SM HAIR + MAKEUP Reviews

75 | Saint Michael, MN

75 Reviews for SM HAIR + MAKEUP

Katie · Married on 05/17/2014

I had such a struggle trying to find the right hair and makeup vendors. My normal hairstylist was quoting really high for up-do's for me and my girls. I simply was not comfortable asking my girls to pay that much. Also, we had about 10 people needing hair and 5 waiting make up so we needed a big team to guarentee not having to get up before dawn to start getting ready. SM Makeup completed all of the needs and wants of the day with ease! I LOVE the way all of my girls and I looked! I had a consultation ahead of time so I could really explain what I wanted and appreciated the teams attention to detail and really listening to what I wanted. They were easy to work with, professional, knowledgeable, and friendly! I am so glad I found this team for my day and STRONGLY recommend them to everyone I know getting married now!

Sent on 07/25/2014

There is nothing more frightening than to think that you would not have your dream look on your wedding day. I went to several make up artists to have trials done, hoping that it would turn out great. I was disappointed each time, but decided to try one more place-SM Makeup, and I am SO happy that I found them. I cannot begin to explain how amazing Stephanie was. I showed her many pictures of what I was looking for, and omg she did exactly what I wanted! She reassured me that everything would turn out great, and honestly I have never felt more beautiful in my life! She was extremely kind, patient, helpful, and listened to all of my concerns. I cannot be more grateful. Thank you so much Stephanie!! :)

Sent on 07/19/2014

Kaylee · Married on 06/30/2017

SM Makeup is by far the best value you will find for event / wedding hair and makeup in the Twin Cities. Trust me, I did all the research. While they don’t have “rock bottom” prices, their prices are incredibly reasonably, but the quality of their work is exceptional. Their team comes to your location (and were early!) and does all the hair and makeup on site. The girls are fun and make the “getting ready” portion of your day a memorable, enjoyable time. I had multiple comments from members of my party (there were 6 girls getting stuff done plus me - the bride) of how impressed they were with the hair and makeup artists, their skills, and especially HOW QUICKLY they got everything done.

I had my bridal hair done by Chelsy Rosett and she was absolutely incredible. Aside from her easy going, fun personality, she is an incredibly talented hair stylist. I received so many compliments throughout the night about how gorgeous my hair was and it is all thanks to Chelsy’s talents. Also - the hair stayed until the very end, which makes a difference (I’ve seen many brides with hair that looks sub par by dinner). I never resprayed my hair throughout the night or worried about it.

My makeup done by the owner Stephanie Martin. She is amazing. She is so sweet, kind and truly tries to understand exactly what you want and makes it come to life. She made me feel the most beautiful I ever have and that is an invaluable feeling - especially on your wedding day. My groom said to me multiple times throughout the night - I always knew you were beautiful, but today you look absolutely stunning. He was blown away.

Thank you SM Makeup for being a part of our day, and making me - and all members of my party - feel gorgeous.

Sent on 07/15/2017

Christina · Married on 11/15/2014

I used SM Makeup to do my makeup and my entire wedding party's make up for my wedding (6 bridesmaids, 2 mothers, 1 flower girl)! Stephanie and her team did an amazing job! From the trial to the day off - everything was great! I would definitely recommend SM Makeup to any bride/bridal party!

Sent on 01/19/2015
  • User3052035 · 2+ years ago

SM Makeup just recently did my wedding. Throughout the process, they were quick to respond and to answer any questions, provide any advice, or make any adjustments.

Our makeup artists were fun, friendly, and very professional. They made me feel comfortable from the trial throughout the day of the wedding. They were very friendly to my family and bridesmaids and were joking around all day with us, helping us to relax. They were even a calming presence when my photographer was running late and I was freaking out :)

We made quite a few adjustments from the trial on the day of - I just had in my head at the trial I needed to go crazy when that isn't my style. They were both very flexible and made the changes as I requested them.

My hair and makeup looked PHENOMENAL, and my bridesmaids were all stunning as well. To be honest, I was a little nervous before I went that they would outshine me, they looked that good :) The makeup held up well in photos and lasted from 10 until we closed the bar down (and it was 85 degrees and sunny out). Hair held through the entire night, even after sleeping on it.

Overall, I couldn't have been happier. The artists were friendly, talented, on time, and very professional. Everyone looked beautiful and it was nice being pampered! I would definitely recommend them for any occasion!

