Secret Garden Event Center Reviews

102 | Phoenix, AZ

102 Reviews for Secret Garden Event Center

My husband and I got married at the Secret Garden on May 1, 2015. The Secret Garden is a breathtaking venue that looked and photographed beautifully for our special day. For cost purposes, we did not use their provided caterer but did use many of their preferred vendors, who all did an amazing job. Alexis was incredible to work with as our coordinator and did a wonderful job answering all of my questions, scheduling meetings and setting up our wedding and making sure things flowed smoothly. I would highly recommend using the Secret Garden for your wedding!

Sent on 05/20/2015

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

Lauren and David were incredible to work with! The girls looked lovely from start to finish on the wedding day, getting ready in our bridal suite with their fun floral robes, and ending the evening dancing in their gowns on the dance floor. The gentlemen were dashing! We loved getting the opportunity to work with one of our past package caterers! They did an excellent job. Thank you so much for sharing this special day with us!

Laura · Married on 12/13/2014

3.5

Everyone at the Secret Garden was wonderful to work with. We had signed a contract under the old management and the new management honored it, for which we were very grateful. The wedding was beautiful, the food delicious, and the DJ was a lot of fun. I would definitely recommend the Secret Garden to anyone planning a wedding.

Sent on 02/24/2015

Brianna · Married on 11/22/2014

I am so happy I chose to have my special day at the Secret Garden. The venue is absolutely gorgeous. The gardens, lights, flowers put the perfect touch to my wedding day. I was very hesitant when they switched to new management in the middle of my planning the wedding. However, it turned out to be even better than expected. Maggie was wonderful on the day of the wedding and helped kept everything smooth. I know the new management will do wonders with this place and make it even better for all future brides.

Sent on 12/04/2014

Shari · Married on 03/13/2014

The Secret Garden was perfect for my wedding. Having an outside ceremony and inside reception all at one beautiful location was exactly what I wanted. The venue has beautifully landscaped grounds and is well organized.The vendor options provided with the package I purchased were all amazing, especially the caterer- Sharko's Catering services. I enjoyed the entire experience and this will be a day I will never forget!

Sent on 03/31/2014

Cindy · Married on 03/01/2008

Our wedding was the best day of my life - people continue to tell me how beautiful the wedding was and how great a location we had at The Secret Garden.

Sent on 03/30/2009

Rachael · Married on 01/06/2017

We had our wedding this last February and everything was beautiful. I loved the bridal suite! It was by far the prettiest and most spacious out of all the venues we viewed and it really made the pre-wedding/getting ready moment relaxing and calm. The staff was really great and helpful, just be prepared to designate people to set up your decorations (anything SG doesn't provide)

Sent on 04/11/2017

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

We are so happy you enjoyed the beautiful new bridal suite! It makes us so happy to hear how the environment made you feel calm and relaxed. It was such a pleasure hosting your and Jay’s special day!

Natashia · Married on 03/06/2015

The site alone is beautiful and stunning, my husband and I fell in love with the look of the building and backyard. The venue worked perfectly for our wedding. Our wedding coordinator, Alexis was absolutely amazing. She worked extremely hard to make sure our wedding day was perfect and everything went according to plan.

One of the reasons we did not give a full rating was 5.0 was that during the year there was some confusion over details and payment schedules because the original owners sold the business. The new owners Doug and Camille are great, they are friendly, out going and did everything in their power to try and make the takeover as smooth as possible.

Overall we were very pleased with the staff and the accommodations they made for our wedding. A huge Thank You to Alexis for being the best wedding coordinator!

Sent on 03/28/2015

Arianna · Married on 10/12/2014

Beautiful venue, the staff was very flexible and accommodating.

Sent on 01/05/2015

Rachel · Married on 03/18/2010

We loved the venue! Everything was perfect the day of the wedding. Jessi, the event planner at the Secret Garden, made sure everything was as-planned for the wedding day. The only negative thing was dealing with their billing department. They were not on top of things: we stopped getting our monthly statements showing how much we paid, we were charged an extra amount and still have not received the money back, etc. Assuming they get a new head of the billing department, I would have rated the Secret garden a 5 all the way around.

