The Bernards Inn Reviews

120 | Bernardsville, NJ

120 Reviews for The Bernards Inn

Gretchen · Married on 10/01/2017

The events team is wonderful! The night of our event we made a few mistakes, extra people coming, misspelled name cards etc... the Bernards Inn group was so incredibly flexible and willing to help. They were just so lovely. I can not say enough about how helpful they were.

Sent on 10/18/2017

Donna · Married on 09/23/2017

Our experience at Bernards Inn was excellent. This was a second wedding. The venue, the food and the service were all exceptional. My guests are still saying that everything was perfect. I do feel that the cost of rentals for table linens/settings were high as I was not aware that I would need to rent these items at first. I also was a bit disappointed with the service of the bridal person assigned to me the day of the wedding. She was very sweet and did anything asked of her but was novice. I will say that Andrea the event director was excellent from the day we booked. She handled every detail and worked hard on my event as it seems she does on all the events that take place at Bernards Inn. I have no regrets. The wedding was truly perfect and I would highly recommend this venue for a wedding or any other type of event!

Sent on 10/08/2017

Kelly · Married on 04/15/2017

Linda was a pleasure to work with and went out of her way to make our event special.

Sent on 05/27/2017

Audrey · Married on 11/11/2016

I strongly recommend the Bernard's Inn as a wedding venue for a small to medium-size wedding. The rooms for the cocktail hour and reception are beautiful, the food is delicious, and the guest rooms are lovely and comfortable. Jessica, the main event coordinator, was very helpful and responsive. The entire support staff did a wonderful job of creating a beautiful atmosphere for the wedding, cocktail hour, and the reception. They were very attentive to the needs of our guests and the service was both warm and professional.

Sent on 01/05/2017

Victoria · Married on 10/16/2010

Working with the Bernards Inn was an absolute pleasure. The venue and service is top notch in terms of professionalism, presentation and service. The Catering Sales Manager, Lauren Montemarano, is terrific and does a fabulous job in making you feel special and attended to. All of my guests were truly impressed.

I 100% recommend this venue for any wedding/party needs.

Sent on 11/01/2010

Carol · Married on 09/13/2009

We were very satisfied with everything at the Bernards Inn. Our catering manager Lauren was extremely helpful and accommodating, always had good advice and referrals, and held our hand throughout the entire wedding planning process. The venue was beautiful, the staff friendly and helpful, and the food was definitely a cut above the usual catering fare.

Sent on 12/11/2010

M · Married on 10/21/2006

The Bernards Inn was exceptional. The food is excellent, and the staff is highly professional, competent, and lovely to work with. The reception ran very smoothly, and the staff especially spoils the bride and groom. We were never told "no" to any of our requests.

Sent on 08/06/2008

Andrea · Married on 04/04/2018

3.5

Great place. Andrea is fantastic to work with!

Sent on 04/09/2018

Joy · Married on 09/11/2011

The Bernards Inn delivered everything that was promised....excellent food, excellent service. Bonnie was the face of The Bernards Inn for our daughter's wedding......she is warm , professional and fun to work with.....thankyou, Bonnie. Our guests raved that it was the best wedding they had ever been to.....everyone had fun. A total success.

Sent on 09/13/2011

Josh · Married on 02/20/2011

3.5

Everything was great, except that they are totally unwilling to work with the pricing.

Sent on 02/27/2011

D · Married on 04/29/2018

We recently celebrated a surprise 50th birthday party and we could not have had a better experience, The level of service and the professional attitude of the entire staff was unquestionably a game changer. As this took several months to plan, the staff accommodated to meet with me at unusual weekend morning hours which was very much appreciated by myself. And during the surprise celebration, all of the invited 24 guests felt very special by the warmth and easy nature of the catering staff. Yes, you can find places less expensive but our experience more than justified the expense and was well worth the value. And I would certainly recommend the Bernards Inn to anyone.

Sent on 04/10/2018
  • W

Wendy · event on: 02/21/2018

THE team was very helpful in making my corporate easy to plan. I was able to enjoy the event as a guest without worrying about the details.

Sent on 04/09/2018

Nancy · Married on 10/11/2014

3.5

Jessica Quesda, our Catering Sales Manager, was terrific in every way. She was very professional, thorough, and responsive, and it was a pleasure to work with her. She tried hard to make everything perfect for us. The food was delicious, the venue was beautiful, and the service was outstanding. We thought that the Bernards Inn provided an excellent value in everyway.

