Swartz Catering Reviews

31 | Somerville, MA

31 Reviews for Swartz Catering

Erik · Married on 10/06/2012

Working with Swartz might be the best decision we made for our wedding. Utterly professional, friendly, responsive and warm, manager Sue Shapiro was a blessing throughout the entire process. The food was incredible--it was actually better at the event than it was at the tasting, and the tasting was phenomenal--and the service was even better.

According to venue staff, the day started out looking like a disaster: workmen had left the event room in disarray (like, with only a partially-done FLOOR), and rentals were delivered to the wrong location, etc. But they said Swartz stepped up to the challenge and wrestled everything into shape. The venue staff actually sought me out during the evening expressly to tell me how wonderful Sue and the team were; they were so, so impressed.

Plus, our venue was two floors, and moving 130 people up and down levels for different parts of the evening, and dealing with an awkward kitchen situation, seems like it would have resulted in a natural hiccup or two and we wouldn't have been surprised at all, or laid blame. But nope. Perfect. And they made sure my husband and I had something to eat all night, too, which I really appreciated.

Regarding value: They're certainly not "cheap," but they're completely in line with other quotes we got in the area, and I don't regret a single penny of the investment. Simply amazing to work with, with outstanding restaurant-quality food and presentation. Sue also more or less doubled as our event planner in a lot of respects, and could not have been more patient with or kinder to us the entire time.

I wish I ran events on a regular basis just so I could give them more business--seriously. Read their Yelp reviews, too; lots of good details there.

Sent on 10/17/2012

C · Married on 10/11/2009

Choosing Swartz Catering was one of the best decisions my fiance and I made in our wedding planning. The had great options and were extremely flexible and receptive to new ideas. In addition to the food being incredible, the staff was truly superior in their professionalism and standards. I've never planned an event where I felt so supported and confident in those putting it all together. They were so much more than a caterer.

Sent on 11/13/2009
  • W

weddingUser.firstName · Married on 08/20/2008

This was the 3rd event that Swartz catering has done for me. They are terrific and Howard is wonderful. I would recommend them (and have) again and again.

Sent on 05/19/2018

Prashant · Married on 10/25/2014

Great food and good people to work with.

Sent on 11/07/2014

Rachel · Married on 08/21/2011

Howard Swartz Catering was recommended to us, and we are so glad that we used them. Howard Swartz was professional, very well organized, with an unmatched attention to detail. He made the process so easy, designed a menu just for us based on our theme, and his food was absolutely delicious! He made sure the appetizers were brought down to where family photos were being taken and had food delivered to our sweetheart table 10 minutes before everyone else got served - ensuring we got to eat (and even bringing us plates of desserts later on). We got so many compliments on the food, his staff's professionalism, and the excellent bartender. We could have been happier, and certainly recommend him.

Sent on 09/05/2011

Mara · Married on 09/29/2018

3.0

I'll start with pros: Sue is wonderful, very professional and very well organized down to small details. Very knowledgeable about both food and weddings in general. The deserts were very good, especially the carrot cake.

They have a great reputation and we expected the food to be outstanding We really thought we were in great hands, but in the end we were a bit disappointed by a few things. There were two things that disappointed me in particular--the entrees were not great--the vegetarian dish was bland and overly potato oriented as opposed to eggplant and tomatoes we expected, the steak had an odd tasting rub on it that was a too sweet. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but as a foodie, I was bummed. Some guests liked the swordfish, but a few friends were honest that the food was just OK. I would recommend doing a tasting (I think you have to pay 20 dollars) so we didn't do one, but if you go with them, taste what you are ordering to make sure it's worth it.

Next issue: most of the servers were wonderful, very professional. There was one server/bartender who completely snapped at me when I took to long to pick a drink, and then snapped at one of my friends who tried to calm him down. He was just generally rude and unpleasant. I know catering is a hard job, and served for many years myself, but that was just really disappointing.

Overall, I wish I could give them better reviews--I am guessing my experience was not typical as all of there other reviews are great.

Sent on 10/05/2018