Running Hare Vineyard Reviews

Running Hare Vineyard 5
Running Hare Vineyard 6
Running Hare Vineyard 7

Michele · Married on 05/23/2015

I cannot express enough how glad I am that we found this vineyard. It’s obviously been designed specifically with weddings in mind, and Barb was fantastic to work with. After visiting, the other locations we saw (mostly pricy hotel venues in DC, and a few other vineyards) just didn’t stand up. When she mentioned that, almost a year and a half out!! that her May dates were almost entirely booked, we decided to sign and send our deposit.

I should note that we saw the Running Hare in December and still fell in love with it; it only gets better when the flowers start blooming. Barb kept promising us so many things – beautiful vines, rose bushes, fantastic summer lighting – and at the time I accepted she was probably exaggerating. I was wrong!!! Even the pictures of the venue don’t do it justice for how pretty the day of our wedding actually turned out. Capping each vine row with a red rose bush makes the whole scene look like a post card picture. Our guests were practically bewildered by the gorgeous vineyard.

There are some aspects that we loved that others might find limits their flexibility – she only allows one caterer, the Maryland Country Caterers. And weddings are recommended to begin at 6PM so you don’t compete with the wine tasting crowd (which is HUGE in May/June). We planned an evening wedding, so that didn’t bother us. And let me take a moment to gush – the Maryland Country Caterers are simply amazing! They do all the prep, set-up, clean-up, you name it they do it. Linens and centerpieces and decorations, done! Dave and Jennifer literally bent over backwards to make sure everything was exactly the way I wanted it, still within my budget. Their staff is well trained and incredibly courteous and professional. Plus they’re so familiar with the venue, it was clear they all knew exactly what to do. As far as package deals go, this is the best!

Thank you Barb for a wonderful, unforgettable wedding!

Sent on 06/03/2015

Running Hare Vineyard's reply:

It was my pleasure!! Please come back and visit us!

Melissa · Married on 03/14/2015

There aren't enough positive things that I can say about Barbara and the team at Running Hare Vineyard. My husband and I just got married there two weeks ago (March 14) and the only negative thing I can really say is that the rain forced us to have the entire event inside - which honestly was my biggest nightmare - yet still, it came out great! I booked the venue over the summer (June 2014) and I bothered Barbara ALL year with a million questions and concerns and she always answered right away and always made me feel like all my concerns were very important (even though most were silly, lets be honest - neurotic brides!). The venue requires you to purchase a minimum of 4 cases of wine from the vineyard - this came out to be rather expensive (over $1K), but the venue rental itself is VERY reasonable, especially in comparison to other venues surrounding the DC area, so it's absolutely worth it. Plus, the wine is delicious and if you run out during the reception it's on site to order more.

Prince Frederick itself isn't the greatest town (sorry, Barb!) but Solomon's Island isn't very far away, and there is a lot of local hiking and a golf course, so there's enough to keep guests occupied throughout the weekend. Very happy we had our wedding at the Running Hare - beautiful venue all around!

Sent on 03/29/2015

Angie · Married on 10/12/2014

We could not be more pleased with Running Hare Vineyard as the location for our daughter's wedding ceremony and reception. Barb and her staff were very accommodating and responsive throughout the entire booking process. The wedding was in October and the vineyard could not have been more beautiful. We would definitely recommend RHV to anyone seeking a vineyard venue in SOMD.

Sent on 10/21/2014

Brian · Married on 10/05/2014

My wife and I were determined to have our wedding at a vineyard in Maryland, but we were frustrated when we found that all vineyards in Maryland only allow you to serve wine and not beer/liquor....all except one that is. When we arrived at Running Hare, we knew immediately that it was the perfect place for our wedding. Barb and Mike were so accommodating, and they made us feel so comfortable with this decision.

Aside from the venue being drop-dead gorgeous, we loved that we chose early October for the ceremony. The sun was just setting after the ceremony, and the leaves were beginning to change. Everything looked amazing! It was a tad chilly, but we didn't mind that as much.

One last thing, I would highly recommend Mike's new beer selection. I went to the tasting area expecting an "okay" product in its inaugural year, but my whole wedding party was pleasantly surprised. Between the beer and the wine, Running Hare offers something for everyone, and I received no complaints from our guests (they all got a free tasting before the wedding!).

I would highly recommend this venue for a wedding, and want to thank Barb and Mike for their help in making our day as amazing as we had always dreamed!

