The Carolina Inn Reviews

96 | Chapel Hill, NC

96 Reviews for The Carolina Inn

Kelly · Married on 04/07/2012

We absolutely loved having our wedding at the Carolina Inn! They were amazing to work with in planning the wedding. They pulled off a flawless day, and all our guests thought everything was just perfect. They are considered expensive, but you get what you pay for. Their attention to detail and responsiveness to special requests is unparalleled. We worked mainly with Heidi, who is fantastic.

Sent on 07/02/2012

Working with Devon Schwartz and The Carolina Inn was truly incredible. What a phenomenal experience from beginning to end. The Inn is not just incredibly beautiful and the perfect place for any wedding, but the food and hospitality are truly excellent. You just can't go wrong by choosing this vendor. Everyone here will do whatever they can to make your wedding day everything you dreamed it to be!

Sent on 04/20/2012

Mellie · Married on 03/17/2012

Honestly, in my wildest dreams I didn't know a wedding could be so beautiful and fun. The staff just did everything exactly as we wanted it and no one was ever in the way. It was like having invisible elves carrying out your every wish. Our guests couldn't say enough about how wonderful every last detail was- the food was unbelievably delicious and everything was set up just as I requested. It was honestly like I was still envisioning it, only it actually happened... too fast! We were ALL sad to leave. Such a perfect weekend.

Sent on 03/29/2012
  • My

My · Married on 11/11/2011

I love Carolina Inn! It was my dream to have my wedding there and they did everything they can to make that a reality.

When you have your wedding at the Carolina Inn, everything from A-Z will be taken care of. You just have to show up and enjoy your wedding.

The only con is packing. There was two others wedding beside mine so a lot of my guests has to find an alternate parking arrangement.

Sent on 12/06/2011

Liz · Married on 05/28/2011

We had our ceremony outdoors in the Bryan Courtyard and our reception in the Hill Ballroom of The Carolina Inn. We loved everything about the venue! We looked at dozens of venues online and went in person to at least 10 different venues, both around the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area as well as in the Asheville area. We are so glad we ended up going with The Carolina Inn and would highly recommend it to other couples planning their wedding. It is such a beautiful location, and the service can not be beat.

Sent on 06/16/2011

Paige · Married on 03/20/2011

The Carolina Inn is known for being a popular wedding spot, well now I know why. First, the hotel and grounds are gorgeous. You will have no trouble getting beautiful photos and video here. Second, the staff and event planners are wonderful to work with. Every single detail was taken care of and I didn’t have to worry about a thing. I planned my wedding by myself, but felt like I had the benefit of having a wedding planner when working with Devon at the Inn. I enjoyed every experience, from the menu tasting, January wedding show, and details meeting, to the entire wedding weekend. My ceremony was held in the Bryan Courtyard and it was a romantic, intimate setting. The reception was in the Old Well Room, which is a gorgeous, elegant room. You will get a lot of value at the Inn, but it can be pricey during peak season and Saturdays. By having my wedding on a Sunday, I found the price very reasonable and I can’t compliment the Inn enough on its customer service, attention to detail, beautiful accommodations and delicious food.

Sent on 04/12/2011
  • User1120249 · 2+ years ago

The Carolina Inn facilitated the wedding of our dreams. In the beginning, we had serious problems with responsiveness, but the woman we had trouble reaching left the Inn a couple months before our wedding. We worked with Heidi, who was wonderful, although I understand that while Heidi is still there, she does not directly oversee weddings.

The Carolina Inn is expensive, but we found it a much less expensive than other, comparable venues, and we definitely did not feel nickled and dimed, as I'd feared with other places. The prices were all clear in the brochures, and there were no surprise add ons.

Our guests adored the Inn, which was decorated for the holidays beautifully, as always. The honeymoon suite was to die for. We had many requests for coordination, including piano delivery, programs on seats, and so on, and everything was executed perfectly.

I owe Heidi a note for the wonderful work she did.

