The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center Reviews

The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center 3
The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center 4
The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center 5

Kathy · Married on 07/26/2013

The Bluff is a beautiful venue and the food is fantastic! Hot and a lot of it.
    We had so many compliments on it. Jan is a wonderful, fun woman to work with. She helps in any way she can. I would recommend the Bluff to anyone who wants great food, great venue and wonderful price. This was our first wedding for our family,( only daughter,) we couldn't have asked for more

Sent on 08/06/2013

Erin · Married on 06/22/2013

In the words of one of my wedding guests, the Bluff is "a quintessential diamond in the rough." Looking at the location (the back side of a strip mall), one might think that the Bluff is kind of trashy. You couldn't be more mistaken! The inside is beautifully decorated and surprisingly spacious. (We had approximately 240 guests at 29 tables.) A wall of windows looks out over Indian Trails Golf Course, and there is a patio outside where guests can enjoy fresh air. The food is excellent, even earning a thumbs up from my aunt, who is a well-known caterer on the other side of the state. The Bluff staff was very responsive to requests and accommodated several guests with diverse dietary needs, including gluten-free and vegan.The sound system is very good, allowing guests to still converse during dancing hours. The cost is also very reasonable. I HIGHLY recommend the Bluff!

Sent on 06/27/2013

Hannah · Married on 03/29/2013

We had a beautiful wedding at The Bluff Banquet Center. The food was excellent and the staff was very nice, professional and accommodating. I would recommend The Bluff Banquet Center to anyone and everyone who is planning a wedding in Grand Rapids, MI.

Sent on 04/02/2013

Sue · Married on 01/05/2013

My daughter, who is in the army and stationed in Germany, had her reception at the Bluff. Since I (mom) was working without my daughter, Jan proved to be an excellent wedding planner (consultant) . She suggested Bar people DJ's and cake makers. All of which were wonderful. The facility was nicely decorated. We only had to do our centerpieces. Jan made the wedding so easy for me to plan. And the food. I had more compliments from my guests than you can believe. We had a plated service with New York Strip (grilled right there on the premises). Tilapia and baked Chicken. Everything was done to perfection. The staff was wonderful and accommodating and the facility itself is magnificent. I would highly recommend the Bluff to anyone looking for a venue for there wedding.

Sent on 01/09/2013

This place was absolutely wonderful to work with. We were able to get in on their "Winter White" special and therefore they helped up save some money when it came to putting on a big reception for 220+ people. The food is outstanding, the associates running it are nothing but professional, and it is all guided by the wonderful Jan Bylsma who not only owns the venue, but also works sided by side with all of her staff the entire night to ensure things are running smoothly. She was also there every step of the way when it came to setting up the details, and could be reached at a moments notice for answering of any questions. The professionalism and value of this venue are not to be beaten!

Sent on 08/15/2012
  • Ash

Ash · Married on 02/25/2012

The Bluff really did make our wedding fantastic. the venue is magical and being on a golf course, with the snow we had, the whole thing just looked amazing. i would suggest to anyone that they check this place out for weddings or other events that might need an awesome hall and super friendly staff and a very professional service...
    BEST FOOD EVER. Tasted amazing.

Sent on 03/20/2012

Janna · Married on 07/26/2008

The best food we have ever had at a wedding. Beautiful room and excellent staff.

Sent on 09/28/2008

I absolutely LOVED my wedding reception at the Bluff. I received so many compliments on the food, setting, and professional staff. We were able to make the night our own with a flexible schedule. Jan was very easy to work with even though it was a crazy busy time of the year for them. I was able to enjoy my night and not have to worry about any details. They were also very flexible with setting up the venue and offered to do most of the work. Wonderful experience!

Sent on 01/02/2014

Denise Sokolowski · Married on 09/14/2019

Daughters Wedding

Our daughter's reception was held at the Bluff on 9.14.19 We requested some changes in how the room would be set up the day before and it was done perfectly.
    The managers and staff were professional and attentive. The FOOD was awesome! When you read how good the food is on other posts you wonder - but it's all true! Guests have gone out of their way to tell us how good the food was. We would definitely recommend the Bluff to friends and family.

Sent on 09/22/2019

Alyssa · Married on 10/14/2017

Our wedding at the Bluff was amazing! Jan and her staff were excellent to work with and made us feel like royalty on our wedding day. We have heard so many compliments from our guests about the food. A great value and a hidden gem in Grand Rapids. Jan has years of experience and did not miss a single detail leading up to our wedding. Highly recommend this wedding venue!

The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center 6
    The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center 7
    The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center 8
    The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center 9
    The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center 10
    Sent on 02/19/2018

Julie · Married on 09/03/2016

The one compliment we received over and over from our guest about our wedding is how great the food was!!!

Sent on 09/19/2016

Mackenzie · Married on 08/11/2018

3.5

Jan and staff were wonderful. We emailed back and forth with questions, randomly showed up look at the space, and were allowed in, and were treated with professionalism, a laugh, and kindness throughout the whole process.

The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center 11
    The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center 12
    Sent on 09/18/2018

Jessica · Married on 05/17/2013

We loved having our reception at the Bluff! Jan was incredibly helpful throughout the whole process, and very flexible throughout the duration of our experience. Food was delicious and staff was kind. I would highly recommend checking out the Bluff.

