856 Reviews for SugarBakers Cakes

Cookies (2)
Pastries (2)
856 SugarBakers Cakes Reviews

3.4

My experience with Sugarbakers was mixed. My wedding cake was perfect. It was beautiful and everyone commented on how great it tasted. Unfortunately, the groom's cake I ordered as a suprise for my new husband was delivered cracked. It looked so bad that the caterer and wedding planner decided that it should not be displayed. I am happy to say that Sugarbakers was very professional about the problem and I was compensated for the cake. On the upside, some people did have some of the groom's cake and said that it tasted great.

Profile Picture Kenya, 12/17/10, 3 Reviews
3.4

I'm a little bummed out writing this review because I have had cake from sugarbakers, and it is always awesome. In fact, when I started planning my wedding, the only thing I knew for certain was that my cake would be made by sugarbakers. Imagine my disappointment when my cake looked very different from what I ordered, and is not as fresh tasting as it usually is. The colors were off, the swag was a skinny loop instead of the full thick swag in the demo. Its almost like someone flipped to the wrong page when making the cake.

Profile Picture Bukie, 5/8/10, 5 Reviews
3.4

We were very please with SugarBakers after our consultation, but the cake delivered was not like the cake we'd drawn up and paid for. I give them credit for the similarity of the cake to the drawing and how delicious it was, but the cake delivered was not as colorful as we'd talked about or as we had labeled it on the drawing.

Profile Picture Jennifer, 4/4/09, 5 Reviews
3.3

The cake was beautiful... but I think they used a different frosting than we chose. We had our monogram put on the side of the one of the tiers of the cake, and it was COMPLETELY off-center and very noticeable as soon as I saw the cake. But otherwise, it looked beautiful.
The staff is very nice but when it came to selecting the cake, I felt very pressured. After the fact, I realize that they were just trying to get me to make a decision but in the moment, I felt very rushed and like this was more of an obligation than an exciting part of my wedding planning. So I would say be prepared to make a quick decision when you go in for the tasting, but overall, I would recommend them.

Profile Picture Megan, 3/29/08, 5 Reviews
3.2

My cake from sugar bakers was fantastic and I would eat it a million times over. However when we walked in for our consultation the girl at the front was rude. Our consultant was very nice and took almost two hours with us to design the right cake and flavors. But then the cake maker walked in and basically said what we wanted wouldn't work and she would make us something better. This did not go over well with my husband. Unfortunately I received a call a few months later as if we had never had a consult asking me to come back in because they didn't have any idea what I wanted. In the end they did get it right but it took talking to a million people and back and forth with the same questions multiple times to do it. My cake was beautiful and tasted great but It was certainly a lot of hassle.

Profile Picture Laura, 5/20/17, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Consultations, Delivery, Setup
3.2

We used Sugar bakers for our wedding. My husband and I did a tasting a 6 months before. The cake was very good. I took my mom their about 2 months before the wedding to show her the bakery and buy a treat. They were a little rude at the counter and when i asked to look over my cake details to finalize, they seemed put out. I did finalize my cake that day with my mom. The day of the wedding...The cake was beautiful and very good, but it wasn't what we ordered at all. When I called to ask them, they said they had no other record than when i was thier with my husband the first time. they offered me a $25.00 gift certificate (cake cost $650) I was incredibly disapointed on how they handled my cake mess up. I didn't take them up on the gift card. I felt is was incredibly cheap and a slap in the face. Im not sure if I'd ever use them again. I did like my cake, my florist (flower follies, she is extrodinary!) made the cake look beautiful with fresh flowers, but i was very disappointed in the "after the wedding" conversatations with sugarbakers.
Tracy Patton, Married 9-12-09

Profile Picture tracy, 9/12/09, 4 Reviews
3.1

The cake itself was beautiful and tasted excellent! For me the largest problem was how expensive it was! There was not a lot of detail on the cake but it was still extremely pricey, also as far as timely responsiveness goes, they are not very quick if you try to reach them by email. After you drop a couple grand on a cake, you have to pay a non-refundable fee to use one of their cake stands and if it is not returned immediately you will be charged full price! I know they are supposed to be the best, but I did not have the best experience with them!

Profile Picture Patricia, 12/27/08, 5 Reviews
3.0

This company is not a nut free facilty, and they do not tell you that.
When we tasted their Smith Island vanilla cake with choclate filler, that is what it was. We were shocked to find out that what was
delivered was white cake with peanut butter filler. When I contacted them, they said that their SMith Island cake is always peanut butter filler.
There is no way you can mistake peanut butter for chocolate filler. I HAVE A GUEST WHO IS HIGHLY ALLERGIC.
THEY DO NOT INFORM YOU OF THIS PROBLEM
BEWARE OF THIS PLACE!

