51 Reviews for River Farm, a Garden Estate

Uncovered Outdoor (6)
Wheelchair Access (4)
Outside Vendors (3)
Bridal Suite (3)

Cannot say enough good things about River Farm!! Knew we wanted an outdoor venue and this was perfect. So many beautiful areas - the gardens, the river the house. Our wedding was exactly what we imagined - my husband will tell you he got sick of how many people went up to compliment how beautiful the venue was. Janet was amazing to work with, answered questions promptly. Easy location for guests to get to if they're staying in Old Town. Plenty of options there (ceremony, cocktail site) to make the wedding your own. Book now!

Profile Picture Caitlyn, 5/5/18, 5 Reviews
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

We had a beautiful wedding at River Farm! It has a bit of a magical setting with the flowers, trees and Potomac river, and our guests really loved being there. It’s an unbeatable location, right near DC, but still feels like you are far away from the city. It’s also a great venue for having kids at a wedding because they can run around while the adults have a nice evening. We liked the idea of choosing our caterer, flowers, drinks, and everything else. One drawback is the number of bathrooms (and not really updated) and the evening time limitation as everything needs to be finished by 10 pm. In terms of service - Janet at River Farm was extremely responsive and helpful. We had no problems...and are still getting glowing compliments from our guests!

Profile Picture Rachel, 4/20/18, 2 Reviews
Category: Unique Services (Other)

We absolutely LOVED River Farm! When my (now husband) and I visited it we felt immediately 'at home' there and knew it would be the perfect venue for our wedding. The grounds are kept in immaculate condition and the gardens, mansion, and water view are stunning. It has everything you could want for a DC area wedding, the history of the house & property, proximity to fabulous hotels, and beautiful Potomac River views! It was charming, yet elegant and we got so many compliments from our guests! My vendors enjoyed working the venue, and our photos showed it truly was the perfect backdrop for our special day. The only reason it did not get 5 stars, was that one of the associates forgot to show up for our vendor walk through, and that was a bit errking as we were coming from 3 hrs away for it. Other than that, everything went off without a hitch! We couldn't have been happier with our choice! Everyone was friendly & accommodating, and it was the perfect size for our 125 guest wedding. I highly recommended getting bistro lights for the tent, they turned out so well!

Profile Picture Erica, 9/16/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Bridal Suite, Outside Vendors

We could not have asked for a better venue than River Farm. When we first visited, we were struck by the natural beauty of the location on the banks of the Potomac. The gardens, the meadow, the estate house, and the terrace all added to this beauty. We wanted a venue that was striking enough that it wouldn't need a lot of additional decoration, and River Farm absolutely fit the bill. Additionally, all of the distinct indoor and outdoor spaces available made it very easy to have the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception on-site, and our guests all loved strolling around and exploring the property on the wedding day. Janet and the rest of the River Farm staff were so easy to work with, and were always friendly and available when we had any questions in the months running up to the wedding itself, and on the wedding day itself. We would highly recommend River Farm as a wedding venue.

Profile Picture Michele-Ann, 9/9/17, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Bridal Suite, Outside Vendors, Parking, Wheelchair Access

My now husband and I fell in love the second we visited River Farm. It has everything you could ask for- multiple ceremony options (including an inside option if it rains, which we needed!), views of the river, a spacious reception tent with lighting (INCLUDED!), lush garden spaces, and of course the beautiful historic home itself. Even on our very rainy wedding day, the property looked stunning and provided a lot of options for great photos. Janet helped us throughout the planning process, and was exceedingly professional and warm. She was happy to answer any questions that arose and worked well with our caterer to make a seamless transition to our "plan B" when it became apparent our outside ceremony wouldn't be feasible. This spot truly is a hidden gem, and its price is extraordinarily reasonable for the amount of time you get at the venue (including the option to drop of items the evening before), the incredible support Janet provides, and the sheer beauty of the venue itself.

Profile Picture Jennifer, 9/2/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bridal Suite, Outside Vendors, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor

The team at River Farm truly care about their patrons and want them to have the best event possible. We couldn't express more how much we LOVED having our event there. Everything from the beautiful scenery to the historical home was magical. Our guests are still talking about the venue and amazed they've lived in DC for years without ever knowing about it. River Farm is a hidden gem that everyone should experience. I hope everyone is lucky enough to have or attend at least one event there!