Sent on 10/02/2014

Kaitlin · Married on 07/21/2017

Chelsy was so great to work with. I booked her for my hair and hair for my bridesmaids/personal attendant. It was a little difficult to get things booked in the beginning, but after sorting that out, the process was great. Since I was planning from Chicago, I was able to do an initial consultation with her when I was in town several months in advance. After finishing it there were several adjustments I wanted to make and Chelsy was more than accommodating. I emailed photos to her of what I was looking for and she assured me that even if I changed my mind completely the day of the wedding that she'd be able to do whatever I wanted.

The day of the wedding was great, Chelsy showed up early to house we were getting ready at and was able to get through all 5 us in record time, even with adjustments and tweaks after people's makeup was finished. Everyone loved their hair, it all turned out better than we'd anticipated. I would definitely recommend her!

Sent on 07/31/2017

Carly · Married on 05/19/2017

As any bride understands, there is nothing like great vendor service on days leading up to your wedding and, most importantly, the day of. Stephanie (the owner) was graceful in helping navigate my needs and we worked together to find the right stylist that fit the hair I was envisioning for my wedding day.

Enter Robin Kurtz.

Positive, organized, on-time, up-lifting, honest, funny, and a great listener. Due to my work schedule, we couldn't schedule my trial hair until a week before my wedding. I was getting a little burnt out of running errands and Robin (without me asking) offered to come to my house to do the trial. What!? Talk about a weight lifted off my shoulders! Truly amazing service. We worked out a couple different styles and there was no doubt I could trust Robin to execute on my wedding day.

She did a phenomenal job on my wedding party, mother, and my hair was stunning. I look at my wedding pictures and am so happy with how everything turned out. I will always have great memories of the experience and, of course, great pictures to show off for years to come. Thank you Robin and SM Team!

Carly Burnam

Sent on 06/16/2017

Lori · Married on 11/19/2016

I used SM Makeup as my hair only vendor for my November 19th wedding. Our stylist assigned to our bridal party was Cassi. Cassi was a sweet heart. She was 15 min early on the day of the wedding. She was so friendly, caring and professional. All of my bridesmaids loved their hair and it stayed all night :) At my trial we did a hair style I thought I wanted and the morning of the wedding, I changed my mind and wanted something very different. She handled the change great and I absolutely loved my hair and it stayed in place ALL night long!! Cassi even stayed with us until I was in my dress and did any last minute sprays with my hair, she even helped others who needed anything!! I would highly recommend SM Makeup, Inc.

Sent on 12/10/2016

Kaydee · Married on 10/15/2016

SM Make-Up Inc is a no-brainer for a wedding! Stephanie did my make-up and Chelsy did my hair for my wedding, and it was AMAZING!!! They go above-and beyond. They made me and all of my bridesmaids and personal attendants feel amazing! I used SM Make-Up Inc for my engagement shoot (hair and makeup) and had worked with them before when I was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding. They make you feel gorgeous! You show them a picture of what you want, and they make your vision a reality!! It is so great that they come to you! These girls are the best!!! You will no be disappointed!

Sent on 10/30/2016

Danielle · Married on 08/27/2016

What bride and her party doesn’t want to look their absolute best on their wedding day and in pictures that you’ll be looking at for years to come? SM Makeup is the company to make sure you do. We had Chelsy for hair and makeup and her skills are beyond amazing. The trial run (which is done at the owner’s house, so don’t be confused when GPS takes you to a neighborhood) was a must- it gives your stylist the time needed to fine-tune your look to be just what you want. Even though my girls didn’t have trial runs, Chelsy took their ideas and brought them to life. The company was even great about all the last minute changes I had (had a few girls add makeup at the end and I changed the location on them). Their prices are really reasonable and absolutely WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Sent on 09/13/2016

Abbie · Married on 08/06/2016

Stephanie and her team are INCREDIBLE! From the moment I decided to book SM Makeup, planning was a breeze. For my consultation, I explained the look I was going for, and with one try, it was exactly how I imagined it. On my wedding day, I decided last minute to do less makeup and do my hair a bit differently than we did in the consultation, and they were so willing to do whatever I wanted. The team was very friendly, fast, and just fun to be around. All of my bridesmaids loved their looks and pricing was affordable. Hair and Makeup was the least stressful thing on my to-do list, thanks to this team! Thank you SM Makeup for the best day ever!