Profile Picture carol, 4/25/15, 4 Reviews
3.0

Cake was included with the venue. I unfortunately didnt have any time to eat the cake on the day of my wedding, but the venue provided me with the top layer. Instead of waiting for our one year, devoured the delicious cake before we left for our honeymoon.

We chose the amaretto raspberry with french buttercream.. DELICIOUS!

Profile Picture rubi, 7/12/14, 2 Reviews
3.0

I wish that I could give SugarBakers a higher rating, as their cake is delicious and reasonably priced. However, they did not give us the correct flavor of cake for more than half of our wedding cake. After our initial booking, I went to SB again to meet with a staff person to make some changes to the look of our cake, flavor and to order a grooms cake. They made all of the changes I requested but forgot about the wedding cake flavor change (from two flavors down to one). When I followed up by phone, the person who assisted me was not apologetic. They did send us a $50 gift card, which given how much was spent on the two cakes, does not seem adequate.

Great cake, fun tasting sessions (call early to get on their schedule)...would not use them again for a wedding.

Profile Picture Hilary, 9/27/08, 3 Reviews
2.9

Let me start by saying that our wedding cake was both gorgeous and delicious. I would have to say with no help from SugarBakers except for the end product...we had been warned by other reviews to expect this. Once I heard that their cakes were delicious and I knew my wedding was going to be small I went to SugarBakers and purchased cake samples...the best being the chocolate fudge cake with chocolate mousse filling. We tasted all and the chocolate was everyones favorite. I then called Sugarbakers and they said to just come in on a Saturday...so we did....it was an hour from our home.
When we arrived I was told that there were appts for the day and that no one would be able to assist me...to just order my wedding cake from the young ladies at the counter...the ones who are chatting with one another and totally uninterested in the importance of my needs. I tried but found them to be telling me that I had to decide what I needed...HELP!!!
They offered me a book of cakes but only to have who I believe to have been the owner come and ask for the book and to inform me that the book was only for appts....you told me to come in just like I was told!!!! She was rude, unhelpful, unkind, and I wanted to leave!!!
Ray asked..do you want to leave??? I loved the cake!! I would hold out to get this extremely painful experience over with. After a stir i was offered the Baker to assist me...who was kind and helpful but had an attitude after being told by the owner that I was inappropriate...what a mess.
Ray and I settled down enough to get the order placed.
We spent $500 on the cake and it was not only gorgeous but again so very delicious.!
The experience was horrific...the cake worth it!!! Just take a valium before going!!!!

Profile Picture Valerie, 1/14/11, 5 Reviews
2.9

I've had Sugarbaker's cakes before and I fell in love with them. For my wedding, I went with a simple cake, with simple designs and a monogram of our initials. As it turns out, the monogram was wrong and my maid of honor had to correct it before my husband and I were announced. On the contract it states the correct initials, and to make matters worse, the cake was delivered 3 hours before the delivery date set on the contract. After the wedding, we called Sugarbaker's and all they wanted to do was give us a free 6 inch cake for ALL the mistakes. The cakes are great, but the staff made this situation unbearable.

Profile Picture Melissa, 7/24/10, 2 Reviews
2.8

I feel oddly giving such a low review, because my cake was delicious. However, working with Sugarbakers left a bad taste in my mouth.

I got my cake through them as part of my wedding package. I didn't have any direct interaction with them, but with less than a week to go before the wedding, I got a call from my coordinator. It seems that Sugarbakers had decided (without prior warning) to charge $40(!!!!) for colored icing on my cake. I picked the cake out of their portfolio of options, and it had colored icing on the photo I selected from. At that point, it was too late too change cakes, so I had no option but to pay it.

I am sorry, but this seems shady to spring on a bride a week before, and I used to work in a bakery. $40 for colored frosting is beyond ridiculous.

Profile Picture Shauna, 6/13/14, 5 Reviews
2.6

The cake at SugarBakers tasted GREAT! However, the people on the phone were not always as courteous as I expected, in fact they were sometimes quiet rude and tried to charge me for fees that I should not be charged. Also, they forgot to send my caterer the cake tasting samples on the day of our menu tasting. Instead of offering to send them out to us, we had to come to their store front to pick them up another day. All in all, I would recommend them because the cake tasted so good, but it wasn't exactly what we ordered in terms of design (even though we picked a simple cake out of their "gallery"), and their customer service could definitely be improved upon.

