The Black Tie Company Reviews

38 | Portland, ME

38 Reviews for The Black Tie Company

Deb Rausch · Married on 07/06/2019

Absolutely perfect!

From the vendor recommendations, to the impeccable service and food to Amy, the outstanding wedding coordinator we could not have been happier with Black Tie. I credit them with turning what could have been a stressful event into a flawless, fun and perfect weekend. Every detail was taken care of, every wish accommodated. At the reception Amy seemed to be everywhere and handling everything with ease and class.

Sent on 07/10/2019

Sussn · Married on 08/04/2018

We had our daughter’s reception on Peaks Island at Jones Landing with Black Tie as our caterer, directed by Amy Collins. Black Tie was fabulous from food to set up/break down, and Amy was truly extraordinary. She was supportive, knowledgable, and enthusiastic — always available to help. The celebration went seamlessly. We could not have had a more positive experience!

Sent on 08/10/2018
  • O

Olivia · Married on 06/09/2018

I cant say enough great things about our experience with the BTC! From our very first meeting, to the day of our wedding (and the numerous emails In between!), Amy Collins was there every step of the way and was absolutely amazing to work with! She truly went above and beyond in helping us to facilitate and experience the most perfect day possible!
    Also, THE FOOD!! Can I just say that there was not a single thing we tried at our food tasting that we didn't like? Also, our family and friends cannot stop talking about how AMAZING the food and BTC staff were at our rehearsal dinner and wedding!
    It's so hard to believe the day has come and gone, but Tony and I both agree, there is not a single thing we would change about it and we owe so much of that to Amy and the rest of the BTC staff!

Sent on 07/01/2018

Laura · Married on 08/12/2017

My husband and I worked with Heather Dusty and the Black Tie Company to plan our wedding at the Harbor View at Jones Landing. We have nothing but wonderful things to say about Heather and Black Tie. I was planning this wedding from California, and Heather made the whole process easy and painless. It was such a cool moment seeing my entire vision come together - it was the wedding that I have been dreaming about since I was little! Heather was also great about giving recommendations when I was at a loss or didn't know where to start - just the right balance of helpful without ever being pushy.
    Heather also really helped working with other vendors. She always had a contact ready for whatever new detail I found out I needed (menus, programs, linens, etc.) and offered to coordinate. She helped coordinate communication even with vendors/partners that were particularly uncommunicative, which saved a lot of headaches.
    The food was incredible, and the staff awesome. We worked with a phenomenal dessert chef who made my hydrangea, blueberry cake vision come to life - complete with ski cake topper.
    I literally cannot say enough good things about Heather or Black Tie - they created the perfect day for Alex and me!!!!

Sent on 08/22/2017

Janet · Married on 08/05/2017

My son and daughter-in-law chose Black Tie Company for their wedding at the Portland Club.
    We can not say enough great things about Amy Collins. She was so helpful with the wedding
    planning. She even met me in a snow storm so I could see the Portland Club! The food was excellent and the staff was exceptional. I would highly recommend The Black Tie Company
    to all.

Sent on 10/02/2017

Jessie · Married on 07/29/2017

Black Tie Company did an amazing job catering our wedding at Jones Landing on Peaks Island. Our coordinator Nicki was a pleasure to work with, from start to finish. We planned our wedding from halfway across the country, and Black Tie took the stress out of the process. Throughout the planning process every request was answered with “yep, we can do that”, and they delivered! The day of – our venue was beautiful, the food was delicious, but it was the little things that Black Tie provided that set them apart. Nicki even brought us appetizers while we were taking photos to make sure we did not miss out on the food we had so much fun picking at our tasting. Our special decoration requests were completely handled by the Black Tie staff, and we received numerous comments that our food was the best food people have had at a wedding. After our great experience with Black Tie Co, we would recommend them to anyone!

Sent on 10/15/2017

Katie · Married on 06/03/2017

We worked with Heather Dusty and I cannot say enough about how amazing Heather is. She took care of every single detail for our wedding and it was absolutely perfect. She was readily available at all times, unbelievably responsive, and definitely went above and beyond her services. She coordinated with all vendors involved, dealt with any headaches that arose and literally gave us the perfect day. I would recommend Heather 100 times over. My favorite line of hers was when I asked, are you going to need anything from us on the day of the wedding and her response was "I don't want you to even think about doing anything!" She always put us at ease and made planning a wedding feel like a walk in the park. Black Tie Company is great, but they are lucky and fortunate to have someone like Heather represent their brand. Thank you Heather! The feedback from our guests was 10 stars as well. Our wedding was in our backyard so we needed a lot of outside vendors, Heather worked with them all! She got us our tent, our table/decor rentals, our AV equipment, our lighting, our alcohol, everything! I wish I could attend a party put on by Heather every weekend because it was just perfect - so easy, so fun, beautiful atmosphere, stunning experience!

