Smokin Willy Reviews

Smokin Willy 3
Smokin Willy 4
Smokin Willy 5

Sarah · Married on 09/17/2016

I can't begin to tell you how much of a hit Smokin Willys was at our wedding! Our guests raved from beginning to end and we are still hearing from them how much they loved the food! Some guests even went so far as to say it was the greatest food they had ever had at a wedding and others had more than one helping! There was hardly any food left by the end of the night and I think that is a true testament to the talent and quality of Smokin Willys. You will not regret booking with them for your wedding. They go above and beyond for all of their customers and are such a joy to work with. Chris, the owner, worked with us until we had perfected our menu and was always available via phone or email. My husband and I couldn't be happier with our entire experience and couldn't recommend Smokin Willys more!

Sent on 09/28/2016

Candace · Married on 09/03/2016

We were so pleased with smokin willy! We used them to caterer our barn wedding at silverbrook farm in Purcellville Virginia. Our guests raved about the food, many went back for seconds, and there was absolutely no left overs! Chris was wonderful to work with from the very beginning. Responsive to emails and great arranging our Floor plan and helpful during our walk through. They were very reasonably priced. We are so glad we booked them, and highly recommend! The Mac and cheese is to die for! Thank you so much smokin willy!!!!

Sent on 09/19/2016

Heather · Married on 08/27/2016

Smokin Willy was incredible! My husband and I couldn't recommend them more!!! Chris and his team were easy to work with and did a phenomenal job with our rehearsal and reception dinner. Our guests LOVED the food, we got so many compliments throughout the night. It was delicious. I can't say enough great things about the staff too. They were so personable and they really made us feel important. Smokin Willy truly did cater to all of our needs.

Sent on 10/10/2016

Abby · Married on 07/16/2016

Wow, I truly cannot say enough positive things about our experience with Chris at Smokin Willy. Choosing a caterer can be a difficult process, but when my husband and I met Chris - we knew instantly that working with him would be easy and FUN. At our first tasting we absolutely fell in love with the food and all of his price quotes for rentals were extremely reasonable.

Chris has the ability to make any bride or groom feel relaxed and taken care of. We loved that he had worked many weddings at our venue (Riverside on the Potomac) and knew the property well. This made our walk-through and set-up so much smoother.

Chris was so gracious with making payments, re-quoting us when things changed, storing items for the wedding, and very prompt with e-mails and phone calls.

Did I say the food was amazing? Our guests could not stop raving about how good their food was. The service throughout the evening was impeccable as well. Aaron and I could not have asked for a better caterer for our wedding. Chris - THANK YOU! I highly recommend Smokin Willy to any bride and groom in the Loudoun and surrounding areas!

Sent on 08/09/2016

Megan · Married on 07/16/2016

Smokin Willy was awesome! We put a lot of thought into who we wanted to use for our caterer and are SO happy we ended up going with Smokin Willy. My husband used to be a professional chef, so he had very high expectations (and "asks") of Smokin Willy. We had a lot of specific things we wanted to see and how we wanted the service to run, and Chris and his team at Smokin Willy was very helpful and accommodating. They also brought a lot of great ideas to the table that made our wedding run even smoother. The day of our wedding, I was so impressed with the quality of Smokin Willy's food as well as the professionalism of their team. They arrived early, set everything up, and then executed an awesome (and on time!) cocktail hour and reception. And don't get me started on the food! It was so tasty and the presentation was awesome!!! We were so happy with the food - everything tasted so good! Just like our tasting. All of the guests told us how much they loved the food! I couldn't have asked for a better caterer and would definitely recommend them to a friend!

Sent on 09/05/2016

Stephanie · Married on 07/02/2016

Working with Chris at Smokin' Willy was a fabulous experience! From the start, Chris went above and beyond to accommodate our every need. We did a tasting at their restaurant and fell in love with the delicious barbecue and service. When we showed up for the walk through of our venue, Chris led the show! He helped to put our mind at ease at every turn. We could not be more pleased with the way it all turned out. Chris & Smokin' Willy are the best!

