18 Reviews for Shade Hotel Manhattan Beach

Flatware (1)
Glassware (1)
Linens (1)
Valet (1)

Kaitlin and Jenny: the two amazing people in our lives. You guys made our day so special by helping with details and organization. I couldn't have done it without your help! You made planning easy, from hotel reservations to catering to decorations and most importantly you guys made us feel at home at Shade. You two are the best! We always say that Shade has been our home away from home since we first stayed there. Now it is truly our home in Manhattan Beach. The staff is so friendly and happy (thanks Chelsea and Jennifer too), always ready to help out with anything. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The food in Zinc Lounge is incredible! Our social hour appetizers, the wedding buffet and desserts are all on our favorites list. I would not change anything. Thank you again for the hospitality! We'll be back soon.

Profile Picture Trina, 9/9/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I chose this venue for our wedding because we met in Manhattan Beach and we absolutely loved the beach views from the Shade Hotel Skydeck. We also liked the clean lines and modern vibe of the venue. We had a smaller wedding for about 40 ppl, and on a moderate budget, so we chose to do a brief ceremony and primarily a cocktail/dinner reception on the Skydeck. First off, the food is absolutely phenomenal! I don't know how many of our guests said this was the best food they've ever had, let alone at a wedding. Second, the entire team at Shade is very responsive and friendly, and got back to my planner and myself ASAP on all questions we had. Thanks to Jenny Cooper and Kaitlin Tunney, and their entire team, who went above and beyond to meet our needs and desires for our wedding. They provide venue with equipment (chairs, tables, some basic decorations), catering, and bar services. You will need to scout a florist and additional decorations if you like (definitely keep this in mind for your budget), DJ, and a bakery (if you opt for a cake), but they provide great local suggestions. The venue and food can be a bit pricey but well-worth it, be sure to clarify all costs for any additionals and the Shade team is transparent and happy to help navigate options. (Their succulent wall is amazing for portraits as well!) Thank you to the entire Shade team for helping us create such an incredible experience!

Profile Picture Sam, 7/1/17, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor

My husband and I held our son's Rehearsal Dinner on the Skydeck of this amazing location on April 21, 2017. From our first contact with Jenny Cooper, Catering Sales Manager, to our interaction with Kaitlin Tunney, Catering Services Coordinator, before, during and after, our evening was flawless and all involved were unbelievably professional. The decorations, provided by Shade were perfect for our beach themed event, and this was included in the price. We are able to choose all our food items, and they even accommodated requests not available on their catering menu. We were really able to make the evening about (and for) the future Bride and Groom. Everyone loved the amazing food that was served throughout the evening, and the Signature Cake Pops are to die for! If you are able to reserve this location for your rehearsal, or wedding, you will not be disappointed. Thank you to Jenny, Kaitlin and the entire Shade staff for a wonderful evening! We look forward to future fun at Shade!

Profile Picture Linda, 4/22/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

One word AMAZING. We had our wedding reception at Shade Hotel Manhattan Beach and could not have been happier with everything; venue, service, food, location.

We had an intimate reception for 30, we started on the Zinc terrace for cocktails, then moved to the roof for dinner and some dancing and when we wrapped up everyone went downstairs to the bar for "one more drink". Really, we could not be happier, the Shade team (especially Jenny!) made sure everything went without a mistake - great care was taken and any 'problems' were immediately resolved.

Thanks guys - we'll be back to celebrate our anniversary!!

Profile Picture Mark, 4/7/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our reception at Shade Hotel and it was truly the perfect venue to have a California Winter Wedding! It captured our luxe and modern style, and the space was perfect for the amount of guests we had (just under 100). All of our guests were blown away by how beautiful the hotel was and the delicious food they provided.

Jolise (Events Director) was such a pleasure to work with! She brings a lot of enthusiasm and positive energy to planning your event. She was very responsive and trustworthy whenever we needed any help or recommendations. She also had an amazing team (Jayme, Rachael, Megan, etc) supporting her, and willing to accommodate to our needs whenever necessary. They took great care of us throughout the planning process until the day of the wedding. They even made sure we were comfortable and able to eat.

Overall, everyone had lots of fun and we were extremely happy!!! We wouldn't have been able to pull off such an amazing wedding reception if we didn't have it at Shade.

