ROCKCANDY Professional Disc Jockeys LLC Reviews

99 | Denver, CO

99 Reviews for ROCKCANDY Professional Disc Jockeys LLC

Cait · Married on 06/05/2011

We were very pleased with our DJ from RockCandy. They played the music we requested on our planner and took requests from our guests. The DJ was good at getting people out on the floor and making sure everything went smoothly. He was so easy to work with, even when we had to change up our schedule at the last minute! The main office is extremly easy to work with and professional.

Sent on 06/07/2011

Amanda · event on 12/06/2013

Had a great experience with Rock Candy. Not only were they priced well below other vendors, they were willing and able to work with our time table.

Sent on 01/13/2014

Chris · Married on 07/16/2011

Rock Candy was not only professional, but affordable. Our DJ was outstanding and helped ensure our wedding was a complete success. Anyone looking for a DJ that will accomplish exactly what it is you're looking for - look no further. The entire organization was ready and willing to help whenever asked. Further, they have a great online music system that gave us the opportunity to find and create our music list any time we liked. Rock Candy really knows what they are doing!!

Sent on 08/10/2011

Jenn · Married on 01/02/2010

RockCandy was great! They're online tools were great and easy to use. Adam was very cool, and fun to work with.

However, I didn't know who my DJ was until about an hour before my wedding and he had no clue what I wanted to play during the ceremony. So I had to explain my entire ceremony music line up to him moments before I walked down the aisle. Not what I wanted to deal with! It was still beautiful, but just a last minute stress moment I wasn't anticipating.

Sent on 01/19/2010

ROCKCANDY Professional Disc Jockeys LLC's reply:

In regards to the ceremony complaint, the wedding planner was confused why there were so many song selections for the wedding party (each person walked in on a different song), so she simplified it to where it was a traditional ceremony play set. The other issue was that the DJ's performance location was behind a drape and he had to take cues from the planner, the planner was off on the timing, causing the DJ to start the songs not at the right time. In regards to not knowing the DJ, the original DJ assigned, his wife went into early labor causing the backup DJ to be called. The backup DJ had the event planner and made contact prior to the wedding taking place. He had all the songs and play list ready. The main cause of confusion was the wedding planner making the changes the day of, which caused stress to the bride. Rockcandy was not the cause of the confusion or stress, and received compliments after the ceremony took place from the bride and groom.

Nicole · Married on 07/18/2013

We had a great experience with Rockcandy DJ's.Jeff was very easy going and seemed to have a lot of experience with weddings. The online planning tool was very user friendly and made it easy to plan the event without having to meet in person. Overall we were very satisfied! The only slight problem we had was a miscommunication on the groom & mother dance, but once we notified him he was able to get everything in place on the fly (and quickly)! We got a lot of compliments from our guests that they thought he kept the dance party going, which is what we wanted. I would recommend their services for any event.

Sent on 07/23/2013

-Nicole
    Thank you so much for the review. This really means a lot and we'll use this experience for future events.
    Again Thank You!

Danielle · Married on 08/14/2010

The music and lighting was great. Our DJ (William) did a great job, the dance floor was full all night!

Sent on 09/28/2010

Nicole · Married on 07/25/2010

Rockcandy was a great choice, they were able to find all the songs that I wanted for all the special dances. They also played many request that guest came with hoping to hear. Only thing was some older guest at the wedding told me afterwards the music was a little to loud. Other then that they did a great job and the cost is not too high so adding some extras was not hard to do.

Sent on 08/06/2010

Courtney · Married on 06/07/2014

3.5

Jeff was great he was always willing to meet with us and never made us feel rushed or he didn't care. He was always excited to talk about the music, our event, and give us helpful tips. I thought he was priced well and would recommend him to friends. He stayed later then he was scheduled and everyone had a great time. Everything went perfect except he started our first dance song too early and messed up the order we wanted for father daughter dance and mother son. Other than that...it was perfect!