Sent on 10/27/2014

Emily · Married on 09/13/2009

In terms of service, the Bernards Inn was a paradigm of professionalism, responsiveness, and friendliness. The staff was well-versed in the traditional components of a ceremony and reception, but was also willing to make adjustments to make the day unique. Planning meetings with staff made the whole wedding planning process easier, and, on the wedding day, our every whim was catered to--truly a treat. The food was absolutely excellent (a priority for us) in both the way it was presented and in taste. And, of course, the setting is very classy--it was just what we wanted.

Sent on 12/12/2010

Daniele · Married on 05/16/2017

Atmosphere is relaxed, yet elegant. Food was absolutely delicious. All guests loved it!

Sent on 05/28/2017

Hector · Married on 09/16/2017

The presentation of the buffet was very, very nice. The quality of the food was very high and the meal was delicious.
    I would ask (as an enhancement to the service) that Andrea introduces the staff to the host of the event and ensure that the host is well satisfied throughout the event.

Sent on 10/26/2017

Radhika · Married on 10/25/2008

3.5

For a casual fun affair, the silver/wine cellar downstairs is perfect. Lauren, who came on after my initial contact with the Bernards Inn is absolutely wonderful to work with and very helpful.

Sent on 12/13/2010

David · Married on 10/04/2014

3.8
      3.5

Our son had his wedding ceremony and reception at the inn. The staff was incredibly helpful and professional. The venue was wonderful.
    The food was very well prepared and they had an excellent selection of hors d'ouvres. The entree's were delicious.
    The brunch was more than adequate and had a great variety of choices.
    My only observation was that there was way too much food offered during the cocktail hour and the brunch. I am concerned that there was lots of food wasted. I think the occasion would have been just as memorable and you could probably save a lot of money by having more reasonably sized offerings.
    This may have had something to do with what my son wanted but i think it behoves you to guide people so that there is not so much wastage.
    All in all the venue was fantastic and I would certainly recommend The Bernards Inn to anyone planning a wedding.

Sent on 10/06/2014

Christine · Married on 01/25/2017

3.6
      3.5

Andrea and the staff were very friendly. Andrea was quick to respond. The invoice we received was wrong twice and we had a mishap during our meeting (champagne toast not there)

We used the facility for a corporate meeting and hotel stay.

Sent on 04/25/2017
  • Gen

Genevieve · Married on 06/02/2019

1.0

The most awful experience...

