Swan Harbor Farm Reviews

Swan Harbor Farm 1
Swan Harbor Farm 2

Shannon · Married on 08/13/2011

2.0

Karen and her team were amazing. It poured on our wedding day so having a plan B was essential. Even though the wedding weather was not what we had hoped the venue was still beautiful. Our guests could not believe that an outdoor rainy wedding could be so nice! I strongly recommend using Swan Harbor! :-)

Sent on 08/22/2011
  • Laborday Bride 09

Kelly · Married on 09/06/2009

2.0

The Swan Harbor Farm location is beautiful. The staff is always helpful and they day of my wedding they couldn't have been more helpful. Their rules are strict and strictly adhered to, but that didn't affect the outcome of my wedding in any way. I would highly recommend SHF to any bride & groom looking for the perfect outdoor wedding location!

Sent on 09/14/2009

Tai · Married on 09/03/2009

3.0

I agree with many of the other comments. The place is absolutely beautiful. We could not have asked for a better location. There is no bending the rules so do not bother. The staff was friendly and we enjoyed getting ready in the house even my 80 year old grandmother.

Sent on 10/14/2009

Tina · Married on 08/14/2009

3.5

This site speaks for itself! It is absolutely gorgeous! The ability to have the dressing rooms, ceremony location and reception location all in the same place is amazing! We got so many compliments about the venue! Plus the reasonable price is a huge bonus!

Sent on 08/18/2009

Sarah · Married on 09/15/2007

2.0

Swan Harbor Farm was a beautiful place and I was pleased at how clean and manicured the premises was for my wedding. The only complaint I have is that the staff was seen on the porch of the house smoking while the guests were enjoying the cocktail hour. This was unprofessional and not to mention against the no-smoking rules posted. However, all in all the quality of service and value of Swan Harbor Farm made it worth while. We booked the place for the whole day and I'm glad we did as it took away some of the pressure of setting up and breaking down in a small amount of time.

Sent on 01/29/2008

3.0

Great Location, Amazing water views, house and tent. Very impressive. When first looking at sites I thought that the rental fee was fair, however to be able to have all vendors set up in 1.5 hours seemed tuff, and I didn't want things to be rushed So we went with a double booking. A bit more than we were looking to spend but it worked out. My only recommendation would be to tell brides that have over 200 guests that they might want to get some portable bathrooms. We had people waiting in line alot for the bathrooms. There are 5 or 6 in the house and one wasn't working that day.

Sent on 05/06/2013

Sarah · Married on 05/06/2017

3.5

Swan Harbor is such a beautiful venue and provides many options for ceremony locations. The house on the property is well maintained and full of history. It is a county government owned property, so there are some restrictions that may not apply to other venues. Friendly and helpful staff too!

Sent on 06/04/2017

3.0

I received endless compliments about this venue and it's beauty. The tent fit my 160 guests comfortably and the scenery was so beautiful. They keep their grounds pristine! The house is old, but it is very charming. As for the bathrooms- I can't speak on that as I didn't need to use them. They are very strict about their rules due to it being a county park. There were fishermen leaving during my reception and I spotted them on the path (every though I was told that groundsmen would keep visitors out of sight). Cindy was a blessing to work with and super responsive. I never saw or met the "hostess" that came with the venue, and we didn't utilize the golf cart due to timing. I didn't do a first look so the time frame was very short- and we even added the extra hour. We have the property from 530-1am (setup and cleanup included in that frame), so having a ceremony and reception gets super tight if you don't add the extra hour. Doing the double booking was out of the questions financially. Overall, I am so happy to have had my picturesque wedding at SHF ebcause there are plenty of pretty spots for pictures, I just wish we had more time!

Sent on 08/07/2015
  • Wanda

Wanda · Married on 06/21/2013

3.0

The price is high for a public facility and does not include chairs and table but, if beauty is what you want, you will definitely pay for it.

Sent on 06/30/2013

3.0

Swan Harbor Farm is a beautiful venue and the staff is easy and enjoyable to work with. It is a county-owned facility and has a set of strict rules that have to be followed and requires a security deposit on top of a hefty event fee. The beauty and ease of working with the staff make up for the detailed rules and fees. One piece of advice - bring your bug spray.

