Sweet Thing - Black Orchid Reviews

48 | Waldorf, MD

48 Reviews for Sweet Thing - Black Orchid

Michelle · Married on 06/08/2019

Fantastic cake! It showed up on time, just like I'd imagined it. The cake was moist and not too sweet, since I'm not a huge fan of "cake" in general. I've had several pieces since the wedding, and we did freeze the top layer, since we'd had enough cake for 150 people but only ended up having 110. I can't wait for our anniversary so that we can get another "top" for us to share! Very worth it!

Sent on 04/25/2012

Dykelia · Married on 10/08/2016

Im so update I didnt get to taste more of the cake I got.... I will say from my guest who ate the cake AND took it with them, I know they enjoyed it. The piece I did try was amazing... She was so helpful and flexible.

Sent on 11/02/2016

Melissa · Married on 05/16/2014

Melanie is absolutely wonderful!!! She worked to get us exactly what we wanted and was incredibly reasonably priced. She even dealt with the last minute discovery of stairs at our venue that made delivery less than ideal! She is incredibly sweet and professional and, most importantly, makes wonderfully delicious cakes. Everyone raved about how great our cake tasted and even we were shocked that it was even better than the tasting! We loved working with STBO and will definitely continue to be customers long into our marriage! :)

Sent on 05/26/2014

Latoya · Married on 04/05/2014

STBO made our day the best! The flowers were beautiful and the cupcake cake was delicious! Thank you!

LaToya and Michael

Sent on 04/16/2014

Janet · Married on 12/28/2013

What a fantastic find! Melanie created a beautiful and delicious cake for our daughter's wedding. We had 3 weeks to get everything together during the holiday rush, and Melanie accommodated us without hesitation. The cake was both beautiful and delicious, and delivery was on time to the venue. The customer service was phenomenal. Melanie is a true professional, very calm while allowing her fun personality and love for creation shine through.

Sent on 01/02/2014

The service was great! I couldn't have asked for a better tasting and gorgous cake that they provided me with! We had a little hicup at the wedding regarding the top tier, but they are making that right for me. No big deal. But they were amazing, showed up on time and made a beautiful cake. Even before the wedding and the tasting was a great experience. I would recommend them! Delicious!

Sent on 12/21/2013

Stefanie · Married on 10/19/2013

Melanie runs an IMMACULATE business. I had the most beautiful and tasty cake and she sat down with me so we could design a cake together. She let me look through the book and condense some different elements from the designs in the book. I had a very tight budget and she worked with me to find the perfect cake within my price range. I wish there was another star because she was wonderful from the start and she has crazy talent for making unique cakes. Also, I originally had another vendor contracted for my cake and he had a personal situation at the last minute, Melanie did all of this for me and I truly truly could not have been happier with her service!!!

Sent on 10/22/2013

Marisa · Married on 10/13/2013

We worked with Melanie and her team on day of coordination services. Day of coordination is a bit misleading, because we met with her at the very beginning of planning and in the weeks leading up to the wedding to make sure all of the details were hashed out. It made such a difference in how smoothly the day went. We had initially planned for an outdoor ceremony, but after a week of rain, we had to move it inside. Melanie and her team adapted without batting an eye and helped coordinate all of the vendors and guests. They were very warm and friendly and helped us take care of last minute fires, like a stain on a bridesmaid's dress that they helped get out right before the ceremony started. They helped to make our day so fun and easy and I would definitely recommend them to other brides!

Sent on 11/02/2013

Michelle · Married on 09/29/2013

Our dream wedding could not have been possible without Melanie's event planning. Everyone told us that something would go wrong and to shrug it off. Melanie and her team made sure that we didn't know if something went wrong because they made it their priority to handle it. We had a 200 person wedding, and I could not have felt more comfortable or ready for the event with Melanie by my side. Melanie went above and beyond to make our day truly special. The cake was beautiful and the decorations were gorgeous. Hiring Sweet Thing Black Orchid is one of the best decisions you can make. They are trustworthy, easy to work with and extremely creative. We would recommend Sweet Thing Black Orchid 100 times over. Thank you so much Melanie and team!

Sent on 10/14/2013

We were out of town and trying to plan a wedding in Washington, DC. Melanie worked with us to ship our cake samples to our homes so we could taste the cakes and decide which one would be the best. The cake arrived at the reception and looked great and tasted great too!

Sent on 09/26/2013

Melanie was great! Our cupcakes were on time, beautiful and tasted delicious! I forgot to get a cake topper for our cake stand and it was only 1 week before the wedding so Melanie improvised and I was right to trust her completely. She produced a topper for us and it was Amazing! Thank You

Sent on 08/27/2013

Alpa · Married on 07/27/2013

Melanie did a fantastic job with everything. She was timely, put up our mandap, and the centerpieces and my bouquet were gorgeous. I sent Melanie pics via Pinterest of my vision and she duplicated it exactly.

