River Farm, a Garden Estate Reviews

53 Reviews for River Farm, a Garden Estate

53 River Farm, a Garden Estate Reviews

Meredith · Married on 10/26/2018

The Perfect Wedding Setting

River Farm was the very first place we looked at for our October wedding. It is truly a gem! And even more wonderful is Janet who serves as the lead for all weddings and events. Janet is hilarious, warm and genuinely wants to help couples on their special day. The grounds are beautiful and make for a wonderful backdrop for your vows. The new and improved tent is incredibly lovely and can be heated or cooled in case of inclement weather. It rained on our wedding day, but we were dry and warm inside that beautiful tent, which by the way, has 2 incredible chandeliers. Our guests are still raving about River Farm!!!!

Elizabeth · Married on 10/05/2018

If you are looking for a gorgeous venue who knows what they are talking about when it comes to hosting events, look no further! They made everything effortless when we were setting up for our wedding. Janet is so knowledgeable and helpful. The location is to die for. We heard all night how much everyone loved our venue and how gorgeous it was! Dancing must be in the ballroom because River Farm is in a neighborhood and there are noise ordinances. I was a bit worried having it slightly separate from the dining area just outside, but I had guests say how much they loved this, because if they wanted to talk, they could go outside and they didn’t have to yell at eachother over music. Highly recommend!

Madiha · Married on 08/03/2017

The team at River Farm truly care about their patrons and want them to have the best event possible. We couldn't express more how much we LOVED having our event there. Everything from the beautiful scenery to the historical home was magical. Our guests are still talking about the venue and amazed they've lived in DC for years without ever knowing about it. River Farm is a hidden gem that everyone should experience. I hope everyone is lucky enough to have or attend at least one event there!

Courtney · Married on 09/24/2016

As soon as we saw River Farm, we knew it would be the perfect place for our venue. The grounds are gorgeous and we loved having one location for both the ceremony and the reception. There are so many different areas and options for the ceremony, cocktail hour, pictures, etc. Janet was a joy to work with and a true bright spot in our wedding planning. She was always helpful and responsive. Another great thing about this venue - a tent is on site in season and included in the venue fee. Everyone commented on the beauty of River Farm and many local guests were surprised they had never heard of it - hidden gem!

Amy · Married on 03/12/2016

River Farm was a perfect venue for our wedding! The staff was so great to work with. They always answered my emails promptly and they were full of great suggestions and ideas. The gardens were a beautiful backdrop for our wedding portraits, and the interior of the house is beautiful too! The upstairs "bride room" was perfect for peeking out the window to watch your guests arriving. If I could do it all over again I'd choose River Farm for sure!

Katrin · Married on 03/12/2016

The Staff at River Farm is incredible helpful and will go out of their way to make your day super special! The venue is stunning with its historic background! We had about 85 guests at our March wedding and would recommend this venue to everyone!

Kayla · Married on 09/05/2015

We worked with Janet and had nothing but pleasant experiences. She was quick to respond to emails and offered us her office to store our supplies for the wedding the night before (booze and decorations). The property itself is just amazing and they've been doing a bunch of work over the past year to improve the house and grounds. They were very flexible to our needs and requests and it was overall just a pleasant experience. The only minor hiccup we had was in regards to our rehearsal - something was lost in communication and there was an event starting when we were going to have our rehearsal. They were very apologetic and worked quickly to help find a different time that worked for us.

I CANNOT say enough about this great venue! The wedding I attended was FLAWless--due in large part to this beautiful setting. The tented patio (great when there were a few unexpected raindrops!) overlooked the Potomac, and the Manor house was so homey and comfortable. They even had a place to hang and display family pictures, and a ballroom that was perfect for dancing! The property was historically interesting--once belonging to George Washington himself! But even all THAT paled in comparison to the STUNNING grounds--beautiful fragrant flowers and rolling greens. I wanted to move in! I will recommend this fabulous venue to every prospective bride I know--and I hope I get another invitation soon :-)

