Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay Reviews

8 | Kailua Kona, HI

8 Reviews for Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

Jennifer · Married on 12/08/2015

We were married at the Sheraton Kona on December 8th, 2015. Crystal was fantastic! We choose the ala carte option since I plan events on the mainland, this seemed like a no-brainer. The only hard part was connecting to figure out the final details, but Crystal walked us through everything the day before the wedding during our rehearsal. She even made the process of getting our wedding license a breeze! We were married on the Bayview lawn and had our reception under the trees in the photo garden. There are not a lot of pictures out there of the photo gardens with market lights between the trees but take my word that it was beyond fabulous. Crystal even helped us personalize our event by placing some photos of us as babies out on the tables for the cocktail reception, and placing the homemade placecards on the table. She really took care of those little details that I had planned and made, but couldn't oversee while I was getting ready. I couldn't have been more happy with the location, the views, the dinner, especially the lights. Thank you so much Crystal!

Sent on 12/22/2015

Sarah · Married on 05/02/2015

My now husband and I got married at the Sheraton Kona on 5/2/15. The entire process and experience was SO amazing and SO wonderful and SO easy thanks for our amazing wedding planner Crystal Capri! The Sheraton has gorgeous grounds all over for a wedding large or small. Our intimate family only ceremony was on the bayside overlook and was seriously a dream come true. Uncle Earl the most amazing Hawaiian man married us while the ocean waves crashed behind us during sunset. Crystal set up a package that included everything- flowers, musician, site fee, officiant, champagne, cake, photographer, etc etc the list goes on and all we had to do was show up :) One of my favorite parts was how much care Crystal put into every guest and family member. Our wedding was everything we could have ever wanted and more. Our stay here was absolutely wonderful as well and every member of the hotel staff made our wedding weekend absolutely perfect.

Sent on 07/30/2015

Jennifer · Married on 03/21/2015

My husband and I got married at the Sheraton in Kona about 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier with our experience. They were quick to answer our emails and phone, and Crystal was so accommodating and helpful. Planning a wedding from the main land without ever having been to the Big Island can be stressful, but with Crystal's help, it was the perfect day. She even helped us with the chapel decorations and getting us a room to use just for an hour so I could slip on my dress there and take a few photos (we chose not to stay at the resort). I could not recommend Crystal or the Sheraton more!

Sent on 01/15/2015
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 04/03/2012

Sheraton was very beautiful location. It is a little bit out of downtown Kona, but it was close enough so that it was still convenient. If you want to have a good time on the Big Island, Kona is the best place on the island. The Sheraton was out of the way enough so that the wedding location was not busy with other people. It was oceanfront and it felt like we had the place all to ourselves. There was a lot of trees and pretty flowers which helped set the mood. The food was amazing and the staff was helpful and friendly!

Sent on 04/13/2012

Julie · Married on 06/25/2008

3.0

Natalie Houston and her assistant, Laura, did a great job with helping my husband and I pull off a low-cost, beautiful wedding at the Bayside Chapel at the Kona Sheraton.

They helped find a guitarist for me, Bula, who was an amazing singer (and so handsome he made my girlfriends practically swoon). Bula sang the songs that we chose for our wedding--Fields of Gold by Sting and Is This Love? by Bob Marley-- I was amazed during the ceremony that he knew all the words to the song! I had expected him to just play the music, not sing.

Our officiant, Lona Lyons, was wonderful as well. Lona was also secured for us by Natalie Houston at the Sheraton. Lona was a soothing speaker who had written a lovely sermon.

The Bayside Chapel itself was so beautiful, with the windows open to let in the views of the palm trees and the ocean, that I was glad that I did not order flowers. I did order a lei for my husband and me-- I wish now that I did not order the heavily scented lei as it was pretty overpowering and almost smelled artificial.

My photographer was allowed to photograph our portraits for a couple hours after the cermony concluded on the beautiful grounds around the Sheraton. The resulting pictures are just gorgeous. The inside of the chapel photographs very well, too. We had a 9:30 AM ceremony, which we are glad of as it was already getting quite warm by that time.

