Shutters on the Beach Reviews

36 | Santa Monica, CA

36 Reviews for Shutters on the Beach

• pengwedding

Srivitta & Steve · Married on 07/25/2010

Shutters made our wedding the most memorable day of our lives. Here's our review of each facet of our day:

-Ceremony area (Pacific Terrace): What a gorgeous place. It's quiet, with greenery, flower shrubs,and a fireplace. We didn't need to amplify our music, just a simple acoustic guitar. I heard our musician just fine.

-Catering: Our catering manager, Toby, was great. Always professional, prompt, and efficient. I'd email him with endless questions, and get a response in a few hours. Or if I'd call, I'd get a call back within the day. I never felt stressed out working with him. You are in good hands with Toby!

-Banquet captain: They served everyone on time, without a hitch. To our pleasant surprise, they saved the top layer of our cake for us and delivered to us when we checked out the next morning!

-Bar: We designed our own cocktails, with a few exotic ingredients like basil and lychee. Could they do it? Of course, they could!! And, the drinks were DELICIOUS. I will note that I heard a few guests complain that they wouldn't serve shots---just ask for the drink over ice and you're fine.

-Hotel Suite: Perfect, perfect, perfect. The bridal suite was bigger than a 1 bedroom apartment! We had an ocean view, with huge bathtub, closet space, cozy couches, and turn down service. The staff did a fantastic job of cleaning our room after the tornado of bridal party prep, so that we could enjoy it the evening after our wedding.

-Some improvements I'd recommend would be to update the ballroom carpet and some of the common areas, but other than that, no complaints! One other downside is that it is expensive. If you don't care about chivari chairs, or special linens, or crazy pink uplights, then you'll save money. Spend it on the venue!

Shutters on the Beach lives up to being a "Leading Hotel of the World", and I can't wait to go back for our anniversary.

Sent on 09/09/2010

Brenda · Married on 05/08/2010

I am so happy we booked Shutters. Everything was perfect. The wedding package is actually quite reasonable and included a choice of cakes (Cake Divas or Vanilla Bake Shop), and open bar for 3 hours. The food was delicious, the space was beautiful, the staff was attentive and professional. Toby was a joy to work with. Our suite was amazing and we got a great deal on it for the night before the wedding so that it would be ready for the bridal party to get ready in. My only negative is how early the guaranteed room block expires. They release the block 90 days before the event - which is 2 weeks before invitations are supposed to go out. It was very difficult on some of our guests to plan that far out so we had to arrange a second hotel block as well.

Sent on 07/13/2010

alicia · Married on 07/25/2009

3.5

michael made sure our day was exactly what we wanted. he was a pleasure to work with. all of the details were taken care of. it was expensive... but what do you want to pay for perfection?? overall, the weekend exceeded our expectations. we would do it again in a heart beat.

Sent on 10/18/2009

Mary · Married on 05/12/2007

3.0

Shutters comes with our highest recommendations! My husband and I can't imagine having our wedding anywhere else. It was so important to us to find a location that was equally beautiful, welcoming, and warm so our families would not only be impressed by how lovely everything but never feel uncomfortable on our big day. First and most importantly, the menu was perfect on the day our wedding! The staff was great and room service always brought things to us within ten minutes whether it was grabbing things from our hairdresser's car which was valet parked, extra towels, extra chairs, or snacks for the wedding party. They really went the extra mile to make sure that everything was perfect.

Sent on 04/05/2008

Em WedW · Married on 07/26/2013

3.0

I can't say enough about the beauty of this venue for a wedding. The ceremony site overlooking the ocean was breathtaking and cocktails over looking the sea was so special. Everyone commented the food was some of the best they have ever eaten period, not just at a wedding. The catering staff exhibited the utmost professionalism and service levels throughout. It is a high price point but the value if definitely there.

My only complaint was with the hotel itself - and how they handled check in and lodging. Given this is what they do every day I was a little shocked that this was the achilles heel - but boy was it. Make sure your contract stipulates *what* type of suite you get (ocean view) and that you double check it when calling or arriving for check in. Front desk staff was totally unhelpful, room wasn't ready until 4PM even though I had requested early check in and the staff was just plain uninterested with the fact I was hosting a wedding there. They really couldn't have cared less which was a let down.

Sent on 08/06/2013

Aileen · Married on 07/04/2008

4.2
      3.0

What a BEAUTIFUL place to get married at!! Though extremely expensive, Shutters was worth every penny. The ceremony took place on the pool deck with the breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean. The backdrop of the beach is gorgeous in all our pictures - you simply can't put a price on that.

