Solitude Links Golf Course & Banquet Center Reviews

Solitude Links Golf Course & Banquet Center 5
Solitude Links Golf Course & Banquet Center 6
Solitude Links Golf Course & Banquet Center 7

Tracy · event on: 04/25/2015

For two years, Jennifer Hollenbeck has gone above and beyond to make our experience at Solitude Links a great one. She's a wonderful event coordinator.
    A great place for an event.

Sent on 05/05/2015

Ashlee · Married on 05/21/2016

One of the most beautiful venues I have ever seen. So many windows allow for so much beautiful, natural light!

Sent on 05/20/2016

Solitude Links Golf Course & Banquet Center's reply:

Thank you so much for your review! We love our view with our beautiful balcony looking over the lake and golf course. So many picture opportunities.
    Please let me know why you feel the value is lower rated. We would love to work with any couple to make their day amazing and get to take advantage of the scenery.

I had my rehearsal dinner, ceremony, and reception at Fore Lakes. I was very satisfied with all three events. The staff were professional and very helpful. My only complaint is that we were told that we would have to pay for a minimum of 200 plates if we booked the east hall. I had about 180 guests and it was quite cramped. I still had to pay for the 200 plates. It would have been incredibly cramped if we went over 200 guests (ten per table- which is a tight fit, too). I think that they should seriously revise the minimum and maximum number for their halls. The main hall can be divided into two separate halls- the east and west. The dance floor is very small on each side when the room is divided. Other than room/dance floor size I am very satisfied with the food, service, and professionalism of Fore Lakes.

Sent on 10/29/2014

Jim · Married on 09/13/2014

The food was fantastic. The beauty of this venue is 2nd to none. . The planner was helpful and delivered what we wanted for both our reception and ceremony.

Sent on 12/17/2014

Matthew · Married on 07/27/2013

We could not have been happier with the result of our wedding reception at Fore Lakes. Everyone was very helpful and the food was delicious. There were some minor complaints about how the drinks were being made, but that was the only complaint. We received an excellent value at Fore Lakes.

Sent on 01/05/2014

Solitude Links Golf Course & Banquet Center's reply:

There will be instances when a guest will assume a Bar Service is basically "unrestricted".With every event comes a contract and with every contract comes a guideline of that facility as to what is and is not provided. At Fore Lakes Golf Club we have a responsibility to our bride and groom as well as their family and friends to follow the specific guidelines when is comes to a Bar Service to ascertain compliance of the laws set forth by the State of Michigan Liquor Control Commission. We choose to utilize a pre-measured pour for all mix drinks which provides consistency when preparing drinks for our guests. The pre-measured pour insures that a drink will not be “under poured or over poured”. When beer is served for an event, it is served by the glass and not by “the pitcher”. As inconvenient as this may be perceived by certain guests, this allows the bartenders' to thoroughly do the job they were trained to do while following the suggested protocol of the ServSafe training program required by the State of Michigan. We are incredibly proud of the outstanding customer service we provide to all of our guests and we are aware that there will be isolated times such as this that due to the standards set before us, we will not be able to give a guest “exactly” what they request.

Krystal · Married on 11/11/2017

Our wedding at Solitude was amazing! Everything turned out perfectly, we didn't have any problems. Jennifer and her staff were so professional and were on top of everything. We couldn't ask for a better day. The food was amazing and all of our guest had a great time!

Sent on 12/15/2017

Annette · Married on 09/27/2014

Our son had his wedding at Fore Lakes on Sept 27, 2014. The venue was absolutely beautiful and the weather that day was picture perfect. We had the ceremony there on the grounds. We had 300 guest and many sat in the gazebo area while others were able to watch from the balcony. All the guests raved about how beautiful the venue was. They enjoyed cocktail hour and being able to stroll out on the balcony. We had a plated dinner that began with salad followed by mostaccioli. The main course did not come out in a timely manner. Some guests had finished eating while other tables had not received their meal. This delayed the band from starting by one hour.
    Terese was very helpful in organizing our day. Also a big shout out to our servers Amber and Megan :)

Sent on 10/18/2014

Solitude Links Golf Course & Banquet Center's reply:

