Smokin Willy Reviews

138 | Purcellville, VA

138 Reviews for Smokin Willy

Meagan · Married on 06/03/2017

Working with Smokin Willy for my wedding caterer was by far the best decision I made in planning. I used them for almost everything - tent, rentals, catering - and they went beyond for each and every aspect. Everything was super professional, the food was delicious, and the logistics went off without a hitch. If you want bbq - they are the way to go - and it doesn't hurt that their prices are really reasonable and the people were really just lovely to work with. Everything was a dream.

Sent on 07/12/2017

Jessica · Married on 05/27/2017

I am SO thankful that we chose Smokin Willy. Chris and his team are THE ABSOLUTE BEST. They go above and beyond! You expect a caterer to provide great food and reliable services, sure, but do you also expect them to volunteer to decorate your tables, move flower arrangements from your ceremony to your reception, or use a leaf blower to dry a lawn because it rained just prior to your cocktail hour?! I certainly didn't but Smokin Willy had no limits when it came to serving us. They wanted to help in any and every way possible and they gave me the greatest gift of all... peace of mind on my wedding day! I felt like I could trust them from the start 100% and I was right! Not only were they doing amazing things behind the scenes but my guests all raved about our food so they truly covered all the bases (even the ones you might not think of). I cannot thank Chris (the owner) and his team at Smokin Willy enough and I can guarantee you will feel the exact same way if you make the very wise decision to work with them too.

Sent on 06/06/2017

Michael · Married on 05/13/2017

We worked with Smokin’ Willy for our rehearsal dinner (May 2017), and they were awesome! They were incredibly friendly, responded quickly to emails with all the information we needed, and the food was delicious. The BBQ trio (burgers, chicken, and hot dogs) and sides (mac & cheese, grilled vegetables, and corn bread) they served for the rehearsal dinner received rave reviews from all of our guests! The staff who worked the dinner were amazing - they arrived early, were friendly and professional, and even offered to help us with anything else we may need to make the rehearsal dinner go smoothly. We highly recommend Smokin’ Willy for any event!

Sent on 06/07/2017

Derek · Married on 04/29/2017

From the first contact several months ago and all the way through our event Chris and Ashley were fantastic. We knew we wanted a bbq type wedding and we checked out several BBQ caterers in the VA/DC area and decided on Smokin Willys because their bbq was great. Little did we know that the whole experience would be even better. Chris immediately put us at ease throughout the planning and through many of the decisions that go into set up, rentals, tables settings, etc. Chris's staff was awesome and the bartenders were super fun. The food was crazy good from the pork and brisket to to the mac and cheese, grilled vegetables, and salads. We are still hearing from our guests about how amazing the food and service was. They made our special day unforgettable and we would recommend Smokin Willys to anyone who wants great food and service and a fun wedding.

Sent on 05/07/2017

Jennifer · Married on 04/01/2017

My husband and I wanted a casual feel to our wedding, so the food had to be just right. Our wedding required a cater that could be super family-friendly with over 20 kids in attendance – 5 of whom were under 2 years old – and a boatload of vegetarians. Smokin Willys stepped up to the plate with fantastic food, excellent customer service and attention to detail before, during and after our wedding. Our sales contact and event manager was Chris who led an attentive team that grilled up a wonderful meal for all ages. With varied pallets and a bunch of BBQ foodies in attendance, we opted for the mixed grille with petite fillet, mesquite chicken and kielbasa. For the kids, we had a mashed potato and mac-n-cheese bar. And the vegetarians we appeased with grilled portabella mushrooms. Numerous family members and friends have commented on the great food and the attentive catering staff. I’ve honestly never held an event where I’ve not worried about the food, the kid-friendly seating or the event as a whole, especially with a bunch of kiddos – and I got that peace of mind with the cracker jack team at Smokin Willys. And a hearty meal people talk about to boot!

