River Farm - American Horticultural Society Reviews

54 | Alexandria, VA

54 Reviews for River Farm - American Horticultural Society

Lauren · Married on 04/23/2011

I really enjoyed having my wedding at River Farm. I received so many compliments on the setting. The landscape is so beautiful! A few problems: 1. they do not allow open flames, I adjusted by using battery operated tea lights.. not a big deal. 2. It rained the night before and there really was no option for Rain, thankfully the sun came out right before my ceremony. But it did make for much panic the night before!

All in all it is a beautiful location and the staff was easy to work with.

Sent on 05/20/2011

Rachel · Married on 04/20/2018

We had a beautiful wedding at River Farm! It has a bit of a magical setting with the flowers, trees and Potomac river, and our guests really loved being there. It’s an unbeatable location, right near DC, but still feels like you are far away from the city. It’s also a great venue for having kids at a wedding because they can run around while the adults have a nice evening. We liked the idea of choosing our caterer, flowers, drinks, and everything else. One drawback is the number of bathrooms (and not really updated) and the evening time limitation as everything needs to be finished by 10 pm. In terms of service - Janet at River Farm was extremely responsive and helpful. We had no problems...and are still getting glowing compliments from our guests!

Sent on 05/09/2018

Michele-Ann · Married on 09/09/2017

We could not have asked for a better venue than River Farm. When we first visited, we were struck by the natural beauty of the location on the banks of the Potomac. The gardens, the meadow, the estate house, and the terrace all added to this beauty. We wanted a venue that was striking enough that it wouldn't need a lot of additional decoration, and River Farm absolutely fit the bill. Additionally, all of the distinct indoor and outdoor spaces available made it very easy to have the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception on-site, and our guests all loved strolling around and exploring the property on the wedding day. Janet and the rest of the River Farm staff were so easy to work with, and were always friendly and available when we had any questions in the months running up to the wedding itself, and on the wedding day itself. We would highly recommend River Farm as a wedding venue.

Sent on 10/24/2017

Janine · Married on 05/21/2016

Wonderful venue. The gardens are beautiful and the house is so well preserved. The venue staff were so helpful and working with Janet was wonderful. Even when we had rain the venue turned out beautiful and so did our pictures! At the end of the night the staff even found the missing shoe of one of my guests! Couldn't be happier with everything and would highly highly recommend this venue to anyone.

Sent on 06/17/2016

If you enjoy the look and feel of Mount Vernon or Colonial Williamsburg, River Farm is just the place for your wedding/reception. My daughter and I visited a number of places, and as soon as we saw River Farm, we knew it was special and just the place for her wedding. The setting is elegant, classy, and unique. We heard frequently from our guests what a spectacular place it was to have a wedding reception. The gardens, maintained by the American Horticultural Society gave our guests a beauiful place to stroll during cocktail hour, and the view of the Potomac in the background couldn't be matched. With a July wedding, it was hot, but having the air conditioned house and ballroom gave a comfortable place for dancing. Janet Daniels was wonderful to work with, and we found the whole experience of using River Farm a delight. If you want somethng different from the typical ballroom wedding reception, you definitely want to consider River Farm. It is close in to the DC area, unlike similar historic homes, which are miles away.

Sent on 11/02/2013

Ediana · Married on 06/01/2012

We had our outdoor ceremony at River Farm. River Farm is an amazing venue. The grounds are gorgeous!! Our contact at River Farm was great and very helpful. It poured the day of our wedding but we were still able to finish our ceremony right before the rain started! :) River Farm was the reason we decided to have a local wedding. We couldn't of asked for a better ceremony site!

Sent on 06/05/2012

Gillian · Married on 11/12/2011

This was a beautiful setting. Janet Daniels (rental manager) was a delight to work with. We had bald eagles fly by during the ceremony and a harvest moon reflected in the Potomac during the reception. Hard to beat.

Sent on 12/18/2011

Jennifer · Married on 10/15/2010

We had such a lovely wedding here, beautiful setting, gorgeous landscape which made for the most amazing pictures. The staff at River Farm was wonderful as well. We never had a single problem or issue. The one downside to renting this venue is the rules since it's a historical landmark. They are very strict with open flames and amplified music for certain locations, specifically outside.

