Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch Reviews

Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch 5
Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch 6
Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch 7

Megan · Married on 10/27/2013

We feel so fortunate to have been married at Spruce Mountain Ranch. SMR is beyond gorgeous and was perfect for the Colorado-y wedding we wanted. The location is beautiful, as is the ranch itself. SMR is the first venue we looked at and we were sold. Besides the beauty of the venue, the other big selling point for us was our ability to bring in our homebrew for the reception. We were married on the mountainside and had our reception in Albert's Lodge. They have a great contingency plan in place in case of bad weather, but fortunately, we didn't have to use it. It provided us peace of mind, though, and we knew our wedding would be beautiful whether we were inside or out. Brides have a beautiful, charming house in which to get ready and grooms have a great cigar room. Tara was great to work with throughout the year and on the day of, Jen was also enthusiastic and fun to work with. We did not experience any problems throughout the year, or on the day of. I'm bummed we don't have any more occasions to celebrate at SMR. I would easily, and without hesitation, recommend getting married at Spruce Mountain Ranch!

Sent on 11/23/2013

On our wedding day, Colorado received 8" of snow. Spruce Mountain Ranch did not let that stop us from our perfect wedding day. They had been shoveling the grounds and made it ready to go when we arrived! Our day went smoothly thanks to the staff at Spruce Mountain Ranch!

Ashley · Married on 07/29/2011

We were absolutely thrilled and impressed from the moment we arrived (the first location we visited with no need to look any further due to the breathtaking atmosphere) at the Spruce Mountain property until the ending of our wedding reception. We enjoyed the fact that we would be renting the property for 10 hours and were able to get married where desired which met our ultimate standards of having the ceremony outdoors at the lakeside terrace - truly outstanding! We also enjoyed the fact that we were able to bring in our privately purchased liquor to decrease the overhead cost..... Our guests loved going to one location for our ceremony and reception that took place in the elegant/quintessential coloradoesque Albert's lodge!! The indoor/outdoor reception with beautiful lighting was stunning...... Many of our guests said that our wedding location was the most outstanding scenery they've ever seen!! Thank you for helping make our day so special with your beautiful accommodations! -Ashley & Matt :)

Sent on 08/30/2011

Great overall experience and beautiful location. Definitely a bit stricter because they have a list of vendors that you must use; but other than that event went smoothly and was beautiful.

Sent on 08/04/2014
  • Nora

Nora · Married on 05/25/2014

SMR is an absolutely GORGEOUS wedding venue. The scenery is beautiful and very natural, it is well maintained, romantic, and just what we were looking for. Our wedding guests thought it was unique and like no other wedding they have been to. The location is rural so transportation/logistics is a slight challenge, but so worth it. I would highly recommend it except for the rental price. I know they say you get what you pay for, but in my opinion the amount they charge for renting it for 10 hours is insane. BUT, if I had to do it over again I would. :)

Sent on 06/19/2014

Theresa · Married on 05/07/2016

We had a wonderful experience. Both of their venues are absolutely gorgeous. The staff knows what they are doing to make your event successful! Nice that the price includes tables and chairs.

Sent on 03/21/2017

Lauren · Married on 08/16/2015

3.0

My husband and I loved how easy everything was with this venue! They gave us a list of pre-approved caterers to choose from, which really helped narrow down our list. Also, knowing that the caterer has worked with the venue many times before our wedding gave us peace of mind.

Every single one of our vendors had previously worked an event at Spruce, which made coordination so simple! They even have an agreement with a fantastic hotel in the DTC to help provide hotel and transportation for out of town guests – so that was another thing that Spruce helped me cross off my list.

Sent on 01/05/2016

Spruce Mountain is magical. Tara, the events coordinator, is professional, sweet and truly understands that this is a special day. SM has ridged rules, and you just need to know that going in, but as far as the day of the event, they were more than flexible. Our issue is with their mandatory use of their audio/visual equipment through a company known as Starkey - they were awful. Just be forewarned that you have to spell everything out and then on that day, make certain someone (in charge) is double-checking. They let someone other than our wedding planner tell them not to show something and therefore, it never got shown. A huge disappointment to the bride's family.

Sent on 04/11/2014

Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch's reply:

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We no longer require Starkey Productions.

Amber · Married on 08/16/2013

3.0

We loved the venue and staff! Our wedding was gorgeous and everyone at Spruce Mountain was incredibly helpful.

tory · Married on 05/27/2013

Spruce Mountain Ranch is gorgeous. The scenery is second to none and the outdoor cocktail area is perfect. The dance floor has gorgeous lighting and the wedding director Tara is a gem to work with. It comes with a hefty price tag but my husband and I agreed once we had toured Spruce that their was nowhere else we could have imagined being married. If you are lucky enough to be married here you will likely have the delightful experience of meeting Wade who drives your guests on the shuttle bus and adds so much fun to your event!!

