State Room: A Longwood Venue Reviews

64 | Boston, MA

64 Reviews for State Room: A Longwood Venue

Amanda · Married on 12/01/2007

The Stateroom is as glamerous and city slick as you can get in Boston. Set high atop the city with views of, well, everything, this is the venue of all venues. We wowed our guests and had a fantastic night dancing in front of the soaring windows.

Sent on 06/02/2008

3.5

The State Room has the most beautiful view of Boston. Getting married here was truly a dream come true. The food is delicious and the staff is extremely professional and helpful. Best Venue in Boston.

Thank you!

Sent on 11/03/2013

Amanda · Married on 10/10/2008

2.0

our wedding reception was absolutely amazing & even better than i ever had expected. everyone who entered the state was in awe of the views of boston. that truly set the tone for a magical night. the quality of service the night of the wedding was over the top. prior to wedding, our previous wedding coordinator at the state room decided to move on. we weren't informed of this change for some time & that is the only reason why i scored the responsiveness so low. as soon as the mistake came to their attention we received a wonderful replacement who truly made our day special. i would highly suggest this venue to anyone who wants a romantic, memorable wedding in boston.

Sent on 10/28/2008

4.2

We had our wedding cocktail hour in the City Salon, and our dinner/dancing in the Harbor Salon. For 145 people, these locations were great!

Sent on 03/21/2013

4.2

I was at the HARBORSIDE

The GOOD:
    1. I had Sarah Petermann. i remember when I was reading reviews for this vendor, many had said that their coordinator was changed in the middle. Unfortunately the same had happened to me. Up until my tastings, I worked with Erica P. I have to say she was less than impressive. It took many weeks to organize the tasting date and time, and her excuses about the chef being on a vacation (for WEEKS) started to frustrate me. I wanted to complain, but most brides keep to themselves lest they upset the coordinator. Fortuitously, I was assigned a new coordinator - Sarah Petermann. If any brides have the option of requesting I'd suggest working with her.
    2. With sarah, The response rate improved significantly. She Answered all my questions within 24 hrs and was flexible with my requests. When there was a miscommunication between Erica, Me, and Sarah, she took the initiative and cleared things up, so the transition was actually not bad at all -- it made things better for me, actually.
    3. Food was GREAT - everyone commented on how nice the food was.
    4. View was fantastic... that's what you're paying for!

BAD:
    1. Overall, this is a pricy venue.
    2. Sometimes, the flow of the things were not great -- for example the slide show started without the announcement of the band, and the screen was WAY in the corner so some of the guests couldn't see the slideshow I worked so hard on. The promised lava lamp light -- I don't' remember seeing at the reception although it was in the schematic diagram.
    3. YOu have to clean up EVERYTHING that night after the wedding.

But these are little things, and overall the reception flowed nicely, and I would recommend this venue to another bride.

Sent on 11/07/2012

Megan · Married on 08/16/2008

3.0

The StateRoom was an exquisite location for my wedding. With views of the city that can't be matched and excellent food, it had everything we were looking for. The planner that we worked with was great and the staff working the event were amazing. Only drawback was the price - it is very expensive.

Sent on 03/01/2010

Tracy · Married on 04/21/2018

3.0

Nothing beats the view! All my guests loved the food. Only problem is it’s union and some things you have to fight for. Staff is super friendly and helpful!

Sent on 05/07/2018

Jenny · Married on 05/27/2017

3.0

My wedding day at the State Room was incredible, amazing, beautiful. The venue and views are so breathtaking and I received many compliments from guests saying it was the best wedding they had ever been to. Even some our friends from New York said they had never seen a urban space or view like the State Room - it is simply unmatched. We had a lot of family and guests from abroad come in to Boston and really wanted them to have an elegant experience at our wedding, so the State Room was perfect. I was also really impressed with the quality and presentation of the food (which I first experienced at the tasting) - especially the cocktail hour hors d'oeuvre, and I can't say more good things about the State Room staff (we worked with event specialist Erica and wedding attendant Jackie) and all the little things they did, from asking how we were doing to getting us food and water while we were in between activities, and helping get us and our wedding party to our places/prepped for the flow of events. The venue is a high price point but what you get is definitely worth it.