Several months ago I had my wedding at the Bernards Inn. It has taken me this long to be able to calmly put into words the absolutely horrendous and appalling way we were treated by the Bernards Inn staff from start to finish throughout the process of working with them. I would like to emphasize the fact that my review is geared towards the Events staff only... as the hotel staff, catering/serving staff, were phenomenal and provided exceptional service the times I dealt with them.
    The majority of my complaints are based around the fact that the staff is overall disorganized, unprofessional, and often just plain rude. Throughout the whole process of working with them, I felt like a second-class citizen because our wedding wasn't as expensive as most of the weddings they host. But in fact, upon our first visit at the Bernards Inn, when I saw the prices my husband and I flat out said from the start "we can't afford this" and started to get up to leave. However, the staff persuaded us to stay, and said it was no problem for them to work with our budget. We gave them our budget from the start, and they had every right to allow us to leave when we said their venue looked too pricey for us (which now, I wish we had). Beyond that, the various staff members are constantly contradicting each other. I actually feel like my wedding would've been less work if I had coordinated everything on my own, than dealt with them. I spent countless hours correcting their errors, being told "we can't do that, we never said that!" although I know they clearly had in the past. It was like nothing was ever a guarantee unless it was in writing in the contract... and even then, they STILL went back on their word numerous times!
    We were literally never given a correct updated contract on the first try. Every time a Bernards Inn employee revised the contract, even just to update something simple, I would have to go over the contract with a fine-tooth comb to make sure there weren't other one-sided changes made by them and/or intrinsic inconsistencies in the contract (such as listing multiple different "final payment" dates) which, every single time, there were. I once emailed simply asking "does the price listed on page 3 include the cost of hors d'oeuvres or is that just the entrees?" and the response I received was an update the entire contract, adding an open bar and pastries, and raising the cost by $4,000. (?) Another thing is that throughout the entire process, the contract said that the bar tab would be paid after the event, but 2 weeks before the wedding, they unilaterally edited the fine print to say that the bar tab would be paid along with the final balance, without telling me that this change had been made. Non-alcoholic beverages were also never mentioned or listed in the contract. Then 5 weeks before the wedding, they mentioned that I should “remember” that soda and juice cost $4 per glass (and they intended to bill us for that.
    Another huge thing they went back on that was in the contract, is the bridal attendant that is supposed to assist you throughout your wedding day. This is something that is included in the wedding package, that we were being charged for. Well guess what? There was no bridal attendant on the day of my wedding. The morning of the wedding, no one showed up in my room to help me out. My mom went looking for the coordinator and asked where my attendant was, and they then informed my mom that I wouldn't have a bridal attendant. Since having a bridal attendant is part of the wedding package, we paid for this service that we were not given, and the staff just brushed it off like it was no big deal that there was no bridal attendant. My mom had to rush around the entire day acting as a bridal attendant instead of enjoying the wedding herself.
    Some other miscellaneous things, that are some (but not nearly close to all) of the things they did wrong:
    -When we booked our wedding, they told us they could provide us with a gluten free/dairy free cake no problem (per my allergies... which, their supposed ability to accommodate these allergies is one of the main reasons we booked our wedding here). Several months after paying our deposit, the Bernards Inn baker said he had never done that before but he could "try."
    -We had all 20 rooms blocked for our guests. We had booked the bridal suite for ourselves, for 3 nights. It wasn't just blocked, it was already booked and in the system. The Bernards Inn called me 2 separate times to ask me if we would give up the bridal suite for the couple getting married the night before us (not just another room, she asked for OUR ROOM that we had already booked), and tried to guilt me by saying "they will have nowhere else to stay." I eventually caved by saying they could give that couple a different suite in the Bernards Inn.
    -When we arrived at the rehearsal, there was no one there to help us out. We finally got someone to assist us, but he got the processional order wrong even though it was right in front of him on a piece of paper, directed people to the wrong sides of the room, and was basically just rushing us through the entire thing. I ended up having to run the rehearsal myself (even though I have no idea how to run a rehearsal) and was rushed by him by the ENTIRE TIME--even though we were told explicitly that we could use the ballroom until 4pm and we were out by 3:45.
    -They would not let people into the ballroom on the morning of our wedding. They acted like it was our fault for telling our guests to arrive "too early" but the ceremony was set to start at noon and people were arriving between 11:30 and 11:45 which is completely normal--and actually, telling our guests to arrive 15-30 minutes early was something that the Bernards Inn staff had previously told us that we HAD to do, as they told us repeatedly that they would be CLOSING the ballroom doors at EXACTLY noon to start our ceremony. The staff continued to refuse to let people into the ballroom even when my mom asked repeatedly for her to open the doors. Our guests were just idling in the lobby for almost a half hour, and my mom had to go up and down several times asking them to open the doors, and the Bernards Inn staff just kept refusing to do it. We have no idea why.
    -We were told that someone would be there to MC the day of our wedding. I had gone over with them REPEATEDLY that we would be doing our grand entrance into the reception, then sitting down and having toasts done, then eating, then doing our first dance, and then opening up the dance floor to everyone else. After doing our grand entrance, the MC then announces that we will be doing our first dance. I turned to him and started shaking my head because this was NOT the order we wanted. He just continued to announce it. My husband and I were then forced to do our first dance before we were ready, and since we were so caught off-guard and not ready, it completely ruined what should have been a beautiful and special moment for us.
    -Bernards Inn staff basically crashed our cake cutting. They was trying to show us how to cut the cake, but I explained to him that I already knew what to do, as our cake baker had showed me how to properly cut it. After repeatedly asking them to please leave us to cut the cake on our own, they kept stepping back in to "help" and the video of our cake cutting is entirely ruined by them continuously stepping into the shot, and me having to repeatedly tell them to please stop because we wanted to do it on our own.
    I am so beyond upset by this horrendous experience, and I am utterly shocked and appalled by the perpetually rude, condescending, and unprofessional way we were treated by multiple members of the staff of what we had always assumed to be such a fine establishment. In the months leading up to my wedding I kept saying I couldn't wait for my wedding to be over so I could be done dealing with the Bernards Inn, and I am still fuming with the fact that so much of  my wedding experience was ruined with the stress from the rude and unprofessional behavior from this staff.
    It is so disappointing that such a beautiful venue with such wonderful staff in other departments could be brought down in this way by the Events team.

Sent on 10/09/2019