Swan Harbor Farm Reviews

129 Reviews for Swan Harbor Farm

Swan Harbor Farm 1
Swan Harbor Farm 2

Melinda · Married on 10/22/2011

This is a beautiful location for an outdoor wedding. Our wedding was in the fall and it was amazing. I had so many comments from my guest on the venue. Getting ready inside the house was fun and had its effect. We had our ceremony outside by the big tree with the water in the background. All of our pictures turned out great. You do have to book in advance because this place books fast. We got engaged in July and had to pick our date and location within a month, there was only one full Saturday left in the month of October and it was more than a year in advance. The staff there are very professional and can recommend vendors that are familiar with their venue. That was very helpful. Tip: Choose a caterer that is very familiar with the venue, it makes things go so smoothly! Everything went perfect thanks to Swan Harbor. We had a beautiful wedding!

Sent on 11/03/2011

Brianna · Married on 10/16/2010

This place is soooo pretty!!! It does cost a lot, but I think it is worth the money. The staff that works there kept the place clean and tidy for all the guests. The water backdrop is great!! I have always loved this place and knew this is where i wanted to get married. You have to book early because they do fill up!!!!!!!!!

Sent on 11/12/2010

kteg · Married on 07/23/2010

Swan Harbor Farm is an absolutely beautiful place!!!! We were a little skeptical to book this venue initially because it was a little more than we wanted to spend on a venue, but it was WELL WORTH IT!!! The grounds are absolutely beautiful during the day and night, the dock, gazebo, tent, house and barn made for awesome pictures and memories. Our guests kept commenting on how beautiful our venue was. It was over 95 degrees on our wedding day and the heat was quickly forgotten about after seeing just how breathtaking the wedding was.

The set up of the tent is great, having the food and bar in one spot, and the dancing and tables in another. The house was a great place for people to cool off and look around. Our guests loved being able to walk around the house, on the inside and outside, as well as walk down to the water.

Karen Tegges was great to work with. She is very friendly and excited to help out any bride and her family. She was honestly the best event coordinator out of all of the reception venues we had visited. She had a lot of suggestions and recommendations and knew what she was talking about.

It was the greatest day, and the most beautiful wedding! The tent sides and ability for fans to be used in the tent make it accomodating for rain or extreme heat. I am so happy and thankful that we had our wedding at Swan Harbor. We had a great time, have beautiful memories and beautiful pictures from this venue.

Sent on 07/26/2010

Melissa · Married on 05/13/2010

Swan Harbor is a BEAUTIFUL location (which anyone who sees it will attest to) and your guests will make WONDERFUL comments for a long time to come. Swan Harbor does have some pretty strict rules (as other brides have stated) but there are reasons for all of them that make sense and they are forthright in the very beginning about them. They are all written down in the contract that must be signed so you can refer to them later as you plan your wedding. I worked with Karen Tegges who was very responsive to any and all questions throughout the planning process and made great suggestions when I became stumped. The Swan Harbor workers on the day of the wedding were available when needed, super friendly, and incognito. I would highly recommend having a ceremony and/or reception at the beautiful Swan Harbor Farm.

Sent on 05/24/2010
  • LindsayJean

Lindsay · Married on 10/25/2009

Swan Harbor Farm was the perfect location for our wedding! We wanted an outdoor wedding and I had to have a water view. Swan Harbor was a great site that had everything we wanted, and could accommodate all of our guests.

Sent on 11/25/2009

Jessica · Married on 08/29/2009

We fell in love with this place as soon as we visited. We were in search of a reasonably priced venue that we could have both the ceremony and reception in an outdoor setting, SHF fit all of our criteria and more! It really is a beautiful setting with the Chesapeake Bay being the background for your ceremony and reception. And the grounds crew there keep it looking really beautiful. There are staff members present during the event, but they are only there to be sure no rules are broken, the coordination of your event really comes from your caterer. It really is a beautiful place to get married, the whole night we kept saying to each other how beautiful everything was and that we couldn't believe we actually were getting married here. The natural beautiful scenery provides so many great places for photos. Also, one of my favorite parts of the day was looking out the window of the bridal suite down at all the guests arriving and groomsman getting ready. It's sounds silly, but we really enjoyed being able to witness this.

Things that I didn't like were that they do two weddings there every weekend day; therefore, you cannot arrive earlier than your allotted time frame, unless you pay for a double booking. So, when the bridal party arrived 15 mins. early they would not unlock the doors until 5:30 exactly (even though there was no previous wedding that day). Also, it stormed during our reception and they had to put the tent sides down, so they took the $200 for the tent sides out of our security deposit return. I can't argue because this is explicity stated in the contract, I just think it is a little ridiculous to charge that much after we already paid to rent the tent (of which the sides are already attached), just for the caterer (whom we also already paid) to zip them up.