Sent on 10/26/2013
  • User5208308 · 2+ years ago

SMR is a beautiful venue. The Ponderosa Room is super spacious and well organized. Most of my communication was through Brus and she was very responsive to all my questions. There was a coordinator there on the day of that I was not expecting, but she was wonderful in making sure everything went as planned.

The only issue we had was the power at Trey's Vista did not work and we had hired live musicians that most of the guests could not hear because of this.

It is a great place to get married, but book early! The dates fill up fast!

Sent on 06/15/2016

Nikki · Married on 05/18/2013

3.0

Everyone was fantastic and super helpful! The guests love the ranch. My only complaint was that we were not able to stay the night in the guest house. Otherwise we couldn't have been happier! :-)

Sent on 12/30/2013

Kellyn · Married on 10/06/2018

Spruce Mountain Ranch- excellent

I got married at Spruce Mountain Ranch in October of 2018. Our overall experience with them was wonderful! My only suggestion/ wish would be to allow the bride and bridal party to arrive an hour earlier to the ranch without charging for extra time. The extra hour would be so helpful in allowing makeup application, final touches, and a little relaxation before the big day begins. Everything else ran so smoothly for us that day despite a few hiccups with weather and transportation. The teams we worked with were so kind and kept my mother and myself calm! The scenery is gorgeous and the reception area (Ponderosa room) is so spacious that no one felt cramped. Overall wonderful!

Sent on 12/07/2018

I wish that the bride and groom could have stayed the night in Ruby's Cottage because the venue was just so beautiful it was hard to leave and while getting ready I with there would have been some dishes and cups in Ruby's cottage for us to use. We brought some stuff but forgot a minor item that is pretty standard in a kitchen so it would have been nice to have something there as a back up plan.

Sent on 01/05/2014

4.2

Such an incredible space! A little decoration goes a long way with the space as it's so naturally beautiful.
    The only downfall was the person I had been working with all along wasn't actually there the day of.
    I might suggest to find out who will actually be there on your big day so you can build a relationship with them.
    We had created a slideshow for cocktail hour which I put a lot of time and effort into and sent it in early to make sure it worked, someone from the venue had called me a couple days before to tell me that it was working perfectly and yet somehow on our day the person working that day said they couldn't get it to work? They didn't tell me until after cocktail hour, which was too late to do anything about. Kind of disappointing. I know it's a big space and they're busy as they hold a lot of events but I feel like if I had one main contact who was actually there the day-of....a lot of little things that went wrong could have been avoided!
    Regardless, our day was stunning and the venue had a huge part in that!

Sent on 08/25/2015
  • Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn · Married on 08/16/2019

4.2

Couldn't ask for a more beautiful venue!

We truly loved getting to know Tara and the history of Spruce Mountain Ranch. She squeezed us in for a last minute tour and we were quick to sign a contract on one of her last dates available for 2019. They do require you to work with a short list of vendors. For us, it was perfect because we are out-of-towners. It kept our vendor search easy! The facilities are next to none as far as I have seen in any wedding venue I have toured. There are multiple, beautiful options for both ceremony and reception (pending your guest count of course).

Sent on 08/28/2019

Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch's reply:

Kaitlyn, thank you for your kind review! Thank you for trusting us and choosing Spruce Mountain Ranch. We enjoyed celebrating your special day with you!

Megan · Married on 08/28/2015

3.0

Very friendly staff. Gorgeous venue with breath taking views.

Sent on 02/16/2016

3.0

Spruce Mountain Ranch in a beautiful wedding venue in an ideal location. We were looking for an outdoor mountain feel not too far from the city. Brus was so great to work with and very accommodating. We really appreciate everything they did to make our day so special.

Sent on 12/30/2013

4.2

Great venue. Extremely beautiful. The event manager wasn't as helpful an asset as I anticipated and the speakers and microphones had to be rented even though they say that they include an audio package so anticipate those extra charges. Overall we were very happy with our wedding.

Donna · Married on 06/06/2015

3.0

My only criticism would be that it was extremely warm in the bride's suite. We couldn't figure out how to turn on the ceiling fans, and when we asked your representative that day, he was unable to help us. It was not comfortable for any of the ladies to get dressed up there. Between nerves and long gowns, it was very uncomfortable. Other than that, our day was perfect.

Sent on 08/17/2015

Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch's reply:

Thank you, Donna! For the very helpful feedback. We have since put an air conditioner in Ruby's Cottage. It was a pleasure working with you and your family.