Profile Picture Robyn, 1/3/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Shade Hotel was stunning, fabulous, accommodating, and everything I had hoped for on our wedding day. The event planner, Jolene, is sweet and organized and helped through every step of the process. Every single person that we worked with at Shade, including the bartenders, dinner captain, servers, valets, and desk staff were all enthusiastic and helpful. The chef even made a customized menu to accommodate my food allergies. Everyone was so professional in their ability to put on a big event, while still allowing us to individualize our experience. My family and friends are still talking about their great weekend at Shade, and it will forever be a special place for my husband and I!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 10/13/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I honestly had a perfect wedding.... PERFECT!!! Team Shade (Jolise, Alyssa, and every Shade employee including the housekeeping) was amazing. My husband and I, and all of our guests, can't stop talking about what a wonderful weekend we had at The Shade. The level of service you find at the shade is 5 star. We felt like royalty. Jolise Vought is nothing short of amazing. When we had to go back home to Chicago after the wedding we felt like we were losing a best friend! Jolise and Shade have such strong relationships with all of my vendors that I can honestly tell you everything went off without a hitch and it was the most magical experience of my entire life. Shade made everything so easy and elegant- it was incredibly beautiful, and I wish I could do it all over again. If anyone is looking for a trendy, posh, modern and elegant event the Shade hotel and their amazing people are where it's at. Oh, and the FOOD- was OUTSTANDING.

Profile Picture Gina , 9/15/12, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

For those brides who want an initmate, classy, beach-feel venue for their wedding and reception, Shade Hotel should be your #1 choice!
We had our wedding reception there and it was dreamy! The service staff were so attentive , Jolise , their special events director provided all the support a bride needs on her wedding day. Our guests were raving about the food, drinks, service and ambience that this hotel offers. Everyone is just super helpful and were there to make my wedding a wonderful experience all around. Do not hesitate to consider this venue, we used the Skydeck.

Profile Picture Susan, 6/23/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Booking Shade was the best decision we made for our wedding. True, it's not cheap, but you really get what you pay for. The staff was incredible. Always quick to respond to my (many, many) emails during the planning process and on the day of I was so impressed. They took care of everything, I didn't have to worry about a thing. If there were problems I didn't know about them, everything ran smoothly and several of my guests commented on how nice everyone was. Plus, the courtyard was beautiful. Simple and modern decor and the bar/dance floor area was great because you could get a drink and still be involved with the party. The food was also fantastic, especially the appetizers during cocktail hour (my only regret was I didn't eat more of them!). Overall, Shade made our wedding day amazing and I encourage anyone who likes the look/feel of the space to book it, you won't regret it.

Profile Picture Sarah, 3/6/11, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My wedding day was the best day of my life. Yes... for obvious reasons. I married a wonderful man and our friends and family were there to share in our special day with us. But it was also the staff at Shade that made the wedding AMAZING. And without them, our unforgettable day would NOT have been possible. From the first day we walked in to speak with Jolise (special events manager) about having our wedding there, we were treated with professionalism, kindness and respect. And for the next six months, it was more of the same from each and every staff member that is employed by Shade. And when our friends and family arrived to stay in the hotel for the wedding, they could not stop raving about the comfortable rooms, the amazing food and, of course, the staff. In fact, when my dad gave his speech during the wedding, he took a moment to recognize every person who worked for the hotel. And he's stayed at A LOT of hotels--around the world. And so have I. So for me to take the time to write this review means something. And to all of you brides out there who want to know you will be taken care of and things will turn out exactly as you hoped, you can rest assured that you will be well taken care of at Shade. Not to mention, the hotel is so gorgeous you need hardly any flowers, draping or lanterns or whatever you choose to use.

We also had our rehearsal dinner at Shade. We were supposed to have it on the gorgeous rooftop. But unfortunately, it rained (not on the wedding day though!). The staff was quick to make another arrangement and we moved our dinner to the front patio (equally as gorgeous). What I especially love about Jolise and everyone who works there is everyone is unflappable. Their calmness and positive attitudes are contagious. I always felt confident that everything would turn out okay. And as a bride, there is no better feeling that not having to worry--about anything.

