Historic Cavalier Hotel and beach club Reviews

26 Reviews for Historic Cavalier Hotel and beach club

1 User photo

• Erin

Erin · Married on 10/04/2019

What an amazing experience!!

Oh, how I love the Cavalier Hotel, and having a wedding there did not disappoint. I find that sometimes places that are beautiful and seemingly high-class rest on their laurels too much and have lacking customer service, but this is NOT the case at the Cavalier. From the moment we contacted them about getting a venue tour for a wedding up to our actual wedding day, we had the most kind, professional, and helpful crew of people that made my husband and I feel wonderful, understood, and ecstatic about our wedding. I cannot speak any higher of them, and would recommend a wedding at the Cavalier to anyone. Joslyn was our main point of contact and she is an absolute gem to work with. Now that the wedding is over, I am actually sad we won't be working with her anymore! The Cavalier catering and entire banquet team also deserve the highest accolades. My husband and I wanted a vegan wedding menu, and when we asked if they could do this, we didn't get a flinch but an enthusiastic yes! Emily our head chef said she was new to vegan cuisine, but man did she knock it out of the park. Our non-vegan guests were raving about the food all night and they still do. I am forever thankful for this. I also want to mention that the bartender was such an amazing, kind, helpful, professional, and talented gentleman who impressed all of our guests. Plus, our menu tasting day was done so beautifully that it was one of my favorite moments I've had with my now husband of my life!

One minor thing that I would feel remiss in not mentioning (that, BTW, has nothing to do with the Cavalier itself), was that one of the residences around where we got married in the Sunken Garden started playing music incredibly loud during our ceremony. From what I gather, the person who was playing the music had no idea there was a wedding going on. The Cavalier resolved it quickly and the rest of the ceremony was absolutely beautiful. I'm not sure if the Cavalier has put in place any sort of "heads up" before a wedding or event to the residences around it since our wedding, but that would help a lot! I just wanted to let future brides know that this happened to us and hopefully it will never happen again! Still, absolutely NO regrets of our venue, and I highly recommend this place to anyone. Photo Credit @angelaelisephotography

Sent on 01/05/2020

Sharon · Married on 06/07/2013

My daughter's wedding was located at the Cavalier on the hill in the ballroom. Diana was great and easy to work with. If we ever had a problem she was there to help us thru it. The Cavalier is loaded with history and that makes for a great time.

Thank You Diana.....

Sent on 08/07/2013

Blake · Married on 05/04/2013

My husband and I had our reception at the Cavalier Oceanfront in Orion's Roof. We had an absolutely exceptional experience with Diana, the coordinator at the Cavalier, and all of her staff. Diana was available at all times to answer questions, soothe nerves, and to help make our day the best day ever. We met with her formally twice, and we talked to her about once or twice a week as the wedding grew closer - intense, I know, especially since she had my father, mother, and I calling at all different times. Diana worked with our price points, and she didn't make us feel crazy for being on a budget or not wanting to spend over a certain amount of money. Diana was graceful, poised, and relaxed - and she helped my family and I relax and truly enjoy the time as well.

Orion's Roof, on the top floor of the Cavalier Oceanfront, is amazing. The view from Orion's Roof is phenomenal - I cried the first three times I visited it. Three sides of the room are floor to ceiling windows. It was a lovely, lovely setting for our beach themed wedding. The food was incredible the night of the reception. Diana saved plates of food for my husband and me to eat later - which we did, and we were so grateful. The staff was incredibly accommodating, and they were super friendly, even bringing us drinks and a plate of appetizers from the cocktail hour when we first got there. Another bonus was that Diana's staff lit all of the candles in our centerpieces so we didn't have to worry about assigning someone to that task.

Our guests were able to book rooms at great rates in order to stay for the weekend. Ryan, the front desk/reservations manager, was accommodating and friendly. The room my husband and I stayed in was lovely, and we had a beautiful view of the sunrise the morning after the wedding.

Without a doubt, you absolutely MUST book your reception at the Cavalier Oceanfront. You will not be disappointed.

Sent on 05/21/2013

The Cavalier On the Hill was a tremendous and wonderful place to get married and have a reception. We were very pleasantly surprised to find that we could afford to have the wedding there, thinking initially that it would be out of our price range. But we found one of the rooms, the Pocahontas Room, to work very well for that. We had several visits to the venue and a menu tasting, and Diana Pollock, the event/catering manager was especially accommodating and very friendly and customer oriented. There were numerous changes up to the wedding, menu choices, number of actual meals, etc, and the venue and Diana made it very easy to get everything done. We did have a wedding coordinator, CMT event planning, that was very familiar with working with Diana and the Cavalier so that helped a lot. The food was excellent, wonderfully plated and tasted fantastic - everyone was pleased with their meals. There are some restrictions at the Cavalier for small things like no bubbles at the reception, etc, for obvious reasons and we managed to work with all of their idiosyncrasies - not too painful. Bottomline, it was beautiful, and the venue made it all happen as they said they would. It was a great experience and I can't wait to see the photos to see how the place looked that day!