Sent on 10/25/2010

Kerry · Married on 10/10/2010

River Farm is a really beautiful venue and the perfect setting for a wedding. As soon as my fiance and I went to visit it, we knew that it was where we wanted to get married. The gardens are so colorful and scenic (especially in the late spring, summer, and fall) that you really don't need a lot of added decor! The only drawbacks (that we didn't really realize until later in the planning process) are a few of their rules, which are due to it being a historical property. No open flame of any kind is allowed AT ALL. We had to use battery-operated votives, even outside. Even paper lanterns that were to be hung in the tent would have had to be treated with flame retardant and certified by a fire marshall before they could be hung. Also, you cannot have amplifed music outside. DJs who have worked at the venue before know how to aim the speakers out windows so that you can have dinner music on the patio, but the rule is something to be aware of. Otherwise, it's a beautiful place and the staff is great to work with. All of our guests remarked on how much they loved River Farm.

Sent on 10/28/2010

Meaghan · Married on 10/09/2010

My husband found River Farm and we absolutely fell in love with it. I think I went there a dozen times before our wedding! It is a hidden gem and our guests absolutely loved being here. The view is stunning and the gardens and general environment of the tent, the house, and the grounds is just so lovely. Our wedding day was truly perfect and I look forward to going back to River Farm for years to come and re-living those memories.

Sent on 11/11/2010

Pamela · Married on 06/06/2014

3.5

River Farm was a beautiful venue! There are 2 bathrooms and the ballroom is nice. But on a good day, the acoustics from the band floated from the indoor ballroom(where bands must be) outside to the patio and we had guests dancing everywhere.. The gardens are stunning and the guests fully enjoyed walking the grounds from the house to the Potomac River! What a very warm and inviting venue!

Sent on 07/30/2014

Allison · Married on 08/10/2013

River Farm is beautiful and everything went really well. Is definitely expensive for providing the venue only but the tented patio with beautiful gardens and indoor space for a break from the heat talked me into splurging. There are many restrictions that I don't understand. (Why can't you play amplified music outside during the ceremony?? I get dance music later in the evening but this seemed a little restrictive). Guests out by 10 is also a little early for what you're paying and considering the music is indoors anyway we aren't disturbing the neighborhood. But the people that work there are great and very nice and I was very happy with my choice to have our wedding here. People were stunned at the view and the pretty gardens.

Sent on 08/22/2013

Kimberly · Married on 05/08/2010

We used River Farm for our reception and were very glad that we did. The gardens were beautiful and provided a wonderful back drop for our photos. All of our guests really enjoyed exploring the site and raved about the beautiful setting. We did not have much contact with the staff at River Farm so I cannot comment on working with them. There was no need for me to be in contact because there were no issues. Our catering manager handled most of the contact with River Farm staff and, to the best of my knowledge, everything was smooth and easy.

Sent on 06/04/2010

I had both my Ceremony and Reception at River Farm. The place is gorgeous, and especially when you are using the outside space in the spring and summer, the flowers and details mean you don't need to do a lot of decorating. River Farm is also fantastic if you're looking for a place with history, which was one of the things we liked about it.

Janet was the site representative at our wedding, and she was incredible. We didn't have a planner or even a day of coordinator, but she helped to make sure all the vendors had things out in the right areas, answered all of our questions (we had many), and when my little cousin slipped and broke his arm, she drove him and his father to the hospital emergency room. She was fantastic, and very helpful to my parents, who stayed to the bitter end to pick up everything.

The only downsides of this site are:
    *It's definitely on the more expensive side, especially with a big group like mine during high season. However, the natural beauty does result in savings, and a tent is already set up outside.
    *Sometimes it can take a little while to get a response by email, because all of the wedding emails go to one group email address.
    *The ballroom area was a little smaller than I expected from pictures, and a little dated. But this is what you would expect for a historical site. And the ballroom ended up working out perfectly for our 140 guests...even with lots of people dancing.
    *There are a good number of restrictions (no candles/fire, no amplified music outside), so make sure that these work for you. Even so, River Farm was the perfect site for my wedding and I couldn't have asked for more!