3.8
      3.5

Spruce Mountain Ranch is a beautiful location for a wedding. The natural beauty that surrounds the location speaks for itself. The foothills in the background, the rustic lodge, the spruce trees, and the cattle in the distance make it the perfect location for a Colorado themed wedding. All of the scenery around the ranch makes beautiful photos. There are so many amazing spots to take photos. It is a beautiful venue for a ceremony and reception. They even have multiple locations for the ceremony and reception to take place. I love the mountainside for the ceremony. It makes for stunning photos. A nice bonus of this venue is that you get the place to yourself on the day of your wedding (10 hour block). It is nice knowing that guest will not be seeing any other brides on your special day. The space that the bride and bridesmaids get ready in, basically a house, is gorgeous and has plenty of room. I love the dance floor at this venue. It is outside under beautiful lights. While dancing is taking place, you can have s’more at an outside fireplace. The guests at my wedding loved this. Guests were impressed by the venue. They kept talking about how the location was beautiful. My only complaint about this venue is that we had a few miscommunications during the wedding day. Therefore, my suggestion would to make sure to clarify things with them multiply times, including the day of. I would also demand to meet the representative from Spruce Mountain Ranch that will actually be in charge of the ranch the day of your wedding. The first time that I meet the person was the day of the wedding. Since I had never talked to her before, she did not know anything about our wedding. Therefore, she made decisions that went against what we wanted. Having conversations with her about our wedding before the event could have solved this. I would highly recommend this location even with the miscommunication. Spruce Mountain Ranch is a gorgeous place for a wedding.

Sent on 06/23/2013

Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch's reply:

We value your feedback. We have made some changes to our policies and staffing, to maintain our excellent rating. We now require a "professional" planner hired by our clients to handle all of the logistics of the wedding day, to ensure clear communication in executing flawless/seamless events.

3.6
      3.5

You must use peak beverage as your alcohol distributor and bar tender. We really liked spruce mountain, but peak beverages was horrible and because you HAVE to use them that makes me a little more hesitant to recommend spruce mountain.

Sent on 04/17/2016

Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch's reply:

We apologize for your experience with Peak Beverage - We have received nothing but rave reviews about their company for the past 3 years we have partnered with them. We have reached out to Peak Beverage, and they would be more than willing to speak with you to resolve any issues you may have had with them, and provide any accommodations necessary. For your convenience, the owner of Peak Beverage has provided you with his direct line. 720-722-1140 ext 200

3.6
      3.0

Spruce Mountain Ranch is a beautiful venue! We are so glad we found it after the September 2013 flood took out some of our top venues. Guests loved the ranch and it was a small getaway from the city.

The only negative experience I had with this venue is just the lack of flexibility. The require event insurance, you to use there preferred vendor list, and they require a day of coordinator (which I would recommend anyway). With everything required and the specific vendors it did get a bit expensive. Also, a few of my emails went unanswered for months.

In the end everything turned out beautiful just make sure you thoroughly read the contract before you sign!

Sent on 10/02/2014

Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch's reply:

Thank you for your valuable review. Event insurance is required by many ceremony and reception sites. Spruce Mountain has put this policy into place, to help protect our clients in the event they are held liable for property damage or bodily injury, as well for alcohol-related accidents. The cost is typically $175, and for your protection.

We only require a planner for the “day of”. You are welcome to plan your entire event on your own. However, on your wedding day, we require that
    you have a planner to perform 2 very important tasks:

1. Create your ceremony and reception time.
    2. Facilitate the day’s events. Your planner will be responsible for keeping the wedding on schedule and ensuring that all of your wedding day details go as

We have found that an event planner is imperative when executing a perfect event, which is what we want for our brides' grooms' and their families.

In regards to other vendors, for purposes of quality control, you will have the selection of 10 caterers to select from. They all vary in price, and style. We have a large list of caterers to select from, so that we are able to meet the needs, budgets, and tastes of our vast clientele. Event Rents is required for your rentals, and Peak Beverage is our required Liquor vendor. Other than that, you are welcome to select any professional vendor for your cake, dj, band, event planner, photographer, videographer, florist, etc...

Kristen · Married on 08/10/2018

3.4
      1.5

We had our wedding at SMR this August. It is a very beautiful venue and one to consider if you are going for aesthetics. If you are wanting a more flexible venue/staff/timeline, then I would suggest researching some other spots before booking SMR because others do exist with better flexibility.