Sent on 09/07/2012

Jeanne · Married on 04/25/2009

3.0

This is a beautiful location for a wedding - we got SO many compliments, and our pictures were gorgeous. They are very particular about what you can and cannot do, but they are helpful and responsive.

Sent on 07/13/2009

Shelly · Married on 08/15/2008

3.0

The wedding coordinator, Karen, is amazing. Swan Harbor really lets you create the wedding and reception that you want (with a few restrictions because the house is a landmark and because the site is outdoors). Karen is pretty much your wedding planner. You won't need one if you go with Swan Harbor because she takes care of everything.

Sent on 11/13/2008
  • natasha

natasha · Married on 06/22/2008

2.0

Very beautiful place on the water but if you like me have issues with time, get it together before the ladies at Swan Harbor do and they will and you will pay!!

Sent on 07/11/2008

Lauren · Married on 09/23/2006

4.2

This place is truely a hidden treasure in Harford County!! My husband and I had booked another venue for our wedding until we decided to come and "check this place out". We immediately fell in love with it and cancelled our previous venue! Everything was beautiful and our guests had access to the gazebo, vineyards, and the house. We couldn't have asked for a better place to be married!

Sent on 10/14/2007

Cassandra · Married on 07/28/2018

2.5

I was very happy with my decision to book Swan Harbor Farm. Our wedding was absolutely stunning. The property was immaculate and the staff on duty during the event were polite and unobtrusive. They do not provide any services other than property rental and are strict about their rental rules. However, I was glad that I chose to go with them because I was able to make my wedding uniquely my own and the scenery was unbeatable. I would recommend the double booking, as the time constraints of a single would have made it difficult to orchestrate decoration delivery and set up.

Sent on 08/11/2018

Dominique · Married on 05/16/2014

3.0

Swan Harbor was absolutely beautiful! We wouldn't change a thing! When my husband arrived and parked, he was scolded by the lady because she was trying to put cones out. She later realized he was the groom and apologized. Groom or guest, he should have been treated with respect.

Sent on 06/24/2014
  • Samantha

Samantha · Married on 06/30/2012

2.0

Swan Harbor was exactly what we were looking for....an outdoor ceremony, tented reception, and beautiful view of the Chesapeake Bay. It was a gorgeous wedding! Also, the coordinator was accessible quickly by phone and E-mail for any questions and was helpful in giving us ideas. However, be aware they are very strict about EVERYTHING but they are up front about it. They are very strict about what they allow and don't allow (no rose petals allowed to be thrown by our flower girl or scattered on tables was almost a deal breaker!). They have two 4-hour time slots to choose from (you can buy an extra hour)....we wanted an evening wedding but their evening time slot didn't start until 7:00, which was pretty late for older guests and they were very clear that we would be charged for any extra minutes we were there past our time, so we ended up double-booking the entire day, which was pricey (but still less expensive than some venues!), but allowed us to have our ceremony at 5:00 and have another 5 hours for our reception and have the afternoon to get ready on location. In the fee, you only get use of the property and tent. You have to pay to rent each individual chair and table and then get a caterer separately. It was a lot of work on our own and everything definitely added up, but I couldn't imagine my wedding anywhere else!

Sent on 08/11/2012

Christina · Married on 08/09/2010

2.5

When we looked at the webpage and it said weekdays started at $1700, I thought this would fit in perfect with our budget. We set up a meeting and after Karen showed us around, I fell in love with this venue. Turns out that $1700 does not include anything really, but we decided this was where we wanted to get married. All night everyone kept asking how we found it (because it is a bit off the beaten path) and everyone said how beautiful everything was. If you want an outdoor wedding and reception, this is definitely the choice.

Sent on 08/24/2010

beth · Married on 06/03/2012

2.5

We went with Swan Harbor for the beautiful view and location and have no regrets. Our wedding day was picture perfect and the weather was absolutely amazing. I had a great time working with Karen, but did find myself overwhelmed with all of the rules and expectations that come with using a county property for a wedding site. I was surprised at the limitations placed on the golf cart ride (but admittedly we had a blast on it). The price is a bit high given that all you get is a site and chairs/tables, but the beauty of the location is worth it if you can swing it and can manage with the weather anxiety!

