SimplyTwo Photography Reviews

SimplyTwo Photography 6
SimplyTwo Photography 7

Kaisarine · Married on 03/23/2013

OVE LOVE LOVE JOHN!
    My husband and I hand our wedding celebration on March 23, 2013. We have seen a sneak peek of the photos from our wedding and they look amazing! We cannot wait to see the rest =)
    I first met John back in 2011 when I attended my friends wedding. Funny thing because I caught the bouquet at her wedding, and a little less than a year later, I was engaged to be married (I guess the bouquet doesn't lie). Lucky me, John caught the moment on camera. When I saw John's photos of my friends wedding, I knew that when I get married, I was going to have John be the photographer. I loved all his photos and I would periodically stalk his blog. When my husband and I got engaged, the first vendor I knew I had to book was John for our photographer for our engagement photos and wedding. My dream was to have John shoot. When I looked at John's website I was so sad to see that it showed that he was fully booked for 2012. However, I still decided to email him, and when he responded, I was so excited to find out that he was only fully booked for wedding in 2012, he was still available for engagement shoots. We got package 3, and the price was reasonable for what we were getting. I've seen other packages from other photographers who were more expensive and they offered less, and I liked their work less.
    So John and I started brainstorming for the engagement shoot, where we would have it and what the themes would be. We definitely fed off of each others ideas. When our engagement shoot day came, we had so much fun! John made my husband and I very comfortable, and the shots he took were amazing! Everybody loved them.
    On the day before our wedding, John met us at the wedding ceremony, to scope out the wedding rehearsal, it was so nice of him to do that. When the big day finally came, John was always there to capture the major moments without feeling like he was in the way. That's what you want, a ninja photographer. Can't wait to see the rest of the wedding photos!

Sent on 06/04/2013

Gloria · Married on 03/16/2013

In the search for our wedding photographer, we had a list of demands. We wanted someone who was creative, easy to work with, flexible, and budget friendly. After meeting with John, we knew he was the photographer for the job. From his samples of an underwater photo shoot to an evening session filled with light painting, his Photoshop skills inspired us to challenge him with our engagement session. John was excited with our ideas, even when we ended our session late, trying to light sparklers against the wind, while standing knee-deep in the ocean. The day of our wedding went by quickly, but John made sure to stay ahead of schedule while still getting the shots we wanted. He was able to shoot our wedding solo and worked well with our videography team. We definitely recommend John for your special day. Thanks for capturing our memories, John! We can't wait to see our album!

Sent on 06/18/2013

We had the pleasure of working with John this past weekend for our big day. We couldn't be happier with his service. Ever since our initial contact, John has always been extremely responsive and answered all our questions. We can tell he really cared about getting the best photos possible. He took extra time to meet with my hotel coordinator to scout out the key photo areas throughout the resort. He also came to my rehearsal so we can plan out the logistics of the photos and discuss any creative ideas we had. He truly went above and beyond to make sure our photos came out perfect! Not only that, our preview photos were available the very next day! No waiting weeks and weeks..
    He was always punctual and extremely professional throughout the whole process. Everyone in my bridal party felt really comfortable working with him.
    Pick John and it'll be the best decision you've ever made!

Sent on 03/12/2013

Hong · Married on 03/02/2013

John was a pleasure to work with! We couldn't have been happier with our choice in photographer for our engagement shoot and wedding!!! First of all his work speaks for itself. His style is natural, creative and captures the mood. He can make a great shot out of nothing. You don't see what he's seeing until he shows you and you are in awe of how he did it. John utilizes all of what is available to him at any moment and makes it look fantastic!!! I had a reflective cake topper that turned into a shot that looked like it was photoshopped! The sky is the limit. On top of his talent, John is easy going and will work with you in any place or situation. My husband and I are both camera shy but John made us feel completely comfortable. We wanted to do our engagement shoot in the bathroom that my husband proposed in and John was more excited than we were! John even texted us the day before the wedding to see how we were doing. Thank you John!