Sent on 06/02/2013

Kathi · Married on 04/02/2011

It's a month after the wedding and we are still marveling at how perfect everything was! We love, love, love the Cavalier and the wonderful staff there!

We could not have asked for a more wonderful location! Every detail in every space evoked exactly the mood we were looking for--elegance, romance, history and an experience that would be out of the ordinary. It was so great to have the wedding and the reception in one location and everything really flowed from one space to the next as we moved from the wedding on the porch to cocktail hour in the Raleigh Room and finally to the reception in the Pocahontas Room. It was just so beautiful. I was surprised at the number of local guests who had never been to the Cavalier before. Why, why, why are you not the number one wedding venue in Virginia Beach?? I think you should be!

Your staff was so wonderful to work with. They worked hard to accommodate every request. As the number of people attending the wedding grew and grew as the date approached, Diana made the necessary adjustments to make sure everyone would have a table to sit at! Diana spent numerous hours with us as we walked around the various spaces and got a real feel for the place. She also uncomplainingly spent more than three hours with us during the bridal shoot just prior to the wedding, which was certainly above and beyond what we were expecting. Tino, you provided one of the key elements of the wedding when you set me up with Julie Morgan from As You Wish Weddings and Events. She was an absolute dream to work with and it really helped that she was so familiar with the location.

The food provided by your catering staff was delicious and beautiful to look at. The displays during cocktail hour in the Raleigh Room were truly impressive and the staff seamlessly kept everything refilled, used plates and glasses cleared and just generally made sure that everyone had plenty to eat and drink. During dinner, the staff moved quickly to get everything to the tables piping hot and managed to be both unobtrusive and on-the-spot when refills were needed. Special kudos to the gentleman who ran the chocolate fountain and was so kind to the younger guests at the wedding. They thought it was a truly magical event!

I really can't say enough good things about our event at the Cavalier! Thank you so much for making all of our dreams a reality.

Sent on 05/05/2011

Lindsay · Married on 02/06/2010

Outstanding venue. Timeless in beauty. Would highly recommend this venue for any bride's ceremony and reception!

Sent on 05/27/2010
  • F

Dyan · Married on 09/26/2009

I could not have imagined a more perfect wedding! (Well, ok, there were a few snafus. ; ) ) The Cavalier was absolutely beautiful the night of my wedding! We rented the Raleigh room for the cocktail hour, and with the breeze blowing in and my brother-in-law playing on the piano, it was so nice. The ballroom looked fabulous. I highly suggest hiring a lighting company (I used Blue Steel Lighting, and they were great!) to do pinspotting on each of the tables, the cake, and the candy bar if you have one. I think the special lighting really enhanced the charming, elegant ambience. With the pinspotting an the Cavalier's gorgeous chandelier, the ballroom looked amazing. Many of my guests said that it was the best, most beautiful wedding they have ever been to!

Sent on 11/15/2009
  • Alyssa

Alyssa · Married on 06/20/2009

Everything I wanted and more! Beautiful site and great food! I got many compliments on choosing The Cavalier.

Sent on 07/01/2009

Cavalier was great. The view for our reception was amazing.

Sent on 08/02/2013

Nicki · Married on 06/03/2012

I had the best wedding at The Cavalier Hotel! My ceremony was on the lawn above the "Cavalier" on the grass---we used the tree as our backdrop. My reception was in Orions on the 11th floor. The view was incredible---there was a storm coming in and we watched lightning dance on the water...magical. Diana and her staff did an amazing job and the food was wonderful. I highly recommend this venue to anyone who wants an unforgettable wedding! Thank you, thank you, Cavalier!

Sent on 09/04/2012

Megan · Married on 05/04/2012

Diane was amazing with working with my Mom and I through my whole wedding planning process, always there for us and all our questions! LOVED IT!! ORIONS ROOF AMAZING VENUE!!!

Sent on 10/30/2012

Heidi · Married on 05/17/2009

Everyone at the Cavalier did an outstanding the job, the food and service were exceptional and Rick, the catering manager, went out of his way to make me feel special and to provide planning help. They were more than accommodating when we had to move our ceremony indoors because of rain.

