Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center Reviews

Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center 5
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center 6
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center 7

Brittney · Married on 12/12/2014

Absolutely amazing! My husband and I were married here 12/12/14 and our experience was flawless! Jenny was fantastic about coordinating every last detail of our event and was even gracious enough to let me use her computer and printer when we had a placecard emergency. Our dinner was delicious (we had the Chicken Tuscany and Sicilian Pesto). Every guest complimented the food and the fantastic bar and staff. The entire staff, including the wait staff and bartenders were extemely attentive and helpful. I would recommend Starved Rock to anyone looking for the perfect venue for their wedding.

Sent on 12/13/2014

Sarah · Married on 11/02/2014

Starved Rock was the perfect venue for us. They were very helpful and nice and took care of everything we needed. The fact that they have preferred before they work with, along with a bridal show to meet all of them at made everything that much better. Everything was perfect for our special day.

Sent on 12/10/2014

Starved Rock Lodge is an outstanding location to get married!! Our sales consultant, Tiffany, was wonderful to work with! Chef Bear and the staff are absolutely amazing! Starved Rock Lodge provides 5-star service and food, at an affordable rate. I would recommend this vendor to anyone!

Sent on 11/04/2014

Anne · Married on 09/26/2014

They were wonderful. Our wedding went off without a hitch. Everything went smoothly. They worked well with our vendors.

Maryn · Married on 08/07/2014

Everything was wonderful start to finish. Our wedding coordinator Tiffany made the planning process so much less stressful and was always ten steps ahead of me! The food tasting was great and I was thrilled when the food was even better the day of if that's possible. Head chef Bear works with you and tweaked some items when we couldn't decide between one or two things. We had cupcakes made by Mo, and people are still telling me how amazing they where 4 months later. The day went so smooth (and if it didn't I had no clue). The entire banquet staff was so polite and attentive and always had smiles on their faces. The transitions through the evening where so seamless. We are so thrilled we picked Starved Rock for our special day! Everyone commented on how unique and beautiful it was. We feel we picked the perfect venue!!!

Sent on 12/11/2014

christine · Married on 07/18/2014

We had such a great experience at starved rock! Jenny was our coordinator and she was awesome! Every email and phone call were responded to quickly and they were very accomidating! The good and cake were amazing too! I would highly reccomend starved rock lodge!

Meredith · Married on 06/29/2014

The Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center is the best place to have a wedding ceremony and reception!!! The staff is very quick to respond to my calls and emails....They made sure our day was perfect!!!

Sent on 07/14/2014

Nadine · Married on 06/28/2014

The most beautiful wedding that I've ever been to. My daughter chose Starved Rock in memory of her father and it couldn't have been a more perfect place to have a summer wedding. The outdoor ceremony was breath taking and the reception hall was everything she had dreamed of. It was a perfect day and everything went without a hitch.

Amy · Married on 05/03/2014

I couldn't be any happier with Starved Rock as my wedding venue/caterer! Jenny was FABULOUS to work with- always very responsive, talked me through the process, and made sure everything went just how it was supposed to- even things I never would have thought of. The food tasting was great, I loved that it was only us and not a big group of other brides/grooms at once. We got personalized attention from both Bear and Moe (the chef and the baker) and Jenny sat with us the whole time.

The day before, day of and day after were a dream come true. Everyone at the lodge treated us like royalty and made sure things ran smoothly. I can't think of one thing that they dropped the ball on- if anything, they went above and beyond. The fact that we had up until 11am the day of the wedding to decide if we wanted the ceremony indoors or outdoors made me so much less stressed about the weather situation.

A lot of people mentioned a con is that you have to have a 2 night stay if you stay at the lodge. While this is true, I found that the majority of people loved spending the whole weekend for the wedding and took advantage of a mini getaway. The others stayed at one of the many other hotels that are in the area, and weren't bothered at all.

Sent on 05/14/2014

Kellie · Married on 05/02/2014

I could not have asked for a better place to get married at! The wedding staff was very responsive and helpful. They were easy to communicate with prior to the wedding. They handled everything so perfectly the day of the wedding. There were a few hiccups and they handled them no problem. I was able to enjoy the day and not stress! The food was delicious and the cake was beautiful! Thanks Moe! The whole experience was great!

Sent on 05/08/2014

Debbie · Married on 04/19/2014

Starved rock was a beautiful place for my daughter's wedding. Everything was handled beautifully!