Sent on 03/07/2013

Daniel · Married on 01/19/2013

John is THE best wedding photographer. It was too bad we couldn't book him for our wedding, but he was awesome enough to do an engagement session for us (he's crazy booked, so try to lock him down ASAP!). We were so awkward at first, but he was patient enough with us and made us feel so comfortable. By the end of the night we were having way too much fun. Thank you so much for giving us the most amazing photos that we're so in awe of. :)

Sent on 02/12/2013

Christopher · Married on 01/05/2013

SimplyTwo Photography is in one word "Amazing"; really, truly amazing. From planning the photo shoots (engagement / wedding + reception) to last shot John was professional, reliable and fun. John is genuinely passionate about his craft. He puts so much time and care into everything he does from each creative session to shooting the session and editing every photo.

Before each session John spent an hour with my wife and me over gchat (we were in SD, LA and Bakersfield at the time) to go over types of shots we wanted, locations, attire and props. At the sessions John met us with multiple cameras in hand and ready to shoot. He was cool, calm and friendly. EXTREMELY easy to work with, relaxing to be around and DID NOT rush us (A huge plus). Our chemistry was great and John knew every last detail of the locations (Coronado Island and USD) which made for intimate and very beautiful photo opportunities.

Just over 7 to 10 days days later John posted some photos on his blog / posted a link on facebook (with our permission before the session). Both my wife and I were were amazed by them; seriously phenomenal. We're both pretty hard critics, especially trying to capture important memories but John exceed our exceptions. The photos he was able to capture manage to bring out the story of our wedding / starting a new life together, complete with elegance, class and humor. If I can give bonus points above the 5.0 rating I would in a heartbeat. Thank you John for being "Amazing!"

Sent on 01/29/2013

Valerie · Married on 12/30/2012

John really has the gift to captured love and preserve it so beautifully on film! He captured the magic of our wedding day so wonderfully and he was absolutely fantastic to work with. John's style is keeping it real, he doesn't place you in awkward positions or have you strike unnatural poses, rather he finds beautiful lighting and says "just be in love and occupy this space right here" and then, when you see the pictures the photos are so real and genuine. It's fun when he gets excited about a shot because you know that photo's going to be a winner! For our engagement/wedding photos, he immediately sent us some teaser photos just to keep our excitement high. He was very responsive over email and phone and overall very reliable. On the other hand, he has a very relaxed and comfortable demeanor so it's very easy to just be yourself in front of him. The bridal party and family all really enjoyed working with him and we were all impressed with his pictures. We picked simply two photography because the pictures John takes are true art and they make you look stunning. Thanks John for everything, you helped to make our day perfect!

Sent on 01/25/2013

John is great at what he does and is a pleasure to work with! He squeezed us in to his 2012 calendar with less than 2 months to go when he was already fully booked and not only did he do his job on the day of, he came to our rehearsal far far away to see the venue and meet the immediate family wedding party. He also ended up walking us through the rehearsal because our officiant was not able to come. :) He's very easy to work with and will listen to what you want. He is also very laid back but takes his work very seriously and is professional. We can't wait to see the final product and the album! Thanks JOhN! - anonymous (sorry john you know who we are! :) )

Sent on 01/22/2013

Kelly · Married on 12/08/2012

We knew we wanted John to be our wedding photographer, YEARS before getting married! He was the easiest and best vendor we booked for our big day. We didn't have to worry about anything. John really cares about each couple he works with and has the professionalism and quality to boot! The hubby and I are in love with our engagement and wedding photos. John really goes above and beyond a wedding photographers' duties and adds his personal flair and expertise in all of his shots. He gets to know every couple he works with, and knows what they're looking for in their photos. John is very efficient, responsive, caring, and great to work with.