Sent on 05/23/2009

s · Married on 05/20/2012

The venue is beautiful. The wedding was held in the Pochantas Room, which is surrounded by a wrap around sun room, and an outdoor porch.

It rained on the wedding day, so we had to re-group and move inside, but the people at the Cavalier were great, they offered up a wonderful alternative, swung into action to help us re-group and went out of their way to accommodate us. Also, because of all the light and the enclosed porches, it didn't even feel like we had to move inside. It was wonderful.

Also, the venue is so pretty, that it required very little dressing up, which saved a bundle on flowers and decorations. Food was god, people were nice, I can't say enough good things about the place.

Sent on 06/04/2012
  • I

Amy · Married on 09/20/2008

The Cavalier was the only spot I ever dreamed about having our reception and I knew it would be great. All of our guests loved the food, service and venue. Not much decorations were needed because it is gorgeous inside the Grand Ball Room anyways. With the money we saved on decorations we could put back into the food and alcohol. Rick was great and walked us through every step of the way. Great picture opportunites as well. Definately recommend this spot.

Sent on 10/07/2008

trisha · Married on 06/02/2012

The Cavalier was an awesome venue to use. It was so convenient for all of my guest staying at the hotel. The food was amazing and the service was wonderful. Diana was very easy to work with. She was so helpful to all of my needs and worked with Julie Morgan for every detail to make sure my wedding was amazing.

Sent on 06/21/2012

Mary Blair · Married on 06/05/2010

We loved everything about the Cavalier on the Hill. Our wedding reception was amazing, Rick made sure we had everything we could possibly want and was so easy to work with. The food, the day, the venue, the room, nothing could have been better.

Sent on 06/22/2010

Dianne · Married on 06/28/2008

Sent on 07/29/2008

Maggie · Married on 04/27/2008

Staff was very helpful and flexible throughout the whole planning process including a change in employed officers. Took some time to work out the details (expected) but being able to do so via email helped greatly. The event was beautiful beyond our expectations - food was exceptional, and event spaces were just perfect and required very, very little additional decor!

Sent on 08/19/2008

Liz · Married on 05/19/2012

The food was amazing, the room the reception was in was beautiful (including the lobby going into it), and working with Diana P. was a wonderful experience. She is so willing to listen to what you want and does her best to make it happen on top of being one of the sweetest people ever. The only negative was that some guests said their rooms were not quite worth the price. Myself and the groom, however, loved the honeymoon suite that was included in our package.

Sent on 06/26/2012

Kristin · Married on 05/12/2012

Growing up in Virginia Beach/Norfolk I passed the Cavalier Hotel on a regular basis. After attending a friend's wedding reception at the old Cavalier on the hill in 2009, I was able to see the inside and get an idea of what the setting was like. We worked with Diana to see the different spaces available and ended up deciding on the Grand Ballroom (I believe that's what it's called?). The time of year was nice because the old hotel does not open for guests until after Memorial Day, so we didn't have guests coming in and out or poking their heads into our reception. I did find communication a little hard as it took a little longer than I would expect to get response on some things. The tasting was great and the food was great, but at the reception what we got for dinner (we had a sit down, not stations/buffet) was not exactly what we had ordered on the contract. It was still good, but it was a little disappointing because I was really looking forward to the chicken dish I had picked out. Prior to being announced into the reception we were kept in a nice sized room downstairs. We were also HIGHLY disappointed that we only got cheese and crackers and one bottle of white and red wine instead of the tray of appetizers that we had picked out as we were told we would get. When we saw they were not there we asked for them, but still never got them. The space was nice and there was plenty of room for our guests and the dance floor, but it got hot very quickly. I asked a few times for the AC to be turned up to cool the place off, but it never happened (at least it didn't feel like it). I was a sweaty mess by the end of the night.

Sent on 03/04/2013

Caity · Married on 07/11/2009

We would definitely recommend The Cavalier to anyone interested in getting married right on the ocean. The service was excellent. The food was wonderful and everyone commented on how much they enjoyed going to the Cavalier.

Sent on 07/26/2009

Tammy · Married on 04/21/2007

4.2
      3.5

We had Wonderful food!! We ordered the surf and turf for everyone and I was very impressed! The hall looked beautiful, I was slightly dissappointed with the place for the ceremony, but i may have had too many people for the spot that we chose.

Sent on 07/18/2008

Jessica · Married on 10/12/2013

3.8
      3.0

I'll start by saying that Diana was amazing throughout the whole process. She was great at answering questions and was available practically 24/7. She was fantastic.

As far as the wedding goes, it was an amazing night. All of my guests said it was one of the best weddings they've ever attended. We had our ceremony in the Raleigh Porch, cocktail hour in the Raleigh Lounge, and reception in the Grand Ballroom. All 3 rooms looked great. There are a few places that are in need to repair but once this place is "all dolled up", you won't even notice them.

