The Birchwood Reviews

The Birchwood 5
The Birchwood 6
The Birchwood 7

Danielle · Married on 01/27/2017

We worked with The Birchwood to host our After Party at the Rooftop Canopy. We had all four canopies reserved to continue the party after our wedding reception. We had about 30-40 people go. It was a great place to hold an after party.

Sent on 02/04/2017

Ashley · Married on 12/31/2016

We had our rehearsal brunch at the Birchwood and it was everything we hoped for! I can't comment on the planning aspects, as I did not take part in that, but as a bride, everything was amazing and the venue could not have been more beautiful.

Sent on 03/03/2017

Lindsay · Married on 11/17/2016

I am so happy that my husband and I chose the right venue for our wedding. We knew that we wanted something classic and elegant, and The Birchwood definitely delivered. From day one, everyone we worked with was extremely responsive and flexible. We wanted our entire wedding to be vegan, and all of the staff at The Birchwood didn't even bat an eye! This was absolutely not the case with any other venue or catering company we talked to. The Birchwood staff responded to literally every little question I had immediately, and kindly. The chef made us several different options at our tasting to accommodate our vegan menu, and it was all delicious! The day before the wedding, we needed to get in to the ballroom to set a few things up, and the staff made it happen for us even though they had to rush. The bridal suite was gorgeous, and they delivered a nice plate of our appetizers and mojitos to us during our cocktail hour so that we could have a moment alone before making a grand entrance to our reception. When we walked into our reception, it was more than we ever could have hoped for! The sweetheart table they set up for us was so beautiful, and there were many little touches that we never would have thought of that pulled everything together perfectly. Our wedding guests were raving about the food, and they were surprised that eating an all plant-based meal could taste so good! At the end of the night, a few of us went up to The Canopy rooftop bar and enjoyed a few drinks and some cupcakes in a cabana. When we returned to the bridal suite, a bottle of champagne was waiting. It was all so magical. The Birchwood staff thought of every little detail, and worked very hard to make our day as special as possible. Every step of the way, we knew that we had chosen the right venue. Lauren, Leja, Tim, Casey, Chef Karim, and everyone else who worked so hard to make us so blissfully happy, we appreciate you! Thank you for the beautiful memories!

Sent on 05/31/2017

Britanny · Married on 11/05/2016

We were totally blown away with The Birchwood on our wedding day! We are so thankful we chose this unique venue to host our reception. We worked with Lauren, Leja and Casey during our wedding planning process. They were easy to work with, quick with communication to all our questions and made our day completely stress free! The ballroom was so beautiful and elegant as-is, we knew we wouldn't have to go over the top with decor and flowers. The food was absolutely amazing, we got so many complements from our guests on how delicious the appetizers and dinner were. I so impressed with every detail...I highly recommend The Birchwood for any future bride!

Sent on 06/06/2017

Meghan · Married on 09/04/2016

Its been three weeks since our wedding and people are STILL raving about the venue. Its such a gorgeous set up and the food was absolutely amazing. The chef even made my father a special meal since he had just had surgery and was having trouble eating - I really can't say enough about how attentive and involved he was. The team there is really great and we had an awesome experience working with them.