Sent on 08/05/2013
  • Luisa

Luisa · Married on 10/27/2012

I knew of John’s work through his sister and I’ve been following his work for years. When I got engaged, I already knew that I wanted to hire John as our photographer, but off course I had to convince the future hubby (which didn’t take long). John is the type of person who is passionate about his work, is talented, is spontaneous, gives great direction and is easy to work with. During our first meeting, I showed him a picture of a Hollywood issue of Vanity Fair, and without saying anything he read my mind (replicating a similar portrait to the picture with my wedding party). When we took our E-session, I felt at easy simply because I’m anti-PDA. However, John and with the help of my future hubby, I was able to let go and pretend that no one (besides my future hubby) was around, which made the E-session easy and fun. Now fast forward to our wedding day, all I can say is that John is AMAZING!!! I received compliments on how professional and talented he was. A few days after the wedding I received the teasers from him and all I can say is WOW! One of my favorite pictures is our bar picture (the Vanity Fair inspirational image). The hubby and I showed some of the pictures to our family and friends and they LOVED, LOVED, LOVED them. I highly recommend John to all the couples out there.

Thank you John, I can’t wait to see the rest of my pictures.

Sent on 11/07/2012

Jane Ann · Married on 10/20/2012

John at SimplyTwo was a pleasure to work with. Throughout the wedding planning process, the best advice to receive is to go with someone you feel comfortable with, and throughout our time working with John, nothing has been easier. John was always easy to talk to and discuss ideas with and willing to try new things without hesitation. And if he did, he'd have a good reason as to why not. At first my fiance and I had quite some reluctance to have a person we just met snap photos of us for our engagement session, but after chatting with John before and all throughout the session, nothing seemed more natural. John has a way with people that makes people -- or at least us -- feel like we've known him for years.

Perhaps the best thing about John and his works is that nothing is the same. If you look throughout his portfolio, the couples never seem to be posed in the same way -- there's always something different about each picture and each couple. John has made each of his couples' sessions unique to each of them and allows for their characteristics to shine far beyond the picture itself. The pictures he takes aren't just of another bride and groom that can be interchanged, but of a specific couple caught in a specific moment that is true to them.

Sent on 11/13/2012

david & may · Married on 09/23/2012

I think most couples going into planning for their wedding will put much emphasis on whom they choose for photography... it is the essence in which all of your memories (engagement, pre-wedding, wedding and post-wedding) will be able to be re-lived and shared with friends, loved-ones and family.

Prior to meeting with John, we met with numerous other photographers and studios. Right off the bat, the connection that we had with John was very instantaneous and genuine and we really knew that if we had the opportunity to work with one another, we would not pass on it.

The most common fear for those of us that are not comfortable taking pictures or feel we are not exactly photogenic is to get in front of a camera. Let me just say that John eased all these fears and made us feel completely at ease! The professionalism that he exudes is beyond expectation and out of all the vendors that we used for our wedding, he was the most punctual and accessible.

It must be said that when you choose your vendors for a wedding, especially photography... you need to choose a studio that you can trust in the quality and attentiveness of the work performed. SimplyTwo Photography goes above and beyond all expectations and I would and have highly recommended their services to capture that special day and beyond.

Thank you Simplytwo for capturing all the special moments of our special day!

Sincerely,

May and David

Sent on 09/27/2012

Ericka · Married on 09/22/2012

John was better than we could have ever hoped for! Our wedding and engagement pictures were a top priority for us when we were planning so we researched many photographers. He made us feel so comfortable and really caught the perfect moments from our day. The pictures we got back were all so beautiful that we had a hard time picking only a few for our save the date cards. The previews that we have seen so far look amazing and we can't wait to see more. We would highly recommend Simply Two to anyone who is looking for a photographer!

Sent on 11/15/2012

Heather · Married on 09/22/2012

As with any diligent bride-to-be the first thing I look for is an extraordinary photographer to capture my special day. And that's exactly what John of SimplyTwo was to us. From our very first email exchange John already felt very personable unlike some of the more generic responds I got from other photographers. We really loved his vibrant colors, creative style and friendly personality so right after our first meeting we quickly booked him before anyone else does even though our wedding day then was an entire year away.