The staff was accommodating and helpful despite how busy they were during the holiday weekend. However, a staff member of the hotel decided to get in our Cheesy Photobooth and take pictures of himself flicking the camera off. It was funny to see this, but not what I was expecting to see from a "fine, full service hotel" such as Shutters. Niall, our hotel manager, is an easy man to deal with and very nice. He was slow to answer emails early on in our planning process (can't blame him since he probably has tons of other brides to deal with), but once we got closer to our wedding date Niall was always there to answer our questions.

The food tasting was probably the best part about planning a wedding. We tried 3 different appetizers, 3 different salads, 4 different entrees, and 3 different desserts. All this in regular dinner-sized portions!! We were stuffed but were happy to take the rest home in a goody bag! Shutters' dining experience is delicious!!! However, I was rather disappointed that the reception dinner wasn't as spectacular as our tasting we had at their One Pico restaurant. My hubby and I weren't really surprised because we kind of expected this since food is being mass produced. Don't get me wrong, the food wasn't bad - it was rather good - but it wasn't outstanding like our tasting.

Shutters uses Cake Divasas one of their cake vendors. During our tasting at Shutters Cake Divas brought over their cake samples for us to try as well. Everything was yummy! In the end, we chose red velvet that tasted and looked GREAT! Beware - Niall told us that the cake was included in the reception dinner, so we took that to mean we didn't have to pay for it and it was incorporated into the price of dinner. Not true. You will be charged $8pp for cake which is like a cake-cutting fee. This isn't bad, I guess. If you brought in your own cake vendor (and paid for the price of the cake) then you'd pay an additional $8pp for the cake-cutting fee.

I would recommend Shutters to the chic and classy bride with deep pockets. If you're on a budget, then this isn't the place to have your dream wedding. Things you didn't budget for add up quickly (e.g. an extra night at the hotel, valet parking, service fees, bartenders, taxes on everything, etc.). There were a few times when my hubby and I were about to cancel our contract and lose the deposit because we felt we'd go over our budget, but we just couldn't let go of the breathtaking and priceless view of the beach. We don't regret getting married at Shutters and it was worth every penny!

Sent on 12/22/2008

Megan · Married on 02/18/2007

4.2
      3.0

Shutters is about as romantic as you can get. It is a dream place, inside and out. Elegant yet comfortable. Understated and blissfully gorgeous-- especially at sunset.
    If you're torn between two places as we were, choose Shutters! You will not regret it!

Sent on 07/13/2008

Alice · Married on 09/20/2009

3.6
      3.0

There is no doubt that Shutters is a beautiful venue and if we were to re-do the wedding again, we probably would still pick Shutters as our ceremony and reception venue simply for the view and the ballroom it offers. It is pricey, but the view from the Pacific Terrance is phenomenal. The food is good too. Like another reviewer had stated, the food was better at the tasting than at the actual wedding but that is expected especially for a buffet/food station style dinner. The only reason why I took some points off the review is because of my catering manager's attitude. Don't get me wrong...he had been very responsive and my general experience with him was good up till the day of the wedding. However, on the day of wedding we were supposed to get a suite for wedding party to get ready but when we checked it we found out that all the suites were sold out night before and nothing was going to be available until much later in the day. They did manage to find us a room for everyone to get ready at but it was significantly smaller and was quite crowded with 2 make-up artists and 5 people from the wedding party in there. On top of the move from the room to the suite threw off the schedule for the wedding day too. Since we were already on a tight schedule I had to send my MOH to talk to the catering manager regarding the room confusion but he was extremely rude to her and his attitude was not something that one would expect from a staff of hotel of its class. The general manager did make some reconciliation after but it was very frustrating that we had to deal with something like this on the day of the wedding. It may just have been a single instance since my make-up artists had worked at the venue multiple times and she told me that it was the first time that she had seen something like this.

As I said, if we were to do the whole thing again we probably would still pick the same venue, maybe just a different catering manager.

Sent on 10/16/2009

kristine · Married on 07/11/2010

3.4
      2.5
      3.5

We decided to have our wedding ceremony and reception at shutters on the beach hotel...and Im conflicted if I would choose this hotel again or not..but lets start on a positive note:

The positive aspect is that the promenade outdoor ceremony area overlooking the ocean is amazing! The ceremony and cocktail hour set up are amazing and I can not say more positive things. The tray passed appetizers were a hit with the guests and everyone was pleased including myself.

The negative aspects are as follows:

1. You are not allowed to do many things at shutters in terms of your ceremony. For example, you may not have ANY form of amplified music. This means if you want music to walk down the wedding aisle to, you must hire a string quartet. Even with our string quartet and piano player, the music was not loud enough...thank goodness our piano player brought an amplifier just in case...because we desperately needed it. We amplified the quartet even though shutters said not to. If you truly use no amplifier you need 2 string quartet groups in order for music to be loud enough to hear outside. That would be a total of 8 players.

