Riverbend Chapel Reviews

67 | Washington, MO

67 Reviews for Riverbend Chapel

Everything was absolutely wonderful! All the details were taken care of, and any last minute changes were handled ease. All my guests had a wonderful time, and were well taken care of.

Sent on 04/24/2014

Audra · Married on 10/28/2012

It was a wonderful experience. The companies they contract the wedding cake, bar, flowers, and dj with are just as wonderful. Received so many compliments on the venue, food, and music. They work hard to make your wedding and reception a reflection of you. There is nothing to worry about when you are in their hands.

Sent on 12/03/2012

Carrie · Married on 06/28/2014

Wow, what can I say about The Vineyard at Riverbend Chapel? From the very get-go, Toni was very responsive, friendly, professional, and personal. Riverbend has a lot of preferred vendors that can help the busy bride enjoy and stress less about the planning process. We had them book the DJ, cake, and flowers for us. You have to use their in-house DJ, but Allegro and their DJ, Josiah, were absolutely fabulous. You also have to use their preferred bar service, Champagne Wishes, if you opt for a bar. Riverbend also cooks all of their food from scratch and on-site. We ordered the chicken florentine, and we got SO many compliments on the food. It was absolutely delicious. Riverbend also provides you with a day of coordinator. Our coordinator was Tonya, and she was fantastic. Tonya and her team took care of EVERYTHING, from set-up, break-down, and keeping the bridal party on schedule. They even helped us pack up the cars at the end of the night! Riverbend also has the option to have indoor or outdoor weddings. You can even make the decision the day of in case the weather is too hot or it's raining.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend Riverbend to the bride who is looking for a less involved planning process, as they take out a lot of the work of researching vendors and planning preparation. It was a beautiful location, and we had so many guests asking us how we found this location. Everyone, including myself and my groom, had such a great time!

Sent on 07/04/2014

The workers and staff at the venue were very helpful and kind. I asked to be able to bring my dog so that we could take pictures outside with her, and they were totally fine with it. Tonya, our coordinator, was very responsive and helpful. Everything turned out great, and all our guests commented on how beautiful the venue is.
    The only thing I wished we could have changed would be picking our own caterer/bar service.

Sent on 06/12/2014

Erin · Married on 09/06/2008

This was an excellent venue for a September wedding. We were married outside, but they easily could have moved us into the chapel if the weather had been poor. The banquet room is beautiful and the view from the chapel is great. It was perfect. The food could have been a little better, but overall it was great!

Sent on 05/04/2009

Amy · Married on 08/08/2009

If you are looking for a stress free wedding ceremony and reception......Riverbend is the place for you. They, especially Tonya (our wedding coordinator that was provided by Riverbend) did an excellent job at setting up, decorating and attending to the needs of my guests throughout our entire day. I was very impressed with all that they did and the food was excellent. Riverbend works with some great vendors, including Wedding Wonderland Cakes. It is a month later and I am still getting compliments on our cake!!! And their beverage vendor was excellent as well. They were very responsive and friendly to our guests.....I just wish there would have been a "last call" made. Overall, I am very thankful that I made the decision to go with The Vineyard at Riverbend Chapel. :)

Sent on 09/21/2009

3.5

Loved the place! Overall great venue! Couldn't have imagined getting married anywhere else!

Sent on 08/06/2014

Tara · Married on 11/11/2011

4.2

THE PLACE IS BEAUTIFUL. IT WAS GREAT TO HAVE IT ALL IN ONE PLACE. THE FOOD WAS FABULOUS.

Sent on 12/07/2011

Amanda · Married on 05/25/2008

3.5

Caroline Vineyard is a great place to get married in the St. Louis area. Its locateed about 40 minutes from downtown, and about 10 from Six Flags. They are a one stop shop. They have vendors set up for the cake and the flower as well as special pricing with a photographer/videographer. You are able to pick from about 40 cakes, and have an unlimited selection in flowers. My bouquet was fabulous!!

They set up everything, clean up everything and pack all you presents including the top of the cake in your car so there is nothing for you or your family to worry about.

Another nice thing is that they provide drinks and food for your guests to enjoy on the deck, inbetween the ceremony and reception (which is just down stairs), while you take pictures.