Sent on 09/06/2013

Soyini · Married on 06/15/2013

Upon our first meeting with Melanie of Sweet Thing Black Orchid, we knew that we were making the right selection to have them do our wedding cake. She described all of the options for us, and brought samples for us to try. We designed our own cake and they were very responsive to our needs and changes. On the day of the wedding, the cake arrived on-time and their staff provided the set-up of the gorgeous cake! We were extremely pleased with how the cake looked and tasted. Our guests continue to ask us where we got the cake and we do not hesitate to tell them, "Sweet Thing Black Orchid!" Thank you so much for making our special day that much more special.
    Mr. & Mrs. Brian and Soyini (Taylor) Walton

Sent on 07/11/2013
  • Nicole

Nicole · Married on 05/25/2013

The cake at the rehearsal dinner and reception were both amazing! They looked great it was hard to want to cut into them, but it was well worth it! I would only comment about making sure you keep in contact and double check everything before hand so everyone is on the same page. We wanted buttercream frosting, but got fondant instead, but it was the best fondant I tasted (and we had a lot of cake tastings)!

Sent on 05/27/2013

Sweet Thing - Black Orchid's reply:

Thank you Nicole. The two of your were a complete pleasure to work with. We are working on the communication....thanks for the constructive input! We wish you both many years of happiness together.

April · Married on 09/02/2012

There are not enough stars to give! I absolutely LOVED Melanie and Sweet Thing - Black Orchid. She was FABULOUS! From the very first time my mom and I met her, we fell in love with her warm personality and infectious smile, we knew right away that we wanted her to do the flowers for the wedding - even before we go the quote!
    Melanie was so wonderful to work with. She was incredibly patient and really took the time to listen to what I wanted (and to help me figure out what I wanted when I didn't know) and she really worked with our budget. She came up with beautiful substitutions and great creative ideas to help get the look I wanted while working within my budget. When, after our first meeting, I completely changed my mind about what I wanted, Melanie met with us a second time and went through it all again. She was wonderful.
    The day of the wedding Melanie went far above and beyond, even helping to move chairs for the ceremony (which she did not have to do)! When the flower I had wanted for my hair was too heavy, she quickly made a new option. She stayed all the way through to the start of the ceremony making sure everything was perfect. She was so incredibly helpful, I really can't say enough good things! I want to have another wedding just so I can work with Melanie again!

Melanie also made the "groom's cake" that we had at the rehearsal dinner as a surprise for my husband. It was a cake in the shape of a football helmet from his alma mater. I seriously think it may have been his favorite part of the weekend. The cake looked great and tasted great too! Next time I need a fancy cake, I know who to call!

Sent on 10/03/2012

Lauren · Married on 09/01/2012

Melanie is such a wonderful person and business owner. She was right on point with having the flowers and cakes delivered on time and even made a change to the plans at the last minute to have my bouquet and bridesmaids bouquets delivered to the hotel I was getting ready at. Everything was beautiful!

Sent on 09/05/2012

Jennifer · Married on 11/12/2011

That cake was delicious and beautiful! It looked so pretty we didn't want to mess it up by cutting it but we did and wore some of it on our noses!

Sent on 11/29/2011

Sweet Thing - Black Orchid's reply:

Thank you Jenni & Boston! I so glad your were pleased with your cake....we have fun making it for you. Wishing you two the best....forever!
    -Melanie & Team STBO

Nicole · Married on 08/13/2011

Melanie was phenominal. She patiently worked with us through all of our changes to create a wonderful cake and beautiful flowers for our wedding. She worked with our budget to make our dream wedding a reality. She provided beautiful flowers at an affordable price without sacrifing the quality of the product. We received several complinents on our cake and our flowers. We opted for fake flowers but they looked amazingly real. I would work with Melanie again anytime.

Sent on 09/20/2011

Sweet Thing - Black Orchid's reply:

Thanks you two. Your where both such a pleasure to work with. Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of your special day. Wishing you love and happiness forever.

Maja · Married on 08/05/2011

I am so glad I decided to have a coordinator. Melanie and the team made my wedding day run smoothly and stress free. I am so glad I found her and once I did it was no question I was going to hire her. The flowers were amazing and she works with your budget if you have one. I also have referred some friends to Melanie because I was that pleased.

Sent on 09/03/2011

Sweet Thing - Black Orchid's reply:

Thanks so much Maja! We really enjoyed working with you. Your wedding was beautiful, well planned and elegant. It was our pleasure to work with you both, along with your wonderful friends and family. Love and happiness always!!

Amy · Married on 05/07/2011

We loved Melanie!! We hired her for day-of coordination and we couldn't have pulled off the wedding day without her and her team. Melanie met with us twice before the wedding, attended the rehearsal, and received countless emails and phone calls from me regarding vendors and logistics. She always got back to me right away. On the day of the wedding she made the trains run on time. She was calm and on the ball and her team was so helpful...always offering to do something or get something. I would recommend Melanie to anyone and highly recommend if you're thinking about saving a little money by doing the coordinating yourself the day of the wedding - DON'T - you'll be glad she was there so you can relax and enjoy your wedding day.