Sent on 07/21/2014

Alicia · Married on 08/11/2014

4.2
      2.0

Jeff and Johnny were very professional throughout our wedding. Jeff was our DJ and Johnny ran the photo booth. Their photo booth was amazing and I would HIGHLY recommend getting this service for your wedding! On their event planner, they ask you to just provide genres instead of specific songs you want played for the cocktail hour and dance. I was VERY particular about the songs I wanted played during the reception dance since I wanted to dance to certain songs with my friends. Jeff told me that was fine and I gave my list to him before the wedding and reiterated I wanted ONLY these songs played. During the reception, he played several songs that were not on my list, therefore not playing the songs I specifically wanted played. He did say he likes to read a crowd, but at my wedding, obviously I know the crowd and know what my friends will dance to. Jeff was prompt in returning calls and emails. However, he missed a scheduled walk-through with the event venue a couple weeks before the wedding. His excuse was he was in Winter Park all weekend for a wedding and was tired, but I never received a phone call to cancel. All in all, I would recommend Rock Candy DJ's, but just don't expect to have them play the songs you want played.

Sent on 08/25/2014

Jessica · Married on 09/04/2011

4.2
      3.5

I'll list some negatives first: we had a very hard time getting in touch with our DJ - he was not good at returning calls and that got me pretty freaked out as we got to the end of planning - and our "custom choice" songs didn't get played at the reception - basically they said we could request songs not in their database but then didn't play those.

Now that those are said: the prices was great, our DJ kept the crowd going strong all night, he took care of all the announcements which was great, and overall the night went beautifully. I see that a lot of people have problems with the "special effects" type things but we didn't use any of those so I can't comment. All we had was reception music.

Final word: Was it perfect? No, there are things I would have liked slightly different. Was it still great and helped make the night fun and wonderful? Most definitely :)

Sent on 10/10/2011

Tiffany · Married on 07/24/2010

3.0

Well, the initial meeting at village inn was interesting. We signed these guys as our very first vendor for the wedding after we had the venue. Adam, the guy who met with us was nice and assured us they had the most expertise in the industry. Our DJ was Jeff and he had 1 year with Rockcandy before our wedding day. A little bit of false advertising, but Jeff was great. Jeff played great music although he did forget the list of songs that we had requested to play. Overall, Jeff definitely rocks, but the company and its customer service overall is ok.

Sent on 09/04/2010

johnah · Married on 09/29/2008

3.0

what they did for my family was great. they made everyone get up and party. i loved how they did the music to make everyone want to listen

Sent on 05/11/2009

Rachel · Married on 05/22/2010

3.0

Overall, the DJ was good. He was amazing at keeping to the timeline! I loved how Rock Candy let you create an online play list of all the important songs, as well as a "must-play" list of songs. In addtion, the DJ played the kind of music I wanted with a few exceptions... I don't think he played our entire "must-play" list.

We had a little trouble with set-up, despite directions on the online form for an outside set-up for the ceremony. But he was responsive and moved very quickly to rectify the situation.

Sent on 06/09/2010

Vanessa · Married on 08/08/2015

3.4
      3.0

We were a bit disappointed in our DJ for the wedding. The most important part of the night- the music- was perfect. However, we did have a few issues. My parents met and booked with rock candy, and after booking they switched DJs on us. This didn't seem to be a problem because he was very professional and seemed totally with it at the walk through. However, the day of the wedding he seemed unsure of his responsibilities. He was supposed to MC the evening- we provided him with a timeline, but he didn't always go by it. He forgot to make announcements that were requested and wasn't really paying attention on a couple of occasions. When someone requests a DJ to perform at their wedding, they envision someone who takes charge over the events and clearly and audibly makes announcements so that guests know where to go when and what is happening next. I feel as though our guests were confused at times and weren't able to understand all the announcements he was making. My mother had a couple of specific requests- to do an anniversary dance to see who the longest married couple was at the wedding- and our DJ asked us the same question several times and still didn't quite get it right. He gave little or no warning for the toasts and for the father-daughter dance he played the entire song instead of the one minute requested. The biggest upset for my mother was the slide show she worked so hard on. We were promised that the slide show would play the entire evening, but he played it only during dinner while everyone was outside and couldn't even see it because he brought only one computer and couldn't play music while the slide show ran apparently. He didn't really stick to the timeline and only did things when directly asked. Despite all this, the music was great. People danced all night long, and he played every song requested. The mixture of pop and country was perfect. However, the night was more stressful than it should have been.

