Salt / Carey Weir Reviews

9 | Kearney, MO

9 Reviews for Salt / Carey Weir

Brenda · Married on 10/06/2018

I knew from the get-go that I wanted to hire Salt Catering because I had eaten Carey Weir's food before at business functions and it was fabulous and creative. Carey, her husband and her staff delivered exactly what I wanted -- an elegant spread of beautifully cooked and plated food. My guests raved about food at the event and are still asking about the ingredients and expressing appreciation for the fabulous tastes they experienced.

Carey generously worked with us to keep us on budget. I can't say enough good things about her team having my back during this big event and over delivering. I love, love, love her bacon wrapped dates, salmon, soup shooters, mediterranean spread, chicken skewers and everything else she served. Per my preference, we communicated mostly by email -- which saved so much time and worry. Carey was responsive, professional and blew our socks off when we walked in the doors of the reception area to see the spread and smell the love. Her staff at the event took such good care of us. The food and service was top notch and I definitely will be calling upon Salt Catering again and again.

Chelsey · Married on 10/04/2014

WOW!
    Fantastic food, fantastic service!
    Honestly, my husband and I were blown away not only by the taste of EVERYTHING we had, but the hospitality and smiling faces of everyone working at our wedding! I would recommend to absolutely everyone getting married or needing catering for anything! I felt more like a friend than a client to Carey which was a great close to home feeling! Wish we could do it all over again! Thanks so much Carey!!!

• Emily

Emily · Married on 10/27/2012

Salt catering is the BEST! I cannot tell you how many compliments we got on our wedding food. There was a great variety so everyone was happy. You name it, they can do it. All of it was absolutely delicious. Carey and her crew are wonderful to work with and you cannot beat the price. We will continue to use Salt for all of our catering needs. We can't get enough! Thank you Salt for making our day so yummy!

Jeramy · Married on 09/22/2012

O.M.G. the food at our wedding was spectacular. I used to think that no one remembered the food at a wedding, but now I know that I was wrong. Everyone loved the food - I think they'll remember it more than the ceremony! Our wedding was at a family farm, with a kitchen that just couldn't be used for catering. We were planning on having food that could be room temperature to minimize the need for electricity. Carey suggested instead that she grill and smoke meat on-site. There were many reasons we didn't want a seated dinner, but we were hesitant about the aesthetics of a buffet. Carey's buffet was about the most attractive food presentation I've ever seen. Every dish was served in a unique piece - from giant copper bowls for the salads to a wheelbarrow to hold the place settings. Her husband made serving pieces for deviled eggs from corrugated metal and she even brought a piece cut from a tree stump for the cake display. But I'm focused too much on the display - the food also tasted terrific. Though I fell into the bridal trap of barely eating, most people went back for seconds (and some for thirds). Carey even made truffled popcorn for the end of the evening.

We want to get married again, just to have her as the caterer!

Sarah · Married on 06/17/2017

So when I first hired Salt Catering towards the beginning of my wedding planning I have to admit it was almost impossible to get a hold of Carey to try to plan out our menu or make even the slightest adjustments to our menu. It almost seemed like we gave her our deposit then she went silent.

Then Terry was hired and I have to tell you... she was amazing! She was easy to work with and helped us make the changes we wanted while still staying inside our budget. They showed up to the wedding with amazing food and were so helpful and nice! They were attentive and tried their hardest to keep the venue clean and keep plates picked up. We were also able to use their bartenders who made excellent drinks and kept our guests happy. There was no haggling at the end of the night, the invoice we were given before the wedding is what we paid that night.

Overall using them ended up being a great experience! I would definitely recommend using Salt! They are easily have the best quality food for the price. Side note: we had garlic studded beef brisket, pesto stuffed prosciutto wrapped chicken, and tons of raw and roasted veggies - all for an astounding price!

Stephen · Married on 08/29/2014

3.0

Don't expect a lot of back-and-forth until about a week before your event. But as it gets close, Carey Weir (Salt Catering) really goes into action. She can provide a wide variety of foods to choose from (we went with a BBQ theme, and asked for a vegan dish for one of our guests. No problem!) Her staff is quick and professional. And best of all, the food tastes GREAT!

2.5
      2.5
      1.5

I want to start by saying that the Salt Catering staff was wonderful. Every person we interacted with was friendly, helpful, and responsive. The bad news is that we were disappointed with Salt Catering as a whole. Most of our grievances came prior to the wedding. Carey has some major communication issues. We had read some reviews that she wasn't the most responsive up until the week before the wedding, but we had issues pretty much up until the wedding. We had a wedding planner and between us and the wedding planner, we had to email, call, and text multiple times to get all of the arrangements ironed out. There was also an issue with the event space and the type of insurance Carey had. In addition Salt Catering was a preferred vendor at our venue and had catered there multiple times. We aren't sure exactly who was at fault, but it was frustrating and we had to incur additional last minute costs to provide the correct insurance ourselves. Carey also had to double the amount of staff the week before because she had inaccurately gauged our needs for guests, even though we had less guests than we originally discussed. To make it worse she requested additional staff 2 days before the wedding, we politely declined. During the planning process Carey was very friendly and laid back and did make a custom menu to our wishes. Now about the food, our guests loved the food. I had people tell me it was the best catered food they had ever had. Unfortunately we didn't think it was amazing. We were really excited when we had sampled Salt's food previous to the event. Surprisingly some of the food was way different than what we had sampled and not for the better. A big disappointment for us was that Carey had told us all the food was homemade. We could tell that some of the items that were supposed to be homemade, such as the mozzarella, weren't. This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but that was what we had agreed upon and paid for. In the end we wouldn't use Salt Catering again.