Sent on 11/27/2016

Ashley · Married on 08/28/2015

It's was an awesome experience, the staff were so flexible and knowledgable and the results were totally worth it. My wedding was August of 2015 and they were so accommodating with my schedule and came out to the venue to do hair makeup and tattoo removal

Sent on 12/14/2015
  • Alyson

Alyson · Married on 07/11/2015

Sarah did my trial and makeup on the day; she is lovely. She did a great job and we all looked beautiful. Both Stephanie and Sarah were very responsive through email and made the process very easy.

Sent on 07/12/2015

Erin · Married on 04/25/2015

A group of girls and I had a consult with Cristina on Saturday, April 18th. She was on time, upbeat and so much fun. She listened to what each of us wanted (ages ranging from 25-55) and made all of us feel like our most fabulous selves!

On the day of the wedding, 4/25/15 Cristina and Chi were both on time (even with it being very early, sorry!) and ready to rock! They were both very professional, and had fun with us while we rocked out to 90's pop music. They were fun, friendly and handled all 7 of us quickly and with stunning results. Cristina prepared a touch-up kit for me as well for the day of and that was extremely helpful.

Overall, I would recommend SM Makeup to ANYONE who is looking for this type of service. I was very happy with the level of communication with Stephanie, and the girls she sent us to work with us.

Kudos to a great experience :)

Sent on 05/11/2015

Chrissy · Married on 09/05/2014

I am so thankful that Stephanie and SM Makeup were part of our special day. I wanted nothing but the best for my wedding party, mother and myself that day and they delivered. Everyone looked their very best, flawless and naturally beautiful as they are. They're kindness, patience and expertise were exceptional. - Chrissy

Sent on 11/02/2014

Mirela · Married on 05/25/2014

SM Make-up Team was wonderful for my wedding make-up and hair services! She was very quick to reply when inquiring about the services and details and very flexible to schedule a trial session. One of the only artists I could find that does not charge for a trial session and took her time trying everything out. Truly listened for the kind of look I wanted to have for my wedding and asked to make sure I was satisfied after the trial. Made every and any little adjustments I needed, and was super nice and professional! Steph does an amazing job with make up, and Cassie did a phenomenal job with my hair! I'm so thankful I chose SM Make up as my artist and would definitely recommend their services to any bride! Thank you for a wonderful job done and even keeping me calm as I was a nervous/emotional bride that day, and going above and beyond!

Sent on 10/03/2014

Chelsy did an excellent job with my bridal hair and makeup! Ashley also did a great job with all my bridesmaids hair.

Sent on 10/01/2015

3.5

SM Makeup was the best vendor choice I had made for my whole wedding! They were so accommodating and easy to work with! I had a big group wanting to do hair (8 bridesmaids, two moms, and myself) along with a few wanting makeup (3 bridesmaids and myself) and the team was so quick, yet doing a fabulous job on each and everyone of us! They were doing such a good job that at least 3 other bridesmaids ended up getting their makeup done on the spot because they were loving how everyone else's makeup was turning out! A huge plus for me with booking their team was that they have stylists all over so a travel fee to St. Cloud was very small (unlike other vendors). I would definitely recommend these ladies to my friends and family!

Sent on 10/24/2016

Great team, definitely willing to cater to whatever you want/need. The trial for hair and makeup is included in the pricing, which was important to me. SM Makeup made feel lovely on my wedding day.

Sent on 02/03/2015

Lizz · Married on 10/18/2015

I loved working with Cassi and Emily, my hair and makeup stylists from SM Makeup. Meeting them at the trial, they asked me just the right questions (and filled in the blanks where I didn't know) to give me the perfect bridal look right out of the gate.

Our wedding day beauty started nice and early, but Emily and Cassi were able to travel to our venue and kept on schedule the whole morning. My bridal party looked gorgeous! My stylists were professional and personable, and we had a great time!