Thank you for your response Annette, but I would like to defend the service rating that you gave us. I have cameras placed through out the hall as well as in the kitchen, and upon reviewing them to make sure I had my timeline straight, we were scheduled to start the dinner service at 7pm, but it started much later. I explained to your son the importance of keeping to this time line, not only for the quality of the food but it will throw the rest of the night off, as it did for your band. The grand entrance into the room along with the cake cutting stayed right on track but the toasts lasted way past 7pm and I started my dinner service with the salads and bread at 7:19pm. The pasta course that followed was served from 7:31pm to 7:45pm and the 2 meat with two separate sauces, potatoes and vegetables being served from 7:50pm and last table plate down at 8:28. So a 3 course, plated meal for 300 guest, served in 1 hour and 10 minutes is very good. In any wedding or event, there will always be tables who are finished first while others are waiting to be served.
    It was a pleasure to work and watch their beautiful wedding come together that day.

Rachel · Married on 07/14/2007

Fore Lakes is by far, the BEST venue in St. Clair County for a wedding. It was big enough for our 400 guest wedding. The food was the best (we served filet mignon and lobster) we've tasted of banquet food. In addition the coordinator, Kathy Torello-Almanza was flexible, easily accessible and also accommodating.

One thing I would recommend is to make sure you outline everything in detail. I thought our hor d'oeuvres were going to be served butler style, but the day of the wedding, they were put out in the middle of the dancefloor with a few tables. it was hectic for the 400 guests trying to get food. Put your guest book in the front lobby -- they tend to recommend an area in the back of the room. And, although the staff recommends not putting out place cards because they escort guests to tables, i still recommend place cards. Overal, a wonderful place to have the wedding of your dreams!

Sent on 10/21/2008

MaryKathryn · Married on 08/12/2017

3.5

We just had our wedding on August 12, 2017. Everything was absolutely gorgeous scenery there is amazing for pictures. The food is so delicious and the servers there are amazing always on top of things. However, we were super disappointed overall! We were promised a stress free day and it was the complete opposite! I understand sometimes things go wrong, but the amount of stuff that went wrong for is was unacceptable for how much we paid! First off, I had asked for my bubbles to be set out at the ceremony for the guests they were not. The girls who worked there did not give the guys there boutineers so that was a waste of money and they were right next to the bouquets which they would have forgotten if I didn't say something. The candles we wanted lit were not. Someone got escorted down that wasn't supposed to. My husband noticed that the chocolate fountain was already out before the ceremony even started and he was told they would keep it out all night. They did not do this. Half the people didn't know it was there it was gone so quick. If my husband didn't notice they gave us the wrong liquor package they were giving us the cheapest liquor and we paid for the second highest package. They also went to very cheap on the drinks with the liquor. The bartender didn't even give you a full shot of liquor in your drink people were chugging straight juice pretty much all night and we're getting sick. They also do not allow shots which a lot of our family members were disappointed about and we had no idea that this would not be allowed. The bartender was also extremely rude and they only provided us with one bartender which made from one very long line. We were told everything would be taken care of and we wouldn't have to worry about anything but no one was on top of anything. It was an extremely stressful day and that how we imagined our wedding. We are getting reimbursed for the chocolate fountain but a lot of things were not acknowledged

Sent on 08/26/2017

Solitude Links Golf Course & Banquet Center's reply:

MaryKathryn, thank you so much for your review and informing us of your perceived issues. We are unable to improve or correct issues unless we get valuable feedback from our couples and guests. You are also correct, sometimes things do get missed and we are very sorry for any of the items you feel were not addressed. We are not perfect and strive to improve each and every event. Your ceremony was moved indoors because of mother nature; by bringing it indoors we cannot allow bubbles or any other slick liquid substances to land on the epoxy floor, as this would have created a slip and fall issue. Protecting your party and guests is our #1 priority. The chocolate fountain was put out in the exact location as the floor plan indicated, which was sent for your approval prior to your day. We have to put it in place early to adjust the temperature, level and make any additional adjustments necessary. Based on our camera feed, the fountain was out until 8:20pm. Not sure why you thought it would be out until 12 midnight, but if we gave you the wrong impression, we are sorry. Our banquet captain would have caught the liquor package before reception started, this is one of our pre-reception checks. Our liquor bottles have measured pourers and dispense the exact amount needed for the small size banquet glasses. This is why we do not use free pours. In regards to shots, same situation, guests safety is our #1 priority and this was conveyed to you during your site visit. Your complaint regarding the bartender is very unusual, it's possible your guests were giving her a hard time due to no shots being allowed and she got frustrated. After reviewing the camera's again, at 6:28pm there was a line and our banquet captain stepped in to help out immediately. After 15 minutes, the line subsided and there wasn't much of a line for the rest of the evening. We hope this acknowledges your issues and once again, if you feel we failed in any aspect, we are sincerely sorry.