Sent on 04/16/2017

Mary · Married on 11/12/2016

We used Smokin Willy for my daughter’s reception on Nov 12, 2016 and I can only rave about them!! Cris and his team were amazing to work with and put our minds at ease from the very beginning. They knew exactly what we did and didn’t need. Cris was very responsive to all our emails and was prepared at our walk-through with any questions that needed to be addressed. We made several changes along the way and Cris was on top of it all. Our guests are still raving about the food, not your traditional wedding dinner. We went with the barbequed chicken, salmon and carne asada. We also had passed hors d’oeuvres for the cocktail hour and the bacon wrapped scallops were to die for! They cooked onsite, which just added to the anticipation with all the amazing smells! The weather was cold, but all the meals were served piping hot! Amazing!! Aside from the delicious food, the catering team went above and beyond to help with all the decorating and set up. Everything was just as my daughter had envisioned it to be. We could not have made a better choice by having Smokin Willy caterer the wedding. I highly recommend them!!

Sent on 12/12/2016

Michelle · Married on 10/30/2016

My husband and I got married October 30th and we had Smokin Willy do our catering. Since the wedding, the number one thing people have said to us (besides congrats) is that we had the best food they have ever had at a wedding. We stuck with bbq type foods and even managed to get away with doing ribs since they literally fall off the bone, so it was definitely comfort food for everyone. Ontop of that, Chris was our event lead and he was really responsive/experienced with our venue so it made the planning process as smooth as it could be. Price wise, everything was very reasonable and we were able to add or remove things based on how planning was going and logistics of the event. I definitely recommend them!

Michelle

Sent on 11/17/2016

Claire · Married on 10/29/2016

We worked with Cris at Smokin Willy, and he was the best. We weren't thrilled with their normal vegetarian option, so he volunteered to make us a vegetarian chili instead. He didn't try to upsell us; he was honest with us about what we needed and what wasn't necessary. We wanted to have a couple of extras (tea and lemonade at the ceremony and a hot chocolate/cider bar at the reception), and Cris accommodated those things so easily it was like he had done it a hundred times. We dropped off all our alcohol to him ahead of time, and he picked up our desserts for us the morning of the wedding. He would have taken our center pieces and favors and put those out for us too, if we had wanted him too. In short, Cris and his team were probably what we worried about the least leading up to our wedding. They were so professional and really put us at ease.

As for the wedding day itself, they showed up early to get things ready to go. The food was delicious and warm. They were ready for toasts, cake cutting, etc. even before we realized it was time for them. We couldn't have asked for a smoother day with them.

I don't think we can recommend Smokin Willy more. We have tried to think of a negative to make this appear more balanced, and honestly can't come up with one. They were perfect.

Sent on 11/12/2016

Courtney · Married on 10/15/2016

Used them for our rehearsal dinner and reception and our expectations were exceeded in every way. Everyone we interacted with was kind, professional, accommodating and a true pleasure to work with. Food was delicious and service was top notch!

Sent on 10/23/2016

Elizabeth · Married on 10/09/2016

It is so easy to find all they offer on their website! Everyone I worked with was very attentive and helpful along the process! They do a great job making your vision come true and if they don't have something that you want, they will work with you to get it! One of the best decisions we made in our wedding was hiring Smoking Willys to do our catering and rentals!! Love them!

Sent on 10/26/2016

Stephanie · Married on 10/08/2016

A month after my wedding, guests are still raving about the food provided by Smokin Willy at my reception. Several people expressed that it was the best BBQ they have ever had! Throughout the whole year of planning my wedding, the event planning staff was wonderful to work with and helped to answer any questions I had. About a month before our wedding we changed our reception location to be inside, rather than outside, and Chris and Jan were great about switching everything up and working with us to make the space exactly what we wanted. They were so helpful and professional and I am so glad that we went with Smokin Willy as our caterer.

Sent on 11/14/2016

Sarah · Married on 09/17/2016

I can't begin to tell you how much of a hit Smokin Willys was at our wedding! Our guests raved from beginning to end and we are still hearing from them how much they loved the food! Some guests even went so far as to say it was the greatest food they had ever had at a wedding and others had more than one helping! There was hardly any food left by the end of the night and I think that is a true testament to the talent and quality of Smokin Willys. You will not regret booking with them for your wedding. They go above and beyond for all of their customers and are such a joy to work with. Chris, the owner, worked with us until we had perfected our menu and was always available via phone or email. My husband and I couldn't be happier with our entire experience and couldn't recommend Smokin Willys more!