Sent on 11/02/2014

Laura · Married on 10/04/2014

Running Hare Vineyard was the perfect place to have our wedding!! We loved it from the minute we saw it and it exceeded our expectations! Barb is an absolute DREAM to work with!!! She was incredibly helpful, knowledgable, and easy to work with!! The venue is beautiful and designed perfectly for weddings!

Sent on 10/23/2014

Elizabeth · Married on 09/27/2014

This venue is out of this world beautiful. Choosing Running Hare was the easiest decision I made during the wedding process. The only issue we had was that its popularity made it difficult to get a date and it was a little pricey.It was worth every penny though. I do not think there are more breathtaking places in MD that are so picturesque and elegant. I just love Barbara Scarborough. She is the cutest, nicest lady and I got to know her fairly well during the wedding planning. She even stopped by the day of my wedding to say hi! She had so many great recommendations and the way she designed that place was brilliant and she really designed it to be a perfect wedding location to meet everyone’s needs. The whole event was full of smooth transitions which, I have found, is invaluable when planning a wedding. My wedding guests loved wine tasting and beer tasting prior to the wedding and the weather was absolutely perfect. I have since had several people ask me the name of my venue because they are recommending it to friends. This place is perfect.

Sent on 01/12/2015

Sara · Married on 08/16/2014

When I began picturing my wedding, I loved the idea of being married in a vineyard with a breathtaking backdrop of picturesque scenery. And at Running Hare Vineyards, I found that my vision existed in real life.

Barb from RHV was warm, welcoming, and instrumental in helping me create our beautiful day! Our guests all RAVED about the outdoor ceremony, the event hall (reminiscent of a villa straight out of Tuscany), and, of course, the WINES!

You will love this venue. YOU. WILL. LOVE. THIS. VENUE. One look at where you could be walking down the aisle to meet your partner, under the shimmering chandelier where you'll have your first dance, or out across the once-in-a-lifetime view from the portico after your evening has ended, and you'll see why this place is absolutely perfect for weddings.

Sent on 09/06/2014
  • User4203011 · 2+ years ago

We couldn't have been happier with the Running Hare as our wedding location! Barb was very helpful and accommodating, and was responsive whenever I had a question about the grounds or decorations. The vineyard itself was beautiful! We did a tasting the day before the wedding, and many guests came early to the wedding to do a tasting, and we received many compliments on the quality of the wine and the general atmosphere. Also more affordable than comparable venues in the area. Would recommend to anyone looking for a vineyard wedding close to DC!

Sent on 06/25/2014

Alex · Married on 06/07/2014

Running Hare Vineyard is a spectacular venue, especially in the summer with all of the plants in bloom. The ceremony area in the middle of the vineyard is an extremely romantic and beautiful spot.The view of the vineyard from the portico is amazing. Barbara, the woman who runs Running Hare, is very helpful and responsive.

The venue does have a required caterer, Maryland Country Caterers, but they are excellent and very professional. The venue and the caterer are both somewhat expensive, but you get your money's worth, as they do a tremendous job. Running Hare also requires you to use their wine, but it's good and some of our guests actually went back the next day to buy bottles.

For any guests who arrive early there is an outdoor tasting area where they can enjoy a free wine tasting before the ceremony begins.

There were only two real minor drawbacks with the venue: (1) the path from the road to the reception hall is unpaved and narrow, which makes it a bit treacherous (though no one in our group had any trouble with it); and (2) the lack of a room for the bridal party to get ready in.

I'd strongly recommend Running Hare for anyone in the DMV area, especially if you're looking for something outdoors or with a rustic feel. We were incredibly happy with our experience.

Sent on 08/13/2014

Katlynn · Married on 05/31/2014

RHV is an amazing location to have your event! Barbara and her staff are also amazing. Once everything was set up, the day of my wedding it was beautiful!! RHV is so pretty in the spring and summer. It is also very affordable for a wedding venue! I would highly recommend RHV to anyone if they are looking for an event space! Also if you have time and want to get away for the day or afternoon, go to the wine tasting. They have an amazing wine selection, and they are very tasty!!

Sent on 06/24/2014

Nicole · Married on 05/24/2014

This venue is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I fell in love with it the first time I did a wine tasting here (their wine is delicious!!). Barbara, the owner, is so sweet, very helpful and quickly responded to any questions I had. Their exclusive caterer, Maryland Country Caterers, were great as well...great food and excellent service. Everyone definitely went out of their way to make sure our day went perfect! A big thank you to Barbara and MCC!!