Profile Picture Madiha, 8/3/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

One of the most beautiful venues just 4 miles south of Old Town. Historic gardens and grounds overlooking the Potomac - a property owned and farmed by Geo. Washington - make this an ideal setting for an outdoor wedding. When winds jeopardized the outdoor ceremony, we moved it indoors to the ballroom - the space was a bit tight, but it made for a more intimate ceremony. The day improved and we were able to be outdoors. Our guests raved about the setting, including the spacious tent (we did get tent sides since it was breezy - good call on our part). It's not an inexpensive rental, but Janet was willing to help us in many ways. Wish RF provided a tax-deduction in addition to the rental fee, as Woodend does (another nonprofit venue). Would also be good if RF provided better signage to guests - they had a big "closed" sign up by the entry gate that confused some guests - would have been better if they had said closed for private event or wedding. When my son & DIL first said they wanted an afternoon wedding, I thought it would be a mistake - but I now see that there is a magic to an afternoon wedding in one of the most beautiful settings in the Washington area. It worked out better than we dared dream.

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture User7085787, 1+ year ago, 6 Reviews
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

As soon as we saw River Farm, we knew it would be the perfect place for our venue. The grounds are gorgeous and we loved having one location for both the ceremony and the reception. There are so many different areas and options for the ceremony, cocktail hour, pictures, etc. Janet was a joy to work with and a true bright spot in our wedding planning. She was always helpful and responsive. Another great thing about this venue - a tent is on site in season and included in the venue fee. Everyone commented on the beauty of River Farm and many local guests were surprised they had never heard of it - hidden gem!

Profile Picture Courtney, 9/24/16, 6 Reviews
Services Used: Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Parking

River Farm was the perfect venue for our wedding! It is so beautiful and there are so many gardens to spread out in and explore during the reception. We thought the staff, especially Janet, did a great job of helping us to plan the day's events. We thought this was a lovely, down-to-earth place to get married!

Profile Picture User7081968, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Wonderful venue. The gardens are beautiful and the house is so well preserved. The venue staff were so helpful and working with Janet was wonderful. Even when we had rain the venue turned out beautiful and so did our pictures! At the end of the night the staff even found the missing shoe of one of my guests! Couldn't be happier with everything and would highly highly recommend this venue to anyone.

Profile Picture Janine, 5/21/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Covered Outdoor, Parking
3.9

River Farm is beyond beautiful. If you want an outdoor wedding in an historic setting, this is the place for you. It's easy to work with the River Farm staff because River Farm really doesn't provide anything, besides a venue - you're on your own to book all other vendors. But River Farm didn't give us a hard time about any of the vendors we booked (most, but not all, of which were on River Farm's preferred vendors list). They are very strict about their no outdoor amplified sound policy, and they do charge for every extra hour ($500!). But we would never have picked anywhere else. The home and gardens are so romantic.

Profile Picture User5447242, 2+ years ago, 11 Reviews
Services Used: Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor
3.9

The River Farm is absolutely stunning! It was the perfect location for our wedding day.

Profile Picture User6688481, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Parking

River Farm was a perfect venue for our wedding! The staff was so great to work with. They always answered my emails promptly and they were full of great suggestions and ideas. The gardens were a beautiful backdrop for our wedding portraits, and the interior of the house is beautiful too! The upstairs "bride room" was perfect for peeking out the window to watch your guests arriving. If I could do it all over again I'd choose River Farm for sure!

Profile Picture Amy, 3/12/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We worked with Janet and had nothing but pleasant experiences. She was quick to respond to emails and offered us her office to store our supplies for the wedding the night before (booze and decorations). The property itself is just amazing and they've been doing a bunch of work over the past year to improve the house and grounds. They were very flexible to our needs and requests and it was overall just a pleasant experience. The only minor hiccup we had was in regards to our rehearsal - something was lost in communication and there was an event starting when we were going to have our rehearsal. They were very apologetic and worked quickly to help find a different time that worked for us.

Profile Picture Kayla, 9/5/15, 9 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I CANNOT say enough about this great venue! The wedding I attended was FLAWless--due in large part to this beautiful setting. The tented patio (great when there were a few unexpected raindrops!) overlooked the Potomac, and the Manor house was so homey and comfortable. They even had a place to hang and display family pictures, and a ballroom that was perfect for dancing! The property was historically interesting--once belonging to George Washington himself! But even all THAT paled in comparison to the STUNNING grounds--beautiful fragrant flowers and rolling greens. I wanted to move in! I will recommend this fabulous venue to every prospective bride I know--and I hope I get another invitation soon :-)