Sent on 04/06/2010

Joelle · Married on 06/05/2011

3.5

Dave and Priya were nothing short of amazing for our June wedding. Dave is so down-to-earth and just a pleasure to be around. They went the extra mile to make sure we got the dream wedding we had always hoped for! They worked hard with us to fulfill every need and were patient with us when we had a snafu with our wedding account. The only frustration is it is often difficult to get ahold of somebody via phone or email because they are so busy. This venue is well worth the cost as it provides a perfect back drop, especially for a garden wedding.

Sent on 06/07/2011
  • Adrianna

Adrianna · Married on 04/22/2017

Secret Garden is an outstanding wedding venue! I had my wedding at there in April of 2017 and I couldn’t be more impressed with the staff and the venue. Our guests loved the location and we thought it was absolutely beautiful. From the structure and the big tree, to the carriage house, to dinner under the stars and the elegant pavilion, we had amazing event; it was a true romantic, garden experience.

We first met with Gina in December of 2015 and she showed us she was professional and cared about our wedding. The Secret Garden staff was very accommodating throughout the entire process and they were eager to build the experience we wanted for our wedding. We utilized the entire property to give our guests a unique taste for each part of the evening. The staff also worked with us on what we wanted to do for the ceremony and gave us new ideas. The meetings we had with them were personal and I truly felt like we were a priority. When we had our tasting with Creative Hands Cuisine, Doug blew us away with the food he presented. In addition, he was able to build some options for our menu that were personal to families’ heritages.

I am so grateful to Gina and the Secret Garden team for contributing to our event and helping make it a success. The quality of service was incredible and I appreciate their flexibility with our event.

Sent on 08/24/2017
  • Desirea

Desirea · Married on 01/06/2017

I absolutely loved having my wedding here! There were a few things I would have wanted done differently and a few things I feel the venue could be more flexible on but over all this place was a dream! Also Gina was the best ever! We loved working with her and she definitely helped make our day!!

Sent on 01/10/2018

Gillian · Married on 04/12/2015

3.5

Aaron and I were married here last Sunday April 12th 2015. The Secret Garden did a FANTASTIC job putting together our wedding and helping organize all the details the day of! Both wedding coordinators (Maggie and Alexis) were on spot with anything that needed attention to and helped run the day very smoothly. The quality of service was exceptional and their attentiveness to my needs the day of were very strong. I was in the bathroom touching up my makeup when Maggie walked in and asked if I needed anything. I said I needed chap stick and within minutes at my sweetheart table was not only chapstick, but lip gloss and a roller stick! I was seriously impressed. The food was catered by Creative Hands Cuisine, which I HIGHLY recommend using if you go through this venue since all of their food is made on site. I would say flexibility is a 3.5 only because we had a lot of signage we wanted to put up around the venue but had restrictions on putting anything up on the walls. We also wished there were more outlets to plug in our signage as well. Also, I was told that the venue would be ours for the entire day but about 2 weeks before my wedding, I was told that there would be a brunch serving 25 people on the other side of the grass area and we were restricted from taking pictures over there during the morning. I would say that was my only real disappointment in the venue and had wished they kept the venue to our wedding the entire day. The value is based off of how much money it costs to cater in other vendors and have to pay extra for additional items not included in the Silver package. For example, the Silver package only allowed 3 bridesmaids bouquets but I needed 5 so I had to pay extra for those items, and felt more should have been included in the $20K we spent on it. I hope this review doesn't deter how AMAZING and great The Secret Garden was at throwing a party!! If you are looking for a romantic, modern wedding, this is the place.

Sent on 04/21/2015

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

Gillian and Aaron's wedding was so much fun to be a part of! We love when couples bring in personal decor items, but this wedding was extra special with amazing signage the groom created himself! Everyone at the Secret Garden was in awe. The team at the Secret Garden care for our clients and want to be there to help, even when it may be for the simplest of things like lending some lip gloss and hand lotion. Thank you for reflecting on how big of an impact this way. It was a beautiful day! Thank you for choosing Secret Garden and letting us be a part of it!