Sent on 05/28/2013
  • Kim

Kim Schaible · Married on 07/06/2019

This place is GREAT!

We had our 108 person reception at the Bluff; they can fit up to 300. Excellent food! Many guests commented on this. They time it so the rolls are served hot out of the oven. The pot roast is flavorful and most delicious.
    We worked together to make sure four guests who needed food modifications would have meals.
    They really want to make your day awesome and deliver!
    I was planning this reception from 3.5 hours away. We had a few challenges with communicating and meeting, but the end result was worth it all.
    Beautiful venue, delicious food, willing to work with you, and excellent price. I would use them again for any event.

Sent on 07/09/2019
  • User3219565 · 2+ years ago

3.5

I have nothing negative to say about The Bluff. All of my guests loved it as well! Everyone loved the venue and the food. I was extremely pleased with the service as well! Awesome!

Sent on 04/25/2013

The bluff was a beautiful place to have a reception! Jan and her team were professional and organized. One of the best parts was that they did everything for me - that was such a time saver for me and took so much worry away. Every bride needs that! Our wedding qualified from the Winter White special so our cost included everything. I mean everything; linens, plates, utensils, alcohol, cake, all set up, and delicious food. Yes, our selection of food wasn't as extensive as the full menu but it had all the essentials and our guests did not stop raving about how good the food was! I was definitely impressed with this venue and the price was amazing for all that was included and at such good quality.

Sent on 11/08/2015

Jamie · Married on 09/14/2007

We had our reception here. We were very pleased with everything. We honestly have no complaints. We had a lot of comliments from our guests on the food. It was wonderful. By far, the most inexpensive we found anywhere.

Sent on 02/27/2008

4.2
      3.5

This was a great place for the price! The food was some of the best I have ever had! The few things to be aware of are that their video screen (if you want to show a video) is small, make sure you go BEFORE the wedding to figure out how to make it run properly. The other thing I would suggest is to ask questions about the cake. When we got to the hall there was plenty of wait staff and Jan and her husband were there. They gave great service! After dinner everyone left (without asking if we needed anything else). So, at the end of the night when our wedding reception was over there was no one to ask questions (we did find a cook we asked a few things). Our cake was thrown on the table and the top of the cake (which we wanted to save) was sitting there. The questions I suggest you ask are: Should we bring our own extra plates for the rest of the cake so we can enjoy what was not eaten at dinner throughout the rest of the night? and Should we bring a box for the top of our cake so we can save it for our anniversary? My new husband and I had a great reception at the Bluff and we would do it again there, we were just confused about the cake situation and at the end of the night a little upset to see it was just thrown on the table (not boxed or even set nicely). Overall, we were happy with this venue and for the price, it was a great choice. Everyone said it was a great party and the food was great.

Sent on 01/05/2013

The Bluff Banquet & Conference Center's reply:

Hi! :)
    Thank you for your comments we always like to hear from people. Regarding the slide show we usaully have people do a trial run before and then at the reception they have someone run it.
    Also the cake wow I hope they did not throw it on the table it is usually Jayme or I that put it back and we are careful :) and we do not supply the boxes for the cake. The cake people should I would think. Again Thank You for you comments and I will look into the things you pointed out!! It was our pleasure to serve you and your guest and make your night the BEST memory ever!

Marie · Married on 04/10/2010

4.2

I used The Bluff for my reception site. The food was amazing, especially the mashed potato bar. I had many compliments from guests on both the food and the venue. Jan was more than helpful in the entire planning process and answered all of the questions I had quite promptly. My only issue with the venue was that it was really hot in there despite it being quite pleasant outside.

Sent on 04/14/2010

3.5

All of the business was conducted through Jan and Jamie, they were fantastic. Down to earth, speedy, and reliable. The hall itself was recently redone and looks beautiful. It has panoramic windows facing the golf course and a wall of mirrors by the dance floor. The food is delicious and they give you plenty of options. They only use D. Schuler's for the bar service but they're very reasonable and professional. Overall have had a very good experience with this vendor. The only downside is the physical location of the building, its basically in the bottom of a strip mall, but as soon as you're inside that is completely forgotten.

Sent on 11/11/2015

Michael · Married on 06/14/2013

3.8
      3.0

Jan at The Bluff was awesome... Until the week of the wedding. She lost our information and gave us confusing info - don't get me wrong, the venue is great, and the food is awesome! Just watch out for those hidden costs that aren't mentioned up front - like gas fee and bar setup (you can only use one approved bar vendor, who were by far one of the best vendors we worked with, but you still have to pay the Bluff for the glasses, etc) - but overall I do recommend this venue, especially over others we saw. I enjoy the organization of the banquet hall and as a DJ who has done a couple events of my own there, they are very friendly to outside vendors.

Sent on 07/01/2013

Megan · Married on 01/03/2009

3.8
      3.5

I had my wedding reception here. Jan was wonderful to work with. The food was great. We had a plated dinner and the meals came out fast and the wait staff was great. It's beautiful in there and a great size. I wouldn't suggest they decoate for you though, not everything was where I wanted it; but it did look great.

Sent on 10/07/2010