Yasmine · Married on 06/20/2009

3.5

We had our wedding at Fore Lakes and the venue was beautiful. We worked with Kathy, who was very helpful. Some of the complaints I have are about the quality of service. We asked that during the reception some of the Hors D'Oeuvres be butler passed and that never happened. The bridal party was also supposed to have drinks and Hors D'Oeuvre bought down during pictures and that never happened either. There were a few other little things, but the day went so well and it was so beautiful that its not worth getting upset over. I would suggest that everything is put in wirting and I mean everything.

Sent on 07/09/2009

3.5

Our event turned out fabulous! The service and quality of product was great. Everyone raved about it. However, the only things I would offer as advice to the vendor is to reply to communications quicker. A few months out from my wedding I couldn't seem to get ahold via email or voicemail/phone (and a hit-or-miss reply only sometimes). But when it was 2 weeks out from my wedding, they put all their focus into it, which is great, but doesn't make the previous months less stressful. Also, because they are so busy and has a lot of business, their flexibility can be...well, inflexible. Overall, the event turned out great! They went above and beyond to make our day special.

Sent on 08/26/2013

Solitude Links Golf Course & Banquet Center's reply:

The team at Fore Lakes Golf Club thanks you for taking the time to review your event. As we totally respect your suggestion of "replying to communications quicker", we also view this as an opportunity to correct and increase turn around time of inquiries if need be. Every email to the team is copied and any phone call is dated and recorded to a phone log. We would have positively addressed a request from you notifying us of your dissatisfaction of service prior to the event if you would have contacted us. The team and the service they provide is positively the most "flexible" in the business. Even now, after the event, you did not provide us with a name or an event date that would have allowed us to address your concerns in person, regardless, we are happy that your event turned out great and we wish you both the very best!

Shayleen · Married on 08/09/2008

3.8
      2.5

It stormed pretty heavily on our wedding day so things did not go as planned, but everything turned out beautiful! None of the guests would have ever known that anything was wrong. My only complaint was that when it came to the craziness of wedding day and there were things that the event coordinator did not know what to do with she never asked me, she just made something up. I was stuck in the bride's room for a few hours so that no one would see me so I was helpless. A simple visit to my room could have easily made it more of what I wanted so that bothered me. But I have no other complaints!

Sent on 08/29/2008

Solitude Links Golf Course & Banquet Center's reply:

On wedding day when a facility has to switch gears from an outdoor wedding
    to an indoor wedding due to inclement weather, staff as well as bridal
    families, are waiting until the last possible moment to make the call if the
    ceremony can be held outside or in. With 45 minutes left before the
    ceremony's start time we were informed by both the mother of the bride as
    well as the mother of the groom, that they would be the contact person to
    each of their children, relaying any information in regards to the eventual
    location of the ceremony. The last 30 minutes before the ceremony, the
    sound equipment and the ceremony flowers were moved three times from inside
    to outside with the hopes of an outdoor location, however due to the
    weather, with now 15 minutes left before the ceremony, it was all moved back
    inside to the building. Our facility does provide bridal suites as an added
    convenience to the bridal party and I am sure that the wait before any
    ceremony can seem like an eternity, however, the decision ultimately to have
    the ceremony inside came from the parents which they relayed the decision
    both to the bride and groom. When Mother Nature decides to throw a weather
    challenge, we as the facility will do our absolute best to accommodate the
    change