• Emily

Emily Fleming · Married on 12/01/2018

1.8
      1.0
      1.0

Salt Catering & Off the Vine Catering are both under Carey Weir - STEER CLEAR -

Clear and concise communication is a problem for Carey, but my biggest issue, was her lack of ownership when things messed up, and then how she handled it. I posted an ad on Thumbtack for a caterer. Carey reached out with a price of $7.50 pp. We chatted about the details and she settled on $10 pp with drop off service. Included in that price was to be: chili & baked potato bar with bacon, chives, sour cream, butter, roasted veggies and cheese. It would also include disposable plates/utensils/water/tea/lemonade, and hot cocoa, as well as linens. (I was providing all the cups and hot cocoa garnishes). Carey volunteered to include the linens and on Nov. 6 said she'd get a contract out to me that day. After asking 3 times, I finally received the contract on Nov. 12. The contract had black linens on it, so I responded to that email asking if I could change it to white, but Carey never responded about the linens. In fact, instead of telling me right away that she owned the black linens, so changing them to white would in fact cost an extra $225 and not be included in the $10 a person price, she waited until the week of my wedding to inform me. That week, I finally got to speak to Carey on the phone to nail down the details for the day of. I confirmed 150 guests, and Carey confirmed that her crew (step-daughter) would be there at 5pm to setup. She'd be doing halved potatoes, chili, roasted veggies, cheese, sour cream, butter, scallions, and bacon. She would also provide 3 cold beverage jars for water/tea/lemonade and 2 hot beverage pots for hot cocoa. Her crew showed up late, close to 5:30pm, with one (small) hot beverage pot and not two. Clearly not enough for my confirmed 150 person head count. I would have prepared differently had she informed me that she'd only be letting us use one of the pots, but she specifically said we'd need both, so I assumed everything would work out ok. The chili was greasy, and the potatoes were so tiny, not baking potatoes at all, like I had originally thought. The roasted veggies had once been frozen so they were dark, and full of liquid, and there was no bacon. All in all, Carey over-promised and under-delivered. I reached out to her the day after my wedding to let her know how things went, and her response was incredibly unprofessional and emotionally driven. Her first response? "Number one you got an amazing price for everything that I did for you." That tone completely turned me off to having any kind of further conversation with her regarding her services. She was the one who chose to work with me, and she decided on the price per person, that had originally included linens! I paid for those myself, so you can't tell me that disposable plates and one thing of hot cocoa costs an extra $450. I didn't want any money back, she had already charged me for the entire bill the day before my wedding, so that was done. What I wanted was a little acknowledgement for dropping the ball and a genuine apology. Instead, she shot off two snarky emails and blocked me from social media so I was limited in how I could review her company. If you read other reviews, whether it's Off the Vine Catering, or Salt Catering, she has major customer service issues. I recommend you take your business elsewhere. I left this same review on Thumbtack and she blatantly lied in her response. Business owners like her are certainly not who you want to rely on for any kind of important event.

• W

Williams William H and · Married on 07/02/2016

0.6
      1.5
      0.5

After reading reviews (great food, but poor communications). I knew communication would be a struggle, so I tried to give Carey the space she liked and didn't bother her until a couple weeks prior to the wedding. I got anxious when after a couple attempts to reach her, I didn't get a reply. I wanted to make sure 1.) she was still catering the wedding and 2.) I would have the final invoice available. (If you're planning a wedding you understand the financial pressure leading up to the final days.) I wanted to make sure we were on the same page and to make necessary adjustments. Five days prior to the wedding, Carey finally called to say she was all mine that week. We discussed a few changes and added some appetizers. Again, I requested a final invoice, but never received it. When they caterer came 2 hours prior to the start of the wedding, I was given the final invoice which was $3,500 more than what I had expected. The added appetizers cost ~$1,500 for the appetizers! Had I known she was going to charge that much, I would have called HyVee - it was a beautifully displayed cheese tray, but WAY more than we wanted and WAY more than I would have paid had I known up front.

We had to pay for labor. The staff was great, but there were eight people there for 7 hours (it was a buffet, not a sit-down service) and the labor costs alone were another $1,500. We had three bartenders that were very liberal with the liquor we had paid for and my husband had to talk to them about the generous pour (3/4 liquor w/1/4 mixer) and how we were responsible for our guests (most of them had driven to the event.) I sent an email to Carey outlining my concerns and received no correspondence back - just the bank statement that she had cashed our check. Needless to say, the fact that the final bill was presented a couple hours prior to the event and over $3,500 more than the original quote, I hope you choose a different caterer.