26 Reviews for Shirley's Catering

Open Bar (1)
House Wine (1)
Premium Liquor (1)
Specialty Beer (1)

Shirley and her stellar team catered our daughter's recent wedding and did a phenomenal job. From the initial food tasting through the end of the reception she and her team were exceptionally professional, responsive and focused on providing the best possible customer service - they succeeded! If you want absolutely delicious food at a reasonable cost and work with a top-notch team look no further than Shirley's Catering. We were so pleased with how Shirley delivered for our daughter's wedding, we intend to reach out to her again for special events in the future.

Profile Picture Steven, 6/18/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, House Wine, Liquor License, Outside Alcohol, Signature Drink, Specialty Wine, Nut Free, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Tastings, American, Chinese

Highly recommend Shirley's Catering! From the tasting to the wedding, everything was perfect! Shirley herself was at our tasting getting our opinion on the food and offering suggestions. All the staff was very responsive whenever I needed to contact them. At our wedding, Shirley personally attended to tables to make sure everyone was happy with the food. All our guests raved about the food. I even have a friend who is now trying to recreate Shirley's fig chutney salmon because it was that good! I also highly recommend the watermelon rosemary water!

Profile Picture Lauren, 6/2/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, American, Buffet, Hors d'oeuvres, Tastings, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up

Shirley's Catering is incredible. Everyone I spoke to there was extremely kind and accommodating. My husband and I were worried about budgeting and Shirley's Catering offered their advice and were extremely helpful. Shirley came to scout the venue and was there wedding day. She and Tamika helped facilitate the reception. I was blown away by everyone's kindness and how helpful they all were. And the food is to die for! I tried every dish that they provided for the buffet and their passed appetizers. Everything was excellent. I would have kept eating all night if I didn't have to run around to socialize. Shirley's Catering will provide service that both you and your guests will enjoy and praise for years to come!

Profile Picture Caitlin, 6/1/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering

Shirley was so easy to work with. We were able to choose the perfect mix of food for our appetizers, dinner and desserts. The pumpkin Brie dip is to die for!

Profile Picture Kacie, 10/22/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Bartender(s), Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, American, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Vegetarian, Buffet, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s)

There is not enough I can say about Shirley and her team. I was astonished at her professionalism, her team, her taste, and most important, her FOOD! Everything was amazing. It was so hard for me to conceive how hard it was to throw a wedding on a farm, and now that I see how Shirley and her team do it I am even more amazed. She brought an incredible team, with more people than I could keep track of. She took care of decorating, ordering and organizing tent, food, Bartenders, servers, cleanup, etc.

In addition to that Shirley did her best to help us on our budget. Not one of our guests could tell it, but we cut THOUSANDS out of our wedding thanks to Shirley's advice.

She is truly a professional and we could not be happier. At every instance she went above and beyond. When we hired her we only expected a caterer. Boy were we wrong. She helped us find bathrooms, a tent and table rental company, a transportation company, and other things I can't even recall. As a couple from New York having a wedding in northern Virginia, we cannot imagine our wedding without the assistance of Shirley and her team. We now consider Shirley family and we would recommend her to every potential couple.

Profile Picture Chris, 10/1/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering, Event Rentals & Photobooths, Favors & Gifts, Party Supplies
Services Used: American, Southern, Gluten Free, No Pork, Nut Free, Organic, Vegan, Vegetarian, Chairs, Tables, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Open Bar, Outside Alcohol, Premium Liquor, Specialty Beer, Specialty Wine, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Dessert, Hors d'oeuvres, Outside Cake, Plated, Server(s), Stations, Tastings

From the very beginning, my husband and I enjoyed working with Shirley and Meredith. Choosing a caterer was one of the biggest and most difficult decisions in planning our wedding, and we found Shirley's company to be a perfect fit. They were consistently accommodating, by allowing my mom to join in on the initial tasting, by finding ways to help us afford the rentals we were also getting through them, and by simply being available for texting and late evening visits. All our guests were so happy with the quality of the buffet food, and Shirley's team always made sure we were getting the chance to eat during the event!

Profile Picture Maren, 9/26/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up, Vegetarian, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Tastings, American, Chairs, Tables, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Liquor License, Outside Alcohol, Signature Drink

The food was awesome. We hardly had any left overs.

Profile Picture User4621146, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Catering

Shirley is a most professional caterer. On time, helpful with creating a menu in our budget, and then delivering food that is fresh, hot, and delicious. Her serving staff is always a pleasure to work with; friendly, prompt, clean, and courteous. We have always looked forward to having Shirley be a part of our events.

Profile Picture Charles, 12/6/14, 1 Review
Category: Catering

Shirley was wonderful! Everyone raved about her food, and she was great to work with- helped me to find a suitable menu that matched the theme for the evening, and also my budget! Highly recommend!