Sent on 05/15/2014

L · Married on 04/21/2012

River Farm is an absolutely exquisite venue, and Janet is a pleasure to work with. River Farm was very flexible about letting us use the space in a way that worked for our event, and the gardens and house were stunning and perfectly put together on the day of our wedding. The only reason this is 4.5 instead of 5 stars is that they accidentally double-booked our wedding rehearsal with another event. We were still able to rehearse in a different area out front, but it was a bit of a last-minute surprise to have to call everyone coming and warn them not to intrude on the other event. On the plus side, River Farm was very apologetic and accommodating. Overall, we had a wonderful time, and couldn't imagine a more gorgeous setting to get married!

Sent on 05/21/2012

Erica · Married on 09/16/2017

We absolutely LOVED River Farm! When my (now husband) and I visited it we felt immediately 'at home' there and knew it would be the perfect venue for our wedding. The grounds are kept in immaculate condition and the gardens, mansion, and water view are stunning. It has everything you could want for a DC area wedding, the history of the house & property, proximity to fabulous hotels, and beautiful Potomac River views! It was charming, yet elegant and we got so many compliments from our guests! My vendors enjoyed working the venue, and our photos showed it truly was the perfect backdrop for our special day. The only reason it did not get 5 stars, was that one of the associates forgot to show up for our vendor walk through, and that was a bit errking as we were coming from 3 hrs away for it. Other than that, everything went off without a hitch! We couldn't have been happier with our choice! Everyone was friendly & accommodating, and it was the perfect size for our 125 guest wedding. I highly recommended getting bistro lights for the tent, they turned out so well!

Sent on 01/25/2018

Melinda · Married on 10/09/2016

3.0

One of the most beautiful venues just 4 miles south of Old Town. Historic gardens and grounds overlooking the Potomac - a property owned and farmed by Geo. Washington - make this an ideal setting for an outdoor wedding. When winds jeopardized the outdoor ceremony, we moved it indoors to the ballroom - the space was a bit tight, but it made for a more intimate ceremony. The day improved and we were able to be outdoors. Our guests raved about the setting, including the spacious tent (we did get tent sides since it was breezy - good call on our part). It's not an inexpensive rental, but Janet was willing to help us in many ways. Wish RF provided a tax-deduction in addition to the rental fee, as Woodend does (another nonprofit venue). Would also be good if RF provided better signage to guests - they had a big "closed" sign up by the entry gate that confused some guests - would have been better if they had said closed for private event or wedding. When my son & DIL first said they wanted an afternoon wedding, I thought it would be a mistake - but I now see that there is a magic to an afternoon wedding in one of the most beautiful settings in the Washington area. It worked out better than we dared dream.

Sent on 10/17/2016

River Farm - American Horticultural Society's reply:

We're so glad you had a such a great day! It's important to us that everyone goes away feeling like they did.
    As for the tax deduction situation: we do not hike our prices up so that part of your payment is tax deductible. We'd rather pass the savings on directly to you at the time of the rental.
    And as a reminder, one of our signs says "Closed for a Private Event" and the other says "Closed. Event Guests Only". We're sorry that it caused some confusion.
    We hope to see you here again - for a picnic, to see the gardens in different seasons, or for another special event!

River Farm is the perfect venue for a beautiful outdoor garden wedding. Our guests enjoyed wandering the gardens and walking down to the river to enjoy the view. It is a truly spectacular place to get married. Janet was so helpful with fielding our numerous questions, and was very accommodating.

Sent on 07/31/2014

Allison · Married on 10/25/2009

We had our October wedding at River Farm and I couldn't be happier with the day's events. Thank God we had amazing weather though- RF didn't seem to have a great "rain option". I did have to deal with multiple staff members during our planning (which was under a year) which was frustrating at times- I guess they have high turn over? Overall the staff is very helpful though. This is a well kept DC secret and perfect if you are looking to have an outdoor wedding!