Sent on 08/19/2015

Heather · Married on 09/05/2011

2.5

Rock Candy did not meet expectations. The speakers malfunctioned during the ceremony, the very heavy main speaker fell on to the dance floor during the evening narrowly missing guests, the must play music list was not played, and the night generally was chaotic as the DJ did not follow the event planner that Rock Candy requested that we provide. I felt like I spent the entire night reminding the DJ what the next event was and the groom's speech was completely omitted! Additionally, several guests commented that the songs were not played in a sequence that one would expect from a dj, so the dance floor was never packed. I contacted management about my concerns before writing this review, but they were completely indifferent to my concerns, so I'm writing this to warn other brides- there are definitely better djs out there!

Sent on 11/10/2011

Katie · Married on 06/07/2014

2.8
      1.0

Jeff and Jonny were wonderful to work with from day one. They were extremely helpful and came at a great price! I was very confident in them because they had previously done weddings in both our ceremony and reception sites. They didn't call and stress me out the day of like I have heard of other dj's doing. They were at the ceremony and set up before anyone else, and everything ran super smoothly at the reception. We were lucky enough that they had a photo booth that was exactly what we were looking for, using 1 vendor for 2 things was a lot easier! And the photo booth was awesome!!! I really wanted a real photo booth, one that you could fit 3 people in 4 if you smoosh, like we grew up with, not a green screen. It was such a hit! And all the pictures make an awesome photo album!!!
    My issue is that we had the photobooth, which was a huge hit! They give you a zip drive with all the pictures on it, well we got half of our pictures and half of another event, I have contacted them a few times and nothing. They said they would send the correct zip drive and still haven't, our wedding was 6 weeks ago. They don't care they got their money, that's all that matters. Very unprofessional!

Sent on 06/18/2014

2.6
      1.5
      2.5

Jeff is a really nice guy and he was on time but he did not play many of the songs that were requested on our playlist that he asks you to create for your event which was very disappointing. He also did not accommodate many of our guests requests for song including the mother of the bride who asked for the same song twice and never got it. Several guests also mentioned they could not understand his announcements - that may have been in part to the venue but was surprised this was an issue.

Sent on 07/02/2014

2.0

While on the whole, our guests had a great time at the reception and danced, there were some significant issues and oversights that still bother me. Here's an overview of the concerns:

- The microphone/PA system didn’t work, so it was nearly impossible to hear the Matron of Honor/Best Man speeches. Whatever was wrong with the microphones made it sound like they were talking underwater. It was horrible.

- The DJ didn’t have our first dance song. When he announced our first dance (by shouting, as the microphones didn’t work), a different song was played. In the end, after much scrambling, one of my friends had it on his iPhone, which we hooked up to the speakers. Given that it was Dave Matthews Band, “You & Me,” which was what we selected on their online form and is a top song listed on their website, he should have had it.

- We had to answer far too many questions for the DJ. For example, he told me he didn’t have the schedule (which we had filled out online, as requested), and came to us with questions a number of times throughout the evening, starting with when we first arrived and were still outside trying to get a little one-on-one time. This left me feeling like I had to keep tabs on things, and the evening was less enjoyable as a result. Ultimately, I feel like some of these issues could have been resolved with a conversation or meeting prior to the wedding, but the only conversations that took place were related to making sure we'd filled out all their forms (music choices, schedule, etc. online). In fact, at least one email to the DJ with a few questions went unanswered.

Most troubling about this is that I provided this feedback to the company after the wedding and was told this was the first they'd heard of it; they were sorry and would speak with a manager, and I never heard anything more.

Sent on 09/30/2012

1.6
      0.0

Poor customer service and unprofessional. We found Rockcandy through reviews, met with Jeff, and signed a contract for our wedding. We paid in full to receive a discount. I worked with Jeff for the months leading up to our wedding. A week before the wedding, I got a call from somebody I didn't recognize and he said he was my DJ.

I said, "No, Jeff is my DJ - I have been working with Jeff."
    The other guy mentioned "Jeff got double booked so I will be your DJ, but I've done like 6-7 weddings so I can handle it."
    I said, "Let me speak with Jeff"
    Jeff got on the phone and assured me that he would in fact be there, he knew everything we covered, and that he will run the show, but the other DJ would be there because he is learning the ropes.

My wedding day rolled around and after the ceremony, some strange guy approached me introducing himself saying he was my DJ. I said, "Great, and where is Jeff." The guy replied, "Oh, Jeff couldn't make it- he got double booked." I was livid for a moment and I decided not to let this ruin the day - give him a chance he may be good.