Its really a great place. If you want to have an outdoor wedding but are too nervous this is a great place! They have a beautiful indoor wedding chapel as a back up, incase of rain.

I paid $5000 for Food, Flowers, Cake, the venue, the officiant, DJ, Bartenders, set up, take down, parking attendants, and a wedding coordinator to help me plan everything. This is all included in your package!

Sent on 06/29/2008

Michelle · Married on 05/29/2011

3.0

1) LOCATION! The scenery overlooking the river is gorgeous! The grounds are beautiful! My husband and I loved that we could say we were married at a vineyard.

We chose to have an indoor wedding, which was gorgeous as they have wall to wall windows allowing lots of natural light in. One can easily do an outdoor wedding but we didn't want to chance it with the weather...rain, heat etc. We were lucky and had a beautiful day with lots of sunshine...hot though...97 degrees! We took photos after the ceremony outside and then came back out at sunset for a few more photos!

The reception is inside which is downstairs and also gorgeous. The location can easily accomodate 200-250 guests. We really liked that our guests, all of which were out of town, didn't have to travel in between ceremony and reception. The venue offer h'ors d'oeuvres after the ceremony while you are taking photos. So the guests don't need to entertain themselves for hours while photos are taken like at so many other weddings I have attended...huge pet peeve of mine!

2) Wedding Factory: this place is made for weddings...somethimes doing 2-3 in one day. We were married on Sunday May 29...memorial day weekend. Because we were married on a Sunday we saved $2000 on the cost of the venue...which is NOT cheap. We were the only wedding that day which made it very easy for us to get to the venue early to get ready and we added an extra hour to our reception so it made the timeline of everything a little less squeezed...we were able to dismiss the guests pew by pew at the end of the ceremony and have a little more time for photos than previous couples have commented on. Overall, b/c they do so many weddings, things run pretty smoothly and they have vendors and a minister for you to have if you so choose.

3) Wedding Coordinator: You get a day of wedding coordinator. We had Terri, she was very nice but seemed very distracted and confused easily. She repeated herself a lot, didn't seem to listen after we told her something, and loss control and focus of those at the rehearsal b/c she was repeating the same thing over and over. Further, we started paying for open bar at 6p but she did not usher the guests down to the reception area at that time and I had to say something while we were taking photos, as I was tired of guests milling around watching us take photos...I wanted them downstairs enjoying themselves!!! Further, on the day of my mom had to remind her of a few things, and ask for a few things that should have been taken care of. For instance, we had a cookie buffet and she let it run empty many times despite having brought many more cookies to put out and guests kept asking my mom about it.
    Overall, Terri did a great job and it is very helpful to have a person to set up/take down and handle little details of the day. I know that Riverbend has other wedding coordinators and I have read great reviews about them as well.

4) Cheapest Open Bar: THe preferrred vendor, Champagne Wishes for this venue is the cheapest around! However, we signed a contract at the earliest time we could, and of course, they made changes to it a week before our wedding! They insisted we had to pay the bartenders more than what was stated in the contract, OR they could charge the newer increased price per person. Supposedly to help me out, she did the math and was "Clearly doing me a favor" by saving me $100 if I paid the bartenders more. So I was a little put off by the change in contract and didn't think it was handled the best, but I would still use them for my wedding again b/c you just can't get a cheaper open bar...we paid $6.50/person...now $7.50.

5) Minister: We chose to use one of their ministers, and we had Pastor Keen. We really liked him and we loved the way Riverbend sets it up, for you to have 3 pre-marital sessions with the minister before your wedding included in the price. We got to know one another and felt very comfortable with one another. I feel honored that he married us.

6) Cake: we did not use wedding wonderland (charged a hefty fee for transportation and was more expensive than we wanted per slice) the preferred vendor for cake. We used Creations by Laura, in Union, MO. She did a wonderful job, set up the cake, put the flowers on it, the cake monogram. It was beautiful and tasted wonderful. We had a small 2 tier cake and sheet cakes...a cheaper option for us. It was nice b/c we chose 4 flavors and the servers brought out the cake to the guests and let them choose which flavor they would like.

