Strathmore Reviews

Strathmore 4
Strathmore 5

Becca B. · Getting married on 01/04/2020

Perfect Venue

Beautiful venue and amazing staff. Charlene made everything so easy, and our wedding was perfect. Compliments from everyone!

Strathmore 6
    Strathmore 7
    Strathmore 8
    Sent on 05/03/2019

We had an absolutely fabulous experience at the Strathmore Mansion on 9/29/12. Our guests couldn't stop raving about how impressive and beautiful the venue was, how lovely the staff was, and especially how amazing the food was. (We didn't have a tasting beforehand, and we totally didn't need to, because the food was superb. We had a complicated menu including Italian, American, Indian, and Thai dishes, and the chef pulled it off flawlessly.) Everyone we worked with, especially Augie Bove, was incredibly professional and determined to make this an awesome event. This is certainly not an inexpensive venue, but every dollar was worth it for the quality that we received!

I also have to put in a specific plug for Augie-- he was the nicest, most wonderful person we could have worked with through the wedding process. He was constantly looking out for us to make sure that we got the best value for our money, and he was 100% forthcoming about our costs. Instead of seeing our unique menu and our open seating cocktail style reception as a difficulty, he embraced the challenge and made sure to give us an individualized experience. He was totally committed to doing exactly what we wanted, and went out of his way to help us achieve our goals. He was perfectly pleasant throughout our many changes, adjustments, and questions, and clearly knew exactly what he was doing. He stayed at our reception for quite a while to make sure that things ran smoothly. We will recommend him to everyone we know!

Sent on 11/02/2012

We found Strathmore to be an excellent venue for my ceremony and reception. The catering mgr Augie made it very simple for me to accomplish a lot at one time. The food and service were impeccable. Augie was there for every step of the process from the planning process until all the guests went home happy. Also, Kristen the rentals mgr clearly explained all the venue had to offer as well as quickly answering any questions that we had.

Sent on 09/04/2012
  • Lindsey

Lindsey · Married on 10/02/2010

Gorgeous, gorgeous venue!!! Service was excellent as well by both the event and catering staff. The food was excellent, and all of my guests raved about how wonderful our wedding was. The mansion has a lot of space available for your guests to roam around and feel comfortable. The catering staff was extremely professional, and my guests commented on how great they were. I'd recommend to any of my friends or family members.

Sent on 11/10/2010

Jodee · Married on 07/04/2010

Absolutely beautiful venue; wonderful space and so beautiful as the evening lighting changes; great people to work with; Augie is terrific; very professional and knowledgeable; listens to what you want and helps you achieve the wedding you want;

Sent on 02/11/2011

Joy · Married on 07/25/2009

I have had two experiences with Strathmore Catering and Augie Bove: the first as a guest of a dear friend at the Mansion and the second as the mother of the bride at the Music Center. Both occasions were wonderful! Our daughter and her fiance were in town to look for venues with us, one of which was the Mansion. After touring the Mansion, they looked across the parking lot at the Music Center and asked if it was possible to see it. Augie was in the middle of setting up for an event that evening but graciously offered to show us around and answer all our questions. We all fell in love with the site and Augie!

In the months before the wedding he was always responsive immediately to calls and understanding when I felt the need to have just one more look at the venue to visualize table placement, dressing rooms, a place for the babysitter, etc. By the time that day arrived, I was certain Augie had everything under control and the day would be perfect.....and it was.

The food was exceptional as was the service. From the waiters passing hors d'oeurves during the cocktail hour to the seated dinner, the professionalism of the staff was apparent. As for the food, we were told by so many guests how impressed they were. This was decidedly not your typical banquet dinner.

To summarize, if I had another daughter and could afford to do this again :-), Strathmore and Augie would definitely be my first and only choice!