Sent on 04/15/2011

Gail A. · Married on 07/10/2010

The Carolina Inn was so beautiful, the staff was so kind and professional....I couldn't imagine anywhere else we'd want to celebrate. I highly recommend this place, and it was fun too! The staff makes everyone feel like we're family. They are highly in tuned to your needs and responsive. We loved the Carolina Inn and are so happy we picked this venue!!! Thank You!!

Some pics of the Bryan Courtyard & Reception room, Old Well Ballroom

Sent on 08/03/2010

Brenna · Married on 04/17/2010

We had our wedding reception in the evening in the Old Well Room. The staff the night of the event was extremely helpful. Things seemed to move along so quickly and effortlessly. There was one miscommunication between the coordinator at the Inn and the banquet captain, which was resolved very quickly. The planning process was also great. We worked with both Ashleigh and Julie at various parts of the planning and they were both excellent to work with. I highly recommend the Carolina Inn.

Sent on 05/04/2010

Mica · Married on 03/27/2010

I was just smitten with the Carolina Inn the first time I ever saw it. It is a beautiful place and is great for a formal classic wedding. Parking is a little tough as it is right in the middle of campus, but there is parking on site. Staff was helpful and my pictures turned out great with this venue as the backdrop.

Sent on 05/31/2010

Jenica · Married on 07/05/2008

The Carolina Inn was the absolute perfect spot to have our wedding reception! We worked with a wonderful catering manager who bent over backwards to make us feel welcome and well served. The planning was easy - they did so much of the work for us - and they were willing to change every detail that we wanted to personalize. On the day of the ceremony, they greeted us when we arrived from the church with champagne and hors d'eurves and gave us a private sitting room in which to relax while our guests finished cocktail hour. It was magnificent!

Sent on 08/06/2008

Monique · Married on 05/21/2006

They were awesome. Just wonderful.

Sent on 10/11/2008

Leah · Married on 04/23/2005

The Carolina Inn exceeded my expectations. They were extremely flexible throughout the whole process and ensured that I received the value that we paid for on our special day.

Sent on 07/27/2008

Maria · Married on 07/29/2017

The Carolina Inn went above and beyond from the beginning of the process to the very end. From creating a custom package to accommodate both our budget and our rather overwhelmingly large guest count to inviting us to the Carolina Inn showcase in January, to a remarkable tasting in April, and finally the day of service on our wedding day... we couldn't have dreamed up better!

There are so many pretty places in the Inn too! We did our first look in the courtyard (bright and stunning), golden hour portraits in front of the Inn (breathtaking), and finally some bridal shots/bride and groom shots on the iconic black and white hallway inside (seriously gorgeous). Staying in a Carolina Inn room at the end of the night was the best way to end a dream of a wedding day. Those beds are clouds.

We couldn't have been happier with the service that the Carolina Inn provided, together with La Fete event planning. I give them my highest recommendation.

Sent on 09/05/2017

Carolina Inn was the perfect wedding location for my husband and me. We are both from Chapel Hill, so it was really the only option we considered. The Inn itself is beautiful and our guests absolutely loved it. The courtyard for the ceremony provided a lovely backdrop. The Old Well Room was amazing and beautifully decorated by the top-notch staff. Everyone we worked with at the Carolina Inn was professional and responsive and helped make our day perfect. It's a tad pricey but you get what you pay for and it was well worth it for us!

Sent on 09/24/2015

Catherine · Married on 06/01/2008

I am so glad I got married at the Carolina Inn. It's very clear they know what they're doing. I worked with Jennifer Davis, who was cheerful and very responsible. She answered any questions I had within a day or two(and I probably had 4000 questions over the year of planning) and alleviated everyone's stresses. She was organized and timely, and had an answer ready whenever I wasn't sure of what I wanted.
    Plus, the space was just beautiful--my florist bill was substantially lower because the decor at the Inn is already so stunning. We got married in the Bryan Courtyard, which seats about 150, and then walked down the hall to the Old Well Room, where we had a gorgeous dance floor with chandeliers, a smaller room with a bar, and another room for quieter talking. They provide catering and the bar, and the food was really delicious, especially the shrimp and grits, the little lamp chops, and the flatbread with portabello and goat cheese.