Sent on 06/12/2017
  • Liz

Liz · Married on 08/20/2016

The Black Tie Company did it all. From Menu Selection to decoration to Table Set ups. Many people commented they felt like they were on a movie set, and we could not agree more. The efficiency and attention to detail were greatly appreciated!  Despite our schedule running *quite* late because of the collective love-fest that was happening, the team pulled-off a delectable feast! Everyone was RAVING about the food, and many guests said it was the best they had ever had. One guest said the only problem with the pies, was that he couldn't make a choice which one to have! Never once did we feel our ideas were ridiculous, even when our initial menu was enough to feed the Red Sox and their extended family! Our wedding planners patience, tact, attention to detail, grace and utmost professionalism were appreciated more than we could ever voice.

Sent on 09/06/2016

The Black Tie did an exceptional job with our wedding at Harbor View at Jones Landing. Madeline was great and worked with us to make sure every detail we wanted could happen. Avery the chef was amazing and created a wonderful menu for our wedding day. We decided to do a small cutting cake and petite pastries for dessert which the Black Tie Co. did an exceptional job at as well. Thank you for a great wedding reception.

Sent on 10/30/2016

Alyssa · Married on 06/25/2016

We had such a wonderful experience with the Black Tie Company! From first meeting Amy Collins while deciding on a caterer, to the food tasting, and to the rehearsal dinner, she was there every step of the way! I had many questions over the year of planning, and she always responded very quickly, with very helpful answers. The day of our wedding Amy and Nicky were very helpful and knowledgeable. We gave them decorations and they decorated Jones Landing for us which was a huge help! It looked amazing! The food was wonderful! I would highly recommend the Black Tie Company!

Sent on 07/02/2016

Angela · Married on 06/11/2016

We could NOT have been any happier with Amy Collins and the Black Tie company. We worked with them for a year planning our wedding events and Amy was nothing short of perfect - flexible, caring, understanding, with incredible attention to detail and organizational skills. Just looking at some of our photos - you can see her in the background adjusting things and attending to details in many of them! She had heart and soul and is absolutely amazing at what she does. Her staff is also incredible. Our guests made countless comments on the quality of both the food and service - we used Black Tie for event planning and catering for rehearsal dinner and all wedding events. We had multiple guests say that the food and drinks was hands down the best they have ever had at a wedding. We would reccomend Amy and the Black Tie Company to anyone, anytime, anywhere, without reservation!

Sent on 06/29/2016

Marsha · Married on 08/23/2015

Black Tie was very easy to work with - everything was perfect! They helped me with the whole wedding planning process.

Sent on 10/29/2015

Katelyn · Married on 12/31/2014

Amy at Black Tie was phenomenal to work with! As soon as we toured the Portland Club with her, I knew it was the perfect spot for our New Years Eve wedding. Our food was spectacular, tables looked perfect, and our guests were more than happy. I still have people raving to me about how helpful the Black Tie staff was -- getting drinks, serving my grandparents so they didn't have to wait in line, decorating -- everything! Amy was especially wonderful - I cannot rave enough about her and Black Tie! I hope that someday soon I have the pleasure of working with her and Black Tie again! An absolutely perfect night, made possible by Black Tie. Thank you!

Sent on 01/28/2015

Laura · Married on 09/13/2014

Where to begin? The Black Tie Co. is a true gem. Black Tie provided us with food and bar service for our rehearsal dinner, wedding dinner, cake, and desserts and everything was spectacular. Fresh seafood, local beers, delicious baked goods - just incredible and satisfied our pickiest foodie guests from NYC, Boston and Cape Cod. Sandra was our wedding planner and truly made our day. Above and beyond anything we could have expected. She worked SO hard to make it perfect and was a true wonder woman, providing us with world-class service and putting out fires left and right to make sure we were blissfully unaware of any problems and had the best day of our lives! Would recommend Black Tie to anyone. Amazing experience!

Sent on 09/28/2014

Julissa · Married on 08/15/2014

I worked with Sandra from Black Tie and she was amazing! She was so patient, kind, and organized- she was a pleasure to work with! The food Black Tie put out was out of this world delicious- I got so many compliments from guests! Overall, my wedding was perfect and I attribute a lot of that to Sandra and team for their hard work!

Sent on 09/03/2014

Gabrielle · Married on 08/28/2010

I was married on August 28th on Peaks Island, and food was one top priority for our wedding – Black Tie did not disappoint! All of the food has to be transported from Portland out to Peaks Island, which made me a little bit nervous, but everything was amazing – both in taste and preparation. Their staff is also top notch, they made sure that our guests were happy throughout the evening, and if they saw someone had a need, they stepped right in to help.
    During our cocktail hour, both hot and cold butler passed hors d’oeuvres were served, as well as a full stationary display. My favorites were the lobster bundles and the grilled pear with Roquefort on a baguette.
    We then served a plated, 4 course dinner to approx. 60 guests, with a poured wine service:
    • First Course: a chilled melon-berry soup (amazing presentation!)
    • Second Course: a salad of baby spinach, figs, and bacon
    • Third Course: choice between crab cakes and a Carpaccio with lemon olive oil
    • Fourth Course: choice between roasted butternut squash ravioli and spicy puttanesca sauce over orchiette pasta
    • Dessert: chocolate and red velvet cupcakes, topped with edible flowers

Paula was our coordinator, and she was wonderful to work with. She responded promptly to all e mails and requests (including the addition of a guest late Friday night just before the wedding!). Much more than “just” a caterer, Black Tie also assists with your total event set up, and really guides you through the wedding planning process.
    I would highly, highly recommend Black Tie Catering to any bride who loves truly great food and service.