Sent on 09/26/2016

Alyssa · Married on 07/23/2016

The Birchwood did an absolutely fabulous job hosting our wedding. Their ballroom is beautiful and elegant. I saw no need to spend extra money on draping the walls or purchasing chair covers or fancy linens. The room is beautiful, as-is, and we were so happy with how everything looked. The event and banquet managers were wonderful. They were so organized and quick to respond to my (probably too many) questions. They went out of their way to make sure I was happy, adding “local beers” to our bar package when we asked and including extra items in our private tasting in order to choose the best menu. I can’t say enough good things about the food – so delicious. The event and banquet team were truly a pros, with every detail planned prior to our event. We were provided a CAD style drawing of your layout, complete with every table and chair placement. They triple checked timelines and numbers and went over every detail at our final walk thru. They were very patient when I had to email the morning of the wedding with last minute changes as a couple surprise guests had shown up. As organized as they were, I was completely at ease when the day came, knowing they had a rock solid plam. We stayed at the hotel the night prior. The rooms are beautiful and large, easily accommodating my 6 bridesmaids, the moms, and a hair and makeup team, and made for beautiful “getting ready” photos. The front desk staff was just as attentive and accommodating. The reception went flawlessly. I think they served our 120-guest reception in about 10 minutes, which was quite impressive, given we had 4 entrée selections. The wait staff, bartenders, and the entire team were wonderful. We also took advantage of the Canopy for our after-party, where we continued to receive amazing service. Not one person had a complaint about ANYTHING. If you want a flawless event, the Birchwood will definitely take care of you! We loved every minute of our wedding day and wouldn’t change a thing! Thank you!!!

Sent on 06/05/2017

Stacie · Married on 06/25/2016

We had our wedding at the Birchwood in June 2016. The Birchwood location was the perfect spot because the ball room was absolutely beautiful, the staff was very helpful & professional, the space fit our needs & the food was amazing. We still have guest tell us how wonderful the wedding venue & food was the night of our wedding. We also had our rehearsal at the Birchwood Restaurant the night prior to the wedding & we had our after party at the Canopy located on the 5th floor. All events were executed perfectly & beautifully! The Birchwood staff really did an amazing job through the entire wedding process!

Sent on 05/31/2017
  • Cathy

Cathy · Married on 12/30/2014

We were extremely happy with the Birchwood Inn and the quality service they provided! Our stay was romantic and intimate. We reserved our room for 3 nights, I stayed there alone the first night and used the room for all of my bridesmaids/moms/flower girls and their mom to get ready. Hair, make-up, dresses, there was room for everyone...all 13 of us, believe it or not, oh, and a baby! It was nothing short of impressive.
    The thing that blew me away the most was the always ready service. Anything I needed, they offered or helped me with. They were very polite and so welcoming! On the day of my arrival I wasn't able to park in the 15 minute parking that's reserved for Birchwood guests to leave their car for valet, so the woman at the desk offered to go to my car parked across the road and help me bring in all of my wedding stuff. I declined but I was so surprised and thankful for the offer!
    Like I said, and I wasn't exaggerating I swear, I had 13 women in my room at one time, 6 bridesmaids, 2 moms, 2 flower girls and their mom, my hair and make-up stylist and my photographer who still had plenty of room to move around and get shots! That many girls can messy a room very quickly, it didn't occur to me at the time what effect it would have at the end of the night when my husband was supposed to see the room for the first time. We got back and it was a huge mess. Trash everywhere, dress bags and hangers just laying on the floor. I couldn't believe what a mess they had made. It was supposed to be our mini honeymoon and all we wanted to do was cry. The next morning I told the front desk what had happened and that my new husband didn't get to see the room in its original state and I was really sad. While we went out to breakfast they completely cleaned our room and returned it the way it was when I saw it for the first time, complementary VOSS and all. I wanted to cry I was so happy! They went above and beyond to make our stay memorable and intimate!

Sent on 02/13/2015

Kevin · Married on 10/10/2014

Susan at the Birchwood was great to deal with our wedding. She was very responsive to emails and phone calls.
    Responsiveness - Susan was great to deal with and was very quick to respond to emails/phone calls.
    Value - Way better value on food than you get at any place around. There were so many complements on food from the event.
    Venue- BEAUTIFUL! Right on beach drive in downtown St. Pete.
    We got so many compliments on the venue. The ballroom was beautiful. We have no regrets in choosing the Birchwood and couldn't imagine our reception anywhere else!

