The cakemaker Reviews

The cakemaker 2
The cakemaker 3

Brittnee Stone · Married on 12/29/2018

Beautiful and Delcious

Bala made our wedding cake. Delicious is an understatement. We met with him several months prior to our wedding for a cake tasting. Everything we had was so great, it was hard to make a decision. We decided on a half naked frosted lemon cake with mixed berry filling. We had over 180 guests, so we went with a 3 tier cake for display and sheet cakes for the rest. During our cake cutting my husband and I didn’t want to stop eating it because it was just too good to stop at one bite. We had a whole sheet cake left over, so we had a slice before going on our honeymoon shortly after. It was just as delicious. I’m already counting down the days until our anniversary so we can indulge in this cake again! Bala is an excellent communicator. He responds in a timely manner. Calls to confirm appointments and guest count. If you’re shopping around for a wedding cake be sure to check Bala out--he’s great!

The cakemaker 4
  • Valerie

Valerie · Married on 09/01/2018

Thrilled with cake

Incredibly talented, unique tasty cakes, pleasure to work with Bala! Went off without a hitch. Thank you for your beautiful work!

The cakemaker 5

Susan · Married on 11/18/2017

Gorgeous and absolutely delicious cakes!

Hart · Married on 10/26/2017

Bala is absolutely amazing. He is so easy to work with, and the cake he made for our wedding was fantastic. He arranged a lovely tasting for us and took the time to understand what we were looking for. Day of, he arrived right on time and set up the cake on the stand we had and decorated it with the flowers we had purchased to match all the other flowers. He was quick and efficient! The cake was beautiful, and tasted even better than it looked. We have been enjoying the leftovers too! The cake freezes so well. I highly recommend Bala!!!

The cakemaker 6

Craig · Married on 08/12/2017

Bala is an amazing cakemaker! My fiancé and I selected Bala to make our three tiered wedding cake for our Aug 2017 wedding after tasting cakes from several bay area bakers. Bala has been in the cake business for a very long time now, and is a seasoned professional. The cake making process starts when you meet Bala in his nondescript Hayes Valley kitchen. He will pull out slices of delectable cake flavors and fillings for you to taste, which are light but extremely flavorful. Then, he will pull out one of many books with pictures of his cakes, and he will watch you to see what catches your eye. Together, you will sketch out the cake of your dreams, and it will appear without any fuss or issue on your wedding day. Our guests loved how he used white chocolate instead of fondant as the frosting, and many a guest went back to the kitchen to ask for second (and third) slices of cake!

Bala is extremely popular, so we did book his services nearly nine months in advance for an August wedding. We had no issues communicating with him to square away details as little details came up ("uh, how big is the top layer again, and can it fit a 4" cake topper?") and he was a pleasure to work with. If you want a cake that tastes as great as it looks, Bala is definitely for you.

Karron · Married on 06/24/2017

We had a lot of cake tastings. We were a little burnt out and not hopeful that we'd find the right baker. When we got to Bala's cake tasting we could actually SEE how moist the cake was before ever touching it. The tasting went smoothly and we were able to make our decision very easily. I chose the favor full lemon poppyseed with cream cheese filling and my hubby-to-be chose the dreamy chocolate with chocolate mouse filling. Marvelous! I'm not a fondant fan at all. But Bala makes a blanket of creamy white chocolate fondant that's very tasty. So he's able to give you that polished look of fondant icing but not be hard as a rock and crumbly when you cut into the cake. I dislike that about regular fondant. Bala's fondant is flexible and creamy. Those calla lilies that he created that cascaded from top to bottom on the cake looked SO real. Everyone was impressed. We saved the top tier of our wedding cake (we had 3 tiers). At the end of the night we only had a few slices of the cake left. That meant that the 100+ guests enjoyed our fabulous wedding cake as well. 100 thumbs up to Bala! You can not go wrong with his cakes, whichever flavor you go with. Just make sure you go with Bala for that special presentation and wonderful tasting cake.

Elizabeth · Married on 06/25/2016

BEST CAKE EVER. We would get married again and again just to get more of this cake. Thank you so much Chef Bala for the most amazing passionfruit wedding cake there ever was!! Everyone at our wedding was talking about how delicious it was. Chef Bala is also very personable and we loved working with him.

Becky · Married on 03/19/2016

OMG! Wow, You know, you go to weddings, and either the food is not that great, or that the cake is not that great. Well, we had the fortunate time to say that, it didn't happen to us. Ultimately, it is a party, and you're spending money. So, ask yourself, why would you want anything less than perfect. This cake place is ultimately, the best that we've had. Ok, you might say that we haven't been to many weddings, or that this may be biased, or what not. Read the rest of our other reviews for our wedding vendors. We didn't go back home to meet with any of our vendors. So we went in blind. That's a lot of trust. The cake was smooth, soft, and delicious. It was literally, the best cake ever. Even if you go a cake shop and not judging wedding cakes, and you're just judging cakes, it is still in the top 5. The representation, the details, the texture. All perfect. I don't even know how much it was, and it didn't matter. Worth every penny!

Kristina · Married on 10/10/2015

Bala did a beautiful job for our wedding cake. We had vanilla bean cake with mascarpone and vanilla bean with chocolate. Not only was the cake beautiful but it was light and had just the right amount of "sweet". Bala was easy to work with and the tasting was great. I would highly recommend The CakeMaker.

• User5197725 · 2+ years ago

Bala was amazing! The cake was delicious and absolutely stunning. Highly recommended!

Nicole · Married on 09/06/2015

After tasting multiple vendors cake - too dry, too oily, too dense we found the Cake Maker. He was so experienced and easy to work with. Didn't even charge for a tasting! We had so many great reviews from guests - I'd go with Bala if you're looking for a wedding cake!