Sent on 06/24/2008
  • I

India · Married on 07/27/2019

Lovely venue with tons of wedding experience

We're so happy we went with the Carolina Inn for our wedding. Now that everything's over, we can't imagine pulling it off without their expertise and guidance. First, a week-of wedding coordinator comes with the package they offer, which is really not to be overestimated. We actually met with our planner a few times before the week of, and she answered countless questions by email and phone. (We worked with Caroline from C&D events - see review). On the Carolina Inn side, we worked with Kayla, who was wonderful - she was easy to work with, very responsive, and had great communication with our wedding coordinator, so a lot of things were simply taken out of our hands.
    On the day of, everything ran really smoothly. If there were minor roadblocks (which I'm sure there were, as there are with any major event), they were handled so smoothly that we weren't really aware of them. Kayla and the staff also really paid attention to detail: someone brought us food, cake and champagne was brought up to our room, etc. My dad (and other guests) kept commenting on how smoothly everything ran and how well-organized the whole staff seemed. We felt really well taken care of and like everything was in very good hands, like we could just be guests at our own wedding, which was lovely.
    The food and drinks were also great. First, the food was exactly like what we had in the tasting (which is not always what you get with other catering companies - the Carolina Inn is clearly used to and capable of handling large orders). And it was delicious! We got lots of compliments from our guests. Another plus is that since there's a kitchen on-premises, they're able to handle dietary accommodations (like bringing out a couple of vegan meals). The drinks were also very good, the bartenders were really friendly and efficient as well: as far as we saw, there wasn't much waiting in line.
    We also loved that a lot of our guests stayed at the inn, so there was lots of running into each other and seeing friends and family in the days around the wedding. In short, we're so happy we went with the Carolina Inn!

N.B. I went back and forth about whether to include this, but the only issues we had with the Carolina Inn were with the hotel block reservations (which is a different department and shouldn't reflect on the individuals mentioned above). First, they were only available 9–5, so that was difficult for some of our guests who wanted to book over the phone, not online. Second, after I got the first room block list, I noticed that several rooms were missing (luckily I knew from family members that they had already booked so I could catch the mistake). The mistake was quickly remedied, but it made me paranoid about it happening again, especially because if the block wasn't filled we would be charged. There were a couple of other minor things, but my opinion was that for a room block that had a minimum to be filled and a financial penalty, they really should be 100% consistent in making sure that guests who requested a room from the block were included in the overall minimum (and it shouldn't be the couple's responsibility to be tracking down their guests hotel plans and double-checking that they were included in the block minimum).

Sent on 11/06/2019
  • O

Olivia · Married on 06/02/2013

What a wonderful place to have a wedding. The workers were fabulous, the food was beyond wonderful, we couldn't have asked for more!

Sent on 06/05/2013

Letitia · Married on 10/31/2009

I had my ceremony & reception at The Carolina Inn. Our ceremony was in Bryan Courtyard. We got married in October & the autumn leaves were at their peak. It was breath taking. Our reception was in The Old Well Room. The food was wonderful (I've been to weddings at great venues where the food was rather disappointing) & the service fantastic. I read a few of the other reviews on this site & was surprised at some of the complaints regarding the flexibility of the catering department. We were able to customize our entire menu & many of the changes were made last minute. Our contact was Julie McCay. She was friendly, accommodating & professional. We had some rather extreme changes occur last minute & she (along with Sally Herring) handled it all like Super Heros. She went above & beyond in accommodating all my last minute changes & requests. I was told by many guests that it was the most beautiful & elegant wedding they had ever been to. The only reason I did not give a full five stars was due to some mix ups regarding a few of our hotel rooms. But, the front desk took care of everything promptly & efficiently.