Sent on 06/02/2014

Running Hare Vineyard is a beautiful location to have your wedding. We had both our reception and ceremony there. When you are there, it does not feel like you are in Maryland at all, but instead in a secluded beautiful gem. We worked with Barbara, and she was always very responsive and great to work with. All of our wedding guests loved this location. This venue does have a required caterer that you must use, but that was only a bonus. The caterer is just as wonderful! The prices for using this venue are very comparable to others in the area, and often times even better. And for how gorgeous this location is, it is worth every penny.

Thank you Barb for providing us with a wonderful space to have one of the most important days of our lives!!

Sent on 05/13/2014

Michette · Married on 10/11/2013

Running Hare is one of the most stunning wedding venues we have ever seen. RHV was the second venue we visited and we fell in love with it. We compared every venue we saw after to it. We were so happy when we booked it and kept reminding ourselves how amazing the venue was. The property is absolutely gorgeous and was carefully planned to accentuate a wedding perfectly. Barb was super helpful whenever I had a question (and I had many). Although we planned to have the ceremony outside, near the vines, unfortunately, it rained and we unable to. The events building is so beautiful and so versatile that were able to have our wedding pictures taken under the patio by the arcs and the pictures turned out beautifully! The ceremony was indoors and since the space is so large, it felt perfect. It did not feel like a back-up plan at all. This is truly a hidden gem and we were so fortunate to have our wedding at Running Hare Vineyard!

Sent on 03/17/2014

This was a dream venue!!!! My husband and I were looking for a unique venue that offered an indoor/outdoor option. We went through several vendors with absolutely no luck. While searching online one day, I stumbled across the Running Hare website and instantly fell in love! The view is breath-taking, and my husband and I loved that the outdoor ceremony site was actually in the vineyard!!! In addition to the amazing venue, the owners are such caring and easy-going people! Barb is extremely easy to work with, and she is so helpful with the planning process. I never had a hard time getting in touch with Barb if I ever had a question or concern. Almost all of my guests came from out of town and needed over-night accommodations, and we were able to book hotels within 3 miles of the vineyard. Prince Frederick is a really cute area with lots of food and site-seeing, so a lot of people came down for the whole weekend! Everyone absolutely loved the vineyard :) And the pictures from the wedding are AMAZING!

Sent on 10/25/2013

David · Married on 09/22/2013

Every father’s dream is that his daughter’s wedding is as perfect as it could possibly be. The venue, the catering, the arrangements and the coordination has to be fined tuned to perfection. I made the wisest decision selecting the Running Hare Vineyard (RHV) as the venue for Natalia and Han’s wedding. RHV is a piece of paradise that was stolen and hidden within the greenery of Prince Frederick, MD. We picked a good date as the weather was sublime. As we stood in the pergola, we were surrounded by red roses and the grape vintage which also witnessed the wedding vows as pronounced by Reverend Mary Rahall. The setting, so suitable and so perfect like extracted from a romance novel. The wines selected, Pinot Grigio and Malbec were exquisite and were complimented by all the guests.
    I must add that the venue was well complemented by David Benson and Maryland Country Caterers. What a 1-2 knockout punch it turned out to be. Seventy five percent of the coordination was right there in the hands of you two and it turned out to be a very wise and savvy decision. I am still in awe of how well the hall was decorated, how awesome everything was coordinated. The tables, linens, dishes, silverware and the colors were magnificent. The food was exquisite and the ambiance that progressively dominated the night was just the result of what David Benson had masterminded based on our requests. However, what made the night was the quality and attentions provided by Md. Country Caterers’ staff, specifically Ms. Tabathe Canter. During the entire evening, we were treated like royalty. We were pampered, spoiled and treated with such attention and detail that it made a wonderful evening into a memorable one. I recommend Maryland Country Caterers and Reverend Mary Rahall to officiate the wedding’s ceremony, she is a very sweet lady and was very accommodating. Please feel free to share my name and email address to anyone seeking an opinion or recommendation. Thank you so much! David

Sent on 09/26/2013

We were looking for an Italy/Tuscan feel for our wedding, and Running Hare nailed it. It was the first place we saw, and booking was probably the easiest decision we made throughout the entire planning process.