Sent on 09/09/2009

Rachel · Married on 06/07/2009

The exclusive caterer for Strathmore is Restaurant Associates. Augie, the catering manager, did a fantastic job planning and implementing the event. He is extremely organized and detail-oriented, just like me, which made it both easy and a pleasure to work with him. He responded quickly and thoroughly to our tons of questions, requests, and emails over the year. He provided honest feedback and gave us food and rental recommendations. He was flexible with menu/rental changes and requests. We went to two group tastings, one of which was a large reunion for everyone who had ever been married at Strathmore Mansion or the Music Center.

Everything went very smoothly the day of thanks to him and his staff of waiters, butlers, bartenders, etc. Waiters brought us water, wine, and a tray of the appetizers during cocktail hour while we were still taking photos. They also were sure to serve us a sampling of everything from the buffet before anyone else went to the buffet.

We got dozens of compliments on how good the food was, which can be rare with wedding food! I even was told by a couple people how they noticed how on top of things Augie was and how he smoothly directed tables to the buffet.

Sent on 06/25/2009

Patricia · Married on 07/12/2008

Everyone at Strathmore and at Restaurant Associates is unbelievable to work with. They made my every wish possible and it turned out to be a beautiful magical event.

Sent on 02/05/2009

Lori · Married on 05/20/2012

The Mansion was beautiful and elegant - and the garden was perfect for the outdoor ceremony. We liked having all the different rooms with tables for our guests. Augie from Restaurant Associates was terrific - and the food was great. We had many comments saying that this was the most beautiful wedding ever:)

Sent on 06/13/2012

Sent on 09/03/2012

Heidi · Married on 06/04/2011

We loved the space at Strathmore Mansion-perfect location for a spring wedding. Augie helped us coordinate everything for our reception and he was amazing to work with. He offered opinions when needed and was never pushy-always calm, flexible, responsive and organized. Him and the staff truly made the entire reception come together and was so kind to all of our vendors.

We had so many compliments on the food and the service. It far exceeded my expectations by a long shot. Augie and his staff really go out of their way to make sure you're getting the most for your money.

I would definitely recommend any couple thinking about getting married in the DMV to work with with Augie/Strathmore-

Sent on 07/16/2011

Bethany · Married on 01/03/2009

We held our ceremony and reception at the Music Center at Strathmore and the experience was wonderful. While it was a bit expensive, it certainly was not among the highest-priced locations when you are trying to find space for over 200 people. The space is beautiful and provides many options for the logistics of your event, and I particularly liked it because it was something different than your typical hotel ballroom. The location has an exclusive contract with Restaurant Associates catering, who not only provided delicious food and great service at the event, but who also helped us plan the layout of the room, including making great suggestions for the linens, dance floor, etc. Although they said it hadn't been done before, when we requested to have our ceremony and reception in the same room (and have it flipped during cocktail hour), they made it happen. They even rented screens to hide the reception tables that they had set up ahead of time at the back of the room. Augie, the head of catering, was very understanding and responsive during the entire process. The only downside is that they do not offer personalized tastings. They offer public tastings twice a year, which my parents attended, but which we couldn't make because we live outside the state. Augie did help us pick the menu based on what he knows to be crowd favorites, and indeed we received many complements on the food from our guests.

Sent on 01/11/2009
  • Taniece

Taniece · Married on 08/18/2018

It was lovely working with Strathmore. We contacted them a little under 2 years prior to our wedding date and surprising enough we were able to reserve our wedding day. As we shopped for wedding venues, most venues visited only allowed for reservations closer to 12 months from the event date. We initially worked with Madeline Waters during the planning phase. In the mist of planning, Madeline was great. She provided us with the opportunity to tour the venue a number of times and answered or found answers to all of our questions. We decided to have an outdoor ceremony in front of the Strathmore Mansion and cocktail hour/reception at AMP by Strathmore. Both venues are beautiful and suited our party of 130-140 guest just fine. During the months leading to our wedding day, we contacted Strathmore numerous times to ensure the do’s and don’ts of each venue and they provided responses in a timely manner.