Lauren · Married on 06/10/2012

Their event coordinator, Alexis was extremely helpful and professional. She was a pleasure to work with and the event went very smoothly thanks to her help! I would recommend having the cocktail/picture hour drink and food station away from the main steps as that was where we were trying to take pictures and it was very crowded. The grounds and buildings were beautiful, and the bridal suite/changing area was nice. Thanks for a good experience, Secret Garden!

Sent on 06/12/2012

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

Amanda and Mitch's wedding turned out beautiful! They were extremely joyful to work with and they had some of the most down to earth family members. These are the types of Brides and Grooms that make me love my job. Weddings are a day that everyone look forward to and it is my honor to make their wishes come true. Thank you for the appreciation and positive review about the Secret Garden. I hope I and the Secret Garden met everyone’s expectations. I wish Amanda and Mitch the best!

-Alexis Bommarito-Sobey
    Secret Garden Event Coordinator

Nerreda · Married on 10/16/2016

4.2
      3.5

The Secret Garden is a special place. It felt just like a beautiful back yard setting. We are from Seattle and we wanted an outdoor wedding with the look and feel of Seattle's summer but warmer. The staff, DJ, Chef and very responsive. The menu is incredible and having the reception at dusk was incredible. We even had a full moon that lit up the night with the lights as well. Beautiful venue....simply enchanting. Thank you for making it a night to remember for us. Darren & Nerreda Cooper/Seattle, WA

Sent on 10/31/2016
  • Y

Yvette · Married on 03/16/2013

3.0

I loved the venue and at we didn't have to share our day with any other couple, but I felt we were very rushed by staff throughout our day, but overall I absolutely loved the facility and the owners David and his wife were very lovely people. I would totally recommend the place to anyone. I do wish I was offered a bit more for what I paid for but all in all had a great experience here !

Sent on 09/29/2015

Alexis · Married on 03/10/2017

3.8
      2.5

We got married on 3-10-17 and it was the best day of our lives! I never thought I would give less than 5 stars to Secret Garden, but I will explain why. The food, bartender, staff, cake, DJ, and photographers were amazing and on point! The only down fall to anything that day were moments that our day of coordinator, Maggie, had. She was honestly lovely up until the actual day of the wedding. She clearly seemed stressed and immediately made me feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. While she was helping take gifts out to be loaded, she was rude to my maid of honor and she started taking cards out of gift bags! So we had to go on our registry and ask many people what they got us, so for when we did our thank you cards. The staff started cleaning up way too early. We paid to have the venue until 11pm and they started cleaning up around 10pm. We did not expect that to happen. Overall the venue was phenomenal and besides Maggie and the staff cleaning up early, everything was perfect and this post would've gotten 5 stars. The previous manager, Alexis, and the new manager, Monica; whom both assisted in the planning process, were amazing!! Beautiful venue and everyone couldn't stop talking about how lovely the wedding was. Maybe Maggie was having a bad day, it happens, but it was unfortunate that it had to happen on our wedding day. -The Murdicks

Sent on 04/16/2017

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

Thank you, Alexis, for your overall feedback. We have addressed the issues with Maggie and staff directly in regards to the incidents stated above. We are glad that overall your night was still one to reminisce. We are absolutely honored to have hosted your beautiful wedding. Please know, the owner has reached out and left you a message to speak further details.

Meghan · Married on 04/15/2011

3.6
      3.5

We knew the Secret Garden was the venue we wanted when we first saw it. I don't think we even looked at other venues after seeing this place. I loved the beautiful outdoor space and the indoor reception area was perfect. My favorite part of this venue has got to be the grand staircase that I walked down on the big day. It is just beautiful.

We worked with Jessi for the majority of our planning then found out that she was leaving the company just months before the wedding. We were told we would have a new planner and was contacted shortly after by Priya. Our understanding all along was that Jessi- then Priya- would be our go-to person on the day of the event. That was a big draw for us to this venue, having someone to coordinate all of the last minute details. We met a few months before the event with Nancy, who turned out to be the person we worked with at the rehearsal and on the day of the event, not Priya. She and another employee Megan assisted one day of but my friends in family ended up doing a lot of the work themselves, working for several hours the day of the event.