Pros -
    - Barb was amazing from the get-go - very responsive.
    - Pricing was competitive compared to the two other places we considered.
    - They're continually making improvements to the site.
    - Running Hare offers a choice between two caterers - both competitively priced. Barb also provided recommendations for almost all of our other vendors, most of who we selected and were very happy with.
    - The view!! Our guests were so impressed with the venue.

Cons -
    - We were lucky enough to have our ceremony outside (said "I Do" about 3 minutes before a downpour that lasted all night), but having the ceremony in the reception hall wouldn't be quite as magical.
    - There's no "bridal room" in the venue - my MOH had to bustle my dress out on the portico, and I didn't have anywhere other than the bathroom to touch up my makeup.

I'd 100% recommend Running Hare, our experience was nothing but positive.

Sent on 10/08/2013

Mary · Married on 09/14/2013

My daughter's wedding on 9/14/13 was perfect! Running Hare Vineyard is the most beautiful venue we could have asked for. Barb is passionate about her vineyard and building. Everyone raved about how wonderful it all was! Perfect day!! Thank you

Sent on 09/17/2013
  • Joleen

Joleen · Married on 09/08/2013

Running Hare Vineyard was the perfect place to hold a wedding. The views were stunning, the venue was beyond beautiful, and the reception hall was perfectly decorated for a wedding. Barb the owner was very professional to work with and I appreciated her personal touch of stopping by at the wedding and wishing me and my husband the best. The location was incredibly romantic and my family has said that they will be talking about this venue for a long time. I loved how we were able to get married amongst the vines and walk in the vineyard for pictures. It was a beautiful and unique location as many vineyards don’t allow you to walk in between the rows of vines. This is a wonderful location and I would recommend it to everyone.

Sent on 09/25/2013
  • Melissa

Melissa · Married on 09/07/2013

Where to start .... the whole experience was absolutely wonderful. RHV is absolutely the venue where dreams come true. Barb truly cares about her brides and their big days. This care shows in the great details of the building and ceremony site. She is highly responsive on email and phone for questions or concerns. She has a absolutely fantastic listing of vendors in which are held to high standards and expectations.

If you are looking at vineyards I would more than highly encourage you to visit RHV in person to tour the facility. You will feel that you have a private vineyard and your day will be stunning.

This hobby gone wild is the dream come true that made my wedding perfect.

Sent on 09/08/2013

Stephanie · Married on 06/08/2013

Outstanding! My husband and I held our wedding reception on June 8, 2013 at the Running Hare Vineyard. Due to high demand, we were blessed that there was an opening for us at this beautiful, Tuscan inspired venue! Our guests still talk about how much they enjoyed the reception. Since my husband and I are the last to marry in our families, we needed a child-friendly environment. We wanted the children to have fun, yet we wanted to create a sophisticated atmosphere. After the cake cutting, we invited all the men out on the terrace for scotch and cigars -the women soon joined them! Best part: The owners were low stress, tentative, easily assessable and the venue was very affordable! Our pictures are beautiful! We are so happy!

Sent on 12/04/2013

Cami · Married on 05/23/2013

In my mind, I could not have found a better venue to have my wedding at. My husband and I both love wine, and visited Running Hare after a recommendation from someone at Wine in the Woods last year. We had looked at 3 other venues, but wanted to look at a few others before making a decision. The day we met Barb, we were sold! The people there are so friendly, and Barb is very on top of things! Our guests are still telling us it was the most beautiful wedding they've ever been to. The wine is wonderful, and the views are amazing! It holds a special place in our hearts not just because we had our wedding there, but because it is truly one of the few places you can go to and completely relax, enjoy company with others, good wine and a beautiful day.

Sent on 05/30/2013

Michael · Married on 05/19/2013

My wife and I could not have asked for a more perfect location to get married. From the day that we set eyes on the vineyard, to include the ceremony site among the vines, and the amazing Tuscan events center - we knew that we would get married there.

Barb Scarborough is an amazing person who ensures that every single detail and need that a bride and groom can come up with is dutifully attended to. Barb is responsive to every single question via e-mail, phone, or any other way you can think of to touch base with her.

There is a great outdoor tasting room where your guests can go for a wine tasting before the ceremony, The vineyard staff there are ready to help with every need. Be sure to try all of the wines - they are all amazing in their own right and there is something for everyone.