Sent on 07/21/2016

If I could give them 6 stars, I would. Our venue recommended SW, after we expressed we wanted laid back but delicious food, They were just incredible! Chris was a dream to work with, and hilarious to boot. The food was out of control--we had 5 people unable to stay for dinner at the last minute, and still ran out of food because people were going for thirds! I did not have to worry about a thing, they made it all super easy. Thank you, thank you--people will no doubt rave about the brisket for years to come!!

Sent on 08/01/2016

Marilyn · Married on 06/18/2016

Chris and his team were fantastic! Chris was awesome to work with, providing excellent advice for the cocktail hour and reception. On the day of my daughter's wedding, I didn't have to worry or think about a thing with the catering as I knew Chris and his staff would take care of everything. Their service was incredible, food was delicious and Chris even prepared a special plate for me due to my food allergies. I can't recommend Chris and Smokin Willy enough!

Sent on 07/06/2016

Marti · Married on 06/11/2016

I don't see my review noted on this site, and I am compelled to try again. We had a perfect experience with Smokin Willy's for our daughter's June wedding. Seamless! Cris was remarkably responsive as we asked questions and tried to understand the lay of the land for a once in a lifetime event. He was kind and patient and professional and honest.
    The food was fantastic! Guests absolutely raved about the ribs, the potatoes, everything! Yummy perfection! We purchased our beverages and delivered them to the venue to save a few dollars. Cris was wholly supportive of this choice. The entire service staff was good to all of us on this special evening.
    Thank you Cris and team! You helped make this wedding day very special for our daughter and her husband, our families and our friends!

Sent on 07/09/2016

Melissa · Married on 06/04/2016

Smokin’ Willy catered my daughter’s wedding, and they were just fabulous!!! We do not live in the Leesburg area, so much of our planning was done via email with Ashley, and she was wonderful to work with. She arranged for us to come out for a tasting, and we were sold. Chris put us at ease right away. Chris and his team were amazing – warm, friendly, super professional and just really good at what they do. Chris sent us a drawing of the table arrangements in advance, which was really helpful when coming up with seating assignments for our guests. The tables were impeccably set, and looked great. Thoughtful touches like serving a sampling of the appetizers to the bridal party while they were getting ready helped make the day go very smoothly. As far as the food, the pork barbeque was obviously awesome, but they do so much more! We also had petit steak medallions, grilled chicken, and barbequed shrimp skewers, and it was all so delicious!! We thoroughly enjoyed working with Smokin’ Willy, and highly recommend them as a wedding caterer!!!

Sent on 07/04/2016

John · Married on 05/28/2016

My wife and I picked Smokin Willys to cater our wedding in May 2016 and it was definitely one of the best decisions we made while planning our wedding. From the first time we tasted the food at the restaurant location in Purcellville, Virginia, we were hooked. For the cocktail hour, we went with the pan fried crab cakes, smoked gouda and sausage stuffed mushrooms, and bacon wrapped scallops and for dinner we had the BBQ smoked pork, BBQ mesquite chicken breast, and smoked brisket. It was all delicious, absolutely the best BBQ we have ever had.

Chris Scharrer and team were outstanding to work with throughout the entire process. He met with us at the wedding event venue (many times) to go over the floor plan and table arrangements. Given that we were close to capacity for our wedding space, Chris even went over to the venue on his own time to take measurements of the floor so we could have the exact right size tables to fit the available space. That was definitely above and beyond our expectations for the caterer.

In addition to the great food, Smokin Willys went out of their way to make the wedding stress free. We were able to drop off flowers, decorations, table clothes, pies, beer / sodas, etc at the Smokin Willys restaurant location prior to the wedding and they brought everything to the venue, set it up, and then returned everything to us afterwards. Very convenient and helpful. I would definitely recommend Smokin Willys for any of your catering needs!

Sent on 07/09/2016

Elizabeth · Married on 05/28/2016

We used Smokin Willy to cater our wedding in May and everything about it was amazing. Even though it was a backyard wedding I really wanted an upscale feel and Smokin Willy definitely provided that. We had chicken and steak, grilled vegetables bacon wrapped scallops, (and of course mac and cheese). I still get people telling me how good the food was. The staff was extremely professional and helpful. They even helped us decorate the tables the morning of. They were very flexible with us when we had to change the timing of our wedding about 2 months out. They were always very responsible in answering my questions and returning phone calls and emails. Chris(there are two there), came out for a site visit and gave us all kinds of advice, not just on catering related things, but also how he'd seen other weddings do things like bar set up and pictures. I would highly recommend Smokin Willy if you want affordable delicious food on your wedding day and a great catering team!