Profile Picture User6546095, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I grew up in the Mount Vernon area so River Farm has always had a special place in my heart. However, our wedding at River Farm was above and beyond my dreams. Janet was so easy to work with and very responsive. While it is clear that she and her team have a lot of experience in hosting weddings, they are still able to create a unique wedding experience for each couple. We lucked out with the most beautiful spring day and the venue was just breathtaking. It is important to note that they have great inclement weather back-up policies in place. I loved that our guests were able to wander throughout the venue, and that we were able to create separate event areas for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. We were also able to accommodate a live band in the ballroom for the reception and even with a packed dance floor, it did not feel cramped. I can't say enough wonderful things about River Farm as our wedding venue!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 4/18/15, 10 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I have attended two weddings at River Farm and both were tailored extremely well to each of the individuals' needs. The location is beautiful, with the surrounding gardens creating a wonderful atmosphere. The buildings were spacious and the outdoor space was perfect. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a unique and historical event location.

Profile Picture Alexandra, 10/13/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

River Farm is a great location that offered not only the outside for our use, but the inside which made the decision the right one. It's beautiful in the summer time in the gardens and has a great view of the river. We were even able to see fireworks in MD/DC.

Profile Picture User4287746, 2+ years ago, 7 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

River Farm is the perfect venue for a beautiful outdoor garden wedding. Our guests enjoyed wandering the gardens and walking down to the river to enjoy the view. It is a truly spectacular place to get married. Janet was so helpful with fielding our numerous questions, and was very accommodating.

Profile Picture User3307472, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I searched high and low around Northern Virginia for the perfect location that would be historical, outdoors, beautiful, convenient and most importantly, in our budget. River Farm was all of these and more! We were lucky to have perfect weather on our wedding day and every single guest commented to me about how beautiful the property was. Our pictures turned out AMAZING and everything was just the way we pictured it. Janet, the event coordinator, was extremely helpful and always responded to any questions we had within the same day. I highly recommend River Farm!!!

Profile Picture Natalie, 6/14/14, 8 Reviews
4.7

River Farm was a beautiful venue! There are 2 bathrooms and the ballroom is nice. But on a good day, the acoustics from the band floated from the indoor ballroom(where bands must be) outside to the patio and we had guests dancing everywhere.. The gardens are stunning and the guests fully enjoyed walking the grounds from the house to the Potomac River! What a very warm and inviting venue!

Profile Picture Pamela, 6/6/14, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I had both my Ceremony and Reception at River Farm. The place is gorgeous, and especially when you are using the outside space in the spring and summer, the flowers and details mean you don't need to do a lot of decorating. River Farm is also fantastic if you're looking for a place with history, which was one of the things we liked about it.

Janet was the site representative at our wedding, and she was incredible. We didn't have a planner or even a day of coordinator, but she helped to make sure all the vendors had things out in the right areas, answered all of our questions (we had many), and when my little cousin slipped and broke his arm, she drove him and his father to the hospital emergency room. She was fantastic, and very helpful to my parents, who stayed to the bitter end to pick up everything.

The only downsides of this site are:
*It's definitely on the more expensive side, especially with a big group like mine during high season. However, the natural beauty does result in savings, and a tent is already set up outside.
*Sometimes it can take a little while to get a response by email, because all of the wedding emails go to one group email address.
*The ballroom area was a little smaller than I expected from pictures, and a little dated. But this is what you would expect for a historical site. And the ballroom ended up working out perfectly for our 140 guests...even with lots of people dancing.
*There are a good number of restrictions (no candles/fire, no amplified music outside), so make sure that these work for you. Even so, River Farm was the perfect site for my wedding and I couldn't have asked for more!

Profile Picture User3315631, 2+ years ago, 8 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

River Farm is an amazing place to get married. Because it is maintained by the American Horticultural Society, it is stunning. The event manager there is very friendly, extremely responsive to email and easy to work with. She was very accommodating - letting us bring things in early when no other event had booked the space. They even provide you with an excellent recommended vendors list. Practically everyone we used came from that list and all were great. You can definitely trust River Farm to provide great recommendations and a beautiful place for an event.

Profile Picture Kate, 10/26/13, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

When my husband and I got engaged, we knew we wanted our wedding to be in the fall, and outdoors. River Farm was the perfect backdrop for celebrating coming together as one. It has acres of beautiful gardens and old trees (this was part of George Washington's farm!) and the house is just magnificent! River Farm offers multiple locations for the actual wedding ceremony, as well as the tent for the reception; additionally, the ballroom of the house is just footsteps away, which we utilized for the cake and dancing. Aaron and Janet were awesome to work with and offered advice to assist in making the behind the scenes go smoothly. Our wedding was beautiful and the guests really enjoyed touring the beautiful landscape!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 10/6/13, 4 Reviews