Sent on 07/02/2014

Sara · Married on 02/22/2014

Beautiful place for a wedding. It was well run and organized. Margie was amazing and made me feel comfortable. The food was amazing and the service by everyone was great! They did a great job of making our day very special and a day to remember.

Sent on 04/01/2014

Carolyn · Married on 12/14/2013

Tiffany was wonderful to work with and Starved Rock was beautiful! We had a unique winter wedding thanks to her help. She was so flexible with our request, great with organization, and our rock on our wedding day making everything perfect. Starved Rock was surprisingly very affordable and a beautiful setting providing great food and a very fun unique atmosphere for our guest. We are very grateful!

Sent on 01/01/2014

Mandy · Married on 11/01/2013

Starved Rock made our wedding so simple and so easy to plan! You pick the details and they do the rest! Our wedding was flawless! I am so so grateful that we chose starved rock as our wedding location!

Alyssa · Married on 08/04/2013

Starved Rock Lodge and Conference Center is the ideal location to have your wedding and reception. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. They far exceeded my expectations. The food was outstanding - our guests are still raving about it over a year later! From beginning to end, it was the perfect venue for the perfect day.

Jennifer · Married on 11/24/2012

Our wedding was wonderful, from start to finish my wedding coordinator provided by Starved Rock was on top of things, always responded to my emails in a timely manner, and made sure our wedding ceremony and reception went off without a hitch! Even when I was frazzled before the wedding she kept everything together and helped me get through it.

Sent on 12/11/2012

Marleny · Married on 10/05/2012

The location could not have been more perfect and the team was fantastic! Every guest raved about the food. We will be going back many times for anniversaries.

Sent on 02/22/2013

My husband and I could not be more pleased with having our wedding and reception at Starved Rock State Park. At first, I must admit, we were not sure how everything would pan out seeing as Starved Rock is a State Park; let me assure you, we were blown away and so were our guests. The moment we had our tasting, we knew Starved Rock State Park was a strong competitor in wedding venues.

Our wedding coordinator, Jenny, was phenomenal. She made it possible for us to have every detail we imagined. The staff bent over backwards to make our day perfect. The baker, Mo, personalized our cutting cake, cupcakes and dessert table. Chef Bear allowed us to add a course to the menu to help follow through our theme. When we couldn't chose between twice baked potatoes and garlic mashed - he offered to make garlic mashed and then double bake them! While we were responsible for decorations, the possibilities were still endless. They set up extra tables for us, they put out the linens I brought, and even followed meticulously drawn out diagrams of where I wanted the runners laid on the table. Every detail, they were as concerned about perfection as I was – they did not cut one corner.

When we were bringing carloads of decor in the venue, if there was a staff member walking by the door, they quickly stopped and opened the door for us. Even if we were at the end of the path up to the door, there they were, standing there, waiting to open the door for us! A lot of venues you hear, “once they have your money and commitment, they downgrade their attentiveness” – NOT STARVED ROCK! In fact, as the day grows closer, they are just as committed – if not MORE – in continuing to reassure you that they are completely on board in making your day perfect.

I wish I could post every email – my anxious desire to obtain perfection on each plan – along with Jenny’s quick and understanding responses. I had to have sent her over 100 emails over the year of planning and she responded to each one as if it were the priority of her day!

My wedding plans were nothing less than meticulous, and Starved Rock State Park made sure I was able to have my Fairy Tale wedding come to life. Our guests were blown away and so were we.

I have to add – we were originally trying to find a venue in Chicago. We thought this would be “easier” and it was almost expected seeing as this is where we live. In the end, we were not really happy with the quality/price value. In fact, one venue in particular could not even guarantee that I would have a room to get ready! Starved Rock is an AMAZING value. The quality of service you receive will blow you away; the food quality will have you craving your wedding meal. Trust Starved Rock with your big day; you will be so pleased and so will your guests.

Sent on 07/31/2012

Bethany · Married on 11/06/2011

We had our rehearsal dinner, wedding, and reception at Starved Rock. The wedding ceremony and reception took place in the Great Hall. We were working with Jill and she was amazing! She listened to what we wanted and helped make our dream a reality. And the food was so good! They were very cooperative when we inquired about ingredients for guests with dietary restrictions and they made helpful recommendations. The friendly and professional staff helped ease any worries we had about our big day. This venue is absolutely beautiful with rustic charm and the overall value is fantastic. We highly recommend Starved Rock Lodge and Conference Center for your next event!

