many aspects like site design.

Sent on 08/12/2017

The Chef's Table's reply:

From your reviews, it sounds as if you found the perfect vendors to execute your dream day. However, it is important to point out a few facts that have been overlooked since your tasting. 1). No deposit was lost when you asked to cancel. At that point, you had only paid the tasting fee ($50/pp with a credit for 2 people towards final invoice). You sent an email saying you were mailing the deposit. The next day you said you were putting a stop on the check as you had concerns and had other caterers able to meet your budget. We replied wishing you all the best with your wedding. 2.)We received your first email on Aug 7 asking for a tasting. We replied on the 8th with several dates in Aug, incl. a Sat. Unfortunately, we were not able to do the Sat after your email as our priority is always to clients who have booked with us in advance and deserve our full attention on their event day. In October, the date you requested was one your EP had already committed to being at an event. I (one of the owners) was happy to jump in. The first proposal included a raw bar, apps and 3 stations (including lobster) based on your requests. You replied asking for options to stay within a “student budget”. We did another version and followed up with you several times before your tasting. When we sent an email four days before the tasting saying we had not heard from you and were assuming that you had made other plans, you responded confirming you would be there. At no point did you say you did not like the buffet or wanted to go back to the stations.
    3.) We were firm with 3 bartenders because our insurance does not allow guests self -serve any alcohol. We had explained this via email/in person and said we would consider 2 bartenders once you had a better sense of layout & guest count. It appeared that there were missing emails on both sides. You felt as if we did not address some of your questions and we felt as if several of our proposals/emails were never acknowledged.