Sent on 09/10/2010

Carrie · Married on 01/03/2009

We had our reception at The Portland Club, which is catered by Black Tie. Amy Collins was our coordinator and she did a wonderful job. We have absolutely no complaints. Everything went off exactly as we had discussed- and if it didn't, we didn't notice it. The attendents were extremely attentive to us and the food was excellent. I was also blown away by our cake. I think this ended up being one of my favorite parts of the evening. The cake came out gorgeous (just like our picture) and it tasted wonderful.
    While Black Tie may be a little costly, the catering and service was well worth it. We wouldn't change a thing about the day.

Sent on 06/07/2009

Kristen · Married on 08/02/2008

The Black Tie Catering Co. did a fantastic job with our wedding. Amy Collins was a great planner and organizer and helped steer me in the right direction. I had not clue how to plan and wedding and she surprised me and my husband with how well everything turned out.

Kristen and Jan
    8-2-2008

Sent on 08/19/2008

Ashley · Married on 10/01/2011

My husband and I recently got married and had our reception at their Portland Club venue. It was perfect! We had 140 guests, but still wanted a cozy and intimate space. It was exactly what we wanted. It felt as though we had the chance to all get together in someones beautiful big old home. Amy Collins was who we used to plan everything through. She was EXCELLENT! Always on top of her game and a pleasure to work with. Even on the day of the wedding she was more than willing to move the cocktail hour back a bit so the bridal party could enjoy some of it after doing photos. Afterwords, we all went up into their antique billiards room for the after party where we had grilled cheese and tomato soup (a signature meal of my husband and I) at hand for late night partying :) Highly recommended.

Sent on 10/18/2011

Tracy · Married on 08/25/2018

Christina and her staff were nothing short of outstanding and professional! She handled every item on the day of set up seamless along with any wrinkles we threw her way! Very happy with the staff and Christina's performance!

Sent on 08/27/2018

Angie · event on 04/27/2018

I hired Black Tie for my combination 50th bday/retirement/moving to Maine celebration. Approx 90 guests participated, about half of whom had come in from other cities/countries. From the moment I sat down with event planner Amy Collins, I knew I could relax and leave the details to her. She and her team exceeded my wildest expectations, to the point where guests were coming up to me during the party to tell me how great not only the food, but also the staff, were. I had absolutely ZERO complaints and would use them again in a heartbeat.

Sent on 05/15/2018

Melissa · Married on 07/25/2015

Our experience with Black Tie catering our wedding was phenomenal. They have such an extensive and impressive menu that they were the clear choice for us. We needed to have a fully vegan entree, a gluten-free entree, and another option. They were amazingly accommodating with our requests, and even altered one of their standard vegetarian options to make it fully vegan. The food was great, the service was amazing, and working with Kathleen Pacella on the planning was a real pleasure. She also served as our day-of wedding coordinator, and she did a great job. Given how positive our experience with Black Tie was, it’s easy to see why they’ve been the top catering company in Portland for so long!

Sent on 04/30/2016

kelsey · Married on 06/05/2015

Amy at The Black Tie Company the catering company for our wedding venue, Portland Club was great and helped make our wedding the amazing event we hoped for. They were incredibly professional, the food was amazing, the room looked perfect and the staff took great care of myself, my husband and our guests.

Sent on 06/18/2015

Worked with Sandra at Black Tie to plan our same-sex wedding at Harborview at Jones Landing (separate review for the venue specifically). Can't say enough wonderful things about Sandra. She helped us plan our wedding, our rehearsal dinner AND a welcome party all at Black Tie-managed venues. She was such a help--gave the appropriate amount of advice and suggestions without being pushy or making us feel pressured into doing anything that was too expensive/that we didn't want. She was utterly flexible, meeting with us at multiple times, answering incessant emails, changing numbers and preferences on the day of our event--everything we could ask for. Our venue was beautiful and although we were not able to have Sandra on-site for the entirety of our wedding she was there at the beginning and helped make everything perfect. Would recommend anyone to work with Sandra at Black Tie Co.!

Sent on 12/29/2014

Cori · Married on 08/04/2012

Camille and the Black Tie Company did a fantastic job in ensuring our wedding came together smoothly! Planning a wedding long distance isn't the easiest of tasks, but Camille and her staff did a great job of making sure my husband and I were 100% pleased with the menu, decor, staff, etc. The food was absolutely incredible and exceeded expectations (food was a big part of the night for us and we both had high standards for the cocktail hour and dinner). Additionally, the decor for the reception turned out even better than I could have imagined! As the summer season got busy, there was a bit of delayed response in ensuring that last minute questions were answered and we received our final contract a bit closer to the wedding date than I would have preferred, however any last minute changes my husband and I wanted were addressed promptly and everything turned out spectacular! We couldn't have been more pleased on our wedding day!

Sent on 10/14/2012