Sent on 10/14/2009
  • O

Leann · Married on 05/31/2008

This is a gorgeous venue and worth the risk of an outdoor wedding! We had a beautiful day, and they always keep the landscape looking so nice. The workers were great and very pleasant. Our only issue was that they wouldn't let my fiance's grandmother ride in the golf cart to the water for pictures. She has issues walking and was unable to get pictures by the water with us. I think there should be certain exceptions for this case. Other than that, it was unbelievably wonderful! Karen was amazing to work with, very receptive and honest with ideas and concerns.

Sent on 06/17/2008

Bill · Married on 04/28/2018

The farm is fabulous! The views, the grounds and the house is just beautiful. We held the wedding and reception there, the wedding party got ready in the upstairs bedrooms of the house. The farm is the best wedding venue I have ever been to.

Sent on 05/12/2018

Swan Harbor Farm was a beautiful venue for our wedding reception and we and all our guests loved it. The staff were very professional and easy to work with. I would not hesitate to recommend Swan Harbor to anyone considering it, it's a jewel.

Sent on 11/13/2013

Lindsay · Married on 09/20/2013

Swan Harbor was the first place my husband and I came to when we were looking for a wedding venue and found ourselves always comparing later locations back to Swan Harbor. Nowhere was able to match the natural beauty and unique aspect of the old style home. We had to do very minimal to decorate for our ceremony considering the landscaping and floral arrangements on the grounds were immaculate. Karen was so great to work with and her experience in putting together weddings was evident as she had everything run without a hiccup. Swan Harbor will always be a special place for my husband and I!

Sent on 12/02/2013
  • Staci

Staci · Married on 06/15/2019

Amazing Place

This venue was absolutely perfect. I was everything I was looking for and more. The staff is very helpful and the price isn't bad considering most venues now days are at least $10,000. Everyone at the wedding mentioned to me how beautiful the venue was and how much fun they had.

Sent on 06/18/2019
    Swan Harbor Farm 3

Swan Harbor Farm's reply:

Thank you so much Staci! We are so happy that your wedding day was everything you dreamed of. Wishing you and Christopher a lifetime of love and happiness!

Emily · Married on 07/18/2015

3.0

Swan harbor Farms was an absolutely beautiful place to have our wedding. It is right on the Chesapeake Bay which you can walk down to along a path about a quarter-mile from the tent reception area. They were very strict on the rules since it is a state owned so you can't have any flower petals, rice, candles or things like that but it is very affordable and absolutely stunning. The house, which has restrooms and places for the bridal party to change is historic and immaculate. The gardens around the venue are so ornate you really don't need to dress up the wedding very much.

Sent on 08/19/2015

3.0

The site is a great value and Karen in the office was fantastic getting us through with her expertise and background with all the other vendors that we had. The unfortunate part was their lack of flexibility with the time to show up and time to leave. We had very few helpers and needed some assistance and advice on site.

Sent on 06/09/2014
  • User2190502 · 2+ years ago

Swan Harbor was a wonderful venue. The staff was very accommodating and helpful.

Sent on 07/22/2013

Kelly · Married on 09/18/2010

Swan Harbor was great! The weather was great which made for a great night! It is a bit expensive for the use of the tent and house, but its definitely worth a trip up there even if youre mildly considering an outdoor wedding. As the groom, the only thing I wasnt happy about was the lack of outdoor lighting for the cocktail hour and we were told there would be someone from the house directing people, and I didnt see that happening. Very small negatives compared to the amzing time we had all night! SWAN HARBOR WAS GREAT

Sent on 09/23/2010

Jenn · Married on 09/17/2009

3.0

Beautiful location and all the staff are very helpful. Like the other brides commented-there is no negotiating the rules. Also, make sure to book in advance-they fill up so quickly! I would definetly recommend this site!

Sent on 09/29/2009

Jackie · Married on 06/14/2009

I had my wedding at Swan Habor on June 14th, 2009. Leading up to that I was dealing with Karen Tegges who by the way is professional and helpful. I was so happy with the day of the wedding. Everything went perfectly. Swan Harbor is so beautiful and well kept. The grounds are breath taking and the view is to die for. I had heard in the past that the staff the day of events were hard to deal with but we didn't have any problems. They were very pleasant. I would highly recommend this venue to others and already have to a few friends. Thanks so much to everyone at Swan Habor for making our wedding such a beautiful time.

Jackie

Sent on 06/26/2009

Lori · Married on 06/04/2005

3.5

I absolutely loved getting married at Swan Harbor and if I redid my wedding I would do it exactly the same. I got married there in June and it was absolutely beautiful. The ceremony took place outside and the guests faced the beautiful water and landscaping in the background. The reception took place in the tent which was decorated beautifully. Guests could walk in and out of the gorgeous historic house, where they could sign my guest book and use the restrooms, or merely just relax in one of the cozy living rooms. It was very nice!