Profile Picture Caroline, 5/24/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering

My daughter got married one week ago (9/20/13). We worked with Bev from Shirley's Catering and she was absolutely wonderful. I told her she was "my heaven sent angel". Everything had to be brought into the venue (Tables,chairs,dance floor,...absolutely everything) and we had a two hour set up window. Bev oversaw that and all was perfect! The dishes we selected were wonderful and she even made cupcakes from my recipe as the bride has food allergies. Her staff was wonderful as well! She kept in touch with me leading up to the wedding and settled me down when I started stressing. Absolute perfection!

Profile Picture l, 9/20/13, 6 Reviews
Category: Catering

Shirley's Catering is a local treasure, having served the Northern Virginia Community for many years. Shirley has catered a number of family events for us, most recently the rehearsal dinner and the wedding reception for my oldest son. Her staff are well trained and love their work - and it shows. The food was beautifully presented and our guests went out of their way to tell me how much they enjoyed it. It was truly 5-star dining. Beyond the food, Shirley has a magic touch with the ambience and decor. From every fresh flower and grapevine woven around the cheese display to the uplit feathers for that Gatsby look around the bar, we could not have asked for more. The whole family, including our new daughter in law and her parents, friends and extended family, were thrilled with the whole event.

Profile Picture L., 5/31/13, 1 Review
Category: Catering

My husband and I are surprisingly happy with their service because we had demands that they're did not expect them to meet at our price.
Our hats off to Merideth in particular who sheparded our catering planning and execution. She has an amazing positive and willingness to accommodate-type attitude. While my husband and I were learning the enormity of planning a wedding let alone hiring a caterer Merideth and the owner patiently waited for us to learn and evolved while we examined other estimates, they hosted several tastings and most amazing is that they allowed us to make changes to their packages to meet our cultural and cost savings needs. Their performance at the event was top drawer. They set up the entire venu, plus coordinated all other contractors that we used finally, they brokedown the event wnsuring the enue lication was cleaned and acceptable so that we received our venu rental deposit. The food was hot, hot and fresh. We sti receive positive comments about how good the food tasted. Diced sautéed sweet potatoes, prime rib and our wing bar was the big hit.
Use Shirley's if you want elegance and personal service. They eleviated a lot of stress for us.

Profile Picture Tracey, 10/6/12, 1 Review
Category: Catering

When I was having difficulty finding a caterer in the same area as my wedding reception that would do a heavy refreshment option, and was tired of caterers trying to push so many additional unnecessary services and costs on me, I Googled until I happily stumbled across Shirley's Catering in Burke. Burke may seem far from Fredericksburg, but they have a very, very reasonable delivery fee. Since we were having an early afternoon wedding, we were looking for more of a luncheon/afternoon tea/picnic type of meal. Shirley's has an extensive sandwich and salad list, in addition to the full service meals they can provide. I was pleasantly surprised when I spoke with Debra when she said that Shirley's would have no problem catering our small wedding and gave my husband I remarkable service even though we weren't having a 250 guest wedding. A customer is a customer in their eyes, and we were treated with exceptional service. I was hesitant at first to request a "tasting" since we were having just sandwiches, but Debra agreed with me that we still should taste the quality of food and welcomed us to come by to taste the menu we were considering. Admittedly, we were worried that the sandwiches might be glorified deli meat ones, but no....these sandwiches were gourmet quality. Debra had also provided us with full samples of other salad and sandwich options to consider in addition to our initial choices, which was great (their chicken salad sandwich is to die for). During that time, we were able to ask questions about other events they have catered, and given the broad spectrum of events (and crazy/quirky requests) they have catered in the past, it was proof to me that pleasing their customers was a big priority. With that tasting, we knew we had our caterer. Following the tasting, the customer service continued. Debra was always accessible by phone and email, and she was very accommodating, never every pushy, and she kept my stress level low. I wish I had a business that needed event catering frequently because I would love more reasons to use Shirley's Catering again.

Profile Picture Sarah, 10/2/11, 7 Reviews
Category: Catering

I have been using Shirley's Catering for probably 20 years. I stumbled on to her when we began hosting holiday parties for my husband's company where we would have over 300 guests. She would consistently come in less expensive than any other cartering company and her food was every bit as delicious as the better known, higher priced caterers. She has helped us with large and small parties, black tie and barbecues and everything in between. She is reasonably priced, her service is impeccable and you always receive exactly what you wanted. The great thing about Shirley that some other catering companies won't allow is you can supplement the menu. Some caterers only want their food at the event - their reasoning being any food at the event will be assumed to have come from that caterer. But if I am having guests, I only want to serve them delicious food whether Shirley's makes it or I do. This is a great feature! For my daughters wedding, my husband makes a filet tenderloin that is to die for. Instead of having Shirley prepare it, we grilled 5 of them and brought it to the reception and Shirley's staff cut it up and had it beautifully displayed but the time we arrived.