Sent on 06/18/2012

Da · Married on 08/07/2005

3.0

The people at Swan Harbor Farm were very responsive and professional. They answered all my questions about venue and had a great idea about how I wanted my wedding to go. The grounds are beautiful and our wedding was just lovely due to the venue.

Sent on 11/04/2007

Robert · Married on 10/02/2016

3.0

Great Venue. Wedding was delightful.

Sent on 10/21/2016

Michelle · Married on 06/23/2007

3.5

Swan Harbor is an absolutely beautiful location, all my guest loved it!!! My ceremony was under a huge tree facing the water. The cocktail was in the house and on the back patio andthe reception is under a tent with a brick patio. You have access to the whole and all the grounds and everything is beautiful. The people were for the most part very helpful though they do have some very strict rules and regulations which can be a little frustrating. But everything went smoothly on my wedding which is really all I could ask for. You bring in your own caterer (who really does a lot of the work) and you have to rent the tent, tables, and chairs from them.

Sent on 07/11/2007

3.6
      2.0

The venue for a ceremony and reception is AMAZING and beautiful, however, I felt like the staff wasn't as supportive as they could be. They only allow all your vendors and family to set up 1.5 hours before. We bought some extra time and was able to do 2 hours before and it still was not enough time to set up. My mom was running around like crazy trying to get everything ready. Their 3 staff members on site did nothing to help as well.

The other problem we had was the rehearsal on the Thursday before (we did a Friday night wedding). They told us (in a very strict manner) that we only had 30 minutes and that was it because other people would be coming. We came promptly at 6:00 and were frantically trying to get done at 6:30. However, nobody else came after us and I felt like they could've let us know that we had some extra time. Also, NO ONE was there during the rehearsal. We had young children and very old grandparents that needed to use the restroom and there was no way to get into the house because everything was locked up. I felt that at least one staff member should've been there for that purpose and to make sure that everything went smoothly.

For the money you pay, the venue is great, but a little more from the staff would've been nice...

Sent on 07/24/2015

Karin · Married on 06/20/2013

3.6
      2.0

The venue was lovely and just what we wanted. it is a great space for an outdoor wedding, since it allows options for bad weather, and places for people to sit and mingle if it is too hot for them outside. also, having the grooms and bridal suites upstairs was super convenient. our only complaint was that because of "county regulations" (at least that is what we were told), we could not do certain things that we wanted. they were not able (or willing?) to work with us to help us get our elderly parents down to the water, or allow us to hang paper decorations in the tent. They also ended up charging us for an extra hour of usage because after we had gotten everything out of the house and locked up, we asked a staff person who was still there to go back in after something that had been accidentally left in the closet, so that we wouldn't have to go back the next day to get it. Yes, we were told that they were strict about the timing in the contract. You would just like to think that when you are spending thousands of dollars at a venue, that you wouldn't be charged $200 extra dollars because an employee had to take 5 min. more of their time to help you out. Other than that, we were very happy with the venue, and with Karen (our liaison).

Sent on 10/18/2013
  • Nicole

Nicole · Married on 09/01/2011

2.8
      0.0

The grounds were well maintained, we were very pleased with the view of the water. This venue was more than I wanted to spend, but it is very unique to its competition.

One of the major issues we had was the SHF staff (2 maintenance keepers and 1 house keeper) helping themselves to our food and alcoholic beverages. They openly acted as if they were invited to his affair (they must do this often). They were eating the crab dip that we (me and my now husband) didn't even get a chance to enjoy, I was mortified. They were unprofessional and it was noticed by guests and bridal party.

The house keeper did not greet our guests at any point of the evening. She is simply there to maintain the house; hopefully your guests don't mind rude pigs. The bugs were really bad, I highly recommend providing your guest with some “Off” to make their time more enjoyable.

The SHF office is not flexiable for meetings. They are only avaliable during regular working hours which was difficult to make appointments.

I have spoken to both Karen and Craig and they were NOT apologetic and didn’t seem too concerned. We would not recommend this venue to a friend.

-Very disappointed