Sent on 09/11/2013

Julie · Married on 05/07/2010

Starved Rock Lodge was the perfect setting for our wedding. Jill Jacobs and her staff at the lodge are so amazing. They made it so easy. I didn't have to worry about a thing. The value you get and the options avialble are fantastic. I don't think anyone had a better time than me at my own wedding because everything was taken care of by the great staff at the lodge.

Sent on 05/28/2010

Carl · Married on 09/25/2015

Very helpful and professional

Sent on 12/10/2014

Starved Rock is a beautiful setting for an outdoor wedding. Tiffany and Jenny worked together to ensure everything ran smoothly. The cake, appetizers and dinner were perfect also. Wait staff was very attentive and courteous. Very happy with the overall service and how well it was organized. Only glitch was that the road leading to the lodge was closed that day due to downed trees. The lodge staff was unaware of this and a lot of my guests got lost because they were not familiar with the back entrance. Park staff should have notified the lodge of the road closing. Even though this was not the lodge's fault, there needs to be better communication between the park staff and the lodge. Detour signs should have been posted.

Sent on 09/14/2014

Merrill · Married on 09/05/2009

We found Starved Rock by chance and fell in love the first time that we saw it. Jenny was our planner and she was wonderful to work with. We booked about one year and 3 months in advance.

We were excited and a little nervous for the tasting, because we were unsure of the quality of food that we would be getting. All nerves were gone by the end of the tasting, we chose the Chicken Florentine and the New York Strip and had a very difficult time narrowing down to those.

Joyce the baker on site, is absolutely amazing. Not only did she help me out in a bind the day of the wedding (i forgot the ribbon for the cake) but she made an exact replica of my husbands snare drum. He is a drummer and had a custom snare drum that he absolutely loves. She got every single detail down to a T. Amazing.

The day of the wedding was perfect. We had been planning an indoor wedding for a year and a half and then the night before decided to change to an outdoor because the weather was absolutely perfect. The Starved Rock staff was perfect in getting is set up and making sure that the guests were made aware of the change.

I have three situations for giving the quality of service a 4.5 out of 5, not because the service was bad, but it is an opportunity for improvement. One, the servers were serving cake and many of the guests had yet to get their dinner plates cleared. Rather then clearing then, they just pushed the dinner plates to the center of the table and set the cake down. My husband saw this and took care of it immediately. The staff then made one swoop to clear any remaining dinner plates before serving the cake.

Two, two of the guys on staff were rolling a table after the reception was over and rolled it into one of our tall center pieces, which then took a nose dive and broke and they did not say a thing to any body. Not a huge deal, but the center pieces could have easily been moved out of the way and I would not even have mentioned it in the review if they had said something to me about it.

Third, when we booked the room for our wedding night we were not told about rooms 111, 211 & 311. Though they are on the east (older) side of the lodge, they are more spacious then the west wing kings (they do have smaller bathrooms though). We ended up finding them at the Bridal Show in January and rebooked our room immediately.

Other then the minor things that i mentioned, Starved Rock is a beautiful setting for a rustic, elegant or any other style wedding. Very affordable with good service and responsiveness to go with. I can't wait to go back on our one year anniversary!

Sent on 09/29/2009

Karie · Married on 11/14/2015

We had frequented Starved Rock for years together and it was a natural choice for the venue of our wedding. We are thrilled to have gotten married there. Working with Jenny was a pleasure. She answered all of our questions promptly and worked hard to ensure everything was in order. The food is terrific. The wedding trolley was a great addition to the day. We used it to take pictures in a canyon and it shuttled some of our guests to an off site hotel. We had many compliments from our guests on the food. The reception area is divided off from the rest of the public lodge with tall white curtains and it helped to create a cozy environment. We lucked out with the weather and had a 60 degree day in mid November to get married outside. The outdoor ceremony site is beautiful. We highly recommend Starved Rock as your wedding destination.

Sent on 12/27/2015

Missy · Married on 10/16/2015

When I started to look for a "different" kind of wedding venue (no large banquet halls, etc.), I knew I had my work cut out for me. However, as soon we saw Starved Rock, we knew this was the exact place we wanted to exchange vows. The outside ceremony site is beautiful. You will LOVE your pictures. Also, the reception area is rustic and when the sun set, it was absolutely breathtaking with the all candles and wood, etc. The food was great , per my guests (as the bride, I think I had 4 bites). The customer services was top notch! If I had a question, one of the event managers got back to me that day. I worked with Jenny who was so calm and kind. I also think that they are fair with prices and you certainly get the value for your money. We couldn't have picked a better location for our wedding. All of our guests raved about it. You will not be disappointed with Starved Rock!

Sent on 03/23/2016