Sent on 06/28/2011

Sweet Thing - Black Orchid's reply:

Amy, thank you so much. It was truly my pleasure. You and Cliff are a fantastic couple and you were awesome to work with. My team and I enjoyed your beautiful wedding and are thankful to have been a part of it. Here's to a lifetime of happiness to you both.
  • RYAN

Ryan · Married on 04/27/2011

Where to start with this wonderful company… I had my wedding in April of 2011 and I first starting working with STBO in Oct of 2010. I found the company through Wedding Wire. When I had my first interaction with STBO a lady named Melanie picked up the phone & I had asked if she can design a cake for my wedding, she said "Ok, When would you like to meet?" At that time, my schedule was pretty crazy so, Melanie met me late the next evening. When my husband & I met with Melanie that night she had blown us out of the water with her smile, amazing personality, professionalism and her amazing pricing. As time as gone by, I explained to Melanie that I am shopping around… Everywhere I went, I just kept thinking about the amazing customer service that Melanie had provided along with her smile. After about 10 different cake tastings I called Melanie and told her I wanted to go with STBO. After a few more meetings not only did Melanie design my wedding cake but she made all the wedding favors, designed the wedding location with decor, and the most important part, her coordination the day of the wedding - She insured that there was no negative impact on my husband & I and Melanie and her team made the day run smoothly. I just wanted to send a BIG Thanks to Melanie and all of her team members at STBO for making our day as special as I could ever have imagined it.

Sent on 06/14/2011

Sweet Thing - Black Orchid's reply:

RYAN & DOMINIC...where to begin with you two? We had soooo much fun coordinating your wedding and just watching the two of you enjoy your friends and family. Thank you so much for allowing us to be a part of your super special day!!!! Love and Happiness forever.

Jamie · Married on 09/25/2010

Melanie from Sweet Thing Black Orchid was absolutely wonderful. She provided my husband's groom's cake for our wedding. From start to finish, she was professional, friendly, and easy to work with. From the moment we met her, we knew that she was the perfect person to make our groom's cake. She offered to come into the city we live in to set up our initial meeting. She came fully prepared with a sketchpad and samples of her delicious cakes. As we told her what we envisioned, she listened to us and made very helpful suggestions (ex: I would have never thought about having a decorative cake board). One of the things that I really liked about her was that she didn't push us to sign a contract with her on the spot. After we decided to go with her company, Melanie was quick to send us all the information we needed and she was always easy to get in touch with. She made us a stunning cake which everybody oohed and ahhed about at the reception. We went with a milk chocolate cake with milk chocolate frosting and it was beyond delicious. I would refer anyone who needs a cake to Sweet Thing Black Orchid. It was a great experience from start to finish.

Sent on 09/29/2010

Sweet Thing - Black Orchid's reply:

Thank you Jamie! It was our pleasure. As I told the crew about your "M" cake story, we all wished we could have been there. Thank you for the opportunity and we're wishing the two of you the happiest life together.

Brie · Married on 08/08/2010

I honestly can't say enough wonderful things about Sweet Thing Black Orchid. We hired them for day-of wedding coordination and they did all of our bouquets, corsages, and boutonnieres. From the second we met Melanie, we knew we were in great hands. She worked with us to come up with flower arrangements that not only fit within our tight budget, but that were exactly what we had pictured for the big day. In the weeks leading up to the wedding, Melanie sat down with us to get every single detail in order, provided much needed advice and referrals, and was able to keep us calm when all the details of the wedding day were becoming overwhelming. On the day of the wedding, Melanie and her team seemed to be everywhere at once, getting everything set up (absolutely perfectly!) at both the ceremony and reception locations, and helping to get the bridal party ready and keep everyone on track with our time table. The entire wedding day went off without a hitch, we didn't have to worry about a single thing and were able to completely enjoy our wedding day, and we have Melanie and STBO to thank for it. I think my husband put it best when at the end of the night he told her that we felt like we were robbing her because of all STBO did for us at such an amazingly reasonable price. :) Many thanks to Melanie and her team for making our special day absolutely perfect!

Sent on 08/19/2010

Virginia · Married on 06/26/2010

Sweet Black Orchid, under the guidance of Melanie Nwosu, were supremely organized, efficient and personable. Ms. Nwosu managed our wedding party of 20 and handled every imaginable detail on the day of the day of the wedding. Her personal care and attention made us feel relaxed and able to enjoy our special day

Sent on 07/19/2010

Sweet Thing - Black Orchid's reply:

To our bride and groom from heaven...Thank you so much. We truly enjoyed working with you both, along with your friends and family (what an awesome bunch). We are honored to have been a part of your beautiful wedding day.

Candice · Married on 05/29/2010

Melanie and her team were wonderful to work with!!! They delivered the most tasty and moist red velvet cake my family has ever tasted, and my dad knows red velvet! :) She was very detailed oriented and it showed in her work. At our initial meeting, she was sweet and professional and her cake was displayed beautifully, even for small samples of cake! My family was very impressed. I would work with Melanie again and again for future special ocassions!

Sent on 07/06/2010

Sweet Thing - Black Orchid's reply:

Thank you Candice! Your cake idea was simply beautiful and we enjoyed executing it. Here's to a beautiful life together with your new hubby. Thank you for allowing us to be part of your special day.