The DJ we got started over 30 minutes late – I had ask him to get the dance started. He played the wrong song for mother/groom dance. My MIL spent weeks picking the song and then he played an inappropriate Aerosmeith song since their song wasn’t working. Throughout the night, the DJ used the Mic to make announcements, which nobody could hear. We asked to play some slow songs to break up the dancing for older people to join in. He didn’t play a single slow song aside from the first dance, father/daughter, mother/groom dances.

Worst of all, Jeff never apologized for this situation. We paid for our DJ, Jeff assured us he would be there, and then we got stuck with a newbie that messed up some important parts of our wedding dance. I left Jeff a voicemail and an email requesting him to call to discuss the events that happened at our wedding. He never called me back.

Sent on 11/09/2013

1.2
      1.0

I can't believe they brought me to write this review. I've given them 3 months to make this right.

I get a call on Wednesday night, a few day before the wedding, from Landon who leaves me a voicemail to tell me he's DJ'ing my wedding instead of Jeff. I called back frantic cause I never met Landon. He assured me Jeff had gone over all the details and given him my timeline and that he was very experienced. Jeff calls me the next morning to tell me not to worry, that he will still be there as my additional DJ due to the size of my wedding (400 guests).

The day of the wedding, I'm running late...dress half on and looking for my shoes when I get a phone call from Landon. He is lost and it's 2:30pm, the ceremony started at 3pm. DO NOT CALL THE BRIDE - That should be #1 in what not to do as a vendor at a wedding.

I needed Rockcandy at the ceremony solely for the PA system, so guests could hear the Pastor, our vows, and our readings. I had violinist, guitarist, and vocalists taking care of the music. So do you think anyone heard anything??? NO!!! The speakers were a joke and we weren't mic'd up.

Then we head over to the reception. I had told Jeff that the wedding will not be on schedule and to go with the flow, he understood this. Since I never met Landon, he didn't get me, my husband, or what I needed/wanted. Landon comes up to me freaking out and I had to yell back, "you don't know what's going on CAUSE I NEVER MET YOU!! make it work."

During dinner I wanted stuff like Jack Johnson and Jason Marz and Landon played nothing. Something about mixed signals from the bar around the corner. Luckily I had a DJ friend there and he went to the restaurant and they worked it out, then we had music.

I gave Jeff a list of about 6 songs that we REALLY wanted to hear during our wedding that would bring back memories with our guests and would reall

Sent on 10/08/2013

ROCKCANDY Professional Disc Jockeys LLC's reply:

Thank you for your review. Your opinion is greatly appreciated and notes have been taken!

Please take a moment to understand our side...

As a company we try to please all of our clients, and make the events as smooth as possible. Mistakes do happen, as we are not infallible, and we are happy to do what is necessary to rectify problems. With that in mind though, we can not please everyone.

In this case, the entire wedding was challenging.
    There were factors involving delays from many other sources. Everything from the venue being over capacity to food not being delivered on time. Any one problem would be easy to handle but, with all of these other distractions it is easy to see how problems get compounded.

It is common that the bride and groom do not get to consciously hear every song that was played during the evening, due to either being the center of attention, being pulled away for photos or even the amount of alcohol consumed. In this case we don't know what factors were involved, but we with out a doubt played from the songs requested.

Rockcandy had two DJ's there, as we said we would. Granted the support DJ did not stay entire evening, but that was never discussed.

We would like to mention that a call directly to the bride was not made day of. A call to the venue to verify directions was made however, and was handed off to the bride.

We are very sorry that in this case the client was not entirely pleased. Rockcandy understands the importance of a wedding day, as you can see from our other reviews. We stand by our service!