In addition, Strathmore had a couple of personnel changes during this time. At one point, Madeline was promoted and no longer handled both the Mansion and AMP venues. Beth Radovsky took over the AMP venue and Charlene McClelland the Mansion. Then Beth was promoted and Julianne DuBois took over the AMP venue. Despite these changes however, the level of service and professionalism remained a constant 10! Seamless! Initially we had the concern that there would be issues with knowledge transfer of our event, but we never experienced that. Beth, Julianne and Charlene stepped right in and from our planning phase up to the wedding day things went without a hinge. This speaks volumes to Strathmore’s attention to all things, their customer service, knowledge transfer, competent staff and solid processes to ensure business flows smoothly.

Our guests loved the beauty of the Mansion and grounds (it is maintained very well). In addition, the décor and space of AMP was perfect for our cocktail hour/reception.

Strathmore 9
    Strathmore 17
    Strathmore 18
    Sent on 10/13/2018

Ashley · Married on 09/24/2011

Great place to have your reception if you are looking for a mansion setting. Augie and his team at the mansion were so professional and great to work with. The food is amazing here and the guests continue to comment on the quality of the food and the uniqueness of the venue. Although there is construction currently going on near the mansion, we were oblivious to all this on the day of the wedding, and from inside the mansion no one noticed what was going on around the corner.

Sent on 12/06/2011
  • Lyss5782

Alyssa · Married on 07/10/2010

3.0

We had our reception at the Strathmore Music Center and I LOVED it. That being said, it was sometimes difficult to find someone to communicate with when there were questions or concerns. It is a little pricey ($5500 for four hours, $500 for each additional hour) but in my mind the venue really made the wedding what it was.

Sent on 08/10/2010

3.6
      3.0

Strathmore is beautiful and I could not have imagined getting married in a different place. However, I was not always thrilled with Strathmore staff. The cost of rental is quite high as well. In the beginning of our experience we had a lot of issues with their on staff caterer - Restaurant Associates. After the individual left, the new contact was good but a lot of damage was already done, such as basing a budget on the wrong information. On the day of the wedding, there were minimal problems except one big one: Air conditioning. The venue was having issues with the temperature on a quite warm day. Because of the temperature many guests were not dancing. This is the only major complaint I had. There were some issues working with people along the way, but towards the end, the contacts we had tried to make up for past staffs mistakes. And ultimately, we got married in a gorgeous location, with beautiful memories.

Sent on 10/30/2013

Laura · Married on 09/04/2010

3.6
      3.5
      2.5

Pretty much the moment I first looked at the Music Center at Strathmore I knew it was where I had to be married. It had everything I wanted - a beautiful and spacious outdoor space for a ceremony, and a unique and monumental space for a reception. From day 1 I knew I didn't want a typical hotel ballroom, but I was also turned off by some of the non-hotel venues, like older mansions, that seemed to require a broken up reception space. I wanted to have my reception in a single, dramatic room, but still have it feel unique and special. Strathmore had all of that, plus the perks of an extremely convenient location (right at a metro stop) and other convenient factors - a whole suite of dressing rooms, plenty of bathrooms, etc. As a space, I loved it, and I loved the way the event turned out - everything was managed perfectly by their event manager, Augie. He was wonderful to work with, and helped us iron out all the details of their full service venue - food, tables, linens, chairs, place settings etc. They even have a little showroom in-house with samples of a lot of the decor. However, I think the pricing reflects the fact that you have to use their in-house catering and decor. I would have liked to have the option to work with an outside caterer. My big problem with Strathmore related to the process of booking the venue, during which I worked with an employee who is no longer there. He told me they were available for a certain date, and I decided to take it, but it seemed to be taking a while to draw up the contract. Suddenly, a few weeks later, it turns out they had double booked that date. By the time he told us we could no longer have our date of choice, the entire following month had been booked up. When I first called, all of June and July had been open, now they were fully booked. I found this unacceptable, and I felt truly frustrated because despite this terrible treatment, I still loved the space and wanted to be married there.

Sent on 09/17/2012

Erica · Married on 04/04/2011

3.0

I used the Strathmore as our ceremony location only and it was beautiful. Since we had such a small guest list we were able to only have to pay for a single room rather than rent out the entire house. We had a midnight ceremony, which they were able to accomidate, but they couldn't gaunetee the space until 60 days before the event in case someone did want to rent the whole place. Still, it was wonderful having it there.