7) Flowers: We used their preferred vendor: Four Seasons in Washington MO. They were the cheapest available as well. However, I would not use them again. We had one meeting with the florist in January and I told her my three favorite flowers, that I would like lavendar, and I would like my bridesmaids to have ivory. The meeting was very quick. They showed me no examples. I had no idea what my flowers would look like the closer we were to the date.
    A month before the wedding, I called them and asked for further confirmation of my choices and they confirmed what I would be getting. A week before my wedding I call to arrange dropping off the flower girl basket and I am told that my flowers look beautiful. However, one of the flowers used was not the flower I chose and was replaced with another flower without even asking me.
    Further, at the meeting I gave two photos, one of tulips that I absolutely loved! The day of I see my bouquet and the tulips are nothing like what I showed them. They are ruffly and I couldn't even tell they were tulips until my mom told me they were. Not at all what I imagined!
    Then my bridesmaid's flowers were not ivory like I wanted but just mini look a likes of my bouquet...which is fine, but again, not what I wanted.

8) Toni, the manager. Toni was always very good at communicating. She was very nice. Very organized. Very Focused. I enjoyed working with her. Further, other brides have told me about a previous manager of Riverbend chapel that was very strict and had many rules. Toni was not like this at all; she was very open to my ideas. She was always willing to accomodate. I didn't feel at all hindered by rules of the location.

We contracted for too many guests and to help accomodate this, since you can't take the extra meals home secondary to health codes (?), she gave us some upgrades that we originally had not chosen. This didn't, of course, make up for all the extra $ that we spent but it did help and made us feel better about things.

I would definitely work with Toni again.

9) DJ: Eagle's Wings. I was not happy with the DJ. He was not at all the Dj that we met at all the open houses. We had met Jeremy Jones, who was very nice, seemed to understand we wanted people up and dancing and how he made sure that happened. OUr DJ, Tim, who I guess works for Eagle's Wings (?) was not the person I was communicating with in regards to teh details or the man we met. He didn't play the cake cutting song I wanted. His music selections were not very good. He did not end the reception on the song we wanted. We would not use him again.

10) Photography: Darin Hart
    Darin is NOT a preferred vendor, but he has worked at this location several times. He did a great job and was the most reasonably priced photographer we could find. Their preferred vendor was quite expensive. We are still waiting on the photos...almost 2 weeks this Sunday, which is when Darin said they would be available, so I have not seen them, but he did show me a few when saying goodbye at the end of the night on his camera and they looked fantastic!

11) Videography: Bill Morton Videography
    THis is NOT a preferred vendor for the venue. However, he was there the whole day...though he made it awkward sometimes...made us to contrived actions even though we didn't want to and was sometimes in the way of dancing b/c he was trying to capture it. We have NOT seen our video (8-12 weeks) for that, but I do think I will be happy with the footage and I am so excited to see our ceremony and toasts at the reception!!!

12) Food: We went to the open house to try the food and make our selections as this is almost the only time you can try food for this venue. We chose the chicken marsala which at the tasting was dry and were hoping for the best at our wedding...sure enough we were not disappointed! It was delicious. Further, we did the double entree option for all of our guests and our second option was the apple glazed pork loin which at the tasting was SO delicious and we talked it up with the family forever b/c we were so excited about it. THen at the wedding you could barely taste the apple glaze and it was just not as good as the tasting. A give and take. Everything else was delicioius...the spinach salad, the red roasted potatoes, green bean alamandine. OVerall, no regrets...just wish they could make their entrees more consistent in taste.

Overall, it was a magical evening. We loved the venue. A few snags here and there, but overall a pretty stress free venue for the bride and families. All of our guests raved about the location. If I was doing it all over again, I would still choose this venue and I do recommend it to other brides as well!

Sent on 06/10/2011

Christine · Married on 05/30/2010

3.0

My husband and I knew from the beginning of planning that we wanted an outdoor ceremony and an indoor reception (for the comfort of our guests). We searched the greater St. Louis area for venues and combinations of venues that fit the bill, and Riverbend had all the elements we were looking for: beautiful setting, indoor back-up on site in case of bad weather, nice reception area, and some preferred vendors.