Profile Picture Amber, 9/5/08, 2 Reviews
2.5

We had 2 cakes, the grooms cake was awesome! Wedding cake a bit of a let down, Tasted great! but did not look at all how we had hoped! We had a few issues with the staff traeting my daughter pooorly and some communications issues. I have done numerous wedding and this was the first for my family and I was not happy with this vendor at all. Response was slow if at all. Follow up was very bad. Our tasting was in small room and the four of us squezzed in. Can't do the day over. Lesson learned! Won't go back.

Profile Picture Susan, 5/25/12, 5 Reviews
2.2

Sorry to say I was so disappointed in the cake we got. The cake itself was so delicious, but the outside decor of the cake was nothing like we asked for. My daughter wanted one of there lovely Lace cakes and we got a bubble gum pink with appliquéd flowers that looked like a baby girl shower cake.
I was horrified to even have that cake in the pictures.

Profile Picture Karen , 9/30/12, 1 Review
2.0

The package we received was through the catering/venue company The Forum Caterer's. The cake was contracted with the venue. I did not work personal with the wedding cake company but the picture that I selected and the extra that I wanted was exactly what I got. The cake was delicious and the decor was beautiful!

Profile Picture Vanessa, 3/10/13, 6 Reviews
2.0

I cannot comment on Responsiveness, Professionalism or Flexibility. Our cake came with our catering but was baked by Sugar Bakers. It was AMAZING. All of the guests said it was the best cake they had ever eaten, let alone the best wedding cake they've ever eaten. I could not have been happier with the taste and look of the cake!

Profile Picture N, 6/9/12, 6 Reviews
2.0

We used Sugarbakers for our wedding cake because they were included in our venue’s contract. While we were impressed by the taste of the cake when we did our tasting, we found the company difficult to work with. Since we were not their direct client, they refused to talk to us unless we paid $50, which made it difficult to convey what exactly we wanted in terms of decoration. We called repeatedly in the weeks leading up to the wedding and did not get a call back. When we finally did get a chance to speak to them, they said they NEVER draw the cakes before they make them, so there was no way to know what it would look like before our wedding. All Sugarbakers does is copy their cakes from photographs... so we were forced to copy someone else’s cake and not able to change it in any way as we had hoped. Even when we asked them to base it roughly off a picture and change some of the details, they only copied the picture directly. They also wanted to charge an extra $50 at the last minute to add a few fresh flowers to each layer. Luckily our florist was cheaper and more than accommodating to the last minute addition. Unless you want a copied cake with no personalization, we do not recommend going with Sugarbakers.

Profile Picture Becky, 6/13/10, 5 Reviews
1.6

While the cake was delicious, and got great reviews, we did have to sacrifice a rude experience. After reserving a time for tasting (giving our credit card to be charged in case we did not show) - when we got to the tasting, they had no record of our appt, and had no record of the numerous conversations that we had with another employee regarding our wedding plans. We were interested in having a 'dessert buffet' instead of a large wedding cake. They could not comprehend this at our appointment and ended up being extremely rude as if we were wasting their time. After my husband and I both drove over an hour to make the appt after work. I was appalled by their customer service and professionalism. We ended up ordering several smaller cakes (several meaning 10) because they are only one of a few in the area making the Smith Island Cake. They were delicious and well received.... but still the company left a bitter taste in our mouths. I would only hope that others choosing them for their cake receive better service.

Profile Picture User1044926, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
1.3

I am INTENSELY DISAPPOINTED with this company.
Not only were we pressured into signing a contract IMMEDIATELY, they messed up my cake!! It seemed like a good deal, sign immediately and get 20% off and a free small cake, along with a free anniversary cake, but I'm not so sure anymore.
The adviser who met with us was not very helpful in designing our cake - we didn't have any ideas as to what we wanted, but knew something simple and elegant was more our style. On paper, we decided on a 3 tier cake with a simple gold monogram on the middle tier, and red ribbon that we would provide around the top and bottom tiers.
Amidst all the last minute planning, I forgot about delivering the ribbon to them, as well as the last payment. They were very kind on the phone about the payment and I managed to get my wedding coordinator the ribbon so she could take it to them ASAP. I would have preferred a reminder about those details before the last week!
So how did they mess up my cake? The monogram was a garish curly font, nothing like what we had pointed out to the adviser, and even worse, it was WRONG. The letters were correct, but the wrong letter was in the center. Thankfully none of my guests noticed day of, but we have all the pictures now, and it's embarrassing.
In the end, the cake itself tasted delicious.