Sent on 10/19/2016

Chelsea · Married on 05/14/2016

My fiance had dreams about the green beans in the days leading up to our wedding! Smokin Willy delivers when it comes to delicious BBQ, professional staff, and great service. Everyone loved the food and the service leading up to, and during the wedding were great!

Sent on 05/20/2016

Jose · Married on 04/08/2016

We had our wedding on a friday night. They were very accomodating. Down to the last detail, everything was set. We also had conflicts in schedules meeting them on specific dates, but they found a way to send another person of their staff to check over the last details with us and took care of us.

The food was very delicious. During the ceremony you can smell the food cooking at their in site bbq pits. Very delicious aroma, which got all the guests ready to rumble. Very delicious and moist food. Also, my guests said they ordered more, and they were able to bring some more food out!

Affordable price, good communication, easy to talk to and email replies quick.

5 star for me. very friendly people.

Sent on 04/15/2016

Krystal · Married on 04/08/2016

Team of Smokin Willy,

Jose and I thank you for the wonderful food and great service at our wedding! Guests had debates on which the salmon and chicken was the best! Of course, they were both so yummy! Jose and I also noticed that your team checked up on each table if they needed anything else. Your team also made sure if Jose and I ate. We are so glad that we had time and were able to taste your food. We heard it was rare for the wed couple to finish their plate and we surely ate it all! Once again, thank you for everything! You are the best!

Jose and Krystal del Mundo

Sent on 04/18/2016
  • User4562078 · 2+ years ago

Chris and his team were amazing! We loved working with them and our guests are STILL raving about the food. We knew from our first meeting with Chris that he would be a good fit. He was friendly, laid back, offered great advice but was never pushy. He listened to what our thoughts and needs and worked with us to come up with a great menu. He was incredibly helpful and gracious, offering his time to do a walk through of the venue, help us determine how much food and drinks would need, and allowed us to store the alcohol we purchased at his deli before and after the wedding. I’m sure he had a ton of other weddings going on, but he always remembered us and treated us like friends rather than clients. Day of, his team was fantastic! Our guests loved seeing them grill up our food and raved over how fresh and flavorful everything was. The service was incredible. We can’t recommend Smoking Willy enough!

Sent on 05/22/2016

Working with Chris and his team was the best decision we made for our wedding! From the moment we met with Chris for our tasting, he was responsive, knowledgeable, flexible, and fun to work with - and the food was amazing! Our guests went out of their way both on our wedding day and after to compliment the food and presentation. The brisket and cornbread stole the show! Chris was also very patient with us as we went through revisions of our menu - he is a true professional and I felt like I was in great hands. He has a lot of experience and talked us through everything. He helped us cultivate the perfect event, from the rehearsal dinner on. Also, Chris' team set up all of our table decorations and dessert buffet and they did an incredible job. When we walked into our reception area for the first time, we were blown away by how perfect it looked. We were blown away again when the food was served - the food was cooked perfectly, the presentation was lovely, and everything tasted incredible. I highly, highly recommend Chris and his team. We could not have asked for anything better!

Sent on 09/29/2015

Ginny · Married on 09/12/2015

We are thrilled with everything about how our wedding food was - from the inquiry process, to the tasting, to the day of, everything was great. So many people were raving about the food, particularly the garlic mashed potatoes and carne asada. I have dreams about that carne asada. Also their green beans with bacon are fantastic, plus they bring the grills and cook the meat on-site so it smells aweseme too. It's all top notch! I thought it was the best wedding food I'd ever had but then I knew I was biased - except we had lots of other people say the same thing!! So not only was the food fantastic, but they provide ALL the rentals too - tables, chairs, linens, dinnerware, even the tent, and that was a HUGE help. It really simplified the process AND saved us money. We found out we had to get a tent permit because of our venue location and Chris took care of that really annoying process, including a visit from the fire marshal, so that we didn't have to. Chris was our point of contact all throughout the process and was managing everything on-site the day of. We couldn't have been happier with his laid back yet professional and on-top-of-things demeanor. The food was the one thing we knew would be a huge hit and it was! Highly recommended.