Sent on 02/24/2010

Cheryl · Married on 06/12/2011

3.5

River Farm was such a beauiful place to hold a wedding. All my guests absolutely loved the venue. And Janet from River Farm was excellent to work with. She was very helpful. I was able to get a great price for my Sunday wedding as well, since it was less than 70 people. I do have to say I dont think it is the best place to have a huge wedding or more than 150 people. The tent is big but the dance floor which is inside the house can only hold 80 people. And if you are doing amplified music it has to be done inside the house. Also if it rains you can only have 60-80 people inside the ballroom for the ceremony. They are pretty busy so getting them on the phone was sometimes hard, but they responded to email quickly. There was a staff member on site the day of the wedding but we never saw her come out of her office. Which was fine because my day of coordinator and caterers took care of everything. The only downfall to the venue is you only pay for the venue. You need to get everything else yourself. And you need to get a day of coordinator or wedding planner the day of to have a wedding here, it is such a big venue guests could get lost on where to go and what to do next if you dont have one. If you are having a wedding of less that 150 people and you want it outside I think River Farm is one of the best places to have it in the DC area.

Sent on 07/20/2011
  • Libby

Libby · Married on 04/28/2012

3.0

River Farm is a great spot for an outdoor ceremony and tented reception...provided the weather is good! We did our ceremony in the garden and dinner in the tent, and it was just beautiful. We had 125 people, which seemed like a good size...not too crowded and not too empty. It ended up pouring after our ceremony, and the tent was very cozy and dry! I think River Farm would be tight for a large group. The setting is just gorgeous, and you don't need anything (flowers, aisle runner, etc.) to enhance it! The views are spectacular, and it's just a fun place for guests to check out during cocktail hour. There are some restrictions about outdoor music, open flames, etc. but we did not have a problem working around them. Janet Daniels who works in the office is the absolute best...knows everything and anything about River Farm and always gets back to your emails promptly...and with smiley faces. :) The only reason I give it three stars for value is because it's pricey and literally you don't get anything else for your money other than use of the house, tent, and grounds. Tent sides, heaters, AC, music, food, liquor license, fire marshall fees, etc. is all extra...just good to know for budgeting purposes!

Sent on 05/27/2012

Tara · Married on 11/15/2008

3.0

We hosted our wedding reception at the River Farm in Alexandria, Virginia. We selected this site because we liked the uniqueness of the home being historical and loved the location on the Potomac River. The American Horicultural Society is located at the River Farm so the grounds are immaculate and beautiful during any season. A tent covering the outdoor patio is included in the rental fee so you can enjoy the indoor and outdoor vibe. Our guests commented throughout the reception how nice the home and grounds were and the backdrop for our photographs was wonderful! We were very pleased with our choice!

Sent on 12/01/2008

Kimberly · Married on 07/19/2008

3.0

River Farm is absolutely gorgeous and just a place that is very hard to describe. The beauty is just breathtaking. We had great experiences with the event planners (emma and sara) but when they were not there, other staff members would fill in and each time was unpleasant. We had two very bad experiences, one on the wedding day -- the women at the desk would glare/frown at me and guest that walked by her office. Otherwise, the ceremony site is one of a kind and spectacular.

Sent on 08/11/2008

River Farm - American Horticultural Society's reply:

Dear Kim - Thank you for taking the time to review River Farm as we are always striving to provide the best location and service. As the small non-profit we are, we depend heavily on the support of our friends, clients, associates and members. Best wishes to you on your future adventures and we hope you will visit us again soon~
    Sarah

Emily · Married on 07/03/2009

River Farm was a fantastic location. Our guests loved the gardens where we set up bocce ball and cornhole. The tent was great and the ballroom was sufficient. My only qualms were the restrictions on open flame and the staff in the background of my pictures with jeans on! Sometimes response time was slow.

Sent on 07/16/2010

Jessica · Married on 07/05/2008

3.0

River Farm was a beautiful wedding site - everything we hoped!

Sent on 11/03/2008