Our engagement session with John was by far the most casual and easy going photo session. He listened to what kind pictures we want and at the same time he comes up with these most creative and fun ideas. We even used one of his new R&D concepts for our party favor! 3-D photos! How cool is that! So by wedding day time we already knew what to expect from John, but I think my friends and wedding party was shocked at how easy going he was and had a blast during our creative session. John is also very quick in sending us (a lot of) teaser photos literally the day after the wedding. We thought our engagement pictures were great, but when we saw the wedding pictures we were blown away! I am so looking forward to seeing the rest of the pictures!

What I have learned from this entire process is that you want a photographer that takes exceptionally awesome pictures but also someone that you feel comfortable with, trust and can bring out the best in you and everyone else. That’s why I highly recommend John of SimplyTwo to anyone looking for a great photographer.

Sent on 11/27/2012

Alice · Married on 09/08/2012

John is awesome and I really recommend him! At first I was really hesitant about taking pictures being a girl and all. But John makes you feel really comfortable and natural in front of the camera. If I had to use one word to describe John "Ninja" would be it, majority of the time you don't realize your pictures are being taken. He is that fantastic! Saw our previews and highlight pictures and instantly fell in love with them. He really knows how to capture that special moment! Got tons of praise from family and friends! Thanks John again!

Sent on 10/24/2012

A public photoshoot for hours on end with a groom who hates taking photos sounds like a bride's worst nightmare, right? But from the very moment we both met John in Pasadena for our engagement session, I knew it was going to be an awesome day! John has a way about him that makes you feel comfortable almost instantaneously. He gave us specific directions so we never stood around wondering what to do. If we felt awkward he would say something to make us both laugh. We had a really fun day together that ended with a delicious sushi dinner! Not only does John have a wicked sense of humor, his talent as a photographer is beyond us. When we got the pictures back a month later it took our breath away! We loved it and our friends and family loved it! On the day of our wedding, I never had to worry about him. He got along great with the wedding party and I received many compliments about how nice he was. There's photographers who can take some nice photos, but John is the full package. We are so grateful we found him and would recommend him to our nearest and dearest friends! From the both of us, thank you so much John!

Sent on 09/24/2012

VANESSA · Married on 08/25/2012

John is absolutely amazing to work with. There are so many positive things to say about him and my experience with his work. He is super friendly and so easy going! I instantly felt at ease at our first meeting. As for his work, he is extremely talented, passionate for photography, and very artistic. He has this gift of capturing the most amazing lighting and making his clients (that would be us, lol) look stunning! I was very nervous before our engagement session. John made me feel so comfortable throughout the session and I instantly felt like a pro. He was so much fun to work with. He was very patient, receptive to all my suggestions, and had great ideas to offer. I could not have been happier with our photos. Our images came out phenomenal!!! They more than exceeded our expectations! We have received endless compliments from our friends and family on our engagement pictures.

John is also very professional. He responded to my emails the very same day and always made sure to touch base with me. John was very flexible and was quick in getting our engagement pictures out to us in time to do our save the date postcards. One thing that I really appreciate about John is that he sent us some teaser shots of our engagement session as well as of our wedding, the very next day. I didn’t have to wait for weeks in agony to see our pictures. I cannot wait to see our album. I will have the most beautiful memories of my wedding day thanks to John! It was truly a great pleasure to work with him. My husband and I could not have been any happier with our choice in photographer. John, you are awesome!

Sent on 09/14/2012
  • Vinh & Annie

Annie · Married on 08/20/2012

Oh where do we begin with our review on John... Well first of all, I have been following John for years prior to getting engaged. I fell in love with his photojournalism & how he is able to tell a story through his photos, the couple's story. After being proposed to, I had to convince the future hubby to hire John as our photographer. John was very quick to respond (& always has) & answered all of our silly questions. Fast forward to our engagement session, we felt so at ease when meeting John for the first time that it felt like we've known him for years. John has ninja skills, too. You don't even know he's taking photos of you both since you're so at ease. He can make anyone feel comfortable in front of the camera. Too bad our engagement session got cut short due to a huge wave killing most of John's gear *insert super sad face here* However, I think that made us come closer. Fast forward again to our wedding, John was helpful in helping me organize my thoughts come wedding day. I was getting slightly nervous, but he made our whole wedding party at ease. He was professional with our guests & especially to our family members. John was also very flexible with guests wanting to have bride/groom time & still getting the perfect shots in the absolute most perfect settings/lighting. I don't think we have laughed so much as when we are with John & that happiness from being married has definitely shown through in the previews that John has already sent us. We also had the pleasure of doing an encore session with John the next day & that was spontaneous & the most fun photoshoot ever! John definitely has a talent that not many possess & you definitely will not find a photographer with more personality & genuine passion in getting that perfect OMG shot for your special day. He goes above & beyond what you expect! Also, he takes photos like a boss! I'd write more but WeddingWire won't let me :P