The wedding was gorgeous, don't get me wrong but for the amount of $ that we paid for the venue, we expected things to be a bit more organized and didn't expect to be doing so much work the day of the event.

Megan was a big help to us- i think if it wasn't for her i would have gone mental because Nancy was stressing both me and my family out. I was reminded not once or twice but at least 4 times of what time it was and that we were running behind (15 minutes total) and that i had to hurry. I didn't need that stress.

Sent on 04/28/2011

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

Meghan, Thank you for sharing your experience with future brides. I hope that you find some resolve in the new ownership of The Secret Garden. Chef Doug and Camille Brochu of the 5 star, Creative Hands Cuisine, have just purchased The Secret Garden and I know their attention to detail and extremely high level of professionalism will make a 180 degree change. We wish you both all the luck in the world!

Janessa · Married on 11/07/2009

3.4
      2.5

We had out ceremony and reception at the Secret Garden. When we stepped onto the property we knew it was the place! It was so beautiful! Kirsten was wonderful!! She was very good at responding to the emails I sent her. Very close to the wedding we were told that Kirsten was going elsewhere to work and that Jessi was taking over. It was very hard to adjust to the new team we were working with so close to the wedding. There were issues on the wedding day in finding certain items and not being very organized. Overall we had an AMAZING time and we will never forget it, it was the best day ever! A very beautiful place to have a wedding!

Sent on 03/18/2010

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

I can see how stressful that would be! I hope that you find some resolve in the new ownership of The Secret Garden. Chef Doug and Camille Brochu of the 5 star, Creative Hands Cuisine, have just purchased The Secret Garden and I know their attention to detail and extremely high level of professionalism will make a 180 degree change. Thank you for choosing The Secret Garden for your wedding!

Johanna · Married on 03/26/2017

3.2
      3.0

The venue itself was gorgeous. Our first coordinator, Gina, was great to work with and answered all our questions. Billing lost a couple of our checks but were easy to work with. I'd suggest giving cashiers checks that way the amount is already removed from your bank account. Also keep your receipts so you have proof of payment. Venue is gorgeous but quite expensive. Gabbie (or Gabby?), the day of assistant, was amazing! We absolutely loved her! She was so sweet and helpful. She brought us drinks and water. My husband and I had issues with the day of coordinator Maggie (don't get her if you can). At rehearsal we asked if we could move the stone alter under the gazebo and she told us no. Later on we found out that the alter could be moved when we went to pick up items we left and saw it moved. During the ceremony, Maggie told me that we would start the wedding a little late because not all of the guests had arrived (I should have put my foot down and said no we will start on time). I have witnesses who saw her say this to me. After our wedding my husband tells me that Maggie told him that I had told her we would be starting the wedding late. Starting late was the start to us running through the night trying to play catch up with our time. Maggie seemed to not be able to work well under this pressure. After the ceremony she demanded we remove all our stuff from the bridal rooms and sign the marriage license in the bride suite. This all made taking our group photos nearly impossible. We almost didn't get any pictures of just the two of us! Lucky for us we had a great DJ and photographers who were able to think on their feet and make changes to the plan. So venue is very beautiful. We loved the look. But you will pay a pretty penny for it. Make sure you also have a good plan set up for day off that includes a team of people other than bridal party to clear out the bridal suites when they kick you out and make sure you start on time even if they tell you to wait.

Sent on 04/09/2017

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

Johanna, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear your experience was not pristine since that is what we strive to be. We are happy to hear that Gabby was able to accommodate you and we have addressed the issues with Maggie directly. The owner, has reached out to you and left you a message to speak further details.