Sent on 09/16/2015

We hired Smokin Willy to cater our wedding and it was a huge hit! Chris was awesome to work with and really goes above and beyond to meet your expectations. Everyone was raving about how good the food was. Everyone loved the smoker and he and his staff were just amazing. I would highly recommend their services.

Sent on 09/11/2015

Anneliese · Married on 08/29/2015

After searching the Shenandoah Valley for a good BBQ that came with a reliable catering service we were lucky enough to find Chris Scharrer and his Smokin Willy team. From the moment we met Chris at the tasting until the night of the event we felt we were in capable hands. We opted for family style meal and took Chris' suggestions on food selection. Our guests were piling up plates for seconds and thirds. Chris was a planner and a problem solver as well as the chef. Our wedding was a huge success and Smokin Willly played an enormous role in that success.

Sent on 10/31/2015

Danielle · Married on 08/02/2015

Everyone at our wedding loved the food!! They are still talking about how great it was (even our relatives from Texas... And they know good BBQ!). The prices were fair and the quality was great! The staff was easy to work with and they did a great job on our wedding day. They helped the event run smoothly! Our bellies and hearts are grateful!! I would highly recommend Smokin Willy to anyone looking for a yummy BBQ wedding meal!

Sent on 08/19/2015

Lauren · Married on 08/01/2015

The BBQ was amazing!! We got so many compliments from our guests about how delicious the food was! Chris was so nice and always available to answer my questions. Great food and great service!!!

Sent on 08/20/2015

Aubryn · Married on 07/05/2015

Wow. Amazing. That's what we Have to say about Chris Scharrer and smokin Willy's. Wow. Our wedding was entirely outdoors with no on site facilities, so our caterer had to be completely self sufficient. This is what smokin willy's does best and they are AWESOME at it. Chris instilled a great deal of confidence in us from the first day we met, he then delivered on every single promise he made, rolled with a number of last minute changes, and did it all with a smile. A month out when our venue seemed to be dropping the ball on our rentals for tent, chairs, and tables, Chris took all of that on, no problem. His food is awesome, and we are picky. It is all grilled on site-- we had carne asade (exquisite) grilled mesquite chicken (amazing), and grilled portobello mushrooms for the vegetarians--every single person raved about the food. His staff is highly professional--every single one of them was great And Chris himself was on site leading them the day of our wedding. In addition to dinner his team served our cake, hors d'oevres and drinks--even though we brought all our own drinks and alcohol to the wedding. Purchasing our own drinks was great for us and helped us save a lot of money. The thing that most struck me about Chris is his professionalism and integrity. All the way around a pleasure to do business with smokin willy's. If you hire smokin willy you will not worry about a single detail of your reception garaunteed. Thanks Chris!!!!!

Sent on 07/11/2015

amy · Married on 07/04/2015

Chris is the man !! He is so patient and understanding of the stresses of a wedding. There was no issue/situation/request that he could not find an answer for. Chris met me for the walk thru and gave me all the time I needed, providing helpful suggestions and input . We did not have nor need a planner with Chris' assistance. He knew his venue and how to make the reception flow smoothly.
    All of his equipment and supplies were delivered and in place the day before the wedding and he was available to us the entire day thru until the end of the evening. His crew set up not only the reception area but also set up the ceremony space. They served the food (lots of compliments !) on time and hot. they cut and served the cake for us and then stayed until everything was cleaned and the venue returned to its original shape. I truly would have been lost without Chris and his crew.
    We highly recommend that you try Smokin Willy for dinner and for your event catering needs. Ask for Chris---he will make your event a success ! Have to add, Chris is just a really nice person to deal with also. He is easy to talk to and does not try and "nickel and dime" you over every little thing. Much appreciated !

Sent on 08/11/2015

AMAZING! The food was absolutely delicious; we went with a buffet of pulled pork, grilled mesquite chicken, brisket, as well as some great sides (their cornbread is out of this world good!) I love that everything was prepared there; the food tasted fresh, was just the right temperature - I heard that many of our guests went back for seconds and thirds! Chris was great to work with - very responsive and flexible. I 100% recommend this company if you are looking for great food and excellent service!

Sent on 06/18/2015