Sent on 05/29/2017

Charlene · Married on 06/19/2010

3.0

The State Room was absolutely stunning and gave my wedding the elegant chic style I wanted. Overall, I was satisfied with the outcome. My guests were impressed by the wonderful view and tasty food. Their service on the wedding day was impeccable. I had a bridal attendant that helped me with anything I needed. The dinner service was efficient and organized. The wedding day could not have ran more smoothly, and I can only thank the State Room for that.

Besides the fact that the State Room is expensive, my main gripes with the venue are for their pre-wedding planning services. My event manager was very inconsistent in responding to my questions and requests, and she was not very on top of all the elements for the wedding.

For example, I had emailed her my ceremony music selection months before the wedding under the impression that she would forward them to the string quartet that we had booked through the State Room. Exactly one week before the wedding, I got a phone call from one of the musicians asking what my choices were. They had never received my music selections from the State Room and were trying to make sure they knew the pieces I wanted. Luckily, I had chosen classic pieces that the quartet already knew.

Another example was with our menu planning. My husband and I repeatedly told the event manager over and over again that our per person budget for food was $X, and we were extremely surprised and angry that the menu proposal came back at a price of $X+$20 per person! For our 100 person wedding, that would have been $2000 over! It was like the event manager never listened to us in the first place.

In the end, everything really turned out as perfectly as they could, but the event manager definitely caused me a lot of pain and nervousness through the planning process. I was constantly wondering whether she would be able to pull it off. Knowing now that my guests enjoyed the wedding so much, I will admit that it was probably worth the pain, just by a hair.

Sent on 07/13/2010

Victoria · Married on 04/23/2006

3.5

Gorgeous space - it was the most beautiful room in the area, and we looked at a lot! There was some confusion with the menu and different coordinators, but things worked out great in the end (the chef was wonderful and prepared a great vegan/vegetarian menu for us). I highly recommend it!

Sent on 11/01/2007

David · Married on 07/17/2004

3.6
      3.5

We used State Room for our rehearsal dinner. The dinner itself was very well done. The food was well prepared and of high quality. The staff that attended to us that night we were very responsive and professional. The highlight was definitely the view of Boston harbor which was fabulous from the particular room we had booked. We couldn't have asked for a better rehearsal dinner.

In the months leading up to the dinner, however, we had to deal with the sales staff, who were not nearly as professional as the on-site staff. The sales staff were not very quick about answering our inquiries, and they were a bit unflexible about policies such as having only a single meal choice for guests. However, once we got past these negotiations, the event went perfectly. Note that in 2004, the State Room had recently undergone a management change which may have accounted for this dichotomy. Hopefully the sales staff is better nowadays.

Sent on 04/18/2008

Emily · Married on 06/04/2016

3.2
      3.5

The venue space at the State Room is amazing. The views are incredible, the space is huge and leaves a great impression. We barely did any decorations besides flowers because it really didn't need anything extra! Our guests loved taking pictures with the Boston skyline in the background.

However, the planning and value of the place was not great. We booked our wedding date a year in advance and through out the process, ended up with three different planners because our assigned people kept leaving the company. It was frustrating because we had to keep having the first meeting and go over the same stuff. And then when you are actually trying to plan out the evening, they will charge you for everything they possibly can. They charge you ($100 in our case) per person for the tastings and then they do not let you try all of the things you are considering. We were doing six passed hor d'oeurves - but we were only allowed to try five of them. We were also torn between three of the entrees, but could only taste 2. For $100 a person, I would expect to at least be able to try everything. Besides that, you can expect to pay a premium for anything beyond the basics. Table side wine service - extra. A special cocktail - extra. Be prepared!

Lastly, the wine list was not very good. We wanted table-side wine service, so we had to buy the bottles of wine to be served at the table. We tasted probably five reds and five whites off their list - none of them were very good. Most of the bottles were $8 bottles of wine at the store, but they were charging $45-$50 per bottle. I understand venues mark up the wine, but the selection itself was just pretty terrible. I had my bridesmaids vote on the bottles in the rose, white, and red categories after tasting - and they asked "can we pick none?"

To summarize.. I would recommend the State Room just for the fact that the space was great. But just be prepared for a frustrating and expensive planning process!

