The 1824 House Reviews

25 | Waitsfield, VT

25 Reviews for The 1824 House

Katie · Married on 09/23/2017

If I could give more than 5 stars for the 1824 House, I absolutely would. I honestly cannot say enough good things about this wedding venue and all of the amazing people behind the scenes that make it happen. My husband and I came across the 1824 House while driving through Waitsfield, Vermont. It was a cold, rainy late November day and even then we completely fell in love with the beauty of the property. That being said, you can only imagine how beautiful it is the rest of the year! The property is immaculate and the inn itself is so charming and gorgeous. Also, how often do you find a wedding venue where you can knock off the ceremony site, reception site, caterer, accommodations, and linens all in one without compromising one bit on quality? The 1824 House honestly is the entire package. Hallie and the rest of the team (Occasions Catering, the Linen Shop, the innkeepers at the 1824 House) are a dream to work with! They are so responsive, friendly and welcoming. I must have sent Hallie a million emails leading up to the day of the wedding, and every time she was so accommodating! I knew that the day of our wedding would be incredible with all of their help, but Hallie and her team really went above and beyond our wildest dreams. Hallie even got me a glass of wine after the ceremony! The food, the linens, the service, I can go on and on, everything was absolutely perfect. I honestly cannot say enough good things about this venue and the people involved. Don't waste your time and money on a venue that only cares about how much money you are going to spend. Everyone at the 1824 House truly makes you feel welcome, special, and cared for. THANK YOU so much for making our wedding day so absolutely perfect.

Sent on 10/09/2017

Marielle · Married on 10/01/2016

1824 House hosted and coordinated the wedding of our dreams. We knew from the beginning this venue had the look and feel we wanted for our wedding day. We were hooked once we saw the grounds and variety of settings for our wedding day. Our entire bridal party stayed at the Inn and staying on site allowed us to soak in the wonderful memories over the entire weekend. Hallie, Connie, and the team are very experienced, responded to our inquiries in a timely manner, and were just fabulous to work with. The day of our wedding went so smoothly from start to finish. Everything came together wonderfully and we, as bride and groom, had the time of our life.

Sent on 05/06/2017

Claire · Married on 08/13/2016

My husband and I recently got married at the 1824 House and were beyond happy! When you book this property you are getting so much more than a wedding venue - you are getting a home in which to entertain friends and family for a weekend!

As a wedding venue it was perfect. The barn was lovely and the tent out back really allowed us to have a separate space for dinner. We were able to set up lawn games in the front and there was plenty to keep everyone entertained! Unfortunately, our wedding had pretty bad weather (raining and 96% humidity) but there were plenty of spots for people to keep dry and have fun while doing it. It's such a beautiful property and the Vermont backdrop created our dream wedding. We also had such a lovely stay at the Inn - the breakfasts and snacks were delicious, we were made to feel very welcome, and our two dogs were completely doted upon.

The staff was also really great. The Innkeeper Gwen served as a day-of wedding planner making sure that we stayed on schedule and everything got done (I didn't realize this was part of our stay, but it was such a welcome surprise!) The catering staff were all very professional and everyone remained very flexible to accommodate the unfortunate weather.

I would recommend this venue to anyone who really wants to feel like they are getting married at home but with the conveniences of a wedding venue!

Sent on 09/21/2016

We got married at the 1824 House in October 2015 and had the most wonderful weekend possible. From the moment we arrived, we loved having the inn for our immediate friends and family. It felt like our home, and it made last minute arrangements so much more relaxed and easy. Plus, they made breakfast and homemade cookies each day, and everything was delicious. This is to say, staying at the inn itself for the weekend was really a wonderful experience and augmented the entire weekend.

The actual wedding was everything I could have hoped for, and that is due in no small part to the 1824 House. We planned everything from afar, as this was a destination wedding, and so choosing the 1824 House was probably the best choice we made. From the moment we booked them, everything else fell into place so quickly. They have wonderful relationships with other vendors, who are familiar with the venue, and who they work with regularly, so everything was seamless. And it's beyond beautiful. I cannot say enough positive things about the grounds, the incredible barn that hit the perfect spot of being rustic without being too rough, the bonfire, multiple locations for incredible photos, I could go on and on. And the food was also phenomenal. I've had multiple people tell me it's the best wedding food they've had, and the little details they put into the service (e.g. leaves served with our apple crumble and ice cream) went above and beyond. I loved every moment of our wedding at the 1824 House, and I only hope that other brides get the same wonderful experience that I had. - Charlene & John