Sent on 10/24/2014

Emily · Married on 04/18/2014

We signed our contract with the Birchwood within months of their opening! We had no idea what to expect without many previous photos and event experiences. THIS VENUE IS STUNNING! We absolutely loved their ballroom, staff, and flexibility. Susan was very nice to work with and truly desires you to have the best birchwood experience. Although she is definitely busy buthopefully will have a more evolving event staff for future events. We got soo many compliments on how unique and beautiful the ballroom was. The mirrors and chandeliers make for stunning photos. Also the balcony is a WOW- factor. Would highly recommend this event! Our wedding was 160 people and everyone thought it was a perfect space.

Sent on 05/22/2014
  • F

Francesca · Married on 02/02/2019

Best night of our lives

The Birchwood (with special shoutout to coordinator Heather) was the PERFECT venue for our 175 person wedding! They were not only so accommodating and able to customize the space based on our needs, but were so attentive to numerous emails/random questions throughout planning. We got numerous compliments about the overall feel of the venue (including the rooftop Canopy one floor above which many of our guests enjoyed) and especially about the delicious food. Not only were our guests well taken care of, but my husband and I had check-ins throughout the night to make sure we didn't need drinks/food/etc. We absolutely recommend the Birchwood to anyone who wants an upscale, glamorous ballroom feel for a Downtown St Pete wedding!

Sent on 02/07/2019

Albert · Married on 03/09/2014

3.0

We had our rehearsal brunch and wedding reception at the Birchwood in March. The ballroom is gorgeous! And the food was also very tasty. In terms of planning Susan was very friendly and flexible. I think it was a good value for what you are getting. My only reservation is that it seems like they are starting to get busy and may need more help in the office. I know we turned in our headcount later than when we were supposed to due to guests that procrastinated in RSVPing. You really have to hunt people down. Ha! However, after we turned in our headcount we kept asking for the final invoice based on the final headcount but we never got one. My fiancé and I had obviously estimated what we thought it was going to be but never really found out until we cashed out at the end of our wedding. We were about $1K off which was one little extra surprise. It is what it is at that point. But we never did receive a full detailed invoice. I should have asked for one because maybe there was a mistake but I didn't want to deal with any more wedding stress at that point. I just wanted to enjoy ourselves and go on our honeymoon. Overall I would recommend the Birchwood to others. I had a wonderful time at my reception and I think it is a great venue. Just make sure to keep on top of the little details so you don't have any undue surprises or extra stress at the end.

Sent on 07/21/2014

Lauren · Married on 09/27/2014

3.2
      2.0
      2.0

We booked The Birchwood for our Sep'14 wedding. We fell in love with the location, ballroom, food, hotel rooms and buzz surrounding the hotel!

In July we updated our contract and were sent a new copy. Some terms changed and they were unable to send a contract with the event updates and correct terms (?!) so the contract had the new terms. The hotel block release date was 60 days prior on the new contract. I asked to confirm ours was 30. I was told it changed for everyone. We were 65 days out at that point, not enough time to contact our guests to make immediate arrangements. They agreed to honor the original contract. They also lost our room block contract and tried to charge guests more. After many calls they fixed the issue. We also had hotel bags that they kept forgetting to hand out.

I gave The Birchwood our valet stands address and was told they are not allowed to be there. I told them the valet company said they valeted for all The Birchwoods special events. I was told if they are doing that it is without their knowledge or consent. I said the valet stand address was the address of a house The Birchwood owns. I also gave the name of who I was working with. This banquet person said they didn't know the house's address and that name sounded familiar. Thanks for the heartattack.

At our final 72 hour meeting, I gave a copy of my floor plan with table #s. I was told it is not how they number the tables and it would be difficult for the staff. I would have numbered in whatever order they wanted HAD THEY TOLD ME. My placecards were already printed. My DOC said if it's what the bride wants, it's what she gets. The Birchwood had a different attitude and seemed to think of ways to be unaccomodating.

Overall, I'm happy I chose The Birchwood. Everyone had a great time. However it took extra time and organization to get what was promised. The Birchwood increased their rates and if they want that level of business, their customer service needs to improve.

Sent on 10/12/2014