Regards

Anya · Married on 03/27/2011

1.2
      1.0

I know there are a lot of good reviews for this DJ, but on Yelp they only get 3 stars and 1.5 stars. Please check out Conor's review, as his situation was similar to mine (please, please read it): http://www.yelp.com/biz/rockcandy-professional-disc-jockeys-denver#hrid:UsA9USTchFNzpXCXoQ45_Q
    And reviews here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/rockcandy-entertainment-denver
    Be really careful if you want to pick this company. My husband and I really regret picking this DJ. They ruined some of THE MOST IMPORTANT moments of our wedding, and it is something we will never get back. We both get sick to our stomachs when we think about it. Here is a list of all the things we are STILL angry about:
    1. We initially met with Adam (who we liked, and who we thought would be our DJ), but we ended up getting Donny because Adam was "busy". We never met Donny, and if we did we would have never picked RockCandy.
    2. They constantly hounded us to sign our contract and pay (multiple calls a day), but once we paid we didn't hear from them for months, and they never returned calls or emails.
    3. When I did talk to Donny he was very out of it and didn't seem very responsible or reliable. I was afraid he was stoned and wouldn't remember our conversation.
    4. While Adam made the DJ's announcements out to be very upbeat and enthusiastic, in actuality Donny was not very confident or fun.
    5. He mispronounced our names during our grand entrance. AND our upbeat entrance music was so quiet no one could hear it.
    6. THE WORST: he cut our first dance song down to a minute and a half! That is less than half the song. We had to hurry up and finish. It was a waste of all the dance lessons we got and all our guests were confused.
    7. Also, he cut the father daughter dance to two minutes. Not as bad, but still upsetting.
    8. He didn't respond to multiple requests to turn up the music during the reception.
    9. He didn't take a lot of requests from guests, who got irritated.
    10. He didn't have some songs that were requested, and he refused to hook up ipods/iphones to play on their system. He said he didn't have the equipment?!?!
    11. Our party lighting and uplighting were underwhelming and not noticable until it was pitch black outside.
    12. For the level of service/satisfaction we got, they were very overpriced, and multiple guests were shocked at what we paid.

Sent on 06/16/2011

Krista · Married on 05/09/2015

0.8
      0.0

Reasonably priced and probably would normally be fine. I initially wrote a stellar review for this DJ's work at my wedding in May 2015. However, I later learned that Johnny was very unprofessional and not a good team vendor under the circumstances. We had an unexpected turn of events when our venue made us evacuate right before dinner due to flooding. While the DJ turned up and played our first dance and a few other songs after we moved to an alternative venue, I later learned that he was difficult with the people at the venue and that he was going to bail completely and just not go to the alternative venue. Note that we had not even had dinner, much less toasts, our first dance, or the father daughter dance. My wedding planner had to (1) get her boss on the phone to convince him to live up to his end of the bargain, and (2) BRIBE him to go to the alternative venue and complete his job. All agreed that he was uncooperative and unprofessional. Bothered me to learn how he acted through this situation, while others were all pulling together as a team to make my wedding work, despite the crazy weather.

Sent on 05/29/2015

Teresa · Married on 09/10/2011

0.6
      0.5

Boy do I have a review to give!

My daughter got married last weekend. I am a very detailed, meticulous planner, so I worked very hard on all the details of my only daughters wedding.

During our initial meetings with Joel, we were assured that all our requests would be no problem whatsoever. We were scheduled to have: a DJ for 5 hours, custom up-lighting of the ballroom, GOBO custom designed for the dance floor, and 2 confetti cannons for the grand entrance.

We even insisted on a demonstration of what the confetti cannons would look like, so Joel did a demo outside the RockCandy offices. All looked fine, and we were excited for the wedding day.

The DAY OF THE WEDDING - our DJ (Kay, who was awesome) struggled and struggled with the wrong/broken/crappy equipment that had been delivered.
    Bottom line: instead of 15-20 uplights and the promised 'magical' effect, there were only 3 lights that flickered on and off. The ballroom is very large, so 2-3 lights were pathetic and might as well not been there at all. It was a total bust.
    Instead of the fantastic confetti cannons (2 were promised) ONLY 1 went off, and shot 2 or 3 streamers. It was embarrassing. All we got was a loud pop and 2-3 streamers rather than the big, joyous grand entrance. A few people chuckled at how pathetic it was.
    The GOBO, which we had paid even more than EXTRA for (apparently it was a complicated design of THEIRS, so we were asked to pay even more than was standard) - the equipment did not work to display it. The hotel AV engineer stepped in for free to try to help, and they were able to shine a blurry image on the wall. So blurry, that people asked what it said.

Their equipment failed in every way, except for the music - thank GOD.