Sent on 03/15/2016

Brienne · Married on 09/26/2015

We truly had an amazing experience working with the 1824 House for our September wedding. My husband and I looked at dozens of venues in the Mad River Valley, however we chose the 1824 house for it's beautiful location, friendly staff, and affordable pricing. Although were were not pressured into using the vendors recommended by the 1824 House, they were able to find us a wonderful local florist as well as an amazing catering/linen company. They made the inn feel like a home by opening their doors to all of our family and friends for the entirety of our wedding weekend. The inn has beautiful and unique rooms that were able to accommodate the majority of our wedding party and immediate family (which included our dog!). The daily breakfasts were delicious and they accommodated all food allergies/requests from the bridal party. Although the day itself was as blur, all of our guests left telling us the food was amazing, the venue was beautiful, and it was an amazing party! We 100% recommend the 1824 House!

Sent on 03/07/2016

Melissa · Married on 08/29/2015

Our wedding at 1824 House was picture perfect. We had so much flexibility in our vision and the staff is super laid back and helpful.
    Food from Occasions catering was delicious. People are talking about it non stop. We got lucky with perfect weather but I felt good about our rain plan options too. We felt prepared and ready to party going into the weekend.

Lots of planning and back and forth over email but when you're planning a wedding remotely it's the easiest way to keep track of it all. Book your wedding here! You won't regret it. Thanks Ladies, it's been a pleasure working with you. Kind of sad it's over.

PS- the mini chicken and waffles were a hit!

Sent on 09/13/2015

Julia · Married on 07/11/2015

Everyone was incredibly helpful making the wedding planning very smooth and surprisingly not at all stressful. The venue itself is gorgeous and everything (food, service, etc.) was amazing!

Sent on 07/16/2015

Nicole · Married on 09/27/2014

The inn, the barn and the grounds were all beautiful with a spectacular view of the fall foliage. Emily & Matt were most welcoming and accommodating and the meals they prepared were wonderful! Our guests who stayed at the inn for the weekend of our wedding all raved about their experience and felt it was a very special part of our celebration. The barn proved to be a perfect location for our reception and the staff were all phenomenal!

Sent on 11/06/2014

Setta · Married on 08/09/2014

We had both our ceremony and reception at the 1824 House. We live in Connecticut so it was not easy to get there so I was worried that the process would be difficult and complicated. Thankfully everyone who works for the 1824 House was very helpful and accommodating. The planning process could not have been better and they made our special day run smoothly.

Sent on 03/07/2016

Kate · Married on 07/12/2014

We had the most wonderful time at the 1824 House. Our wedding was so much fun and the food and exceeded our expectations. We were able to stay at the inn for most of the week leading up to the big day and had such a great time with Innkeepers Matt and Emily. We were ready to move in. We were so grateful to plan with the staff at Occasions catering; Connie, Hallie and Paige. They were extremely organized, professional and kind. From the very beginning, we knew we didn't have to worry about anything. It was a relief because some of the planning aspects can be a bit challenging. Despite a few glitches on our end and a late start, the staff was able to make the day run smoothly. Our guests raved about the venue, friendly staff and fantastic food. We are so grateful to the 1824 House and Occasions Catering for making our day so special and would like to say "Thank You"! We will be back again.

Sent on 11/26/2014

Danielle · Married on 08/24/2013

WOW, I cannot say enough about my experience at the 1824 House. My fiance and I live in PA, but selected Vermont as our wedding destination as he is originally from Montpelier and still has a lot of family and friends there. Knowing little about Vermont and being so far away, it could have been a challenge for me to plan. However, after reading reviews and talking to Sarah and Greg at the 1824 House, I chose it sight unseen!

This special venue gives you the opportunity to fill their 8 beautiful rooms with your friends and family. The house is essentially yours, you can play lawn games, sit around the bon fire, swim in their swimming hole and explore the town of Waitsfield. The breakfasts and snacks made by Sarah are amazing and ingredients come from all of the surrounding farms. And Greg keeps the property, 11 acres of it, looking spectacular. When it is time for the wedding, you have the opportunity to be married on top of the hill looking over the entire valley. And dance the night away in their perfectly sized barn. Choose this spot!! And enjoy like we did :)

Sent on 10/02/2013

Ashley · Married on 08/25/2012

We just had our wedding at the 1824 House on August 25. The 1824 House was the perfect setting and Emily and crew were amazing. The breakfasts were DELICIOUS and the beds were incredibly comfortable. I absolutely loved every second of my stay and would 1824 House to everyone. Leading up to the wedding, Hallie was incredibly helpful in planning every detail. Guests loved the food, drinks and setting. It was perfect. Get married there!