Sent on 10/24/2015

Nicole · Married on 09/26/2014

3.5

I could NOT have asked for a better team to work with on my wedding day. Stephanie and her team did a wonderful job on the bridal party, mother of the bride/groom, and myself. I am not very decisive which made the wedding planning process difficult at times, but Stephanie and her team made this part of the wedding flow smoothly and knew exactly what I wanted and what would look best on me. After viewing their work online, and hearing from a few friends that had used SM Makeup in the past, I knew I would not be disappointed. SM Makeup are phenomenal at what they do, and are willing to work with you to create your perfect vision for your wedding day. My hair and makeup were one of the most important parts of my special day, and I couldn't keep track of the number of individuals that commented on both my hair and makeup, not to mention several of which contacted me for Stephanie's information. They turned out absolutely perfect. I truly felt like the most beautiful bride. Not to mention, the wedding party and both mother's looked stunning and were just as happy with both their hair and makeup. I would highly recommend SM Makeup. They are a wonderful team full of talent, truly enjoy what they do, and are affordable. Thank you Stephanie!

Sent on 11/25/2014

3.8
      3.0

Overall, I had a pretty good experience with SM Makeup. I originally choose them because their prices were reasonable. My stylist, Cristina, was very sweet and took time during my consultation to make sure she understood my needs. My hair and makeup looked natural, which is what I desired. I was a little disappointed that my hair had already begun to fall out by the reception, despite me asking her to add extra product. One other frustration is that we had specifically asked for two blowouts for the MOB and MOG but the stylists showed up unprepared for that task, which added extra stress during the getting ready period. I did wish they had sent more help for styling as hair and makeup took a long time on my wedding day. Nonetheless, the reasonable price and kindness of the staff overshadowed our frustrations.

Sent on 10/05/2016

Emily · Married on 04/28/2018

3.2
      3.0

I had Megan do my hair and it was ABSOLUTELY incredible ! I would rate hair a 5. She did blow away my expectations. My make up on the other hand was pretty awful. It was great until the makeup artist did not finish my eyelashes completely and then came back to it. My eye watered the entire day because the false eyelash was put on so badly. I had to fix my makeup at least 7 times with my own make up. I suggest doing your own eyelashes.

Sent on 05/11/2018

Jessica · Married on 08/29/2015

1.4
      1.0

The owner took days, sometimes weeks to get back to me. I was told I would get a refund because the make up didn't stay on and it's been over 4 weeks and still have yet to get a refund. The owner is also rude and unprofessional. If being treated well is just as important to you as the work then use a different company!!

Sent on 10/01/2015

SM HAIR + MAKEUP's reply:

This review is simply not true.
    The makeup she's referring to that "didn't stay on" was for a tattoo that she asked to be covered. We weren't aware that this service would be needed so the timeline didn't quite allow for it. It was a large tattoo that would have needed a good amount of time, so our artist did the best she could with the time given.
    Then, the very next day I sent an apology to the bride and offered a full refund which she was sent. I have the check stub to prove it.
    I AM the owner, and I am the farthest thing from rude and unprofessional. I go above and beyond to make sure our clients know they are appreciated.
    I think the majority of our clients would vouch for that.

Colin · Married on 11/10/2017

1.0

I used Thumbtack to find hair and makeup artist for my wedding in November. I am incredibly nervous about my hair and makeup because I do not usually have either done so I did a lot of research. SM hair and makeup seemed like the perfect match for the hairstyle I want and having a makeup artist. They responded to my original search on thumbtack, then replied to my message that had some questions. The message said "Hi Anna!

For 7 hair we'd probably send 2 stylists and need about 3 hours. So possibly a timeline of 9am-12pm?

We do require at least 3 full makeup applications to send a makeup artist- do you think you could find two more girls for makeup? If not, let me know!

The travel fee to your location would be $15, one flat fee- however, we do require the bride to cover any, and all parking expenses our staff obtain while working your event.

To proceed with booking we do require a $200 deposit- this does go towards your final wedding day costs and/or a trial run. That being said, we do offer trial runs 6-8 weeks before your wedding day- the cost is $100 for hair & makeup, or $50 per single service.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if you'd like to proceed with booking, and I will confirm with Stephanie about the makeup artist!

Thanks again,
    Becca"

I responded saying I would like to proceed with booking and asked how to pay the deposit. I heard nothing for a few days. So I sent a "booking" confirmation on thumbtack a couple days later and still did not get a response. So after a week of no response I called the salon and also left a message on thumbtack that if I did not hear back by the end of the day that I would be seeking a hair and makeup artist somewhere else. NO bride wants to settle for an unreliable service. I am very disappointed because I liked their portfolio, but I want a service that is sure to show up and be reliable that one that has the best portfolio but is not responsive.

Sent on 09/08/2017