Melissa · Married on 06/07/2015

Bala made us a three tier wedding cake that super delicious and beautiful! The flavors are amazing; we had friends who don't normally like cake tell us our was great! Super friendly and easy to work with to design our vision for the cake.

Cari · Married on 04/24/2015

The Cakemaker made the cake for our recent 4/24/15 wedding. It was exactly as we had envisioned and absolutely delicious! I would highly recommend The Cakemaker to others!

Linda · Married on 03/07/2015

Stunning, spectacular, delicious! Bala is a delight to work with and designs the cake of your dreams. I had a black/white theme at my wedding and using a Pinterest photo as a guide, he did the most amazing job that dazzled the crowd. His attention to detail and creative eye made all the difference. I've never been a fan of wedding cakes and was advised to go with a different dessert, but I am so glad that I did not. The elegance and style of my wedding theme would not have been the same without Bala's magic touch!

Jaclyn · Married on 10/18/2014

We were so happy with the service we received from Bala at The Cakemaker. He was always very quick to respond and attentive to our needs.

The cake looked beautiful and was so delicious!!!! He is also very fairly priced. We got so many compliments on the look and taste of the cake. The style of his cake is so unique and beautiful!

Bala is amazing! He created individual cakes for each of our guests at our wedding with hand made chocolate flowers and a chocolate basket weave wrap. Our guests still talk to us about how much they loved the cakes!

In addition, Bala created the most delicious gluten-free, sugar-free cake I have ever tasted for myself and other guests who are gluten intolerant and/or diabetic. The "special" cake was as beautiful as the gluten cake and according to my husband who could taste both, it tasted just as amazing. The GF version was so incredible that my husband and I purchased a 6" version for our dating anniversary, and my husband's aunt purchased one for her daughter-in-laws birthday a couple weeks later.

Finally, Bala himself is a delight. He went out of his way to source gold disks to enhance the presentation.

My husband and I hope he never retires so that we can continue to order cakes from him for our special occasions!

Bala was great to work with and his cakes are absolutely delicious! Highly recommend The Cakemaker!

Chef Bala is a one man whirlwind of beauty and favor spun into your dream cake! He is so kind and soft spoken, while his cakes make a powerful statement. Our Hazelnut and caramel buttercream cake alternated with a deep dark red velvet with marscapne cream. What a flavor explosion. All of this was hidden beneath his glorious white chocolate woven cloth. A miracle of flavor and grace. LUCKY US! Thank you Bala, you are THE Cakemaker!

summer · Married on 08/17/2013

Cake was beautiful and taste even better !! Bala was great and even made our flowers that was on the cake the same colors as our wedding.. nice personal touch !! Delivered on time and always responded in a timely matter

The cake we order from Bala...The Cakemaker was the nose amazing and delicious cake I have ever had. It was large enough for at least 100 but fed 50..barely. Our topper is awaiting an occasion like the holidays because it will not make it to our anniversary. We will make The Cakemaker a yearly tradition. YUM!

We booked the Cake Maker after having a piece of cake from a wedding we attended. The cake looked amazing and tasted even better so based on that we knew we were going to book Bala to make our cake without even visiting any other bakeries. My husband and I scheduled our visit to do a cake tasting. The Cake Maker has many unique flavors to choose from. We decided to do a tuxedo cake in his classic design. When we went to pick our cake up two days before the wedding it was just beautiful. Words can not describe how beautiful Bala's cakes are. My mouth literally dropped open when I saw our cake. We picked up our cake to drop off at our venue - with a custom size box that Bala ordered special for our cake at no additional cost so it would fit into our venue's fridge. On our wedding day our cake looked amazing displayed on our cake table and tasted even better. The fondant that Bala creates is thin and actually taste good to eat, not like most fondants. I highly recommend Bala's business the Cake Maker for any wedding cake, you will not be disappointed.

Catherine · Married on 11/11/2011

Bala is the best! His prices are insanely affordable and he was a joy to work with. Literally you can not have a conversation with him without smiling. He made a beautiful cake that was exactly what we discussed and the flavors and freshness of the cake were fabulous. Go with Bala, you will be so happy that you did!

Binh · Married on 09/17/2011

I actually never got a chance to meet Bala the Cakemaker but out of the dozen cake places me and my wife tried sometimes together, sometimes just her, she ended up choosing Bala the Cakemaker for our wedding at SF City Hall.

The cake was beautiful and arrived with no problems. But more importantly, I'm not a big dessert guy much less a cake fan, so I rarely get excited about cake. But when I had our wedding cake, it was AMAZING. It tasted so good, I ate the whole slice in less then a minute. And my mom, who thinks nothing is ever good unless she makes it, thought the cake tasted great too.

All of the guests said the cake was stunning, which is nice and expected, but what's more impressive is a lot of the guests asked for seconds.

When it's time to get a cake for your celebration, call Bala The Cakemaker, he won't disappoint.

Angela · Married on 09/09/2011

My husband and I did not want the traditional wedding cake. Bala, the cakemaker, took the time to discuss our options- made it happen and it was delicious!!!!

Sharon · Married on 05/21/2011

Bala is great to work with. Not only did Bala make a great tasting cake and it looked beyond amazing. It was one of my favorite things of the wedding. We chose Red Velvet and Tiramisu and both were delicious. Bala made it easy and stress free once we chose him. We picked the design and flavors, 7 months before the wedding. We sent the deposit and forgot about the cake until 2 weeks before the wedding. Bala remembered us, and knew exactly what we asked for as soon as we called. He didn't have to put us on hold to look for paperwork. Trust Bala, we did!!!