Sent on 10/09/2012

Laurie · Married on 06/10/2012

Emily Mendell - the innkeeper/event planner - did an unbelievable job of making our dreams a reality. This was a destination wedding and Emily was able to convert the pictures and ideas that I sent via email into a wedding day that took my breath away. Not only did she take care of every last detail the day of the ceremony, she also took care of my guests that stayed at the inn. I can't praise her enough!!

Sent on 06/27/2012

Laurie · Married on 06/10/2012

From start to finish - working with the 1824 House to plan my destination wedding could not have been easier. At our first meeting we choose our ceremony site, dinner service style and menu offerings. Everything else was conducted via email and the occasional follow-up phone call. It could not have been easier - which I cannot underscore enough as I was planning the wedding from 6 hours away.

The weekend of the wedding went off without a hitch - my guests were warmly welcomed by the staff. The style and decor of the bed and breakfast coordinated with the "Rustic Elegance" theme of the wedding. And the entire wedding event - ceremony and reception went EVEN BETTER than I could have planned. Every detail was thought of, down to the menu items served with the care and love that it took to grow the ingredients.

I simply cannot say enough wonderful things about th 1824 House. My wedding was dream come true and I have them to thank for that.

Thank you!!!

Sent on 08/03/2012

Laurie and Scott,

Thank you for your kind words and glowing review. It was a pleasure to work with you. Your families kept us entertained all weekend long! Thanks again.

Barbara · Married on 07/23/2011

Fantastic location for your wedding, the property is gorgeous and the Barn needs little decorating, candles and some flowers, it’s beautiful. The Inn is close to the Barn, great for your wedding party and guests. All our guests had breakfast together in the dining room in the morning, they loved it!
    The team worked well with all the other vendors, florist, baker, DJ, musicians, rental company and wedding planner. Our wedding planner gushed over their great facility and service.

Sent on 11/28/2011

Kristen · Married on 08/05/2017

What a perfect place for a casual summer wedding reception! Beautiful inn and grounds and both the catering company and innkeepers were fun, helpful, flexible, and super easy to work with. Can't thank them all enough for helping us celebrate our marriage!

Sent on 08/17/2017

Holly · Married on 08/08/2015

If you are looking for a friendly, inviting, and positively gorgeous Vermont wedding setting, you've found it in 1824 House! My husband and I fell in love with this venue a year ago when we met the wonderful innkeeper Emily who made us feel right at home, and that feeling of welcoming continued right on through our special day two weeks ago. Flexible, generous and kind, the current substitute innkeeper Stacy kept up that warm family feel -- sharing her personal inner-tubes and showing us the best spot to relax and raft on the river, and crafting the most adorable "minion" pancake for my nephew's 4th birthday which was the day after our wedding. Our guests fell just as in love with the inn, its gorgeous barn, and even the hilltop ceremony site over the course of our wedding too. We could not be happier with this stunning venue and all the kind people who surround it!

Sent on 08/22/2015

Danielle · Married on 09/20/2014

The 1824 House couldn't have been a more beautiful venue to have your wedding and the staff was incredibly helpful and professional. Our wedding day was perfect and it wouldn't have been nearly as beautiful without the help of the staff.

Sent on 11/09/2014

Our rehearsal dinner event unfolded beautifully after one face-to-face planning session and several emails. The setting was beautiful in the old barn with fine linens and table ware, flowers and lots of votives. Events flowed smoothly from the cocktail hour with an array of cheeses and dips to the planned menu, which was served impeccably. We stayed on afterwards and welcomed other guests invited to a welcoming party with bar and snacks. Staff was nothing but accommodating in all my requests and responsive to phone and email inquiries. We would highly recommend Occasions Catering and the 1824 House for any like event.