Lindsay · Married on 11/05/2011

2.6
      0.5

I booked my wedding over a year in advance. The person we loved ended up moving on and we were left with the property owner's wife (Nancy) as our new wedding coordinator. She is FORGETFUL, DISTANT, AND TOTALLY ANNOYING!!! One example is that she was over an hour late for a 3 month planning meeting and admitted she had forgot about us (even though I had confirmed it the day before!). Dealing with Nancy for months literally made me (the bride) INSANE. Priya was Nancy's assistant and she tried to help where she could and she definitely made the days leading up to the wedding easier but Nancy had already done the damage. If you want to book SG I would say go for it but try to deal with Priya as much as possible. Be prepared to do EVERYTHING yourself and KEEP REALLY REALLY GOOD records when dealing with SG because THEY WILL FORGET WHAT YOU HAD AGREED ON. As for the day of the wedding...it for the most part went off without a hitch except for the fountain not being on and all the twinkle lights WHICH I SPECIFICALLY TOLD THEM I WANTED THEM ON!!! Nancy came to me at the end of the night and asked when I wanted to leave...I told her the time we had agreed on and had been talking about for months then walked away. She gave me a confused look and I totally blew her off.

Sent on 11/29/2011

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

Thank you Lindsay for your feedback to help other brides. I hope that you find some resolve in the new ownership of The Secret Garden. Chef Doug and Camille Brochu of the 5 star, Creative Hands Cuisine, have just purchased The Secret Garden and I know their attention to detail and extremely high level of professionalism will make a 180 degree change. We hope you are doing well with your 3 year anniversary coming up!

Deborah · Married on 02/24/2017

2.2
      3.0

Our daughter was married at The Secret Garden on March 24, 2017. The venue itself is magnificent; all our guests commented on the beautiful grounds and the elegant setting. The presentation of the food was outstanding and the appetizers and main buffet were delicious-far superior to the usual wedding fare. However, there were some troubling aspects that truly detracted from the overall experience. We had provided favor boxes to be placed at each table setting but only three boxes were put on each table; we discovered the remaining favor boxes underneath a table after the reception had ended. When it came time for the toasts, the staff poured about a 1/4 glass of champagne into each flute and that was it. No more champagne. We thought this odd as we had provided two full cases of champagne. There was no explanation for this and at the end of the evening a full case of champagne was returned to us. Perhaps the biggest disappointment was in the serving of the wedding cake. After the cake was cut, it was whisked off to the kitchen. Some of our guests were served cake but not all. It was such an obvious screw-up that it was a topic of conversation at brunch the following day. That our guests were so keenly aware of the "cake shortage" is not a good reflection on the venue. At the end of the evening, a family member saw an entire tier of cake in the kitchen. We have no idea what happened to the cake but it wasn't returned to us. At 10:30 when beverage service ended, we appeared to be in a race with the staff on who would be the first to depart. Guests were still in the pavilion when table linens were being removed and the service staff were driving from the venue before the bride and groom departed. The signed contract indicated we had the venue until 11pm. We did attempt to address our concerns with the owner the week following the wedding; however, we never received an acknowledgement regarding the missive that was sent.

Sent on 07/12/2017

1.0

I knew Secret Garden was the place I wanted to get married the moment I stepped foot on the property. I was so excited to find exactly what I was looking for in a venue. We booked immediately. Alexis, our event coordinator was absolutely great. She was quick to respond to every email and really stay organized.

On the day of our rehearsal Nancy, the owner, took over as our coordinator. This was so disappointing. She kept calling my fiance and I the wrong names, had no idea what we had initially agreed upon, was completely out of the loop. She was terrible to deal with. The day of the wedding was even worse. She not only forgot everything we talked about the day before, but she ruined the surprise of seeing me by bringing the groom into my bridal room! I was very unhappy with having to deal with Nancy and how unprofessional she was. I would have given much higher reviews but I was quite displeased with how the owner had no idea what was going on with her venue.

Alexis was amazing and really holds this place together, she needs an assistant or some one else who can take her place when she is not there.

Also...the venue could really use a grounds keeper. The amount of dead birds and bugs all over the facility was disappointing.

Sent on 04/14/2014

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

I'm so sorry about your experience and appreciate your feedback. Although we're unable to "re-do" your special day, I hope that you find some resolve in the new ownership of The Secret Garden. Chef Doug and Camille Brochu of the 5 star, Creative Hands Cuisine, have just purchased The Secret Garden and I know their attention to detail and extremely high level of professionalism will make a 180 degree change. We wish you and your spouse the best of all wishes!