Sent on 08/25/2012

V · Married on 08/11/2012

John has been an asset throughout my whole wedding process. He provided wonderful recommendations for most of my vendors and answered all of my questions promptly -- sometimes even instantaneously -- even if they weren't photography-related, which most of them weren't =P

I also have to commend John for being so patient with us, even though my husband and I have to be the most critical people in the world of ourselves. If I found a photo that I liked, my husband was sure to dislike it and vice versa. It was so hard to select photos for our guestbook! Though we were probably quite difficult, John was always a professional and always gracious.

The second our wedding photos (the teasers) went online, I have been receiving calls from friends and family to tell us how beautiful the photos are. I love them too, and can't wait to see the rest!

Sent on 08/19/2012

Eric · Married on 08/05/2012

Simplytwo Photography is world class. John goes up and beyond to meet his client's needs and service is unmatched. We hired John because i was a groomsman at a wedding where he did the photography. 7 years later, he still outranked any photographer in my mind and was at the top of the list when it came to choosing a photographer for our wedding. He is fun and makes you feel comfortable in front of the camera. We hired a photographer for our wedding but ended up with a new friend.

Sent on 09/21/2012
  • User2046778 · 2+ years ago

John is AWESOME and great to work with. He takes great photos and is willing to do just about anything to get whatever shot you want.

Sent on 10/27/2012

Eric · Married on 08/05/2012

one of the best in his industry

Sent on 10/05/2015

Ray · Married on 07/14/2012

John Yao was a pleasure to work with. From the beginning, my wife and I were very pleased in how he presented himself. A quick little story with John... we met up with him for the first time and we noticed that he was carrying an old cookbook. Something that you would see in the early to mid 90's. As we were talking and gotten to the point of wanting to see his pictures, I had asked "Do you have your albums or laptop in the car?". Low and behold, he opened the "old cookbook" and it was a cover for his iPad. From there on, we knew that he was the one to shoot our pictures.
    His calm and friendly personality made our engagment session easy. John was very creative and gave direction well. Mind you, we needed a lot! Plus, he just showed us the teaser pics for our wedding day and it was great. Everyone who have seen the pictures raves about how great they turned out. I would recommend John in shooting your wedding and engagement pictures. He's come out to be a friend in all of this and that in itself is a plus.

Sent on 07/18/2012

Eleanor · Married on 07/07/2012

John Yao is an excellent photographer and a lot of fun to work with. He is willing to change up his plans when necessary, he really listens to what the couple wants and needs, and he puts in a lot of effort to giv you fabulous photos. While he is a more expensive photographer, I really believe you get what you pay for!

Sent on 07/23/2012

Jenny · Married on 06/30/2012

We are so glad the John was our wedding photographer! Not only is he extremely talented, but he is also professional and puts 200% into his work, both during engagement photo session and on wedding day as well. Not only is he very professional with his work, but he also makes our photo sessions fun and comfortable - which makes a big difference in our facial expressions and such! John is also great at leading and directing the crowd during our hectic huge group photos during wedding. Every minute he was there, he put all of his heart into taking as many beautiful photos as possible. I saw some of our preview wedding photos and they look amazing! Not only is he a TALENTED photographer, but continues to work very hard and strives to be better. I have great respect for him and so lucky to have John as our wedding photographer! Highly recommended!

Sent on 07/04/2012