The Sheraton staff were very considerate. My father got it in his head that the Sheraton needed to have water on hand for all our guests. I was embarrassed to later hear about how demanding he was-- but Natalie and Laura never told me about what happened-- they did their best to make sure that I was relaxed the day of the wedding and went ahead and brought water for the wedding guests.

My advice for you is to make sure you read the contract very carefully-- some things are quite expensive. I kept my expenses to the chapel, officiant, and guitarist-- and 2 leis-- and made out with paying only about $2500 for the entire ceremony. "extras" like champagne and food for a few guests may cost you an extra $500-- and there are other fees that may be tacked on to that, like a $250 "reception" or "food and beverage service" fee. You can get away with not getting the leis by buying them for about $5 each at Costco.

Also, if you do not hear from the Sheraton about a month before the wedding date, go ahead and write them for confirmation details. There are a LOT of confirmation details to go over, even with a wedding as simple as I had. I had not heard from the Sheraton until about 2 weeks before my wedding date-- it turned out that they needed more confirmation faxes from me and answers to logistical questions. (I had thought the details had already been ironed out months prior to that).

Sent on 10/28/2008

3.0

Our wedding at Sheraton was everything we ever wanted! The reception at Rays on the Bay was just the most perfect way to end our special day!

Sent on 08/04/2015

Kat · Married on 04/28/2017

2.4
      2.5
      3.0

I got married at the Sheraton Bayside Lawn on April 28, 2017.

When we first tried to book the Sheraton for our wedding, it took us 6-8 weeks to book them despite repeated phone calls and emails. Every time I got someone on the phone, I was told that they were very busy and someone would follow up. This went on for weeks and was extremely frustrating.

The turnover for wedding planners is very high, and I had three in the nine months I worked with the Sheraton. The second wedding planner quit one week before the wedding. The Sheraton told me that they worked for hours to transition the wedding planners, but many details that I wanted, like the cake flavor, special details I wanted included in the ceremony, and the type of ceremony music, were forgotten. I also didn't get my choice of officiant because no one contacted him for months, and when they finally did, he was already booked that day.

The ceremony ended up being beautiful, and the location was gorgeous, so I would do it again if given the choice. The process was just made unnecessarily stressful by the event planning team at the Sheraton.

Sent on 04/30/2017

Julie · Married on 10/17/2016

2.0
      2.0
      1.0

The Sheraton Kona is beautiful, the chapel and grounds are gorgeous. The vendors for our wedding were great, and the day did end up going well overall (despite no air conditioning in the Ainakai and some decor being missed). However, the planning was made very stressful by the incompetent, disorganized wedding planning team, and this greatly took away from our enjoyment of our wedding. The turnover rate for wedding planners is very high at the Sheraton, we had 3 planners total. We had a lot of problems with the planner we unfortunately ended up with. She was at least a half hour late for every meeting we had, and never apologized. She would say she'd get back to us in a week, and we wouldn't hear from her for a month. She was supposed to book us a free room upgrade to a suite for our whole stay, but when we arrived we'd been given a small dark mt view room. We could go on, but the worst things she did were ignoring our calls when we arrived at the Sheraton Kona until the day before our wedding (at this point we hadn't even decided where we were having the reception and had several aspects of planning to complete) and NOT BOOKING OUR REHEARSAL DINNER UNTIL THE DAY OF THE DINNER, which we didn't find out until we turned up that night. Another party had booked our space before our planner, but luckily Ray's on the Bay managed to make it work for us. After being ignored by our planner, Tammie from the marketing team was sent to help us. She was great, and the only helpful Sheraton employee we came across. She set us up with some perks for our trouble, like use of a club pass, and an upgrade to a nice suite after 2 nights, but it can't totally make up for the issues that shouldn't have happened in the first place. The final bill was also 3 months late getting to us, and included some incorrect charges, more evidence of their disorganization. Unless the wedding department undergoes a major overhaul, we would not recommend booking with the Sheraton.

Sent on 02/05/2017