Elizabeth · Married on 04/18/2015

I grew up in the Mount Vernon area so River Farm has always had a special place in my heart. However, our wedding at River Farm was above and beyond my dreams. Janet was so easy to work with and very responsive. While it is clear that she and her team have a lot of experience in hosting weddings, they are still able to create a unique wedding experience for each couple. We lucked out with the most beautiful spring day and the venue was just breathtaking. It is important to note that they have great inclement weather back-up policies in place. I loved that our guests were able to wander throughout the venue, and that we were able to create separate event areas for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. We were also able to accommodate a live band in the ballroom for the reception and even with a packed dance floor, it did not feel cramped. I can't say enough wonderful things about River Farm as our wedding venue!

River Farm is a great location that offered not only the outside for our use, but the inside which made the decision the right one. It's beautiful in the summer time in the gardens and has a great view of the river. We were even able to see fireworks in MD/DC.

Natalie · Married on 06/14/2014

My husband and I searched high and low around Northern Virginia for the perfect location that would be historical, outdoors, beautiful, convenient and most importantly, in our budget. River Farm was all of these and more! We were lucky to have perfect weather on our wedding day and every single guest commented to me about how beautiful the property was. Our pictures turned out AMAZING and everything was just the way we pictured it. Janet, the event coordinator, was extremely helpful and always responded to any questions we had within the same day. I highly recommend River Farm!!!

Kate · Married on 10/26/2013

River Farm is an amazing place to get married. Because it is maintained by the American Horticultural Society, it is stunning. The event manager there is very friendly, extremely responsive to email and easy to work with. She was very accommodating - letting us bring things in early when no other event had booked the space. They even provide you with an excellent recommended vendors list. Practically everyone we used came from that list and all were great. You can definitely trust River Farm to provide great recommendations and a beautiful place for an event.

When my husband and I got engaged, we knew we wanted our wedding to be in the fall, and outdoors. River Farm was the perfect backdrop for celebrating coming together as one. It has acres of beautiful gardens and old trees (this was part of George Washington's farm!) and the house is just magnificent! River Farm offers multiple locations for the actual wedding ceremony, as well as the tent for the reception; additionally, the ballroom of the house is just footsteps away, which we utilized for the cake and dancing. Aaron and Janet were awesome to work with and offered advice to assist in making the behind the scenes go smoothly. Our wedding was beautiful and the guests really enjoyed touring the beautiful landscape!

Bonnie · Married on 06/01/2013

We absolutely LOVED using River Farm for our wedding! It was by far the most beautiful, outdoor setting in the Virginia area. The staff, especially Janet, were lovely to work with; they helped us put together our dream wedding and worked hard to accommodate our needs. The property does have some restrictions around noise (no outdoor music) and certain fixtures (no candle flames on tables), but that didn't impact our day at all. We have friends who are who still come up to us and tell us how fantastic our big day was! Also, compared to other venues, it is priced reasonably. You do have to bring in all your own equipment (tables, chairs, etc.) but when you work with the right caterer this should not be a problem. I highly recommend this venue if you want an beautiful, outdoor wedding. The gardens and landscape is so nice that you barely need to spend money on decorations! We just loved it!

• Franziska

Franziska · Married on 09/18/2011

River Farm was such a beautiful venue to have our ceremony/reception. I closely worked with Susan, who was very accommodating and responsive to any of my inquires/emails.
    We had the ceremony in the garden, which is simply magnificent and the reception in the tent, which is set up between April and October and included in the rental price. Dancing was in the ball room, which a lot of our guests loved, because those who weren't necessarily into dancing, could stay in the tent/garden area and would not be bothered by the music. My husband and I especially liked that we were able to bring our own liquor and any other vendors (we didn't have to choose from their preferred vendor list). The venue is simply gorgeous.
    Only negative point is that in case of rain, sides for the tent will need to get rented (not included in rental price).

gail · Married on 07/24/2010

What a magical place for a wedding. Overlooking the Potomac, high up on a hill, rich with American history.

You rent the entire estate and boy is it worth it. You have the house, the land, the gardens maintained by none other than the American Horticultural Society, a huge tent, and just one of the most spectacular settings in all of Washington DC.