SMR has a pretty strict timeline that you had to stick with (can't be on the ranch at all earlier than scheduled time unless you want to pay more $$- this was different than some prior weddings I attended where you can definitely work with the staff if ya want to start getting ready earlier or something), guests cannot leave cars overnight (again, different than some other venues I have attended- and this is important for safety since the staff states that Uber doesn't go to SMR), and you have to be completely cleaned out and ready to leave when your time is up (this led to me cleaning out the guest house where the girls got ready rather than enjoying the last dance). It's all stated in the contract/ by the staff, and so this didn't end up being a surprise by any means, we just noticed day-of how different it made the wedding feel (rigid and like a time crunch). And in hindsight, for us, we would have preferred a venue that was more flexible and invested in the guests experiences.

They have a preferred/ required vendor list which we stuck with, but I believe you can chose your own for a fee.

I had very minimal interaction with SMR but the interactions I had the staff was friendly, and if you call, they will get back to you within the day/in the evening, and they always maintained professionalism.

As far as value, this venue is pricey and if you want flexibility, the price goes up. Hindsight for us, the price is not worth the hours/experience you get, and for us, it felt you are paying for the views/ good picture background.

Sent on 09/10/2018

Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch's reply:

Thank you for your kindness in your response regarding our customer service, and commenting on the beauty of our property.
    I would like to add that Spruce Mountain offers our clients an 11 hr time block. You are welcome to select any 11 hr block you would like. One of the many compliments we receive is that the 11 hr block is more than sufficient to enjoy the property to its fullest. Many venues don’t offer this length of time. It is rare that any client needs to purchase additional hours.
    Spruce Mtn. only has 1 event a day at each of our properties. This means you get 225 acres to yourself! You don’t have to share your special day with anyone! When you come through our gates, we want you to feel relaxed and at home.
    We do not want you to miss any part of your wedding. Clean-up is done once your guests leave, and we have a property manager that will assist you with packing up your personal belongings. All the other clean-up is done by your catering team and Spruce Mtn. We don’t want you lifting a finger on your wedding day!
    Spruce Mtn is NOT an all-inclusive venue. This is done very intentionally. We think it is extremely important that you have freedom and flexibility in planning. That is why we allow you to use any photographer, videographer, florist, DJ, baker, etc. YOU chose. We give you not 1 but 8 different caterers to select from, that we have vetted to provide excellent service and food!
    In addition to allowing you choice of vendors, we also provide a tremendous amount of support. If you do not know where to start, contact our team. We will discuss your budget and style and customize a vendor list that best fits YOUR needs. We are here for you 24/7!
    We welcome you to check out our photo gallery to view the many eclectic and diverse styles of our wedding couples (from brides riding in on their horses, to a groom wanting to ride his jet-ski before his ceremony). We try to make every dream a couple has become a reality.

alexis · Married on 06/04/2017

2.0
      3.0

It was good! The venue was amazing, more disappointed with my caterer, whom was recommended by Spruce Mountain Ranch, Buffalo Gals. My family had to set up my entire wedding, leaving no time for my mother to help me get dressed, get dressed herself, enjoy the day. The caterer set my tables completely wrong, gave me paper plates, wrong color table cloths. It was a mess. Be prepared to set up and take down you're entire wedding if you're going to use Buffalo Gals. Venue was gorgeous but it's a short time slot.

Sent on 11/07/2017

Spruce Mountain Guest Ranch's reply:

Alexis, thank you for your review. I wanted to follow up on my end to address your concerns and scores. The score that surprised me was the response time score of 2. It is our policy to make sure all emails and calls are responded to within 24 hours. Customer service is very important to us. We value our couples, and want their wedding day to be all they dreamed of. After looking through the 16 email correspondences we had, we responded within hours of your email with answers to your questions. The longest response time was 1 email in which we responded within 24 hours. In regards to the time allotment, comment, we give our clients 11 consecutive hours on the property. Compared to other venues, our wedding packages includes the longest allotment of time.... We have a list of 8 caterers to chose from. We want to make sure that our clients have choice when selecting a caterer so they can find the best fit for them. If your experience with Buffalo Gals was negative, I wish we could have known earlier, so we could have been proactive in guiding you. In regards to the plastic plates, from your catering contract it looks as if you had selected plastic. If you would have liked china, this could have been included in your contract. All of our caterers will give you the choice of china or plastic based on clients specifications. I would love the opportunity to discuss the service your caterer provided to better understand the set-up. This should not have been the responsibility of your mom. We have never had a caterer not do the set-up for a wedding. I am surprised I did not hear about this sooner. A mom doing a room set-up should have been addressed by my team, your wedding planner, and or the other vendors, and communicated to me immediately, as this is unacceptable. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience so we can learn from your experience, and address any future issues moving forward.