Surf & Sound Events, LLC Reviews

48 | Newport News, VA

48 Reviews for Surf & Sound Events, LLC

Samantha · Married on 05/21/2017

My husband and I would highly recommend Eric! We've gotten so many compliments on the music and the lighting and were happy that he kept everyone on the dance floor the entire time! He was very professional and listened to all of our requests for both the ceremony and reception and easily went along with any changes we gave him. Definitely book Surf & Sounds for your next event!

Sent on 06/05/2017

Kylie · Married on 05/13/2017

My husband and I cannot stop talking about how much fun we had at our wedding because of this DJ. Eric throws an awesome party and is super detailed throughout the process. He ensures that he is overly prepared. He was the first vendor to arrive and had everything set up for our ceremony/reception extremely early. He's the kind of vendor you don't have to worry about on your big day, because he's got it all under control. I even had some surprises I needed him to orchestrate in my ceremony and reception, and he did all of it perfectly. I HIGHLY recommend Eric, he will take away a lot of stress and help you have the best time of your life!

Sent on 06/05/2017

Katrina · Married on 06/25/2016

Eric provided the DJ and lighting services for our wedding in June. We are so thankful that we decided to work with him! We got really lucky because all of the vendors we chose ended up being great, but he was really one of our favorite. He went above and beyond to make sure that he knew what we wanted our day to be like, and was even one of the first vendors to arrive to make sure everything was set-up in plenty of time. I really loved that he booked based on services rather than a set time limit, and this was something that I didn't find from any other DJs. He was very flexible with providing ceremony music, cocktail hour music, and then the reception all in different locations. He was a great sport in leading a German wedding dance that we didn't give him very much guidance about, he kept the schedule moving smoothly, and had everyone dancing all night. And I can't really say enough good things about the lighting! He used purple up-lighting that really took our barn venue to the next level. It intensified all of our decorations and basically made everything look so much better. I can't believe we were ever hesitant about using the purple lighting, and I am so grateful that we listened to his suggestion! Plus the spotlights on our cake and guest book were a perfect touch. He even kept the music going for an after-party while he packed up, which was one of the most fun parts of the evening for us. I think the right DJ can really make or break a reception and Eric definitely made it the best it could possibly be!

Sent on 08/27/2016

Laura · Married on 06/11/2016

Eric recently provided DJ and lighting services for my daughter's wedding in Richmond, VA. We cannot say enough about how happy we are with his services. We are still glowing about the beauty and the fun and the great party that was our reception. He was helpful and professional and fun to work with throughout the entire process. He provided a lot of reassurance during the stressful planning stage - listened to what we wanted and offered great suggestions based on his experience. He was on sight early and worked well with our venue team. The atmosphere he created with lighting was stunning. He kept our reception on schedule and made sure all our needs were met. The dance floor was never empty! He was the last to leave and went above and beyond our expectations. I highly recommend Eric for your party needs. You get way more than you pay for with him!

Sent on 07/07/2016

Erin · Married on 06/04/2016

Eric did an OUTSTANDING job on my wedding. As a wedding coordinator myself, I know the crucial importance of having someone flexible, professional, and prepared to manage sound needs and keep the reception running smoothly. (and according to schedule!) He was that, and so much more! He was by far one of the best investments we made for our wedding. (Which was outdoors, so he had his work cut out for him with an outdoor ceremony and reception.) He arrived early, set up with care, and was responsive to every special need and request we had shared prior, making the event unique, fun, and characteristically ours. Every piece was executed flawlessly, from the live performance for the first dance, to making sure to incorporate select songs we loved, to hitting every cue for entrances, recessionals, and more. Thank you, Eric! It was a joy to have you there, and we are so grateful for everything you did to make it excellent! Brides-to-be, as a fellow bride, and as a wedding coordinator, I implore you, do yourself and your special day a favor and HIRE HIM!!! ;)

Sent on 06/11/2016

Samantha · Married on 05/21/2016

I worked with Eric as a planner for a wedding recently and was so impressed with his calm professionalism. He arrived early, was very communicative, and had thoroughly reviewed all the materials sent ahead of time. He was able to simultaneously make everyone comfortable while always keeping the attention on the bride, groom and guests. I hope I get to work with him again soon.