The staff at George Washington's River Farm are incredibly helpful, immediately answering any question and very accommodating to requests. Janet Daniels was so very nice to work with. We can not sing her praises enough.

All our guests said from the moment they drove up the drive they knew this would be something special. Our guests were there from 4 to 10 and so many commented how the time flew by. They so enjoyed walking in the gardens, touring the house, sitting on the lawn or under the tent, dancing in the ballroom. We even had a beautiful full moon to boot!

It was an enchanted day at GW River Farm for the bride, groom, their parents and all our guests.

Cari · Married on 05/08/2009

River Farm is a magical place! For those that would like an outdoor wedding, I cannot think of a better location in the Alexandria area. The gardens are beautiful (and they worked hard to make it look good the days leading up to our wedding) and the home overlooks the Potomac River. Everyone kept raving about what a beautiful location we had selected. Both the grounds and home are lovely to explore, and people had fun doing do.

A tent is always kept up, so in case of rain, the tent is there. We had sunshine, so the ceremony was outdoors with the reception under the tent. Then for dancing, we moved into the ballroom! All in all, we couldn't have been more pleased!

Lynn · Married on 06/22/2007

River Farm is an absolutely beautiful historic home and garden setting. It is currently run by the American Horticultural Society so the grounds are breathtaking. The flowers and gardens are what drew me to the location. The ceremony is outdoors in the gardens and you are surrounded by such beautiful flowers I couldn't resist. The site of the river was an added bonus. I'm overwhelmed by the beauty every time I go there.

Mairin · Married on 07/22/2006

My wedding was a dream come true, all because of River Farm! The setting could not have been more beautiful - we had our ceremony in the garden and the natural beauty of the flowers in bloom surpassed anything we could have created on our own, even with the most talented florist! Everyone on the staff was incredibly accomodating in the planning stages, and my family has even remained involved with other events there since our wedding - my mom still volunteers there because she had such a great experience working with them.

Caitlyn · Married on 05/05/2018

Cannot say enough good things about River Farm!! Knew we wanted an outdoor venue and this was perfect. So many beautiful areas - the gardens, the river the house. Our wedding was exactly what we imagined - my husband will tell you he got sick of how many people went up to compliment how beautiful the venue was. Janet was amazing to work with, answered questions promptly. Easy location for guests to get to if they're staying in Old Town. Plenty of options there (ceremony, cocktail site) to make the wedding your own. Book now!

River Farm, a Garden Estate 1
    River Farm, a Garden Estate 2
    River Farm, a Garden Estate 3
    River Farm, a Garden Estate 4
    River Farm, a Garden Estate 5

claudia · Married on 05/28/2016

River Farm was the perfect venue for our wedding! It is so beautiful and there are so many gardens to spread out in and explore during the reception. We thought the staff, especially Janet, did a great job of helping us to plan the day's events. We thought this was a lovely, down-to-earth place to get married!

I have attended two weddings at River Farm and both were tailored extremely well to each of the individuals' needs. The location is beautiful, with the surrounding gardens creating a wonderful atmosphere. The buildings were spacious and the outdoor space was perfect. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a unique and historical event location.

Emily · Married on 10/06/2012

We fell in love with River Farm on our first visit there. We hosted 120 guests and had our ceremony outside in the garden area, dinner under the tent, and dancing in the ballroom. The grounds are beautiful, with a lovely garden area and a meadow that leads down to the Potomac River. Because it is an historic site and in a residential area, there are several restrictions (noise limitations, no open flame) but it didn't get in the way of us having a good time. We are looking forward to visiting again soon.

Lauren · Married on 04/23/2011

I really enjoyed having my wedding at River Farm. I received so many compliments on the setting. The landscape is so beautiful! A few problems: 1. they do not allow open flames, I adjusted by using battery operated tea lights.. not a big deal. 2. It rained the night before and there really was no option for Rain, thankfully the sun came out right before my ceremony. But it did make for much panic the night before!

All in all it is a beautiful location and the staff was easy to work with.