Sent on 10/09/2012

Grace · Married on 10/27/2018

95 Person Wedding

The 1824 House helped us plan a dream come true wedding. I was a very DIY bride, including making my own wedding cake, designing all my table decor, and dreaming up a last minute indoor altar with candles/boxes, and the 1824 House was more than supportive the whole time! My husband and I also included Lithuanian traditions throughout our day, including smashing plates on an iron table saw in the middle of our cocktail hour, and the 1824 House made the transitions graceful and seamless. We had dreamed of an outdoor ceremony, but classic Vermont we had got hit with a Nor’easter on our wedding with about 3” of snow! Hallie and Connie moved our 100 person ceremony inside without any stress on our part, and created the most beautiful intimate of ceremonies. They work with you every step of the planning, and were completely transparent about financial aspects as well, which made us feel 1000x more comfortable working with them as opposed to other venues we looked at! We can’t say enough great things about this venue, they helped us make the best day of our lives a reality!

Sent on 11/05/2018

The 1824 House's reply:

Oh Grace, Thank you for your kind reviews! We were of course concerned about the snow and sorry because we knew an outdoor ceremony was a priority for you. In the end, opening those big barn doors and having the snow falling behind you while you were still inside was the best of both worlds! I kept waiting for Bing Crosby to walk in...if you haven't seen A White Christmas, check it out and you'll know what I mean.
    You were the model bride in so many ways!
    Best to you and Cameron,
    Connie, Hallie, Emily and team

4.2
      3.5

The location was beautiful and staff were very accommodating and understanding. Our food came from their catering service (Occasions) as well, it was really delicious. We got a lot of complements from the guests on the food, dome told us they were jealous that the food at their wedding wasn't was good. I do wish they we more responsive to questions and not just emailing me back when they needed me to pay a bill. But overall they did a great job and we wouldn't change a thing about our wedding.

Sent on 01/13/2015

Shanon · Married on 05/26/2012

4.2

The 1824 House Inn made my Wedding and truly amazing event. Emily the Innkeeper was fantastic and was great at helping to organize everything for the weekend of the wedding. The food was fantastic and the venue in the heart of Vermont just can't be beat. I loved the ceremony site on top of the hill with panoramic views of the Mad River Valley.
    All of my guests were exclaiming all night and even months later about how beautiful the Wedding was and it was due to the amazing venue that we picked.

Sent on 08/03/2012

Jana · Married on 08/06/2011

3.5

Working with 1824 for our wedding allowed us to put a lot of our own touches into the wedding. We were able to select a ceremony site which was across the road and it was just beautiful. Additionally we were able to bring our handmade bag-o boards, and signs. The Inn was ours for the weekend and served as the "girl's house". The food was great and it felt like we were at home for the weekend. Unfortunately the bed I slept in was not at all comfortable. That said the room was beautiful and all in all it was a spectacular wedding weekend!

Sent on 12/11/2011
  • Pamela

Pamela · Married on 10/08/2016

3.6
      3.0

My overall experience with 1824 House was a pretty positive one. We had the best day of our lives and everything went off without a hitch, and we couldn't be more pleased with that aspect. My only advice is that you make sure you go over every single charge in heavy detail and make sure that your estimate is what it is beforehand so that you are not overwhelmingly surprised afterwards. I felt that charges for lots of things were just not relayed to me in any way and the spreadsheet for my estimate was also not adding up correctly and neither them nor we discovered it until after the wedding was over and we were held fully accountable for any mistakes made. Most of the people that we worked with were behind accommodating and helpful, I only had a few instances where I felt I was not being listened to. I do recommend them as long as you are extremely on top of your finances and make sure that everything is discussed in depth beforehand. Several thousand dollars different than originally planned is not an easy thing for newlyweds to handle!

Sent on 11/26/2016

The 1824 House's reply:

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent event. We are grateful for your fond memories of your wedding day. Our top priority is your happiness and we are deeply saddened by this error.

In regards to your spreadsheet – we want you to know this has never happened to us before. We like our clients to have a full understanding of the costs up front. We take full responsibility for the oversight on your estimate and are quite embarrassed about the error. As you know, we are a family run business running the 1824 House, Occasions Catering and the Linen Shop. Your catering coordinator is no longer with our company and we have implemented new policies to double check the financial calculations to make sure this never happens again. We certainly apologize if you felt we weren’t listening – our goal is to give more than you expect and we will address this with staff for future events.

Congratulations once again and we wish you many years of happiness.

Sincerely,