Sent on 04/20/2011

Stephen · Married on 09/02/2012

2.4
      2.0

Let us start with the good - it was a beautiful venue and the food was delicious. Our guests gave us so many compliments on the venue.

Now the bad. It's taken us a long time to write this review because it was so upsetting. The staff caused a lot of stress. First, Augie the caterer had made a mistake on the original estimate and when we figured out the mistake (off by thousands of dollars), he acknowledged the mistake but still refused to honor that price. As a result, we had to cut a lot of people off our guest list because we could no longer afford such a big guest list. Now let's get to the woman who worked for Strathmore and was stationed to be there during the event.... First, she (or the Strathmore more generally) didn't have the room ready for the Ketubah signing ceremony. When the bride explained that it was in the contract and needed to be set up immediately so we would have everything running on time, the woman (I wish I remembered her name) was rude! To the horror of all witnesses there (family and close friends), she made a sarcastic remark and rolled her eyes. It was completely unprovoked. The professional response would have simply been "I'm sorry for the mistake, we'll fix it immediately" - not eye rolling! She upset the bride so much, one of the bridesmaids had to pull the woman aside afterward and bawl her out! The final straw was that it was a heatwave, and they didn't bother to turn on the air conditioner until after the ceremony - the bride and groom (and guests) were sweating so much it was distracting from what should have been a lovely ceremony. And a minor point is that they promised to have the flower pots in the garden filled with flowers that day, and they did not. They were empty and marred the background of some of the photos. All in all, the beautiful venue was not worth the stress it caused.

Sent on 09/02/2013

Strathmore's reply:

Hello - Strathmore is distressed to read in this review that we did not meet your expectations. What you described is not typical of Strathmore’s level of customer service, and we want to assure you we will reflect on your comments as we work to improve our service to all our customers.

We are appreciative of the important feedback post some improvements we have made in the interim.

In the past year, we have undertaken a comprehensive review of our Events at Strathmore program, looking closely at how we can impact everything from communications, pricing, customer service, contracting, sales tours, training of on-site staff, and even our showroom.

The changes we are making are significant and we hope will greatly improve the experience for all our rental patrons.

In addition, we have a completely new Catering and Rentals team in place who are working to streamline the communications process and to provide an even higher level of customer assistance.

Our President will reach out to the reviewer separately via email with more information and for further discussion.

Kim · Married on 06/23/2012

2.2
      1.5
      1.0
      2.5

Sitting down to write this review has been tough to do - even something I've been putting off for a while. We picked Strathmore over many other beautiful venues because of what it offered in terms of size, parking, location close to DC, and mix of modern and rustic elements on property. Unfortunately dealing with the staff, primarily Augie, was one of the most painful experiences possible for a bride planning her own wedding. We were constantly put off by Augie saying that he was busy and we had plenty of time to focus on our own details. That should have been warning number one.

Augie often took 1-2+ weeks to get back to emails from us. He showed no sense of interest in our own event as many other vendors did. I have since figured that because clients of the Strathmore have to use Restaurant Associates, they have no emphasis on customer service or satisfaction. This is ridiculous, especially when someone is spending $25,000+ on just a venue and catering alone!

After suffering through this for approximately 10 months we still had no contract or tasting. This was even after I had to contact the Regional Manager of Restaurant Associates himself. They were also not transparent with pricing from a third party rental vendor until I asked multiple times to see the breakdown of costs (2 weeks prior to my wedding I got this). When adding $4-5,000 to a bill you should be able to decide what to include.

On our honeymoon we were hit with the final blow - Augie emailing because "our guests must have had a lot of fun" since we now had an increased charge he needed to bill us and where should he bill? Nice touch, especially less than five days after our event. After my mother sent an email with concerns stemming from the wedding itself, he just came back with more empty excuses on how him and his staff were in the right. Bottom line: there are many more flexible and beautiful locations for your wedding in the area, not just for your money but also ease of mind!

Sent on 08/21/2012