The location of the ceremony site is perfect - it's situated on top of a beautiful knoll surrounded by vines and rose bushes at the end of each row of vines. The ceremony is performed under a pergola and there is a wine barrel perfect for your unity ceremony. There is power and an umbrella for your DJ or musician to perform from. A long and beautiful aisle surrounded by olive trees for the bride to walk down makes it all the more amazing. To top that - there is one of the most beautiful gates at the back of the site to help keep the bride out of sight from the groom until the time comes for the ceremony.

As far as the events center where we held our reception - there is only one word to describe it. WOW. In all of the weddings that we've attended over the years - neither of us has seen a more beautiful, immaculate, and perfect venue. Barb ensures that everything is perfect - to include the HUGE chandelier that is above the dance floor. There is a great bar inside, and there is a covered portico that is just right for wedding guests to hang out and mingle during cocktail hour.

There is nothing else like this - it's "The One!"

Sent on 06/03/2013

April · Married on 03/02/2013

What struck me about the venue was it's simplistic beauty. (Okay, except the incredible chandelier...there is nothing simple about that impressive work of art!!) The vineyard itself is set on rolling hills, surrounded by lush foliage. Even in February (when we first visited) and March (the wedding month), I knew the location was the perfect backdrop for the biggest day of my life. My fiance loved that it seemed so secluded, despite being mere minutes from the center of Prince Frederick (very clsoe to hotels, stores, and restaurants...for those guests who don't want to have to drive too far).

RHV is an absolutely stunning venue with an even more stunning proprietor. Barb was such a pleasure to work with in planning our big day. She went out of her way to schedule a meeting with us, as she knew we were driving in from 2 hours away. Barb is a prompt and efficient email communicator, and responds to voicemails almost as quickly.

You must use one of two caterers pre-approved by Barb, and we went with Canard's Catering, owned by Lisa Kelly. Clearly Barb knows good business(wo)men when she meets them, because Lisa was the perfect coordinator and caterer for our day.

Your guests will be planning their next visit to RHV before they elave. Guaranteed!

Sent on 03/12/2013

Danielle · Married on 09/15/2012

When both of my parents were brought to tears by the beauty and privacy of Running Hare Vineyard, we all knew it was meant to be. I felt like I was in Italy or California for my planning process as well as the wedding day itself. Vineyard owner Barb was available and responsive throughout the entire wedding process, and we were able to have our other vendors join us or visit alone to prepare for our wedding day, which made our event details play out exactly as we wished. The simplicity and elegance of the vines (with grapes still on!), trees , endless rolling hills and blue skies, paired with the Vineyard's tasteful (and practical) structural additions provided a backdrop to our day that left our guests breathless. The venue supported our 180 guests, from co-workers seeking a pre-ceremony wine tasting to family members needing a shorter or more comfortable walk to their seat. The Vineyard is conscious of privacy and making your day special. One of the perks for the bride is knowing that even if it rains, guests will have a blast having cocktails and appetizers on the patio before entering the beautiful events building for dinner and dancing. The events building fit our guests comfortably for a sit-down dinner and the perfectly sized dance floor hosted memories I couldn't have dreamt up myself. The wine, (Malbec ;Chardonnay;Pinto Grigio;Sangiovese (the four selections we made for our guests)) were ALL delicious. The value of the venue, in my opinion, is priceless. The unique privacy and outstanding beauty of the venue and the personable and caring touch of the staff truly made our day. I would highly recommend this venue to any bride looking to have an out-of-this-world ceremony and reception in an exquisite outdoor location in MD. Especially if you're into great food and great wine!!

Sent on 10/16/2012

Meleah · Married on 09/02/2012

We absolutely loved Running Hare Vineyard from the moment we stepped foot on the property, all the way through our wedding experience (married in September 2012), and afterwards as well. Barb Scarborough is such a pleasure to work with and she's selected a wonderful team, both on-site and off-site, to help make your special day more perfect than you ever imagined possible. My husband and I are so excited to have chosen this beautiful spot to always call our special place. We live in a different part of Maryland, so it will always be a place we feel like we can visit and reminisce about the many wonderful memories we have already made there and the many more to come. I would highly recommend Running Hare for any event you have in mind, but most especially for a wedding. The vineyard is beautiful (especially during the height of the season), the staff is very professional and helpful, and the vendors are amazing, too. Thank you so much for making our wedding day the most magical day of our lives!!!!

Sent on 12/21/2012