Profile Picture Cyndy, 9/9/11, 1 Review
Category: Catering

We loved Shirley's catering! Everything was completely tasty and beautifully put together and the servers were very nice. They were also ok with us changing things around at the last minute. Thanks very much!

Profile Picture Virginia, 6/19/11, 5 Reviews
Category: Catering

My wife and I were so impressed with the service we received from Gail. The food was excellent, but the presence and warm spirit of Gail made our experience extra special. It was a birthday surprise for my wife, last minute planned and I couldn't have been more pleased. I highly recommend her service and I will be a repeat customer in the near future!

Profile Picture Keith, 3/8/11, 1 Review
Category: Catering

I found Shirley's via my pastry chef. I was looking for someone who would provide a reasonably priced, high quality seated dinner. I got a lot more than this. The coordinator I worked with went the extra mile consistently - from perservering a venue switch (eg two walk throughs), finding hard-to-get table linens, to buying balloons at the last minute when the balloons I ordered didn't show up, to going through several iterations of the menu and seating charts. She always looked for ways to reduce costs, but keep the event a success. We had more than 20 children, some with gluten issues, and she organized special meals for them. Regarding the quality of the food, my aunt and uncle are heads of an international society for food service. They said that the food was four star quality - especially considering that everything was prepared off site and transferred to the venue. The servers were also friendly and several people commented on how much they liked the staff. I can not say enough about Shirley's. We liked them so much, we hired them to cater the rehearsal dinner and are now using them for a big Christmas party. Shirley's proves that you can have a tasteful and tasty event without being gouged in the pocket book.

Profile Picture Michele, 11/14/09, 6 Reviews
Category: Catering

Shirley's Catering was top notch. EVERYONE raved about the food and the outstanding service.

Profile Picture Julie, 10/23/09, 1 Review
Category: Catering

LOVE LOVE LOVE - The food was awesome, great wine and beer selection, Sangria was devine. The staff excellent. It was a blast will use these guys again for sure.

Profile Picture Jenn, 7/26/14, 3 Reviews
Category: Catering

excellent customer service and food preparation.

Profile Picture User2846437, 2+ years ago, 7 Reviews
Category: Catering

We knew we wanted to book with Shirley as soon as we tasted her food. Everything was so good! On the day of, her staff was fabulous and professional. The only reason for not all 5 stars is they were very stingy with the food. Quite a few guests commented that they only received two asparagus, and when they asked for more (it was a buffet with servers) the server said no!! Not a huge deal, but somewhat odd. Otherwise everything was great and we were glad we worked with them.

Profile Picture Rebecca, 9/30/11, 5 Reviews
3.4

Shirley's was great to work with in the planning stages (always a quick response to any questions we had), and the food was good, but the staff at the reception was a little unprofessional and did not seem overly enthused about working. The items that were supposed to be passed among guests were not passed nearly long enough (which is why we took home tons of leftovers of these items), the bartender had to be told how to mix one of the signature cocktails we had chosen, they served the cake by flopping each piece onto the plate with their hands, and the food on the buffet table very quickly got that "picked through" look because no attempt was made to condense and consolidate as items were taken.

Profile Picture Susan, 10/7/17, 2 Reviews
2.3

While Shirley's was okay to work with leading up to our wedding, the actual day-of service was terrible. They arrived late for set up, which almost made family members late to the ceremony. Then, the food was cold, my husband, family, and I never even SAW one of the appetizers we paid for, and service was slow and unhelpful. The servers were so bad that, despite being told repeatedly when Cake Cutting was, my husband still had to go fetch them from the kitchen to come help serve the cake. Then, after cake, my mother-in-law walked into the kitchen and found them licking frosting off the cake utensils! We paid ENTIRELY too much for mediocre food and horrible service.

Profile Picture Catherine, 10/7/17, 9 Reviews
Category: Catering
Services Used: American, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'oeuvres, Server(s), Stations, Tastings, Bartender(s), Signature Drink, Chairs, Tables, Clean Up, Delivery, Set Up
2.3

The food did not taste no way near as it did on our tasting. I feel that the vendor should have given us a plate that would truly represent the correct portion size. Also, the crab balls were not the same as when we made our decision; they were too breaded when they were served at our event. I was truly disappointed, being though they were a treat specifically for the mother of the bride. The presentation of the plated dinner was not as colorful and it was the nice pretty colors that helped up us to select certain vegetable. However, I can truly say that the service of the waiters and waitress was great!

Profile Picture Alma, 6/30/12, 2 Reviews