We got a bit of inside information after the wedding that Joel - the supposed owner - has gone to Florida for several months to take a job there. Apparently no one left behind to run the business really cares about making sure a job is done right. Also, we found out that Rock Candy has only 1 GOBO machine, and had booked it with 2 weddings that weekend. So they went out and rented a machine and sent it to my daughters wedding. The problem was, they did not check it to see if it worked with the GOBO - and it did not. The disc was too small for the rented machine. So rather than a lovely monogramed image lit on the dance floor as contracted for, we had a blurry, out of focus image shown on the wall.

I will never recommend Rock Candy DJ to anyone. They failed miserably. Their equipment failed miserably. Kay - the DJ was wonderful, and we absolutely loved her. You have only one chance at your wedding - don't take a chance with this company. Believe me.

I think that this used to be an awesome company - we heard from other friends that when Adam owned it - things were wonderful and smoothly run. Joel seemed to be a great guy, but when he stepped out of the picture, the company appears to be in deep trouble. I'd go so far as to warn anyone who has them booked for an upcoming wedding to change your plans and get another company. There it is.

Sent on 09/21/2011

Katrina · Married on 10/01/2011

0.2
      0.5

I met with the staff of RockCandy DJ in January. The staff said the DJ's had several hours of training. I expressed concern that the DJ would be corny or one that just sat back and did not motivate the crowd. They assured me this would not happen. They only book three events per weekend to ensure the best DJ's and availability and provide clients with a big play list. The Modern Package is to include a light façade and additional lighting. The up lighting, would include two colors and be placed around the room to enhance it.
    January 22, 2011, I called RockCandy and to lock in my wedding date of October 1, 2011. Rock Candy informed me the DJ would contact me three weeks prior to my event.
    September 12, 2011 (3 weeks prior to event), I e-mailed RockCandy asking when the DJ would contact me and what information to provide for up-lighting. I didn't get a response.
    September 14, 2011, I sent a follow-up e-mail. Still no response.
    September 22, 2011, I received a system-generated e-mail stating the DJ would get a hold of me three weeks prior to my event and my invoice was due 7 days prior to the event. I called RockCandy since we were within the three weeks and I had not heard from the DJ. They informed my DJ had not been decided on yet and would have him contact me as soon as he was.
    September 25, 2011, after several of hours of looking through the play list, I submitted my requests. The owner e-mailed me back he received it and he would pass it to the DJ.
    September 26, 2011, the DJ called. I asked him to arrive around 2:30 because of time restraints. He informed me he couldn't do that and would be there around 4:00. I asked about the schedule and he did not have one available. I asked what he needed for up lighting and he had no idea what I was talking about and said he would call his "boss".
    Later, the DJ called with the schedule, changed his arrival time to 2:30, and there was a plan in place for up lighting.
    Day of my wedding!
    We arrived at the reception to no announcement. I were looking forward to being announced. The DJ only had a table, and minimum lighting. None of the items promised with the Modern package (extra lights, and light façade) were present. The up lighting was very minimal, one only in one color, and put in random places.
    Now, its announcements time and he announces our best man and maid of honor incorrectly and forgets to announce the correct ones all together. These two were very important and they did not get the credit they deserved.
    The DJ didn't have any of the music I requested available. He was downloading the music at the reception. He did not motivate any one to dance. He said very little and what he did say was initiated by me. People told me this was the worse DJ they have seen.
    Toast time arrives and there are no wireless mics and he is not prepared to provide mics for the toast. The photographer had to get the mics and set them up. The maid of honor had to lean over the table because the mic did not reach.
    Finally, there was suppose to be a money dance for my husband and me. He never did this. This is tradition with my family and I know several people were waiting for this. Missing the money dance cost my husband and I an unknown amount of money.
    After Wedding
    I had knee surgery after my wedding so a family friend followed-up and asked for a refund. She informed me she talked with someone. This person informed her they hired out for my DJ! The DJ was not trained by them, did not know how to set up the up lighting (evident by placing), did not have access to the play list, and was nothing I was promised. RockCandy said they would refund some money but I never received it.
    We called several times following up with no response.
    My wedding day was suppose to be special. This is one day I can never recreate and the DJ should play a significant role in making it special.
    RockCandy misrepresentative themselves and fell short of their promise.
    I filed a complaint with the BBB months ago and have yet to hear back for the company.

Sent on 01/24/2012