The outdoor ceremony location is gorgeous, and it really made our day. The patio sits overlooking the river. There is an attractive arbor over the altar and a long and dramatic aisle that made for a really special entrance when I came down.

It's really convenient that there is an indoor chapel on site, which is also very nice. It has a full wall of windows on the front and back, so if you are forced to move inside because of inclement weather, it still has an "outdoorsy" ambiance.

The reception area is also right on site, which was more convenient for our guests coming all the way from St. Louis to Washington. The reception area is nice, nothing spectacular, but nice, with another wall of windows with a view of the woods and river.

Pros:
    1. A day-of coordinator who works with your vendors -- We worked with Amy. She was reliable and professional, organized, handled the rehearsal well even with my unruly family, and also coordinated the timeline on the day of the wedding.
    2. The option of selecting from their preferred vendors (saved me time searching for people, all the preferred vendors were good -- we used their florist, cake decorator, DJ, and caterer),
    3. Location, location, location -- can't say enough good things about the ceremony location and how many compliments we got from guests on how unique it was.

Cons:
    1. They are somewhat limiting on some vendors. Contractually, you have to work with their caterer and bar service. The food was good and the bar service was also fine. The problem was that their caterer only caters for them, so if you want to taste their food in advance, you have to arrange to go on a night they have a wedding. We didn't really understand that in advance and never did get to sample the food before the wedding. Luckily, it worked out and tasted good. (We had the chicken marsala and roast beef. I would recommend saving some $ and getting only the chicken...it was better.)
    2. They have a lot of rules to remember. I suspect this is normal at any place that does a lot of weddings, but at some points, it felt like we were cogs in a machine. You have to get here at this time and do this. Certain types of candy and alcohol aren't allowed on the premises, and the kicker -- you only have 45 minutes for photography in between the ceremony and reception. We had planned for this, but the coordinator was standing over us the entire time, reminding us to get back on schedule, and as a result, I felt like we didn't get as many pictures with the wedding party as I wanted. We could have been 5 minutes late to the reception.
    3. The biggest con is cost. This place is not cheap. I know 100% I could have found some cheaper vendors, but I didn't want to. For me, it was a trade off -- my sanity OR the best "deal" on a wedding. I chose my sanity, and it really ended up working for us. None of the vendors were THAT expensive. We used our own minister, our own photographer (despite a lot of pressure to use theirs). We used their florist (even after I looked around, it was the best value), their cake baker (tasted great!), their DJ (he went above and beyond), caterer, and bar service. The location itself was expensive too, but like I said, that part MADE the day. The photos of the ceremony location, the river, the sunshine, the grounds were perfect for us.

Overall -- If you want to control every aspect of the wedding, Riverbend may not be the best choice for you. But if you want a really unique wedding, without the legwork of researching and finding each and every vendor, Riverbend really was great.

Sent on 06/24/2010

Jennifer · Married on 04/04/2008

4.2

Venue is perfect for an outdoor or indoor wedding! From the moment we saw pictures of the vineyard we knew that's where we wanted to get married. We thought having such an all inclusive venue would be great, however using their vendors did end up causing a bit of frustration. All in all our wedding coordinator was great and the day was wonderful. We just wish their customer service was a little better and they concentrated more on what we wanted, rather than what they "always" do.

Sent on 05/12/2008

3.5

This location was beautiful And easy to work with. Coordinator was amazing and loved the fact that they do all the work while my bridal party and I got to relax and enjoy the day with no worries.

Sent on 11/15/2013

Ruth · Married on 08/05/2011

3.6
      2.0

Riverbend Chapel is good at what they do, however they are not very flexible or open to you changing things to make it unique to you...what you see is what you get.

Sent on 08/29/2011

3.4
      3.0

Overall service was pretty good. The bar service owner was rude when confronted with issues. Everything else was great! The wait staff was very nice and the food was amazing! All our guests complimented the food. Although the owner of the bar service was rude the bartenders who were serving were very nice. The DJ, photobooth, cake place and flower company's were awesome. Keep recommending them to all of your brides! Toni was always available and very helpful for everything. I would recommend this venue to all of my friends. All of out guests loved it and said how beautiful it was.