Profile Picture User4607483, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
1.2

Let me start off by saying Sugar Bakers have great, moist cake. However, as a consumer, their customer service is not great. I went to my cake tasting visit the first week of March 2018. I provided a picture of how I wanted my cake to be. Not the person who we were working with, but another employee intervened into our conversation to try to persuade me to not get what I wanted. In addition, I was told that the bottom layer can only be a tall cake because of the design. However, I informed Sugar Bakers employee that I did not want a tall bottom layer and it could be made regular (which I emailed pictures after my appointment to prove this to be true). I believe they wanted me to do the tall layer to pay more. On top of that, I was quoted $12 a slice and asked to put a 50% deposit down, which I did. Well the employee came back and stated that she missed priced me after swiping my bank card, that the price of the cake would be $17 per slice and not the $12 a slice. So once questioned about what changed from the time she left the table until swiping my card. The employee stated that the decorator was not in to quote me a price. I then asked how was I quoted a price initially if the decorator would need to see. Sugar Bakers immediately refunded me my deposit of over $500 and informed me they will show the decorator my picture and then get back to me. Well we are almost 3 weeks away from my initial appointment and I have yet to hear from Sugar Bakers to follow-up with me regarding a price. I did call asking to speak with the employee who I worked with and was told was not in and they will give her my message. I am upset because I love their cakes, but this is really a bad experience for a bride to be.

Profile Picture Lakia , 9/16/18, 1 Review
0.6

If you like whipped icing this is the place to go but we are cream cheese icing family so not impressed. they did a nice job on my husband's grooms cake but didnt have a chocie but to use this vendor with hotel promo. the size of slices they send over for food tasting is horrible. not enought for the couple to get true flavor when you spend all that money!!! Go with Cakes Plus and you will be SO happy

Profile Picture Ashley, 10/26/13, 3 Reviews
0.4

We set an appointment for a tasting several weeks in advance. The week of the tasting Sugarbakers changed the appointment time back and forth between 3pm and 2pm FIVE times. This in itself was mildly annoying because every switch had to be cleared with the family members that were to accompany us.

When we arrived at 2pm the day of (the last change had been requested that morning), we were greeted and told to help ourselves to some coffee while they finished up with their previous appointments (as an aside, they were out of coffee). We sat and waited for 20 minutes during which time no one spoke another word to us. No one poked their head around the corner to reassure us that they would be finished soon... no one apologized for the wait. Nothing.

From the bits of the conversation we could hear from the ongoing appointments it did not sound as if they were wrapping up... it sounded as if they had scheduled too many appointments starting at 2pm. Some of us had taken off work to be at this appointment, and they couldn't even be bothered to apologize for the wait. Eventually we decided we didn't want to risk dealing with a company this disorganized for such an expensive and important day... and we walked out. We never even received a phone call to apologize for the scheduling mix up.

Maybe 99% of the time Sugarbakers are great. It certainly smelled nice in the shop. But after they wasted my Saturday afternoon without so much as an apology, I certainly would recommend looking elsewhere.

Profile Picture Jennifer, 5/17/14, 3 Reviews
Category: Favors & Gifts, Unique Services (Other)
0.4

Let me preface this by saying that I am sure my experience is not the norm with SugarBakers; they have been recommended by more than one person that I know. I am also relatively sure that my experience with them was an isolated incident.

My fiance left a review describing our experience with SugarBakers - I will summarize: We had an appointment scheduled for 2pm this past Saturday. The week leading up to that date (and even on the day of), they called me to reschedule for 3pm instead of 2pm. And then back to 2pm. And then to 3pm again. And finally, back to 2pm. This in and of itself is not a big deal... what is irritating is that when we arrived at the (final) appointed time, no one was prepared for us. I realize that these things happen - we are not unreasonable. We patiently waited for 20 minutes. No one said a word. We left. They never called us - for DAYS. Then when my fiance left a negative review here on Wedding Wire, they respond within minutes. I still have not received a call from them.

That is why I am irritated... not because they couldn't get their scheduling straightened out, or because they ignored us for 20 minutes when we got there, or even that they never bothered to follow up and say, "hey, sorry you have had this appointment planned for weeks and we wasted your time"... what irritates me is that they are more concerned with their public image than doing the right thing by first apologizing directly to the customer!

Profile Picture Bill, 5/17/14, 1 Review