Sent on 09/28/2016

Candace · Married on 09/03/2016

We were so pleased with smokin willy! We used them to caterer our barn wedding at silverbrook farm in Purcellville Virginia. Our guests raved about the food, many went back for seconds, and there was absolutely no left overs! Chris was wonderful to work with from the very beginning. Responsive to emails and great arranging our Floor plan and helpful during our walk through. They were very reasonably priced. We are so glad we booked them, and highly recommend! The Mac and cheese is to die for! Thank you so much smokin willy!!!!

Sent on 09/19/2016

Heather · Married on 08/27/2016

Smokin Willy was incredible! My husband and I couldn't recommend them more!!! Chris and his team were easy to work with and did a phenomenal job with our rehearsal and reception dinner. Our guests LOVED the food, we got so many compliments throughout the night. It was delicious. I can't say enough great things about the staff too. They were so personable and they really made us feel important. Smokin Willy truly did cater to all of our needs.

Sent on 10/10/2016

Abby · Married on 07/16/2016

Wow, I truly cannot say enough positive things about our experience with Chris at Smokin Willy. Choosing a caterer can be a difficult process, but when my husband and I met Chris - we knew instantly that working with him would be easy and FUN. At our first tasting we absolutely fell in love with the food and all of his price quotes for rentals were extremely reasonable.

Chris has the ability to make any bride or groom feel relaxed and taken care of. We loved that he had worked many weddings at our venue (Riverside on the Potomac) and knew the property well. This made our walk-through and set-up so much smoother.

Chris was so gracious with making payments, re-quoting us when things changed, storing items for the wedding, and very prompt with e-mails and phone calls.

Did I say the food was amazing? Our guests could not stop raving about how good their food was. The service throughout the evening was impeccable as well. Aaron and I could not have asked for a better caterer for our wedding. Chris - THANK YOU! I highly recommend Smokin Willy to any bride and groom in the Loudoun and surrounding areas!

Sent on 08/09/2016

Megan · Married on 07/16/2016

Smokin Willy was awesome! We put a lot of thought into who we wanted to use for our caterer and are SO happy we ended up going with Smokin Willy. My husband used to be a professional chef, so he had very high expectations (and "asks") of Smokin Willy. We had a lot of specific things we wanted to see and how we wanted the service to run, and Chris and his team at Smokin Willy was very helpful and accommodating. They also brought a lot of great ideas to the table that made our wedding run even smoother. The day of our wedding, I was so impressed with the quality of Smokin Willy's food as well as the professionalism of their team. They arrived early, set everything up, and then executed an awesome (and on time!) cocktail hour and reception. And don't get me started on the food! It was so tasty and the presentation was awesome!!! We were so happy with the food - everything tasted so good! Just like our tasting. All of the guests told us how much they loved the food! I couldn't have asked for a better caterer and would definitely recommend them to a friend!

Sent on 09/05/2016

Stephanie · Married on 07/02/2016

Working with Chris at Smokin' Willy was a fabulous experience! From the start, Chris went above and beyond to accommodate our every need. We did a tasting at their restaurant and fell in love with the delicious barbecue and service. When we showed up for the walk through of our venue, Chris led the show! He helped to put our mind at ease at every turn. We could not be more pleased with the way it all turned out. Chris & Smokin' Willy are the best!

Sent on 07/21/2016

If I could give them 6 stars, I would. Our venue recommended SW, after we expressed we wanted laid back but delicious food, They were just incredible! Chris was a dream to work with, and hilarious to boot. The food was out of control--we had 5 people unable to stay for dinner at the last minute, and still ran out of food because people were going for thirds! I did not have to worry about a thing, they made it all super easy. Thank you, thank you--people will no doubt rave about the brisket for years to come!!

Sent on 08/01/2016

Marilyn · Married on 06/18/2016

Chris and his team were fantastic! Chris was awesome to work with, providing excellent advice for the cocktail hour and reception. On the day of my daughter's wedding, I didn't have to worry or think about a thing with the catering as I knew Chris and his staff would take care of everything. Their service was incredible, food was delicious and Chris even prepared a special plate for me due to my food allergies. I can't recommend Chris and Smokin Willy enough!

Sent on 07/06/2016

Marti · Married on 06/11/2016

I don't see my review noted on this site, and I am compelled to try again. We had a perfect experience with Smokin Willy's for our daughter's June wedding. Seamless! Cris was remarkably responsive as we asked questions and tried to understand the lay of the land for a once in a lifetime event. He was kind and patient and professional and honest.
    The food was fantastic! Guests absolutely raved about the ribs, the potatoes, everything! Yummy perfection! We purchased our beverages and delivered them to the venue to save a few dollars. Cris was wholly supportive of this choice. The entire service staff was good to all of us on this special evening.
    Thank you Cris and team! You helped make this wedding day very special for our daughter and her husband, our families and our friends!