Sent on 02/21/2014

Amanda · Married on 07/19/2014

3.2
      3.5

Overall everything was pretty good. Food was a little cold when it was served and not completely what we expected. But it was still good. The bar service was not very good at all. The lady who took care of everything was very rude and ignorant. She got the wrong kind of my.dew which wouldn't have been a big deal if she wasn't ignorant about everything. The prices for the bar service was outragious and we definatly did not get our moneys worth is service. Other than that everything was great.

Sent on 09/20/2014

Marjorie · Married on 04/26/2008

2.2
      2.5
      0.0
      2.5

Now, before I go and say all the things that went wrong, I will say that the day turned out beautiful and I was so glad we had our wedding outside. We got some amazing pictures and everyone was so impressed by the ceremony setting. Also, everything about this vendor was great up until the day of the wedding. It really seemed as if they had never put on a wedding and just threw it all together. I wouldn’t have minded paying so much for it all if they would have actually delivered what they had said they would. With that said I will say that if you or anyone you know wants to use this place for your wedding day, I would be sure to look into everything that is supposed to happen, and make sure it's actually being done, or at least have a backup plan if the place doesn’t follow through.
    1. Decorations: When I received the folder brochure with all the pictures of passed weddings, I saw how everything was decorated. So, when we payed $500 for a "decoration service." I though that’s what I would get. Online they show this picture of the archway and the chairs set up with these beautiful flowers draped everywhere. Well, what I got was a single grouping of white flowers about 4 feet long set up with a 2X4 on the archway. During the Ceremony this 2X4 with flowers on it FELL AND SWUNG TOWARDS MY HUSBANDS HEAD! Fortunately he ducked and it missed him, but it did hit the best man! That board could have knocked someone out! Not ONE SINGLE person from the place even sad they were sorry about it.
    2. Ceremony music: We had opted out of getting a provided DJ since we were not having music to dance to at the lunch reception. We were told that would be fine and they would still provide music set up at the ceremony, which cost us $125 for equipment and a technician I am assuming (that's what our contract said). We just had to make a CD with our music on it and when each song was to play. Well, sometime that morning, when they went to play my CD they realized it didn’t work in there CD player because it was TOO OLD. I played that cd in my computer, my home stereo, and my car to make sure it worked. I even made a back up cd. So, if they had asked me to make a burned CD to play at the ceremony, why wouldn’t they have updated enough equipment to play it? Or at least tell me it didn’t work so I wasn’t freaking out walking down the aisle to some violin funeral music they just threw on!! I could have given them the backup cd if I would have known. We spent over 10 thousand dollars there, and they can’t afford to update a CD player! Then after the ceremony they played music for the in between time and the CD they played was skipping loudly for at least 10 min before a friend of mine went over and unplugged the music completely. Where was someone from this place at that point!?
    3. The Food: After the ceremony they provide light snacks while the wedding party is getting pictures taken. Then everyone was supposed to be sent downstairs for the lunch. We were told that a employee would be present at all times to let everyone know what was going to go next and keep track of time etc. This wasn’t the case. Our officiate announced that snacks would be inside and that’s where everyone went. So, after about 45min of cheese and crackers, everyone was just standing around like, what are we supposed to do now. (I was outside taking pictures so I didn’t know) No one was telling them that lunch was downstairs. I included it on the invitation but I heard later that everyone thought the snacks were the lunch. So, when we were all done with picture and made out entrance into the reception, I noticed there were about 50 empty seats!!! Those people had left because they were hungry for lunch. At $30.50 a person, I wasted over $1500.00 on food that no one came to eat!! The wedding coordinator acted like it was my job to make everyone stay! I WAS TAKING PICTURES! Well, when we finally sat to eat, I was disappointed in the portion sizes of the meal. Like I said earlier $30.50 a person, I know this includes the drinks and the silverware and plates, and the staff to prepare everything. But the grilled chicken breast was so thin, and the size of the mashed potatoes was the size of a small ice cream scoop. Everyone left hungry. Then, we had asked if we could take the leftover food because of all the missing people, and my mom had to argue with this lady ( the coordinator ) for about 30 min until they let us have the food we already paid for! At least we got it.

Overall, this place was a HUGE disappointment!

Sent on 06/08/2008