Food: They all raved about the cocktail hour food. However, we (me, groom, & bridal party) were supposed to have some appetizers held back while we waited to go into the reception. This never happened. Dinner was just "ok". The chicken was the same dish but prepared totally different than the one at our tasting. The steak was kind of bland. However, I almost expect that when food is cooked in bulk. Also, according to Diana they were short-staffed in the kitchen. Also, everyone who ordered the vegetarian dish received their food so late that everyone else was already finished eating. We were also supposed to have our meals boxed if we didn't finish them (I only ate 2 bites) but they were cleared from our table and never seen again.

Drinks/bar: the bartender was great. She definitely wasn't stingy on the alcohol, which I appreciate considering what you pay for them. However, I specifically stated that I wanted the "premium" liqour and "top-shelf" was served. While I'm sure my guests appreciated this, it made the bar run out a lot faster. I put down a certain amount of money based on the premium liqour prices and it was supposed to last a certain amount of time,well that amount obviously didn't go very far since they used top-shelf.

Overall, the wedding was great, just a few hiccups. This is such a beautiful wedding venue and I hope that the new owner revives the place and makes it as grand as it used to be.

Sent on 10/22/2013
  • User2043221 · 2+ years ago

3.4
      3.0

We had our ceremony and reception at the cavalier and while we thoroughly enjoyed our wedding day we were not as thrilled with the venue. For a historic venue on the ocean front, this place rocks. All of the rooms are gorgeous and ooze southern charm.Diana is easy to work with and serves as an excellent resource but the rest of the staff falls short. We had to constantly check in to make sure they received our paperwork and payments with often lengthy waits in between conversations. This place would be lost without Diana! We eventually just addressed everything to her.
    When we arrived to the rehearsal we noticed that the lawn was littered with trash, plates and silverware and my bridal party took the task to clean it up. Note to future brides: be sure to ask about ALL of the "lawns" you can rent for your ceremony.Make sure they tell you other locations nearby that are rentable, otherwise you could be 15yds away from another bride.We thought the pricing on our room block was excellent, but upon arrival we started having second thoughts.The hotel itself is dated and the staff does not pay you much attention.Once you leave the lobby there is a funny smell and every time I walked in the elevator there was trash.My mom finally had enough and started to pick it up herself because we were both embarrassed that our guests had to deal with it. She cleaned out one elevator just to come back an hour later to more trash..Do they not have a cleaning staff?As far as the menu went, it was basic wedding food. Everyone told me that the chef creates one of a kind meals but this was just okay. The bride and groom traditionally eat first, as we did, and our food was cold. We were promised a to go plate for our hotel room, that didn't happen and our cake topper looked like someone sat on it.
    All in all, we loved our wedding and Diana was a pleasure to work with. We could have done without the little headaches in between.

Sent on 05/06/2013

Ashley · Married on 05/12/2012

2.0
      1.5
      1.5

Where do I even start...my husband and I had both our ceremony and reception at the Cavalier. Our ceremony was in the Old Cavalier on the Hill in one of the porches. We were the only wedding/event in that room all weekend. We chose to do ceremony sand instead of a unity candle. When we went to retrieve our sand, we were told it was "misplaced". I called, emailed, and personally went up there in search for our sand with no luck. How does a venue "misplace" something like this? We only have pictures of the ceremony and nothing from our actual ceremony and that was the one special thing we wanted out of the ceremony.

THEN....we go to the reception...the bartenders were absolutely rude to our guests. We originally wanted call brand liquor, but my parents wanted to upgrade to premium. My parents paid for premium but at the wedding we were served call brand. We had an open bar, and coming from someone who works at a bar, you can't screw over industry people. The bartenders were triple pouring...to the point where the drinks were not drinkable. We were told no shots were allowed to be given out due to liability issues and ABC laws. The bartenders were handing out shots left and right and even gave some of our guests an open bottle of Jim Beam to do what they please with it. We also had a beer list we requested and paid for, and Bud Light was on that list. My mom went to the bar to get a Bud Light and they told her that it was for the groom's family only! My mom was absolutely livid!! They paid for the wedding!!! At the end of the night, we were told we were to get two plates of food and the cake topper sent to our room. We never got any food because as they told us, they "forgot", and our cake topper looked as if it was dropped en route to our honeymoon suite! All they sent to our room was a warm half eaten cheese plate. After the ceremony, one of the bartenders went to the bar we all went to and started a fight with some of our guests!! DO NOT book this venue!!

Sent on 08/21/2012