Southern Inn Catering Reviews

View more information

• Emily
    Emily S. Married on 11/07/2020

Delicious and well priced

Great portion size, flavorful food, the passed appetizers were stunning and so delicious, main meal was so great people went to the restaurant the next day to try more of their food. And working with their team was a breeze.
    Kristin N. Married on 09/12/2020

Delightful and Delicious!

Our entire experience with Southern Inn Catering was wonderful. As soon as we saw their menu options, we knew we’d found our caterer. Choosing a quality caterer was very important to my husband and I. We wanted delicious, high-quality food without breaking our budget and that’s exactly what we got. They have options for every wedding style- appetizer and entree stations, passed hors d'oeuvres, buffet style, themed stations, etc. We originally had decided on appetizer stations but decided to go with the passed apps instead and we couldn’t have been happier. We were able to have 5 passed hors d'oeuvres, which was great because it was so hard to choose between the different options. We wanted variety and with that option we were able to have everything we wanted.
    We specifically worked with Haidyn, who was a lifesaver. She answered any and all questions we had and took the time to explain the different options and pricing and helped us make decisions that best suited our wants and needs. The rest of the catering staff was very courteous and did a great job making sure the guests were taken care of.
    The food…the tasting was one of the best days of our lives. A table full of gourmet food, all for you, who wouldn’t want that?! Some of our personal favorites were the buttermilk fried chicken and waffles and the smoked gouda mac n’ cheese. Everything turned out just as delicious on the day of the wedding and I still get compliments from guests on how wonderful the food was.

We loved everything about Southern Inn. Absolutely one of the highlights of our wedding.

Southern Inn Catering's reply:

Kristin,

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your business and it was an absolute pleasure to work with you!

Best Wishes,
    Haidyn
  • Amy
    Amy Married on 11/09/2019

Best food ever!

Southern Inn Catering - where do I even begin?!
    When I first started planning our wedding, catering is what overwhelmed me the most. But as soon as I hung up Haidyn, I felt a sense of relief and I knew I wanted to work with them - even before tasting their food.
    Then ... we tried their food and were BLOWN AWAY. There was no doubt in our mind that Southern Inn Catering was the way to go, and they still managed to exceed our expectations with their communication, customer service and (of course) the food at our wedding. Our guests raved about their meals, everything was restaurant quality.

And of course... HAIDYN WELLS. I can not say enough about how wonderful Haidyn is, as a person and as a coordinator. She works with Southern Inn, but we also hired her on as our wedding coordinator. I could not have done it without her. She excels at what she does, and does it all with a positive and heart warming attitude. It was an honor to work with her, and feel so blessed to have gained a friend as well.

Hire Southern Inn - you will not regret it and your guests will thank you!
  • Michelle
    Michelle Married on 10/18/2019

Wonderful Catering Company; Put Our Minds At Ease

We would highly recommend Southern Inn! We primarily worked with the owner, Sue Ann, and she is so kind, patient, trustworthy and great at what she does! She was extremely helpful throughout our entire wedding planning process, and we felt 100% confident that things would go smoothly on our wedding day because of her and her company. We would definitely recommend them, without hesitation!
  • Billy
    Billy D. Married on 04/27/2019

Professional, attentive, and compassionate team + DELICIOUS food. Hire Southern Inn!

(rented/purchased from SI: passed hors d'oeuvres, buffet dinner, cupcakes, wedding cake, bar, glassware, linens)

We are so grateful to the entire Southern Inn catering team. In addition to providing amazing dinner and dessert (don't take our word, just have a tasting...you will want to eat it all), the team's attention to detail, professionalism, and compassion was a big help in guiding us through the planning process. Catering and venue were the first items we worked on, so when we came to Southern Inn, we were still trying to figure out our vision for our wedding. Southern Inn took the time to get to know more about us while walking us through options so we could decide for ourselves. Haidyn was very helpful the whole way, checking in every now and then to make sure we had all we needed. It all culminated in an absolutely unforgettable wedding day. Our friends and family still talk about the food and cupcakes!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to Haidyn Wells and the entire Southern Inn team for helping to make our wedding such an amazing adventure. Looking forward to our delicious 1-year anniversary cake! --Megan & Billy
  • Q
    Quinn Married on 05/12/2018
    We cannot recommend Southern Inn Catering enough!! They were incredibly easy to work with, and they made sure that we had a stress-free wedding day. Everything was absolutely beautiful - the buffet, the table settings, the cake, etc. Their event coordinator, Haidyn, is the bomb! All of the bartenders and wait staff were wonderful as well. I would choose Southern Inn over and over again for a special event!
    Julianne Married on 07/09/2016
    The food catered by Southern Inn was absolutely delicious. Sue Ann was great to work with in the lead up to the wedding, helping us set the menu and make sure everything was perfect. On the big day, she really took care of us and her staff was very professional. Highly recommended.
  • User2593052 2+ years ago
    YES YES YES!!! Sue-Ann is the sweetest person. We had the best food and displays for our wedding day, it was magical. We were so lucky to have such great support from Sue-Ann and her staff. She is an angel, I was so blessed! Super yummy food :)
    Mallory Married on 09/06/2015
    We are SO GLAD that we chose Southern Inn to cater our wedding. They went above and beyond in every way possible and I have absolutely no complaints in the 1+ years that I was working with them. Sue Ann was just a pleasure to work with and she busted her butt the day of our wedding. She was so easy to communicate with, open to my ideas plus has great ones of our own, and really worked with me to make every single detail perfect (and I was pretty picky!) Everyone loved the food and the atmosphere she created was so elegant and beautiful. I even told her that I had recently learned that I was gluten intolerant less than a month before the wedding and she made sure that they had a special gluten-free meal prepared for me so that I could still enjoy the same food as the guests (including dinner rolls and the immaculate penne pasta!) All of the servers and bartenders did a wonderful job. I just can't give them enough praise in a short little paragraph!
    Candice Married on 08/29/2015
    SueAnn with Southern Inn was absolutely fabulous. I had a very specific menu in mind for my wedding and she went above and beyond to make sure it was exactly what I wanted. Her team was amazing, all my guests commented on how nice and attentive they were. The food was delicious... this was a major topic of conversation at the wedding and some guests even went and personally thanked them. You MUST hire them to be your wedding caterer because they are absolutely wonderful. They own a restaurant in Lexington, VA so you can stop in and taste for yourself.