Sent on 07/25/2017
  • Acacia

Acacia · Married on 02/26/2016

Eric was everything I could have asked for in a DJ! I was very happy with my choice to hire Surf & Sound Events for my wedding! Eric was so nice and always emailing me and asking if he could help me with anything which he definitely didn't have to do! He was also very patient with me when I was deep in a "wedding planning coma" and wasn't able to get all the details to him as quickly as I should have! He worked on me with my budget as well and I am so glad he did! We had the 007 Theme as our entry song and we wanted little dart guns to be able to shoot at the guests as a fun joke when we entered the reception. Eric actually brought Nerf guns and let us borrow theme and came up with the idea that when we entered he would try to battle us and have my husband ultimately take him down! It was a great idea and there were never any awkward pauses between songs (which I've witnessed at others weddings). I am so thankful that we hired such a helpful, funny, talented person for our wedding! Our wedding definitely wouldn't have been the same without him! He is the best!

Sent on 07/16/2016

I attended 3 wedding receptions where Eric was the DJ before I booked him for my own ceremony and reception. He facilitates a great environment that enhances the event and does not draw attention unnecessarily to himself. His work is an excellent combination of skill with sound equipment, creating the desired atmosphere, and remaining in tune with the room. I was delighted by his quick response time in business transactions, and his willingness to make our vision for the event work. My husband's strongest wish in the planning phase was for the reception to be fun and full of dancing, which thanks to Eric was absolutely a wish granted!

Sent on 01/08/2016

Priscilla · Married on 12/12/2015

Eric was the DJ at our wedding in December and he did such an amazing job!!! If you want to work with someone who is reliable, professional, hardworking and kind, you will want to use him. For our wedding, he went the extra mile beforehand to make sure he knew all of the details of the timeline for the event, what songs we wanted played or did not want played at all, and offered professional advice based off his experience that helped us out tremendously! He has a great playlist, and is very easy and flexible to work with. All of the music that was played the whole night flowed naturally and we received so many compliments at how much fun people had dancing to the music! As big dancers ourselves, my husband and I wanted to make sure that everyone had a great time dancing the night away, which definitely happened! Eric kept the dance vibes strong and the dance floor packed the entire night. He did a fantastic job!!

Sent on 01/08/2016

Erica · Married on 11/07/2015

Eric was amazing to work with! He got back with me quickly and was there for any questions I had. He helped me with the music selection and overall made my life so much less stressful during what can be such a stressful time! My guests had such a blast and the reception was perfect due to the music and beautiful up lighting! I would 100% recommend his services!

Sent on 01/09/2016

Megan · Married on 08/07/2015

We loved the work Eric did as our DJ!! He was great to work with, very accommodating, very responsive and professional!! He had a wonderful selection for dinner music at the reception and played as many of our requests as he could!! His pricing is so much more affordable than many of the other DJ's we looked at and in our mind his service was far better than many weddings we have been to. We couldn't be more pleased! We highly recommend Surf & Sound Events!!!

Sent on 08/30/2015

Kelly · Married on 08/01/2015

Eric is AWESOME!! He is professional, quick to respond to e-mails and phone calls and easy to work with. Eric has a vast music selection and everyone had a wonderful time at our wedding. I highly recommend Surf and Sound events at your reception, you will be very happy with the service.

We also ordered uplighting for our venue from Eric, it was beautiful!!

Sent on 09/03/2015

Lauren · Married on 06/05/2015

Surf and Sound Events was the perfect fit for our wedding. Eric was professional and our guests loved him! He was able to coordinate well with the venue staff when it came to timeline issues or questions. He felt out the room and adjusted the music choices accordingly. He allowed us as much or as little input as we wanted. I worked with him to create a dinner playlist - as a music lover, I wanted some input - but he took the reigns for the reception and rocked it! He managed to get family members out on the dance floor that I never expected to see out there! I would recommend him to anyone!