You are also not allowed to use fireworks of any kind..including sparklers. You may not use a confetti cannon for the same affect as we were told that shutters staff would have to clean that up...but isnt that what were paying thousands of dollars for???

2. DO NOT be fooled by the food tasting you do at shutters. The quality you receive at the actual reception WILL NOT be the same! We had the Alaskan Halibut and Filet Mignon at our wedding. On our first tasting the halibut tasted dry and old and our catering manager stated that the halibut at that time was "out of season" and to come back for a second halibut tasting in June because halibut would be fresh and in season then. The second tasting was amazing and our catering manager/ event specialist stated that the halibut would be fresh just like this second tasting we had.
    The halibut on our wedding was dry and uneatable and not one guest ate it...it was truly embarrassing. We actually had guests comment on how awful it was.. this is not what you want to hear on your wedding day and after spending over $180 per plate per person. The catering manager should not have allowed the fish to leave the kitchen.
    The guests did enjoy the steak and salad however...

3. You are spending a great deal of money to have your wedding at shutters..but if you want any form of "extras" such as a blocked room rate or discount room rate, chiavari chairs, ect...you WILL NOT get it..unless you are willing to pay a premium, they will not negotiate... we finally managed to get our chaivari chairs from the sister hotel next door (casa del mar) for 4 dollars a chair... thats the amount we paid for 133 chairs for shutters to walk them next door...per chair...so with their taxes it's basically 5 dollars a chair.... keep in mind this is their sister hotel 10 feet away and no one was using the chiavari chairs at that hotel on that day....

4. Our catering manager/event coordinator.....I felt several times that he was annoyed doing his job...I am not a difficult bride and I am totally easy going, so for me to get the feeling that he was annoyed was a little unsettling. Our wedding was 40,000...and I couldnt help but feel a little uncomfortable when he would use the comment "cheap" in reference to our monogram gobo for the dance floor and throughout the wedding process. Which he managed to leave out on our wedding reception... stating that he could not hang the gobo...

On the wedding day, after ceremony I asked if there was a quick way to our room to touch up my make-up before going into the ballroom as our room was far away and in order to get there, you would have to manage to get through the crowd of guests. He did comply and take me through the kitchen stating that "usually only celebrities" would get to go through the back way , but he would allow me to at this time...

Our event manager/catering manager also stated "maybe I should let you pay for your valet this time".( after coming to our second tasting for our halibut.)
    Even if he was joking...I didnt find this professional or pleasant. I replied with " dont worry we have self parked at every other meeting we have had here."

I wanted to write this review because I wanted to give a truly honest response to the quality of service we received. The hotel and or catering department have not offered anything to rectify the problem that occurred with the food and or service at this time.

Sent on 07/18/2010

Alexis · Married on 11/12/2011

3.2
      2.5

Positives:
    - lovely space for a wedding of 50 people (Oceanside and Beachside rooms) with a great view
    - while overall expensive, actually not a bad lunch package price when you look at the other options in the area
    - we eventually worked out a nice vegan entree which was important to me
    - we had a great time and our guests seemed to as well, but we picked all our own vendors not on Shutters list

Negatives:
    - planning process was stressful, they didn't give me much info up front and it was hard to get answers to even simple questions
    - most of my requests, such as for a signature cocktail, were met with a lot of resistance so I had to be very insistent to get anything I wanted
    - not much variety at the tasting, only 2 apps, 2 salads and 3 entrees even though we could choose 3 entrees so we just went with what we tasted. We never tasted any of the hor d'oeuvres
    - they ended up getting much of the menu wrong on the big day
    - they were very hands-off and require you to hire a coordinator

Sent on 12/06/2011

0.4
      0.5

If you are looking to just spend money, time and a lot effort and in return be charged for every single drop of soda and receive absolutely ZERO service then Shutters is the place for you. Even though we made the best of what we could Shutters was not responsible for any of it. They have the most unprofessional team of wedding catering sales staff to coordinators. They will forget your name, forget when your wedding is and give you information last minute. We were insulted over countless emails about our hiring a wedding coordinator of our choosing. We were given a rehearsal time option just two weeks before our wedding, which was a destination wedding. After flying 3000 miles for a tasting we were told we never made a reservation even though there are confirmed emails between Shutters representatives and myself. I can't express enough to go some place else if you are looking to work with real professionals. Having your wedding at Shutters would be a huge waist of money and in the end all you will remember is how unprofessional everyone was but how quickly they will charge your credit card without your authorization. We had 10 couples stay the weekend at Shutters who also left us envelops at the front desk that mysteriously disappeared. Worst experience of my life which should have been one of the best memories I should have had.

Sent on 02/16/2015