Sent on 10/31/2008

Mackenzie · Married on 10/03/2015

Swan Harbor Farm is a beautiful venue and comes at a great price considering all that is included! The property is beautiful year round with large tree's, a barn, a garden with fountain and not to mention the Chesapeake Bay as a backdrop! The house is lovely and a great place for guests to congregate during cocktail hour. They have 2 large tents that cover a brick paved patio for your reception which is wonderful! The staff was very helpful and I love that it is open to the public during the week so you can visit any time to get inspired or visit after the wedding to relive such an amazing day.

My only complaint would be that the house decor is a bit dated. The rooms for the bride and groom to get ready in could use a little love. Also this isn't really a complaint so much as something for you to know. Swan Harbor has a lot of rules since it is a county park. For example you cannot have sparklers or similar things for a grand exit. Just make sure to look at their list of what is and what is not allowed and you'll be good to go!

Sent on 10/19/2015

Ashley · Married on 04/26/2013

Swan Harbor Farm as the most picturesque venue for our April wedding! We couldn't have been happier with our choice. The price is perfect and you get access to the entire grounds and house. Karen was very easy to work with, although the venue is strict with certain things, as it is owned by the state. The only problems we had were 1) the landscaping on the day of. While the grass looked freshly mowed and everything was clean and near-perfect, the flowers were a bit scant in the landscaping. Also, 2) Craig (Karen's coworker) was a little cold at times when dealing with a few questions, but he means well and probably deals with a plethora of questions on the daily. Overall, you can't get any better than SHF. Highly recommended!

Sent on 06/02/2013

Alicia · Married on 10/15/2011

This site is so gorgeous. It is obvious how much time and care is put into the grounds at Swan Harbor. We had no major issues and would definetly go back to this location again. We love the old farm house and the view onto the bay. The only problems we had were: 1. the groom's suite was very hot, and we were unable to open the windows due to bees. This was solved by the guys going downstairs. 2. at the end of the day, it felt like we were being rushed out a little earlier than our contract stated because there was another wedding coming in. While we understood we were on a tight schedule, that part did kind of stink.

All in all it was a positive, fantastic experience. But make sure you book your date in advance, as it fills up quick. Also, be prepared for rules, since this is a County Owned property. Even with these quirks, the location is well worth it.

Sent on 10/26/2011
  • AlyM

Alyssa · Married on 07/02/2011

My rating is not a 5, but it doesn't mean that I didn't love the place. We only had our reception here, but we did have to book for the whole day because they only allow certain times if you do a half-day booking, which didn't work with our church wedding. They were helpful and let us know the rules and all ahead of time. The rules are firm, but they are nice.

For the value, it costs a lot more to have your wedding here than other places. It is beautiful, and there aren't many places in the area like it, but we wish it was cheaper. The only other issues we had were with meeting with them. They are only available during regular business hours, which makes it hard if you yourself are also working. I had to take off from work to finalize the plans, with not much notice, and this was a little stressful.

Overall, we loved the place and wouldn't have gone elsewhere, but there were a few things we wish we could change.

Sent on 07/06/2011
  • TrueSoulmates

Amy · Married on 05/28/2010

3.0

Swan Harbor is a very beautiful place, I love that you have the water, flowers, and lots of land. The only thing that bothered me was there was a lot of rules you had to follow by them. Karen was great to work with though. I would highly recommend it. It was little buggy so be prepared, but you couldnt beat the atomsphere!

Sent on 08/15/2010

Estelle · Married on 07/20/2007

3.0

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! Swan Harbor is definitely one of the most gorgeous places for a wedding ceremony and reception in the Baltimore/Harford County area if you are looking to have an outdoor wedding. Every detail ran smoothly from start to finish and they were very helpful and friendly when answering all of the questions we had in a timely manner. We are so glad that we decided to have our wedding there since we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful location or better service. Our wonderful wedding day ran smoothly from start to finish. The only thing that I didn't like it that they were very unflexible when it came to their set rules, ex. I wanted flower petals down the aisle, which they would not allow. However, making one small change to my vision was well worth it in the end.

Sent on 03/03/2008
  • Janell

Janell · Married on 07/20/2013

Swan Harbor was a wonderful venue for our wedding and our guests absolutely loved it. There are some strict guidelines on decorations though so if you have very specific decoration needs, I would ask first. The only thing I wished was that we could have brought the decorations the evening before the wedding instead of the day of because that was an added layer of stress.

The venue itself is absolutely beautiful and my guests loved it. They loved that they could walk around and play lawn games as well. Walking down to the water was also an amazing experience for them and dancing under the tent was beautiful! Overall wonderful value and worth the money!

Sent on 08/05/2016