**Tips**
    Send pictures of how you want your tables set and how you want your food to be "shown off". SueAnn will do her absolute best to make it look and taste how you would like.
  • Melissa
    Melissa Married on 05/05/2012
    I absolutely love the crew at the Southern Inn! First, the food is phenomenal. It was really important to us that we have good food that is in season and uses as much local sources as possible and George delivered! He made everything, down to the dressing for our salads, from scratch. And for the cocktail hour, he provided cheese made on a local farm that was absolutely delicious.

We created quite a challenge for the team by holding our wedding about 40 minutes outside of Lexington at a Bed and Breakfast deep in the Shenandoah mountains. Add on top of that that I was planning the wedding from four hours away. Oh yeah, and the entire event was outdoors with no weather backup in case of rain other than a tent. And, of course it rained.

Erica was our initial planner and she did a terrific job of putting together we wanted -- Texas BBQ -- to create a supremely succesful event. After Erica got everything organized, the owner and Exec Chef George and his amazing wife Sue Ann took over and made it all happen. They drove out to the B&B in advance to meet with me and try to put together an outline for the day. And when the rain came and our outline was completely scratched, Sue Ellen and her banquet team jumped right in and took what they had to make it all flow perfectly. She made sure to give me the ceremony I dreamed of, even though we couldn't do it where I wanted. We had a small, intimate wedding with a really simple menu but the way they treated us you would have thought we were paying $150.00/person for food. They even gave us one of the servers as a bartender even though we provided our own booze! Which reminds me of their banquet staff - a terrific team. The bartender took several cases full of wine and micro-brews she had never seen before, and was able to help our guests with the selection as though she had tasted all of it and served it every night. Outside of that, they were so responsive and on top of everything, I never knew they were there or needed anything from them throughout the evening.

While our food was really simple, they can create terrific upscale menus and typically do the rest of the time. They just make great food and they are an awesome group. After the wedding we went into the restaurant for dinner and immediately felt like family -- the servers remembered us and George came up and talked about the day. While I'm sure we gave them a huge challenge in location and what we did, we didn't feel the effects of it. I really can't say enough good about them. I can't wait to get back to the restaurant to see our new family and have some more amazing food!
    Heather Married on 06/12/2010
    Southern Inn catered our rehearsal dinner & our reception. George is super helpful when it comes to working with you to stay within your budget. He also runs a tight ship, so the catering is really professional. Our food was delicious - at both events. Yum!
  • User2426199 2+ years ago
    I found Southern Inn through a list of preferred vendors that my venue provided. I sought them out because a lot of the Charlottesville area caterers were very expensive. The tasting was a bit of a drive for us, but well worth it! The food was delicious & they were very professional and friendly! We were trying to stay on a budget, but with over 200 invited guests the numbers were getting scary. Luckily we only had about 150 people, so that brought the cost down by a lot! Everyone loved the food & we enjoyed our leftovers for a few days after the wedding! All of the servers were friendly and Sue Ann goes above and beyond to ensure everything is perfect! She was always great about emailing and calling whenever I had questions, or concerns.The food presentation was beautiful! We had a couple of miscommunications,but luckily my wedding party stepped in to save the day.We thought catering was going to set up the decorations around the venue bc we talked about this during our venue walk through (we made a detailed list and labeled boxes specifically for this purpose), but then my bridesmaids had to run around at the last minute in their dresses and makeup setting up the welcome table and areas of the reception. We arrived later to the venue & actually pulled in behind the catering trailer, so were confused about their arrival time as well.For some reason we thought they were arriving at noon instead of 2:30pm. It seemed like maybe they were behind schedule & didn't have time for the decorations setup. Some guests said they kept setting their drinks down on their tables & went to dance & when they returned it was already bussed away half full, so they kept having to go get new drinks at the bar. Other than these few things we loved working with Southern Inn and would highly recommend them to anyone! Everyone seemed to love the food & is still talking about how delicious it was. A big thanks to Southern Inn for the great service and helping to make our wedding a success!
  • Jessa
    Jessa M. Married on 08/28/2021

So good! People are still raving!

Southern Inn did not disappoint. From the initial tasting to the wedding night, they were fantastic to work with!
    They work with your budget and will adjust things as necessary which I found super helpful instead of just having one cost to go with.
    Our first experience was the tasting. Haidyn, sent us a menu and told us to pick a few things from each category. When I tell you our eyes were bulging at the amount of food we got to taste and it was all AMAZING! After that she put together a quote based on what we decided and took it from there.
    On the wedding night the food was just as delicious as we remembered! People are still raving about the food today, and all of the leftovers were quickly eaten.
    Haidyn is also fantastic to work with. Very personable, honest, and your biggest advocate. We also used her as our day of coordinator, and I am so thankful for her.
    We will continue to drive out to Lexington just to eat dinner at their restaurant it was that good. Thank you Haidyn & Southern Inn!