Sent on 06/27/2016

Leah · Married on 05/28/2006

3.2
      3.0

Let me start by saying our wedding was wonderful. The State Room is the only extremely contemporary, chic location in Boston to host a wedding for over 100 people. There are plenty of guilded hotels to go around, but no other venues like this. It's on the 33rd floor of 60 State St. which is located in the heart of Boston, in the midst of Faneuil Hall with views that are absolutely breathtaking. Since we had lots of out of town guests the location was another great perk.

The problem with the State Room is that its service is not up to par with its stylish good looks. The State Room is an expensive venue and for what you pay your experience should be nearly flawless. Ours was not. Most of the troubles occurred throughout the planning process, with only minor problems on the day of the wedding.

CONTRACT - The initial problems occurred with drawing up the contract. Communication was atrocious. We would go over the contract, discuss all the necessary changes, receive a "so-called" updated contract only to find that they had not in fact made all of the changes agreed upon. We tried emailing changes so that there was documentation to refer to. It took at least 5 rounds before they got it right.

COORDINATOR - Following the "contract fiasco" I insisted that the individual we worked with on the contract NOT be the person I would work with to coordinate my wedding. The individual we would work with was then changed a number of times before I was introduced to an entirely new person who over the course of our planning repeatedly reminded me that my wedding was not the only one she was planning. (I'm aware of that, but when we're spending a lot of $$$ you're supposed to make me feel like it is!) While she always had a smile on her face she was somewhat difficult to work with and never did more than she had to. Communication was extremely difficult. There were a number of occasions when I had to call or email multiple times before getting a response, even as my wedding was nearing. I would also add that when it came to the schedule for the wedding day she really did NOT seem to know what she was doing. Our band was very surprised by the schedule she proposed and ultimately we deferred to them. The State Room's lack of understanding of our schedule would come back to haunt us later.

WEDDING DAY, CEREMONY - On the big day things went pretty smoothly. Our coordinator was present as promised. I would say, however, that she was NOT an expert on running ceremonies. The aisle in the Harborside room where we got married is very short and the ceremony processional was very rushed. Aside from that the ceremony went well.

WEDDING DAY, RECEPTION - At the beginning of the day we were introduced to two people who would manage the evening's event. They were excellent. They always made sure that we had what we needed and that everything was going according to plan. Suddenly, however, we realized that our coordinator had gone for the night without warning. I was shocked. I was never told that she would not be there for the entire event. Because of this, it seems, the schedule which I had carefully constructed with our band to be followed by the State Room also vanished. The band was stopped by the event manager in the middle of an upbeat dance set for us to cut our cake, etc, then a little later the band took their break and I noticed people were starting to leave. I was not happy. That said, I don't think our guests noticed and everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves.

FOOD - Aside from one highly unattractive hors d'oeuvres station the presentation was great (very organic, with wooden trays, mixed grains, flowers, etc.) We served a lot of hors d'oeuvres, they were great. For the main course we served a petit filet which was excellent and they did a fantastic job with our wedding cake which we designed. Our guests raved about the food.

NO THANK YOU!!! - After spending a whole lot of cash at this place, after our wedding day we NEVER heard from them again. Not even, "thank you for your business." At a venue that considers itself to be the best in its class I think they have no class. I also know that we are not the only ones to have an experience like this.

BOTTOM LINE - I still can't think of anywhere else in Boston that even holds a candle to this place's style and sophistication, but they've got some work to do. They need more staff and to learn the definition of both service and professionalism.

Sent on 03/11/2007
  • Robyn

Robyn · Married on 05/07/2017

3.0

The State Room is an empty canvas with a view. Use this space to create any wedding you dream of. We held our ceremony on a Sunday in the great room... and it was converted to a reception space during the cocktail hour held in the mezzanine above. Their staff is professional, attentive & supportive. The private loft allowed a quiet space for the bridal party to prepare. They worked with our wedding planner (this is not the same role as filled by the SR provided wedding coordinator!) to meet the needs of the bride and groom- and to create their nearly ideal dream wedding!
    Mixed reviews on all catering & the timing of meal course servings was a real issue... delay between salad and main course forced over 45 minutes of live music to be cut from reception.
    Extreme disappointment in wedding cake! The design promised was ignored (and while taste was wonderful)- it cannot excuse appearance. Photos were exchanged- additional cost and design creation committed. It ruined what is one of the most photographed reception moments... stay one step ahead of catering at the State Room.

Sent on 05/11/2017