Check out Shade's website and my attached photos. Shade is a hidden gem. It's rated #1 out of #8 hotels for a reason. It's a gorgeous and incredibly chic boutique hotel (only four years old) and surrounded by shops, restaurants and spas- all within walking distance. It's also incredibly close to the ocean--just a short walk. (We took some of our wedding pictures down there--which I also highly recommend!) The bridal suite where I stayed has a FABULOUS view of the beach town and of the ocean. And on the morning of your wedding, there will be no better feeling than to walk out on the balcony, breathe in the ocean air and smile.

Profile Picture Lisa, 2/28/10, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Shade Hotel was an excellent venue for our wedding and for anyone who is looking for that very modern chic wedding. I highly recommend Shade Hotel not only for weddings but for any type of event i.e. birthday parties, showers, business meetings, etc.

Profile Picture Karen, 1/7/10, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I visited Shade on a whim at the end of July and were immediately impressed by the hotel itself and their professionalism. Jenny and Kaitlin were a pleasure to work with over the next few months, planning for our event at the end of October. It ended up being the perfect place for our guests to stay for the weekend, with so many restaurants, the beach, etc., within walking distance, and the Skydeck was an ideal venue for our Saturday night dinner/reception after a short beach ceremony. We had about 35 guests and none of the usual wedding traditions--though the spot certainly would have been lovely for a larger and more formal group as well. The food was fantastic, and their cake pops, along with a couple other small desserts, were more delicious than any cake we could have had. Jenny, Kaitlin, and Hanna--as well as all of the other staff with whom we came in contact--were so accomadating and helpful with all of our needs, and many of our guests noted the staff's friendliness in their interactions as well, in addition to loving the rooms and the food. The best part was the hotel's having everything so well prepared that my husband and I didn't have to take care of any last minute details or make any decisions that day/evening--we just enjoyed our time with our guests, and everything was handled like clockwork. Thank you to the entire Shade staff for such a wonderful weekend!

Profile Picture Megan, 10/28/17, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor

We had our lovely and intimate wedding at Shade in September 2012. We were married on the Skydeck and held our reception in the same place.

Jolise (Dir of Events) is fabulous! She was on top of everything that day and really had everything running smoothly! Megan (Hotel Manager) was also an incredible help the day of my wedding. The staff was great as well, very professional, on top of everything, but discreet.

The food was fantastic! We had a plated sit down dinner. Really great chef there! We had a couple of hiccups with a kid's meal and the desert, but only I and the Jolise noted it! Everything ran smooth and I am so happy to have chosen this hotel as our venue. Worth every penny!

Profile Picture kat, 9/9/12, 4 Reviews
4.7

We got married on 10-8-2016 and I can't recommend Shade enough for your wedding or event. If you've seen the venue you'll know how nice it is, but seeing it once Jolise and the Shade team has transformed it completely surpassed my expectations. My guests could not stop saying how beautiful everything looked.

Beyond the setting and look of everything, the staff was utterly superb. They are professionals, and know how to make a wedding go off smoothly for guests and bride/groom alike. From the moment we stepped foot in Shade before the wedding we were treated like royalty. My mom had brought a lot of decorations that she wanted placed a certain way for the big day, and the team did not disappoint. Not only was everything done exactly as she wished, but they made sure that she did not have to do anything other than worrying about getting ready.

They clearly handle a lot of events, so they were very helpful in the process leading up to recommend and help guide the process. If you're debating between Shade and somewhere else... choose Shade!

Profile Picture User6271944, 1+ year ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Accommodations, Bridal Suite, Event Planning, Event Rentals, Lighting/Sound, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Audio Equipment, Chairs, Lighting, Tables, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Valet, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'Oeuvres, Plated, Stations, Tastings, Bartender(s), Open Bar
4.7

Jolise & Alyssa were so kind, friendly and helpful during the planning and on the day. They really helped us have an amazing wedding. Thanks!

Profile Picture Stacie, 2/19/11, 1 Review
4.7

Shade did a wonderful job with everything. The staff was great and the venue looked amazing. The staff was attentive and responsive. The food was great, the butternut squash ravioli was outstanding.

Profile Picture John, 5/1/10, 1 Review
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

The staff at shade did a great job at helping to make my daughters wedding an unbelievable experience. The setting was beautiful, the food and drink were fantastic and the vibe was like no other!
Thanks to Hannah and her wonderful staff!

Profile Picture julie, 5/19/18, 1 Review