Sent on 06/17/2015

Jason · Married on 03/14/2015

We hired Eric to be the DJ for our wedding. He did every special request we asked and we could not have asked for a better experience. Absolutely excellent job.

Sent on 03/31/2015

Patricia · Married on 11/15/2014

Eric did the sound for my wedding reception and did a fantastic job. I gave him a list of several of our favorite songs and a little direction as far as genres, and he turned that into hours of playlists that kept our guests entertained and dancing. The uplighting looked great as well and really added to the atmosphere of the venue.

Sent on 11/30/2014

Melissa · Married on 09/13/2014

My husband found Surf and Sound on Thumbtack, and he felt Eric shared his wedding entertainment priorities. Eric was also likable and professional. He made sure the ceremony and reception music were on point, and also worked well with the band who played at the cocktail hour.

He was also very up front with his fees, which we felt were a good value. We felt doubly so after the event, when we saw the pictures and how much everyone was enjoying themselves.

He lit up the dance floor and everyone was on it for the majority of the night. We tried to meet him halfway, offering recommendations and musts, but leaving room for him to use his professional judgement. We were not disappointed. It's difficult to define Eric's style, because he adapted to us; he really listened and did not play anything on the "do not play list."

We were very pleased with the services we received, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Eric and Surf and Sound, LLC.

Sent on 10/02/2014

Beth · Married on 07/02/2017

We used Surf & Sound Events for our wedding, and it was such a great decision. They sat down with us and really got to know who we were and what kind of music and feel we wanted at our wedding. Surf & Sound Events is an experienced host who transitioned our wedding seamlessly so that we, as the couple, and the guests had a wonderful time! The guests commented on how great the music was afterwards. We highly recommend hiring them for your next event!

Sent on 08/02/2017

We found Eric on thumbtack and it turned out he knew some of the people at our wedding. It was kind of a last minute find since our earlier plan didn't work out but he met with us early and was very flexible with our space. Overall wedding went great and he created a great playlist with the music we requested. Would recommend.

Sent on 04/10/2015
  • Tracy

Tracy · Married on 08/01/2020

Professional and stress free experience

Eric was a fantastic emcee and DJ! Our guests danced the night away at our reception. Eric did a great job at reading the audience. He also provided clear expectations and his communication was organized during the planning process which took the stress away.

Sent on 09/12/2020

Lydia C. · Married on 07/20/2019

Excellent 👌

Eric catered to our song needs ie he did not play country music ;) He was flexible, professional and delivered the best possible experience! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐!

Sent on 08/17/2019

Sarah · Married on 06/10/2017

My husband and I would highly recommend Surf & Sound Events! When our previous arrangement for a DJ/sound team for our wedding fell through at the last minute, Eric of Surf & Sound really saved the day. He came highly recommended by our coordinator, and he lived up to that recommendation. Even with short notice, Eric was able to set everything up perfectly. He was very timely in communication, and was the perfect balance of professional and friendly. The sound quality was perfect, both for the ceremony and reception after. He has a great personality for MCing the night, and did an excellent job keeping everything moving smoothly, without stealing the spotlight. I honestly don't have anything negative to say about him for this review. Thanks for a great wedding!

Sent on 06/24/2017

Kayla · Married on 04/22/2018

3.5

Eric did a wonderful job asking us what we wanted and expected out of his services and gave great input as to what would help make our event successful. He was willing to do what we asked but would offer up hints that we had not thought about--such as DJ / lights set up locations, timeline information, and of course music choices. I also appreciated that his business is run with integrity and that he will not play vulgar music--you get a good feeling hiring someone with strong character and ethics. Overall, he did an awesome job doing music for our wedding, getting there early to set up, got people on the dance floor, and was easy to work with.

Sent on 05/23/2018

Sarah · Married on 07/01/2017

3.5

We loved working with Eric from Surf and Sound!!! He was totally open to our different ideas for the reception and gave helpful feedback and direction. His personality made him easy to trust. He worked well with our entire bridal party and made the evening flow seamlessly (even when we fell behind on schedule- the guests never would have noticed!). Our dance floor was crowded from the time he started and we loved celebrating with all our friends! Thanks Eric!

Sent on 07/11/2017