Sent on 11/15/2009

Christina · Married on 05/30/2009

As a UNC-CH student (on a budget) who has known about the infamous and fabulous Carolina Inn weddings, I was both excited and apprehensive when I booked the Old Well Ballroom for my Saturday afternoon wedding. I wanted to make sure that my wedding was given the same attention to detail and support as the other big-ticket weddings I knew would and have taken place there. There were 5 other weddings the weekend of mine, but you would have never guessed it. I was treated like a queen, and the catering manager (Julie) was ever-present and attentive. From the minute I booked the room to the minute I left, everything went smoothly and the issues that arose were taken care of quickly and in a very professional and caring manner. Everyone that came loved the food, atmosphere, and service. My guests were in love with our bartender, who although not english-speaking, was as nice and accommodating as could be. A perfect experience, and well worth every dime.

Sent on 06/12/2009

3.5

We loved working with the Carolina Inn. I attended UNC Chapel Hill and through out college went to functions at the Carolina Inn so I knew their events were always professional and well run. But WOW I loved being a Carolina Inn bride. They made the entire process easy, laid out my options clearly, and made me feel special the entire planning period. Their staff was attentive to everything I needed before and the day of the wedding. They catered the event and the food was amazing- beautiful and tasty. The service that night was all I could ask for. And the venue speaks for itself- little decoration was needed because the space was just so gorgeous.

Sent on 03/07/2017

3.5

The Carolina Inn was a beautiful location for our small, 20-person wedding. They offered a Petite Wedding package which was the perfect simple option for us. There were a few glitches in the contract originally sent to us, and some unclear parts of what was included in our package. The value of the package was incredible. However, on the day of our wedding, we felt that some elements of our ceremony were not made a priority as it was such a small group. A tent was being taken down on the other side of a brick wall during our ceremony which was extremely distracting. We also did not see our wedding planner for the entire day, except for a few minutes in the early morning.

Sent on 05/11/2015

Shannon · Married on 11/15/2014

The Carolina Inn is truly a wedding venue jewel! I could not have asked for a better location for our wedding ceremony and venue. Everything was exquisite. Melissa was awesome! She worked with me throughout the whole experience and was truly professional. I planned my wedding from long distance living overseas so it made for a challenge but Melissa was more than accommodating with being flexible with correspondence. There were a few communication issues but that is to be expected when communicating mostly by email and with multiple time zone changes. The only issue I had was with the room reservation department's responsiveness and total miscommunication that had to be resolved going through Melissa a couple of times. Charmain in the reservation department was never in her office when I called at 9 am to 5 pm EST which made a lot of issues and more trouble than necessary with room reservations for only 10 rooms. That was really the only area of disappointment. The concierge and other staff at the Inn were amazing and very accommodating especially since there our wedding was on the same day of the UNC Homecoming game. No unwanted visitors made their way into our ceremony or reception. The homecoming atmosphere actually helped to make the day be like a big celebration. There was so much positive energy in the air. Also, the food was excellent the night of the reception. I would highly recommend the Carolina Inn for your wedding or event. Kudos to you Melissa! You rocked! Thank you for everything!

Sent on 01/09/2015

Julie · Married on 05/15/2010

We were married May 2010 and had our reception (along with a cocktail party on the lawn Friday evening) at the Carolina Inn.

Ashleigh Collins was our catering manager. She was such a pleasure to work with, always professional and probably the most hardworking person I have seen in a long time. I was constantly asking her things from up here in New Jersey and she was always patient, never seemed to tire of my list of questions. I cannot imagine doing what she does!

The food was FANTASTIC....Jimmy Reale is amazing and took care of us and our guests the entire weekend. A true gem!!! I would eat there any day, any time.

My only small issue with The Carolina Inn was our room situation. We were told from the start we could reserve 80-100 rooms and this was never the case. Sure it was a big weekend in Chapel Hill...but we told the Carolina Inn from the get-go that we needed 80 to 100 rooms and this never occurred.

It all worked out in the end, and the entire staff is SO attentive. No complaints about that! Our guests loved it. But the "not knowing" if our guests would all have rooms was a big deal to us.

Sent on 07/07/2010

Stephanie · Married on 06/12/2016

3.5

We booked a block of rooms at the Carolina Inn for friends and family on the night of our wedding. I also used one of the larger suites to get ready. It was a beautiful room and a great setting for photos of everyone getting all dolled up.

Sent on 12/12/2016