Megan · Married on 01/23/2016

1.8
      1.5
      1.0

We had our wedding at The Secret Garden in January 2016. The venue is fantastic, they have made a lot of changes in the last few years to further enhance the grounds. Our wedding was 75 guests, and we wanted a venue that was everything in once place but also not cramped or too spread out either. The flow of our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception was great. We also enjoyed the beautiful back patio where the bar was set up and some tables for guests to enjoy the fireplace.
    We had a few bumps getting things straightened out as we went along as a result of the impression we received at the time we signed our contract as we only rented the venue and not a package. It seems they treat those who do facility rentals versus packages much differently. When I had a concern Alexis and the staff were helpful and accommodating of us to make sure everything would go off without a hitch. Alexis was also responsive anytime I sent an e-mail or called the office. However, even though our package had a "day of coordinator" explicitly in the contract, my parents were the ones who set up decorations. If I wasn't on top of every detail things would not have gone as smoothly.
    We used a special pen in signing our marriage license, and Alexis accidentally took it with her instead of including it in our marriage license envelope. After contacting Secret Garden, they couldn't find it, but about a month later Alexis emailed me saying she had found it in her bag. I was so glad that the one thing that had gone wrong was about to be fixed! I wasn't in town that week so I asked her to mail it to my home instead of me picking it up at the venue (which is over a half an hour from my home anyways). It was mailed, but because of careless packaging the pen fell out of the envelope somewhere and never made it to us. Because they couldn't spend $1 more on an appropriate package after we'd spent thousands there, we lost a sentimental piece of our wedding with no apology. Thanks.

Sent on 02/15/2016

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

Megan and Jacob shared a lovely January wedding with us! We loved working with the wedding professionals they chose to complete their facility rental. The two were easy and quick to communicate with and a pleasure to work with throughout the entire wedding planning. Alexis and the team at Secret Garden worked hard to make Megan and Jacob's day, perfect! We felt horrible when we heard the special pen did not make it safely into their hands. We have tried searching online and at specialty stores in the hopes of at least finding a replacement. Unfortunately, we were not successful in doing so. It is always our intention to exceed expectations not disappoint! Our deepest apologies. We truly hope this does not affect the beauty of your wedding day with us.
  • Karley

Karley · Married on 02/19/2012

0.8
      0.5

I just want to start off by saying I had the most amazing wedding in the entire world and it was no thanks to the secret garden. The owners started off really nice and then when you sign the contract its a whole different story. The awfulness of these people started when they switched event planners on me two weeks before the wedding without notice to me or my groom. Throughout the weeks leading up to the wedding, they also would schedule appointments with me and then I would show up with my wedding planner and they were nowhere to be found! I could go on and on about how things went wrong up until the big day, but my wedding day is where things really got bad. My wedding planner who is also my aunt was in tears half the night because of the extremely rude, unprofessional, and offensive owners. We had written in the contract that our florist and vendors could start arriving at 10 am and when they showed up they were asked what they were doing there and told to leave and asked who ever said they could be there that early. They were only allowed to stay after pulling up the contract that THE OWNERs had wrote and showing them what it said. My family and friends and vendors were then yelled at for having a wedding planner there helping because they said they don't allow outside event planners! Really?? Since when?? We were then informed that our bar needed to close at 9 pm rather than the 11 pm we had paid for because it was against the law. Really? Youre going to wait until 5 pm on our wedding night to tell us this? I could go on and on about how awful these people are but honestly they aren't worth my time. It's sad the owners are so unprofessional and rude because this venue really is gorgeous. I will never be reccomending any brides or family to this place unless the owners are replaced!! Screaming and throwing things at my family and other vendors isn't going to fly with me! Learn how to run a business!

Sent on 02/22/2012

Secret Garden Event Center's reply:

Karley, thank you so much for looking at the bright side of your special day! I hope that you find some resolve in the new ownership of The Secret Garden. Chef Doug and Camille Brochu of the 5 star, Creative Hands Cuisine, have just purchased The Secret Garden and I know their attention to detail and extremely high level of professionalism will make a 180 degree change. Now you can recommend our beautiful venue and know that brides will have a fantastic planning process and wedding day!