Sent on 07/09/2016

Melissa · Married on 06/04/2016

Smokin’ Willy catered my daughter’s wedding, and they were just fabulous!!! We do not live in the Leesburg area, so much of our planning was done via email with Ashley, and she was wonderful to work with. She arranged for us to come out for a tasting, and we were sold. Chris put us at ease right away. Chris and his team were amazing – warm, friendly, super professional and just really good at what they do. Chris sent us a drawing of the table arrangements in advance, which was really helpful when coming up with seating assignments for our guests. The tables were impeccably set, and looked great. Thoughtful touches like serving a sampling of the appetizers to the bridal party while they were getting ready helped make the day go very smoothly. As far as the food, the pork barbeque was obviously awesome, but they do so much more! We also had petit steak medallions, grilled chicken, and barbequed shrimp skewers, and it was all so delicious!! We thoroughly enjoyed working with Smokin’ Willy, and highly recommend them as a wedding caterer!!!

Sent on 07/04/2016

John · Married on 05/28/2016

My wife and I picked Smokin Willys to cater our wedding in May 2016 and it was definitely one of the best decisions we made while planning our wedding. From the first time we tasted the food at the restaurant location in Purcellville, Virginia, we were hooked. For the cocktail hour, we went with the pan fried crab cakes, smoked gouda and sausage stuffed mushrooms, and bacon wrapped scallops and for dinner we had the BBQ smoked pork, BBQ mesquite chicken breast, and smoked brisket. It was all delicious, absolutely the best BBQ we have ever had.

Chris Scharrer and team were outstanding to work with throughout the entire process. He met with us at the wedding event venue (many times) to go over the floor plan and table arrangements. Given that we were close to capacity for our wedding space, Chris even went over to the venue on his own time to take measurements of the floor so we could have the exact right size tables to fit the available space. That was definitely above and beyond our expectations for the caterer.

In addition to the great food, Smokin Willys went out of their way to make the wedding stress free. We were able to drop off flowers, decorations, table clothes, pies, beer / sodas, etc at the Smokin Willys restaurant location prior to the wedding and they brought everything to the venue, set it up, and then returned everything to us afterwards. Very convenient and helpful. I would definitely recommend Smokin Willys for any of your catering needs!

Sent on 07/09/2016

Elizabeth · Married on 05/28/2016

We used Smokin Willy to cater our wedding in May and everything about it was amazing. Even though it was a backyard wedding I really wanted an upscale feel and Smokin Willy definitely provided that. We had chicken and steak, grilled vegetables bacon wrapped scallops, (and of course mac and cheese). I still get people telling me how good the food was. The staff was extremely professional and helpful. They even helped us decorate the tables the morning of. They were very flexible with us when we had to change the timing of our wedding about 2 months out. They were always very responsible in answering my questions and returning phone calls and emails. Chris(there are two there), came out for a site visit and gave us all kinds of advice, not just on catering related things, but also how he'd seen other weddings do things like bar set up and pictures. I would highly recommend Smokin Willy if you want affordable delicious food on your wedding day and a great catering team!

Sent on 10/19/2016

Chelsea · Married on 05/14/2016

My fiance had dreams about the green beans in the days leading up to our wedding! Smokin Willy delivers when it comes to delicious BBQ, professional staff, and great service. Everyone loved the food and the service leading up to, and during the wedding were great!

Sent on 05/20/2016

Jose · Married on 04/08/2016

We had our wedding on a friday night. They were very accomodating. Down to the last detail, everything was set. We also had conflicts in schedules meeting them on specific dates, but they found a way to send another person of their staff to check over the last details with us and took care of us.

The food was very delicious. During the ceremony you can smell the food cooking at their in site bbq pits. Very delicious aroma, which got all the guests ready to rumble. Very delicious and moist food. Also, my guests said they ordered more, and they were able to bring some more food out!

Affordable price, good communication, easy to talk to and email replies quick.

5 star for me. very friendly people.

Sent on 04/15/2016